PDA

View Full Version : M&P 9mm laser

jfinlayiv
04-02-2021, 10:09 AM
I have a Smith and Wesson M&P Ported 9mm and want to add a laser to it. I am looking for recommendations/advice. I see that the Crimson Trace LG-489 Laserguard is compatible. Would you recommend this one or another? Also the Red or Green laser and why? Thanks.

Tyrok
04-13-2021, 10:18 AM
Green laser is the way to go, it’s visibility is much greater in all conditions.

Laser guard Pros:
-activation should work for basically any hand size (not always the case with rear mounted laser devices)
-in line with the gun’s bore vertically so offset is simple (splitting hairs here but still)
-keeping your finger off the trigger won’t obstruct the laser

Laser guard cons:
-not able to mount flashlight on dust cover
-Holster options are limited (any good holster maker could do something custom though)
-on the M&P specifically battery changes with the rear mounted laser are easier than on the trigger

I’m sure others will chime in with more pros and cons. For me I greatly prefer having a weapon light attached, so the rear mounted grip laser is what I did with my Glock. Green Laser on the back, weapon light on the front, red dot on top.

As a side note (I figured you might want this info) Crimson Trace estimates that their green laser will run for 2 hours. I was able to get 4 months of use out of mine before I needed to change batteries. This was with a heavy dry fire schedule. Really impressed me with how long the batteries lasted and was relieved because it fits really tight on the Glock and is a pain to take on and off.

Hope this was helpful, let me know if you have any follow up questions!

rca90gsx
04-13-2021, 11:30 AM
If you want flashlight capabilities as well, look at the streamlight TLR-8 with laser built in. Or one of the TLR-2 if you don't mind a bigger light.