PDA

View Full Version : Rectangular Revolver Grips?

Doc_Glock
04-11-2021, 12:39 PM
As I have been working with the wee J frame more, I find I have some difficulty indexing the grip in a lateral plane. Much more difficulty than I would have with say a G42 or LCP. Sometimes I get this which is perfect. 70024Sometimes I get this which is less than ideal.

The rest of my post got eaten in a glitch but should have said:

I realize Revolvers have been around a lot longer than me. And that the problem is probably more how I am ripping than the grip itself. However, is there a more rectangular type revolver grip that is not so rounded that may help me with my indexing?

Doc_Glock
04-11-2021, 12:56 PM
Whatever glitch is messing up the post is also messing up the photos. Hopefully y’all can puzzle out that sometimes I get a grip that is pretty off laterally.

Revolvers don’t Have a nice place to put my first web like a small semi auto does. It’s possible o just need to totally rebuild how I grip the things.

Half Moon
04-11-2021, 12:56 PM
It might be worth trying a grip that covers the back strap. The Taurus boot grips for instance stand proud enough off the rear frame to make establishing a consistent grip pretty natural.

ETA a photo showing what I mean:

LtDave
04-11-2021, 01:07 PM
Herrett Shooting Ace might be what you are looking for:

Pretty flat, extends the reach.

SCCY Marshal
04-11-2021, 01:14 PM
The Barami Hip-Grip is fairly wide in the butt and can make things feel square-ish. It was once common to put them on a revolver even if one didn't want the belt tongue. They'd just cut and grin it off because they like the grip profile. Being cheap molded jobs, they require deburring and some filing even with the backstrap rather often, though.

They're common on Ebay and dirt cheap as a test of your theory before committing to other options.

OlongJohnson
04-11-2021, 01:19 PM
It might be worth trying a grip that covers the back strap. The Taurus boot grips for instance stand proud enough off the rear frame to make establishing a consistent grip pretty natural.

Taurus grip is pretty blocky and square. Too much so for my taste. Will put in another vote for the Sile J frame grip, which is fairly cheap on fleabay, last I looked.

Doc_Glock
04-11-2021, 04:25 PM

I see that VZ sells a wrap around grip and that may be the ticket.

Half Moon
04-11-2021, 04:46 PM
I see that VZ sells a wrap around grip and that may be the ticket.

No experience with VZ's, but if it they create an easy tactile distinction between grip and frame I definitely think that will help. Taurus and Pachymayr wraparound grips both do that for me on J's. Otherwise grip fit and preference are a very personal thing. Think you'll find most of the folks that have played with small frame revolvers awhile have the notorious box full of grips. Hope you find your perfect fit first time out!

gato naranja
04-11-2021, 06:18 PM
As I have been working with the wee J frame more, I find I have some difficulty indexing the grip in a lateral plane. Much more difficulty than I would have with say a G42 or LCP. Sometimes I get this which is perfect. 70024Sometimes I get this which is less than ideal.

The rest of my post got eaten in a glitch but should have said:

I realize Revolvers have been around a lot longer than me. And that the problem is probably more how I am ripping than the grip itself. However, is there a more rectangular type revolver grip that is not so rounded that may help me with my indexing?

So as I understand it, in aeronautical terms you are having trouble with "yaw." I get that naturally with the Beretta PX4, and the "fix" was training myself to index it differently than what came naturally.

In revolvers, I dislike the SP101 factory grip because it is about as wide as it is fore-and-aft, and I might as well be holding a piece of 1" x 1" lumber with the edges radiused... they can "yaw" on me something fierce. Some people love 'em, but I found that I much prefer the big, but almost Farrant-shaped CTC grips or some flavor of Hogue monogrip.

It has been a while since my J-frame days, but I liked the Uncle Mike's grips of the time.

JTMcC
04-11-2021, 08:29 PM
Pachmayr Grippers of all things give me a much more slab side 1911 "feel", that I really like.

RevolverRob
04-11-2021, 10:44 PM
I don't see what kind of grips you're running.

You might try open backstrap, no finger grooves. It will drive your hand deeper under the trigger guard and higher onto the hump.

The Hideout Grips by Precision Gun Specialities might work well for you: http://www.precisiongun.com/

Brownells stocks them, but are out of stock right now: https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/grip-parts/grips/s-w-hideout-revolver-grips-prod9924.aspx

Doc_Glock
04-12-2021, 12:52 PM
So as I understand it, in aeronautical terms you are having trouble with "yaw."

That is 100% a great description. Need a longer rudder!

RevolverRob
04-12-2021, 01:06 PM
Just stole this from over on VZ's website.

This is a general edification post that might help folks who are having trouble with revolver stocks.

