PDA

View Full Version : Taran Tactical Glock Basepad Color Poll

RJ
04-07-2021, 06:51 PM
Geez, I sound like a teenager: I need some input on what color to pick for a couple Taran Tactical Glock +4/5 basepads for CO for use in a Glock 34 Gen 5. In my defense, I'm part color blind, and I am having a hard time picturing the colors on the web; they kind of appear varying shades to me?

I've eliminated the obvious wrong answers for me; so no purple, no red, no blue. They're fine, just not what I'm looking for.

What's left is Black, Flat Black, Titanium Gray, OD Green and Coyote Bronze.

The black matches the gun but seems shiny in the pictures, maybe too shiny. I like the flat black but I'm struggling with exactly what that is. The Titanium Gray looks ok, and would be lighter in color to pick up on a stage, maybe. Not sure about OD green. And Coyote, I assume is for a .mil gun (which I don't have, obviously.)

Which one should I pick?

Joe in PNG
04-07-2021, 06:57 PM
Is Precious Pink an option?

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Seriously, Flat black would probably be the way to go.

RJ
04-07-2021, 07:06 PM

PS that was Mrs. RJ’s input as well. :)

farscott
04-07-2021, 07:11 PM
I am the worst person to ask about colors as I have no real opinions and have been told that, "All my taste is in my mouth." So I go by function. The extensions are made from hard anodized aluminum. As such, dropping them will scratch the dyed anodized finish. With aluminum, my usual practice is to choose the color closest to raw aluminum so the scratches are less noticeable. From your list that would be "titanium gray".

GJM
04-07-2021, 07:12 PM
It doesn’t really matter what color you pick, because if you shoot matches with them they will get beat to crap and be as much exposed aluminum as the original color. I have flat black and the brown.

GJM
04-07-2021, 07:14 PM

Caballoflaco
04-07-2021, 07:30 PM
You won’t scuff up the anodizing if you use 3m spray adhesive to glue on some protective faux zebra or leopard fur or whatever your favorite animal fur is. Just don’t use a just a printed fabric, it needs to be actual fuzzy fur to provide protection and style.

FNFAN
04-07-2021, 07:37 PM
You won’t scuff up the anodizing if you use 3m spray adhesive to glue on some protective faux zebra or leopard fur or whatever your favorite animal fur is. Just don’t use a just a printed fabric, it needs to be actual fuzzy fur to provide protection and style.

So we could have the pink with "fuzzy fur to provide protection and style." Kind of a landing strip, so to speak.

JCN
04-07-2021, 08:00 PM

Greg
04-07-2021, 08:08 PM
Fabulous Periwinkle or nuthin

CCT125US
04-07-2021, 08:53 PM
I'd go with whatever is easiest to find in the range bag. Or HK red, always choose HK red.

Clusterfrack
04-07-2021, 09:07 PM
Whatever color you like, of Henning (https://benstoegerproshop.com/glock-140mm-9mm-5-basepad-and-spring-for-limited-co-by-henning/) or Springer Precision (https://shop.springerprecision.com/glock-17-34-9mm-140mm-basepad-share/) basepad.

Elwin
04-08-2021, 07:44 AM

(sorry, couldn't resist)

I’ll admit I only opened this thread to like the first comment making this joke. Ok, and to see if it was a poll answer option.

Gio
04-08-2021, 10:14 AM
I've used almost all the major base pad brands for Glocks (Dawson, TTI, Arredondo, Taylor Freelance). The best one by far are the Dawson's. They are the easiest on/off without needing a tool, you can easily remove them without bending or kinking the spring, and there are no small parts to lose (i.e. the little pin on the TTI pads that will eventually work their way out). TTI does have prettier anodizing though.

Guerrero
04-08-2021, 10:17 AM
So we could have the pink with "fuzzy fur to provide protection and style." Kind of a landing strip, so to speak.

Nice.

RJ
04-08-2021, 11:19 AM
Thanks guys, I placed an order this morning. Appreciate the input.

vcdgrips
04-08-2021, 12:56 PM
I would not give the man a dime, even it that meant spending more for comparable quality etc.

As I am otherwise outside of my lane, I would defer to those who have used extended base pads in a meaningful way.

RJ
04-22-2021, 09:15 AM
Thanks guys, I placed an order this morning. Appreciate the input.

Or so I thought.

Good Lord, what a goat rope.

