PDA

View Full Version : Scales for the GP100

jtcarm
03-30-2021, 12:38 PM
The original scales on my GP100 split.

I made my own pair out of mesquite, but didn’t realize how thin they had to be. Mesquite being hard but brittle, didn’t work out too well.

I had enough DIY so just want to buy a set, something more durable than wood, like micarta.

Suggestions?

Lester Polfus
03-30-2021, 01:55 PM
From Sack Peterson (https://www.sackpeterson.com/models/GP100.html)

jtcarm
03-30-2021, 02:50 PM

Very nice, but I’m sure more than I care to spend.

Besides, stag doesn’t feel right with a red-dotted gun.

Crazy Dane
03-30-2021, 08:07 PM

Will you quit posting this, I am out of disposable income and on the verge of doing something rash. :p

I made my own pair out of mesquite, but didn’t realize how thin they had to be. Mesquite being hard but brittle, didn’t work out too well.

I had enough DIY so just want to buy a set, something more durable than wood, like micarta.

Suggestions?

Ruger | Altamont Company (https://www.altamontco.com/pistol-grips/ruger/gp100/)

You can find affordable replacements here^

gato naranja
03-30-2021, 09:54 PM

Suggestions?

(James Earl Jones voice) "I find the lack of Micarta and G10 grip inserts for the GP100 disturbing."

If you want a synthetic, the Altamont bonded ivory or pearl inserts are not too expensive.

I had a pair of Chig's Grips inserts in stabilized box elder burl which were oddly pretty and did not cost a fortune, should you decide a stabilized wood might be acceptable.

Lester Polfus
03-30-2021, 10:43 PM
Will you quit posting this, I am out of disposable income and on the verge of doing something rash. :p

Come on in. The water's fine. We have cookies.

dogcaller
03-30-2021, 11:31 PM

This is the only time I wish my GP was blued. That is just so right!

jtcarm
04-01-2021, 09:35 PM
Well I poked around and couldn’t see anything that impressed me, so I whipped up another set from some white oak I had laying around.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210402/761d35c8ec7073ec6b6c925e44941ca6.jpg

They’re not nearly as pretty as the mesquite, but a whole lot tougher.

Lester Polfus
04-01-2021, 10:11 PM
Well I poked around and couldn’t see anything that impressed me, so I whipped up another set from some white oak I had laying around.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210402/761d35c8ec7073ec6b6c925e44941ca6.jpg

They’re not nearly as pretty as the mesquite, but a whole lot tougher.

Nice grips. Which sight and mount?

jtcarm
04-02-2021, 08:12 AM
Nice grips. Which sight and mount?

EGW/Swamp Fox Justice.

Are those oversized grips on your GP100? They look bigger.

Lester Polfus
04-02-2021, 10:09 AM
EGW/Swamp Fox Justice.

Are those oversized grips on your GP100? They look bigger.

I have the standard size Letts style grips on mine. I think yours may be compacts?

jtcarm
04-02-2021, 01:20 PM
Yeah I looked it up on Ruger’s site. Those are 1/4” longer than mine.

I ordered the rubber off of Amazon. My support-hand pinky needs a place to rest.

Lester Polfus
04-02-2021, 07:50 PM
Yeah I looked it up on Ruger’s site. Those are 1/4” longer than mine.

I ordered the rubber off of Amazon. My support-hand pinky needs a place to rest.

If I remember correctly, the scales you just made aren't going to fit those new grips. The GP100 compact grips use the same size scales as the SP101, but the full size grips are use different, bigger scales.

jtcarm
04-02-2021, 09:08 PM
If I remember correctly, the scales you just made aren't going to fit those new grips. The GP100 compact grips use the same size scales as the SP101, but the full size grips are use different, bigger scales.

Yeah I’ll make a new set when it gets here.

Lester Polfus
04-02-2021, 10:48 PM
Yeah I’ll make a new set when it gets here.

Roge-o dude. Looking forward to some pictures.

LittleLebowski
04-02-2021, 11:14 PM

I hate you.

awp_101
04-02-2021, 11:19 PM

Suggestions?
Walrus ivory (tusk?) is nice...;)

LittleLebowski
04-02-2021, 11:22 PM
Walrus ivory (tusk?) is nice...;)

Definitely hate you too.

