PDA

View Full Version : Obama's home town being destroyed by gang violence; anyone on the scene?

BaiHu
07-12-2012, 08:28 AM
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-57470618/chicago-police-sergeant-tribal-warfare-on-the-streets

I've been following this over the last few weeks as the murder rate skyrockets and the bullets get less accurate. Anyone near Chicago willing to give any insights?

Tamara
07-12-2012, 08:45 AM
It's That 70's Show (http://chicagocrimescenes.blogspot.com/2009/07/138-years-of-murder-in-chicago.html)...

It'd be interesting to find long, hot summers that coincide with crappy economies on that graph. Also if it was a murder rate graph rather than just a body count. 100 dead bodies could go unnoticed in Chicago today, but in 1835, it would have wiped out half the town.

Also, I wonder exactly what year the Windy City effectively banned handgun ownership?

Kyle Reese
07-12-2012, 10:31 AM
Obviously the fault of Republicans, gun owners and Bush.

BaiHu
07-12-2012, 10:41 AM
Obviously the fault of Republicans, gun owners and Bush.

You totally forgot the NRA, duh :p

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

SecondsCount
07-12-2012, 10:55 AM
I bailed on Chicagoland in 2000 and don't miss it.

Chicago receives millions of federal dollars for law enforcement. If the crime went away, the dollars would also. When the temps go up, the delicate balance gets upset.

The welfare system is failing on all levels except that it helps keep the perpetual crime loop going. Young boys who are raised by street thugs rather than parents have very little respect for life.

RoyGBiv
07-12-2012, 04:27 PM
I wonder exactly what year the Windy City effectively banned handgun ownership?
Chi-Town started down the slippery slope in 19 and 67 with the FOIC law... The "Ban" was passed in March of 82, in the aftermath of the attempted assassination of Pope JP-II (in Rome... <eyeroll> )

http://www.wbez.org/episode-segments/2011-06-27/evolution-chicagos-handgun-ban-88376
In 1967, Daley pushed for a state law requiring the registration of all guns. His bill was defeated. The Illinois General Assembly approved a Republican compromise. It was supported by the National Rifle Association and Illinois State Rifle Association. Instead of registering every gun, the state registered gun owners. It was the Firearm Owners Identification Card.

Amid the growing concern, the suburb of Morton Grove outlawed handguns. In early 1982, Mayor Byrne urged the Chicago City Council to prohibit all new handguns.

The City Council debated the ordinance on March 19, 1982. Aldermen Richard Mell and Marian Humes spoke out against it.

The City Council approved the ordinance by a vote of thirty to eleven. And what‘s been the result?
NRA Lawyer Stephen Halbrook says it hasn’t had any effect on crime.

Carraway
07-12-2012, 11:21 PM
Sad. I lived there for a short time a couple of decades ago and have mixed feelings about it. It's also the only place where I've been on the wrong side of a gun.

SeriousStudent
07-13-2012, 12:35 AM
I never realized the crime was that bad in Mombasa.......

Fly320s
07-13-2012, 07:47 AM
I never realized the crime was that bad in Mombasa.......

Don't you mean Honolulu? ;)

Mjolnir
07-14-2012, 07:21 PM
Things are progressing as planned: Total Chaos PRIOR TO the Global Collapse.

Watch...

tremiles
07-15-2012, 07:50 AM
Chicago is a beautiful city plagued by political corruption and gang violence long before anyone had heard of Barack Obama, POTUS, Senator, community organizer/activist or whatever he did prior.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

BaiHu
07-15-2012, 08:14 AM
Chicago is a beautiful city plagued by political corruption and gang violence long before anyone had heard of Barack Obama, POTUS, Senator, community organizer/activist or whatever he did prior.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

Totally agree, the Obama adjective was more of a dig that the dems have been in control of Chicago forever; gathering votes on the premise that they would save the lower class, get guns off the street, get drugs off the street and instead, all they've done is lament that they need more money as the downward spiral quickens for those in need of change the most.

BWT
07-15-2012, 11:43 AM
Totally agree, the Obama adjective was more of a dig that the dems have been in control of Chicago forever; gathering votes on the premise that they would save the lower class, get guns off the street, get drugs off the street and instead, all they've done is lament that they need more money as the downward spiral quickens for those in need of change the most.

You can get a lot of votes when you just do everything you can to give people what they say they need.

People pleasing as a platform is typically, very popular.

Mark Housel
07-15-2012, 02:26 PM
Ya know, I had my browser window a bit narrow and saw this thread title...

Obama's home town being destroyed by gang violence; anyone

and without looking I would have bet money the end was "give a rat's A$$?" :p

Sal Picante
07-17-2012, 06:23 PM
*Most* of the bad parts are places people don't go unless they're looking for trouble - you could visit ChiTown, see all the good parts, and never see/be exposed to all of this crap.

I don't disagree that the welfare state has really worked to ruin huge parts of the city, but abandoning ship isn't necessarily an option for a lot of folks.

pdb
07-17-2012, 08:41 PM
FWIW, my favorite blog on the scene is this guy: http://secondcitycop.blogspot.com/

A lot of inside baseball stuff, and you really have to troll through the comments for juicy tidbits, but it's a fascinating look at the inside of the PD of a failed metropolis.