If you look here, it's counter-intuitive but the longer wrap-around grips will make your hand sit lower on the gun and tend to result in twisting in the hand (yaw). The reason is because unlike a semi-auto, the actual grip frame of a revolver extends well above the trigger guard, the bore axis in a revolver is quite low overall.

Grips that fill-in between the frame and trigger guard, automatically move the hand lower on the hump, the more they fill in between the trigger guard and grip frame, the lower the hand gets.

Add in a covered backstrap and you push the gun up and forward relative to the hand (again forcing the gun to sit higher).

You can counter this by removing "fill-in" on one or both sides of the grip frame. If you go from a wrap around to a standard grip (shown here), it seems counter-intuitive, but you'll get more hand around the gun and it will sit deeper in the hand, because the backstrap is no longer pushing the gun up in your palm. If you go to the boot grips your hand will get even higher (gun even lower) on the gun, because your fingers are driving higher into the trigger-guard/grip-frame gap than with the standard grip.

You'll see from time to time, pictures of old timer guns that used basically just the upper-most portion of a grip adapter from Pachymar or Tyler along with regular stocks. This is a grip setup that will get you HIGH on the hump and low to the bore.

OlongJohnson
04-12-2021, 01:31 PM
You forgot Bill Jordan's design, which both fills in behind the trigger guard to prevent Glock Knuckle and allows you to get your hand nice and high on the back strap. And keeps you from having to use your second knuckle's "power crease" when you have big hands.

Half Moon
04-12-2021, 01:58 PM
Just stole this from over on VZ's website.

This is a general edification post that might help folks who are having trouble with revolver stocks.

If you look here, it's counter-intuitive but the longer wrap-around grips will make your hand sit lower on the gun and tend to result in twisting in the hand (yaw). The reason is because unlike a semi-auto, the actual grip frame of a revolver extends well above the trigger guard, the bore axis in a revolver is quite low overall.

Grips that fill-in between the frame and trigger guard, automatically move the hand lower on the hump, the more they fill in between the trigger guard and grip frame, the lower the hand gets.

Add in a covered backstrap and you push the gun up and forward relative to the hand (again forcing the gun to sit higher).

You can counter this by removing "fill-in" on one or both sides of the grip frame. If you go from a wrap around to a standard grip (shown here), it seems counter-intuitive, but you'll get more hand around the gun and it will sit deeper in the hand, because the backstrap is no longer pushing the gun up in your palm. If you go to the boot grips your hand will get even higher (gun even lower) on the gun, because your fingers are driving higher into the trigger-guard/grip-frame gap than with the standard grip.

You'll see from time to time, pictures of old timer guns that used basically just the upper-most portion of a grip adapter from Pachymar or Tyler along with regular stocks. This is a grip setup that will get you HIGH on the hump and low to the bore.

Yes, designs like the Taurus boot raise the bore axis and can actually change POA vs. POI because of the change in recoil interaction (sometimes in good ways, sometimes in bad). Based on the pics it's looking like OP is having inconsistencies in grip though moreso than recoil control. This is where I think the wraparound will help by better ensuring a consistent placement of the hand. On the advantages of a higher grip and hand deeper up behind the trigger guard: YMMV but, for instance, our 640 came with smooth micarta magnas and, at least for me, all the advantages of a higher grip didn't help. Control was poor in actual draw and shooting. Traditional checkered wood magnas were better but not by much. Then again different hand sizing leads to different grip suitability for different folks. And the smaller the grip frame the more sensitive to grip design the revolver becomes.

Pistol Pete 10
04-12-2021, 02:04 PM
I have Hogue boot grips on one of my 642s, You could probably just practice drawing it and get used to it.

RevolverRob
04-12-2021, 02:32 PM
You forgot Bill Jordan's design, which both fills in behind the trigger guard to prevent Glock Knuckle and allows you to get your hand nice and high on the back strap. And keeps you from having to use your second knuckle's "power crease" when you have big hands.

Yea, but I don't have gargantuan Jordan-esque hands. So all they do for me is push the gun higher almost like squeezing a bar of soap through my hand. Especially if they're smooth grips.

For me, XL-palms, M-length fingers, smaller revolver stocks are usually better. There is of course a place of vanishing returns as Half Moon noted things like Magnas are the extreme of basically 'no stocks' and produce whole different dynamics. I find open back grips with a decent fill in between trigger guard and grip frame like the VZ Boot or VZ Standard work best for me.

gato naranja
04-12-2021, 02:47 PM
That is 100% a great description. Need a longer rudder!

Gotta add rudder when shooting these rotaries!

358156hp
04-13-2021, 08:27 PM
Pachmayr Compacs have been the best fit for my hands. I still need to find someone to make me a few sets in either wood or something like G10. I'm not a big rubber grip fan.