Lester Polfus
04-02-2021, 11:41 PM
I hate you.

Definitely hate you too.

One of the nice things about GP100s is that nice scales from Sack, Chigs, or wherever those awesome walrus grips came from, are much cheaper than full grips. I think my Sack Peterson's stag scales were about $80, whereas a set of full blown stag grips for the Single-Six I don't own (yet) are going to run me over $200.

So really, you are Saving Money™.

awp_101
04-03-2021, 08:29 AM
(James Earl Jones voice) "I find the lack of Micarta and G10 grip inserts for the GP100 disturbing.”
VZ makes a couple of styles of full replacement stocks but no inserts. If anyone has an inside line at VZ, that’s a bug worth putting in their ear IMO.

Definitely hate you too.
That line is long, distinguished and forms to the left.:D

One of the nice things about GP100s is that nice scales from Sack, Chigs, or wherever those awesome walrus grips came from, are much cheaper than full grips. I think my Sack Peterson's stag scales were about $80, whereas a set of full blown stag grips for the Single-Six I don't own (yet) are going to run me over $200.

So really, you are Saving Money™.
When I get back into a wood working phase, I have delusions of doing GP and SP inserts. I need to see if G10 can be turned like resin. If so it might be worth picking some up slabs to cut into blanks for pen turning and GP/SP insert making. I just need this raging case of gunfluenza to abate for a bit.

Dammit, now I’m wanting another GP or SP on general principle...

jtcarm
04-03-2021, 10:36 AM
Roge-o dude. Looking forward to some pictures.

I’ll probably go with hickory. Pretty plain but wicked tough. Highly figured woods just don’t do well when cut that thin and I’m not interested in buying the equipment to stabilize.

VZ makes a couple of styles of full replacement stocks but no inserts. If anyone has an inside line at VZ, that’s a bug worth putting in their ear IMO.

That line is long, distinguished and forms to the left.:D

When I get back into a wood working phase, I have delusions of doing GP and SP inserts. I need to see if G10 can be turned like resin. If so it might be worth picking some up slabs to cut into blanks for pen turning and GP/SP insert making. I just need this raging case of gunfluenza to abate for a bit.

Dammit, now I’m wanting another GP or SP on general principle...

I have some 3/8 and 1/4” thick phenolic plates. Very similar material to Micarta. I
might give it a try, though it stinks like the devil when cutting. I imagine it’s very hard in blades & cutters as well.

I used to turn pens but found it tedious. Plus I got tired of wooodworking in the cramped confines of the garage and sold off all my stationary tools except the bandsaw.

I enjoy spindle turning, just not pens.

awp_101
04-03-2021, 02:10 PM
I have some 3/8 and 1/4” thick phenolic plates. Very similar material to Micarta. I
might give it a try, though it stinks like the devil when cutting.
Worse than antler? That stunk way worse than I expected even after being warned it was unpleasant.

I used to turn pens but found it tedious. Plus I got tired of wooodworking in the cramped confines of the garage and sold off all my stationary tools except the bandsaw.

I enjoy spindle turning, just not pens.
I get it. Between Texas summers, lack of time and lack of space, I haven’t turned anything in over a year. I like pens because they’re useful in daily life but when turning makes it’s way back into the hobby rotation, spindles and bottle stoppers will probably be the majority of what I turn.

jtcarm
04-03-2021, 02:17 PM
Worse than antler? That stunk way worse than I expected even after being warned it was unpleasant.

I get it. Between Texas summers, lack of time and lack of space, I haven’t turned anything in over a year. I like pens because they’re useful in daily life but when turning makes it’s way back into the hobby rotation, spindles and bottle stoppers will probably be the majority of what I turn.

Can’t say, I never cut antler, but I am familiar with burnt bone.

I cut up a phenolic router table insert once to build some jigs and it smelled pretty bad. Micarta is close to the same thing.

OlongJohnson
04-03-2021, 08:30 PM
The smell from phenolic is formaldehyde. Make sure you do that with really good ventilation.