PDA

View Full Version : 125gr vs 140gr XTPs

03RN
04-04-2021, 04:46 PM
I figured Ill post this in the revolver forum since these bullets are kinda revolver centric but if mods want to move it I understand.

After loading up a bunch of 125gr XTPs I recently found in stock I noticed how similarly they are to my 140gr bullets. I weighed a loaded comp 2 of each and they weighed the same...

Hmmm.... Powder is 9gr unique vs 9.1gr be-86.

Im going to take some apart tomorrow.

It should be pretty easy to tell by the length under the crimp... Hopefully

OlongJohnson
04-04-2021, 05:34 PM
Yeah, there's about 15 grains to a gram (off the top of my head), so the 140s should have weighed ~6 grams less.

entropy
04-05-2021, 09:31 AM
A few years back, I cracked open a box of 208gr AMAXs I had sitting on the shelf. This was one of 4 sealed boxes. As I began loading, something struck me as wrong. I put one on a scale...178gr. I took several more out of the same box...178gr. I checked the other sealed boxes and they had the same lot # on them. Cracked open another. Those were 178s too. I called Hornady. They were polite but skeptical. Asked if I had additional sealed boxes. I said yes. They asked me to box them up and send them in. I still didn’t think they believed me. 4 boxes of 208gr AMAXs weren’t cheap to ship, and I was honestly a bit peeved. About 3 days later I get a call. “Ummm...we’re really sorry. How many boxes of the new 208gr ELDMs would you like?” Not being an ass, I requested 4. They sent me 5 and refunded my original shipping as well.

Stuff happens.

03RN
04-05-2021, 12:18 PM
A few years back, I cracked open a box of 208gr AMAXs I had sitting on the shelf. This was one of 4 sealed boxes. As I began loading, something struck me as wrong. I put one on a scale...178gr. I took several more out of the same box...178gr. I checked the other sealed boxes and they had the same lot # on them. Cracked open another. Those were 178s too. I called Hornady. They were polite but skeptical. Asked if I had additional sealed boxes. I said yes. They asked me to box them up and send them in. I still didn’t think they believed me. 4 boxes of 208gr AMAXs weren’t cheap to ship, and I was honestly a bit peeved. About 3 days later I get a call. “Ummm...we’re really sorry. How many boxes of the new 208gr ELDMs would you like?” Not being an ass, I requested 4. They sent me 5 and refunded my original shipping as well.

Stuff happens.

I would be pretty excited if they were 140s. :cool:

vcdgrips
04-05-2021, 12:44 PM
Good story re Hornady. Anybody in the sales/service can make a mistake. It is how they make it right that really matters.

03RN
04-05-2021, 02:35 PM
I would be pretty excited if they were 140s. :cool:

I didnt take any apart but after comparing the brass the ridge at the bottom of the bullets is different