PDA

View Full Version : Wow, this looks like fun... PPC at the LGS

dogcaller
04-05-2021, 11:09 PM
I ran across this today. The lockup is *tight,* and the DA is sweet and light. Sales guy said I may need to use Federal primers only, or change the mainspring. Anyone know anything about Day Arms Corporation? Does the price seem reasonable? I don't need it, but it sure seems like a fun range toy69840--challenging my inner John Pride.

OlongJohnson
04-05-2021, 11:28 PM
You might look up DB's Shooting Adventures on the book of feces. He's our unofficial revolver historian, but is currently not participating here.

Whirlwind06
04-06-2021, 05:42 AM
If it's the same Day Arms of San Antonio Texas, it's probably a pretty good revolver and a decent price IMO.
Bob Day was an armorer for the Air Force. He was best known for 1911 Bullseye guns and had a 1911 22LR conversion kit. He died in a plane crash a number of years ago.

I see the kits on Gunbroker and eBay once in a while.

https://www.1911forum.com/threads/mr-bob-day.1009712/

https://www.1911forum.com/threads/gunsmith-bob-day-anyone-know-his-work.79041/

https://www.pistolsmith.com/threads/what-do-you-know-about-bob-day.7343/

jh9
04-06-2021, 05:54 AM
I doubt there's much "may" to the Federal primers requirement.

If I wanted a .38 wadcutter machine, $600 seems ballpark-ish.

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search%2Fcompleted?Keywords=PPC+revolver&Timeframe=1&Sort=1&PageSize=48

If you log in there's some completed auctions. One Bill Davis gun went for over $2k but that looks like a bidding war between two very determined people. Another Bill Davis Python went for $1300 which probably reduced its value because Pythons are stupid money. Another (maker unlisted) S&W went for $650. The others were in the same sub $1k band and went unsold. In general the trend skews more toward $600 rather than $2000 unless you have a unicorn. I listed a Frank Glenn piece I had a year or two ago on gunbroker with no reserve and ad space on the front page. It ultimately went for about half of what I had in it, which was about what was expected.

The secondary market for these things is pretty small. Assuming no mechanical issues you could probably get your $600 back, but it may take awhile to do it.

Lex Luthier
04-06-2021, 08:46 AM

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search%2Fcompleted?Keywords=PPC+revolver&Timeframe=1&Sort=1&PageSize=48

If you log in there's some completed auctions. One Bill Davis gun went for over $2k but that looks like a bidding war between two very determined people. Another Bill Davis Python went for $1300 which probably reduced its value because Pythons are stupid money. Another (maker unlisted) S&W went for $650. The others were in the same sub $1k band and went unsold. In general the trend skews more toward $600 rather than $2000 unless you have a unicorn. I listed a Frank Glenn piece I had a year or two ago on gunbroker with no reserve and ad space on the front page. It ultimately went for about half of what I had in it, which was about what was expected.

The secondary market for these things is pretty small. Assuming no mechanical issues you could probably get your $600 back, but it may take awhile to do it.

As an unimportant aside, I think I may know that particular Python. It looks *very close* to one owned by a recently deceased family friend in that geographic area. If it's the one I think it is, the buyer got a laser.
It does surprise me that PPC revolvers trend so low in sales $.
They are usually babied by the owners, and the Davis and Ciamillo shops (for example) did very good action tuning.

Duelist
04-06-2021, 11:00 AM
That looks like a gun I’d buy, at a price I’d be happy to pay.

Jim Watson
04-06-2021, 11:20 AM
I think the reason it is priced so low is that it is a very specialized instrument, smooth and accurate but very heavy and lightly sprung demanding Federal primers. You aren't going to tuck this one into your AIWB. And PPC is on the decline. It is a precision game, difficult to shoot well but "gonna get you killed on the street."

dogcaller
04-06-2021, 09:24 PM
Many thanks to all for the info. I'm thinking about it. In normal times it would be a bit more tempting b/c I could just buy Federal primers. I was lucky enough to buy ~8k primers a year or so ago, and I even loaded up 1k .38 DEWCs, but all of my primers are CCI...