The first order was to Ben Stoeger Pro Shop. Normally these guys are very reliable and stock is shipped fast. Unfortunately, the color I wanted ("Flat Black") turns out to be "not in stock", but this was only after they charged my credit card. Ok, fine, I just had to wait until they refunded my order, which took a few days.

Then, casting around for options, I found another set on eBay. I normally am not thrilled to order using eBay, but it seemed like as a commodity item, this would be ok. So I ordered and waited 5 days for the USPS to deliver them. Turns out that one was "Titanium Gray" and one was "T. Gray".

You'd think maybe that they would be the same color...but nope. Even color blind me could tell they were not the same. Well, that would not do, so back they went to the seller for a refund, causing another delay.

I have a third set en route from Shooters Connection, which is showing arrival tomorrow. In the end, I just figured I'd not worry about color and ordered them in "Black". Not sure which black this is, black, or flat black, but at this point I don't really care. I just want to get set up for CO. If I need another one, hopefully it will be the same black. I've never regretted ordering anything shooting related in black.

Geez. :cool:

Guerrero
04-22-2021, 09:27 AM
RJ I know you're color blind, but, in case you were wondering, you did not end up with the "Precious Pink" ones.

RJ
04-22-2021, 09:38 AM
RJ I know you're color blind, but, in case you were wondering, you did not end up with the "Precious Pink" ones.

Not gonna lie, they'd go well with the slippers I plan to wear at my inaugural CO match. :)

olstyn
04-22-2021, 11:30 AM
I have a third set en route

Not to twist the knife too much, but I only had to place a single order direct with Taylor Freelance to get what I wanted when I ordered 140mm basepads from them. Why support Taran Tactical when other viable options exist *and* it's apparently a pain in the hind quarters to get the stuff you want from Taran?

RJ
04-22-2021, 02:00 PM
Not to twist the knife too much, but I only had to place a single order direct with Taylor Freelance to get what I wanted when I ordered 140mm basepads from them. Why support Taran Tactical when other viable options exist *and* it's apparently a pain in the hind quarters to get the stuff you want from Taran?

Personal preference I guess.

Having had (briefly) the Taran extensions in my hands, I appreciate the toolless assembly possible with the pins. They were pretty easy to get on and off my Glock mags. And if they are hard to find in stock, maybe it means they are pretty popular. I suppose any of them would work, but this design seems to make the most sense to me.

Anyway, that’s what I ordered; aside from letting me have 23 rounds in a mag, I doubt any choice I made would materially affect my stage performance.

olstyn
04-22-2021, 04:12 PM
Having had (briefly) the Taran extensions in my hands, I appreciate the toolless assembly possible with the pins. They were pretty easy to get on and off my Glock mags. And if they are hard to find in stock, maybe it means they are pretty popular. I suppose any of them would work, but this design seems to make the most sense to me.

That's fair. I do have to have a tiny Allen key in my range bag in order to facilitate disassembly/reassembly of my Taylor Freelance ones, so that is a disadvantage. I can understand holding your nose and supporting Mr. Precious if the convenience of that design is important to you.

RJ
04-23-2021, 02:30 PM
So this is where I ended up, a pair of basic black that arrived promptly (2 days from ordering) from Shooters Connection:

I loaded them with 23 rounds each of AE 115; that needed my Maglula on the last two or three but load they did. Insertion and removal is easier (obviously) with the extended basepad. The added weight may help with mag drops as far as overcoming friction I guess, and the basepad is a handy handle for reloads. I just have the two, so I plan to carry one reload and an emergency 17 rounder on a stage. That should give me 23+23+17 rounds for a stage, if I need more than that, I truly suck.

I'm happy with the color. I am kind of a monochrome person anyway, favoring silvers and grays usually. I've never regretted ordering anything in black. My ability to discern shades is not that bad; really, just some deficits in certain wavelengths that are hard to explain.

I do appreciate all the inputs, thanks all.

Back to Dry Practice. :)

JCS
04-28-2021, 11:05 AM
So this is where I ended up, a pair of basic black that arrived promptly (2 days from ordering) from Shooters Connection:

I loaded them with 23 rounds each of AE 115; that needed my Maglula on the last two or three but load they did. Insertion and removal is easier (obviously) with the extended basepad. The added weight may help with mag drops as far as overcoming friction I guess, and the basepad is a handy handle for reloads. I just have the two, so I plan to carry one reload and an emergency 17 rounder on a stage. That should give me 23+23+17 rounds for a stage, if I need more than that, I truly suck.