Sure would love to be able to keep that sweet trigger (and detonate primers reliably). I've never fired a PPC gun but it sure seems like a gun that could help you shoot better than you actually can!

Lex Luthier
04-06-2021, 09:43 PM
Many thanks to all for the info. I'm thinking about it. In normal times it would be a bit more tempting b/c I could just buy Federal primers. I was lucky enough to buy ~8k primers a year or so ago, and I even loaded up 1k .38 DEWCs, but all of my primers are CCI...

Sure would love to be able to keep that sweet trigger (and detonate primers reliably). I've never fired a PPC gun but it sure seems like a gun that could help you shoot better than you actually can!

Oh, a good PPC gun *is* all that and a bag of chips.

HCM
04-06-2021, 09:46 PM
If it's the same Day Arms of San Antonio Texas, it's probably a pretty good revolver and a decent price IMO.
Bob Day was an armorer for the Air Force. He was best known for 1911 Bullseye guns and had a 1911 22LR conversion kit. He died in a plane crash a number of years ago.

I see the kits on Gunbroker and eBay once in a while.

https://www.1911forum.com/threads/mr-bob-day.1009712/

https://www.1911forum.com/threads/gunsmith-bob-day-anyone-know-his-work.79041/

https://www.pistolsmith.com/threads/what-do-you-know-about-bob-day.7343/

Bob Day and Alex Hamilton of Ten Ring Precision (the former pistolsmithing editor for American Handgunner) were both civilian armorers for the USAF at Lackland AFB who built competition pistols for the USAF team back in the day.

Jim Watson
04-07-2021, 08:11 AM
all of my primers are CCI...

Well, you can cinch down the strain screw if backed out, replace it if shortened, replace a limber mainspring with standard, whatever it takes to pop them. The action will still be smooth, which the experts tell us is all that is required.

Yup, none of that Indian and arrow stuff, the Governor's 20 and President's 100 shooters want every edge they can get.

Lex Luthier
04-07-2021, 08:50 AM
Well, you can cinch down the strain screw if backed out, replace it if shortened, replace a limber mainspring with standard, whatever it takes to pop them. The action will still be smooth, which the experts tell us is all that is required.

Yup, none of that Indian and arrow stuff, the Governor's 20 and President's 100 shooters want every edge they can get.

I sound nothing like Morgan Freeman, but here goes:

"He's right, you know."

;)

dogcaller
04-07-2021, 06:17 PM
You’ve convinced me. Im’a go buy that piece after work on Friday...

RevolverRob
04-07-2021, 07:19 PM
If you hate it let me know. I've wanted a Bob Day piece for years.

dogcaller
04-07-2021, 07:45 PM

You'll be first to know!

SW CQB 45
04-17-2021, 02:11 PM
I will throw in my two cents.

make sure trigger press is consistent on all 6 holes.

with cylinder lock before hammer fall.

Inspect center pin hole for egg shaping. Blue steel should be ok but stainless gun wear much faster.

good luck

Inspector71
04-17-2021, 02:43 PM
As a handgun sport, PPC probably hit its peak in the mid 80’s, and has been declining ever since (though in some regions of the country still holding on). Hard to believe, but at one time quite a few big city police departments and three letter federal agencies actually sponsored (funded) PPC teams. To the best of my limited knowledge, only the Border Patrol still does. Once upon a time FLETC had its own team, but that was decades ago now.

dogcaller
04-17-2021, 03:01 PM
Well, I purchased it last week and picked it up yesterday. Had a 4-day wait on the background check because the system is overloaded. No wonder there's no ammo--lots of people buying guns.

I like it, so far. I've got ~1500 rounds of DEWC loaded so I'll take it up to the range and give it a go, soon. Those wounds were loaded for practice with my J-frame, and they have mixed primers, so we'll see if I need to have the (main?)spring replaced. I'll let you know how it goes!

dogcaller
11-26-2022, 10:33 PM

Hey RevolverRob! I do like this piece and it shoots well, but my interest has waned and I’m looking to move this to finance my next purchase. I promised you first dibs, so just let me know if you are/n’t interested. Will be happy to send more pics to you or anyone else interested.

jtcarm
11-27-2022, 10:32 AM

A case of Federal primers will set you back $600.