I'm happy with the color. I am kind of a monochrome person anyway, favoring silvers and grays usually. I've never regretted ordering anything in black. My ability to discern shades is not that bad; really, just some deficits in certain wavelengths that are hard to explain.

I do appreciate all the inputs, thanks all.

Back to Dry Practice. :)

Can you seat the 23 rounds with 1 in the chamber?

RJ
04-28-2021, 01:04 PM

I have not tried that yet.

RJ
06-08-2021, 12:39 PM

Sorry for delay, I only just tried this today. Yes, a 23 mag will seat with one in the chamber.

It was pretty tight tho. I’m thinking it will just be mentally easier for to use 23 + a spare 23 on a stage, and just start with 22+1 after the load and make ready. My first CO match is 6/20.

JCN
06-08-2021, 12:44 PM
Friendly tip:

Don’t have 23 in your reload.

It’s the same as trying to reload 23+1 and you’ll have to jam in the reload much harder.

Seat 22 or less in your reload (you’ll generally only need 20 or less for a CO reload).

That gives enough spring compliance in the magazine for easier seating.

RJ
06-08-2021, 12:51 PM
Friendly tip:

It’s the same as trying to reload 23+1 and you’ll have to jam in the reload much harder.

Seat 22 or less in your reload (you’ll generally only need 20 or less for a CO reload).

*slaps forehead*

JCN
06-08-2021, 12:56 PM
*slaps forehead*

Oh I’ve done it and failed. :D

I’ve done it on a stage start and failed too. :D

So now I start 22+1 unless I really need all the extra rounds, but then I slam that effer in and check the chamber before starting.

I usually load 20 in a reload most of the time.

cheby
06-08-2021, 11:53 PM
Whatever color you like, of Henning (https://benstoegerproshop.com/glock-140mm-9mm-5-basepad-and-spring-for-limited-co-by-henning/) or Springer Precision (https://shop.springerprecision.com/glock-17-34-9mm-140mm-basepad-share/) basepad.

I have used all three extensively and I would strongly disagree with this statement.

1. Springer - As much as I like everything else they do, their basepads are no go because of the small screw used to secure the basepads. It is a royal pain in the rear to remove the basebads to clean the mags. You need a special tool to do that and it is very easy to strip them and/or lose them.

2. With Hennings you lose 1 rds and get only 22ds in the mags vs 23 with TTI.

3. TTI is the way to go. You get +6rd and you do not need any tool to remove it.

RJ
06-09-2021, 03:53 AM
I've used almost all the major base pad brands for Glocks (Dawson, TTI, Arredondo, Taylor Freelance). The best one by far are the Dawson's. They are the easiest on/off without needing a tool, you can easily remove them without bending or kinking the spring, and there are no small parts to lose (i.e. the little pin on the TTI pads that will eventually work their way out). TTI does have prettier anodizing though.

Thanks for the input. I’ll get one of those to try out alongside the TTI ones.

Bucky
06-09-2021, 04:46 AM
I know it’s too late, but I’ll add this anyway...

When I bought base pads for my S2, I got 5 different colors. That way if one fails, I can identify it instantly. Currently they all work, but “blue“ doesn’t lock the slide back. Haven’t figured out why yet, but at least I know not to start with that one or even use it as a first reload.

JCS
06-09-2021, 10:09 AM
Friendly tip:

That was kinda why I mentioned. Idk about the Glock but on the sig loading a 23 on the fly is tough. I did add a grams spring kit so now I feel comfortable with 23+1 because it gives extra cushion.

Also just food for thought but the latest gear survey TTI was pretty unanimous the most popular pick. 72550

GJM
06-09-2021, 10:29 AM
I have a bunch of Taran 140mm Glock extensions, and they are very reliable but I only get 22 until the springs get worn enough I want to replace them.

RJ
06-19-2021, 01:11 PM

Yet to make it to a match because:reasons, but I’ve noticed the little pins on the TTI basepads seem to be working their way out in static live fire at the square range. No bueno. Argh.

I ordered a Dawson to try out:

https://benstoegerproshop.com/dawson-precision-glock-standard-small-frame-tool-less-hicap-extended-base-pad/

Thanks again for the suggestion.

olstyn
06-19-2021, 02:17 PM
I’ve done it on a stage start and failed too. :D

^
This. A little over a week ago I was shooting a stage with an unloaded start and I tried to start with 22 in the mag (Walther mags are a tight fit with 22, so I should have been starting with 21). I slammed it into the gun (not hard enough), and as I was moving my hand up to rack the slide, I felt the gun go light and saw my full mag headed toward the ground and had to go for another one from my belt - probably cost me around 2 seconds between realizing the problem and rectifying it. Won't be making that mistake again...

JCN
06-19-2021, 04:15 PM
Yet to make it to a match because:reasons, but I’ve noticed the little pins on the TTI basepads seem to be working their way out in static live fire at the square range. No bueno. Argh.

https://benstoegerproshop.com/dawson-precision-glock-standard-small-frame-tool-less-hicap-extended-base-pad/

Tighten the Allen key on the basepad.
My pins stay put.

RJ
06-20-2021, 06:23 PM
Tighten the Allen key on the basepad.
My pins stay put.

Thanks.

Had to wait till today to take a look at these. I went a full half turn fairly easily on both; not sure why they were loose. I mean, I did not loc tite anything just snugged them down with a teeny hex until I felt they were secure. Should be good; headed to the square range tomorrow to shake them out.

RJ
06-24-2021, 03:00 PM

So this arrived...I like it. Appreciate the suggestion by Gio. The Dawson pad is two pieces, literally, just the basepad and slider section. Install is easy, I filed the rear of the follower as suggested and was able to get 23 in (ok, barely, the Uplula helped a lot).

I think of the two types I have now, I prefer the Dawsons; no pins to walk out, and simple design. I like the color of the silver, of course, which may be the real reason. :)

Gio
06-24-2021, 03:38 PM
Thanks.

Had to wait till today to take a look at these. I went a full half turn fairly easily on both; not sure why they were loose. I mean, I did not loc tite anything just snugged them down with a teeny hex until I felt they were secure. Should be good; headed to the square range tomorrow to shake them out.

Interesting! I either completely missed those set screws or it's a new design feature they didn't have when I tried them out 7 or so years ago. Thanks for the update!

JCN
06-24-2021, 06:33 PM
Interesting! I either completely missed those set screws or it's a new design feature they didn't have when I tried them out 7 or so years ago. Thanks for the update!

With a little tweaking you can get the tension and friction set so you can push the pin by hand but they don’t walk by themselves. I keep the appropriate size hex stuck to my range cart with a magnet just in case.

RJ
11-09-2021, 10:32 AM
I just wanted to post back with an update/PSA.

So I have refactored my Dry Practicing lately, with the arrival of the Steve Anderson books I ordered late September. I am doing about 30-45 minutes a day. I have a primary reload pouch with the TTI magazine.

What I noticed this morning was that the little pin on the TTI mag extention had worked it's way down, heading towards the point at which it allows the basepad to slip off. What I found was that the brass insert I have (Glockstore Thugplug) on the grip of my G34 actually comes into contact with the pin. It's ever so slight in slow time, but there are a lot of press/reload/press drills in Steve's Drills, so I've been reloading like crazy. An energetic reload is going to smack that pin, every time.

I ended up dremeling a slight clearance cut in the brass of the insert, to allow some clearance for the pin, and retorqued the screw head.

I think at this point I vastly prefer the Dawson basepad extention, which have a sliding/locking feature that doesn't rely on one of these little pins in the basepad, like the TTI.

BWT
11-09-2021, 11:56 AM
I just wanted to post back with an update/PSA.

So I have refactored my Dry Practicing lately, with the arrival of the Steve Anderson books I ordered late September. I am doing about 30-45 minutes a day. I have a primary reload pouch with the TTI magazine.

What I noticed this morning was that the little pin on the TTI mag extention had worked it's way down, heading towards the point at which it allows the basepad to slip off. What I found was that the brass insert I have (Glockstore Thugplug) on the grip of my G34 actually comes into contact with the pin. It's ever so slight in slow time, but there are a lot of press/reload/press drills in Steve's Drills, so I've been reloading like crazy. An energetic reload is going to smack that pin, every time.

I ended up dremeling a slight clearance cut in the brass of the insert, to allow some clearance for the pin, and retorqued the screw head.

I think at this point I vastly prefer the Dawson basepad extention, which have a sliding/locking feature that doesn't rely on one of these little pins in the basepad, like the TTI.

Thanks for the update - I need a third baseplate and I had recently purchased two TTI’s.

DpdG
11-13-2021, 08:55 AM
Anyone know where to find the Dawson’s? It looks like they’re out of stock and/or discontinued everywhere I look. Barring that, TTI the best fall back?

It’s a tough pill to swallow that the host mag is $25, the 24rd OEM mags are $30 (not CO legal), but the extensions (admittedly nicer aluminum) are $40-50.