PDA

View Full Version : S&W Model 10-7...

tango-papa
03-24-2021, 10:39 AM
Last night, for no particular reason, I was perusing the Collector's Firearms "New Arrivals" selections...

One of the new listings posted sometime yesterday was a mint S&W Model 10-7/4" listed at $599.99.

That seemed a reasonable price, especially given what's been going on for the past year or so.
And with Sleepy-Joe's announcement yesterday, the market's likely about to get even more wonky.
Decided to sleep on it and if it was still available this morning, would go ahead and get it.

Much to my surprise, it was still available this morning.

I forgot Collector's removes the listing once sold and did not save the excellent high-res photos.

*added the photo from the order page on Collector's websight.

mtnbkr
03-24-2021, 10:55 AM
Last night, for no particular reason, I was perusing the Collector's Firearms "New Arrivals" selections...

One of the new listings posted sometime yesterday was a mint S&W Model 10-7/4" listed at $599.99.

That seemed a reasonable price, especially given what's been going on for the past year or so.
And with Sleepy-Joe's announcement yesterday, the market's likely about to get even more wonky.
Decided to sleep on it and if it was still available this morning, would go ahead and get it.

Much to my surprise, it was still available this morning.

I forgot Collector's removes the listing once sold and did not save the excellent high-res photos.

*added the photo from the order page on Collector's websight.

Nice. I've had one of those in similar condition, sans original grips, for about 16 years now. I seldom shoot it, mainly because I have plenty others to shoot, but it's too much of a classic to sell or trade.

I paid $200 for mine (this back when model 10s routinely went for $150-$250). :cool:

Chris

tango-papa
03-24-2021, 10:59 AM
Nice. I've had one of those in similar condition, sans original grips, for about 16 years now. I seldom shoot it, mainly because I have plenty others to shoot, but it's too much of a classic to sell or trade.

I paid $200 for mine (this back when model 10s routinely went for $150-$250). :cool:

Chris

Thanks, looking forward to getting it in hand.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda bought a dozen back in the day at those prices, eh?

mtnbkr
03-24-2021, 11:08 AM
Thanks, looking forward to getting it in hand.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda bought a dozen back in the day at those prices, eh?

You'll like it. It's a fine example of the classic revolver. They're sweet shooters with 147gr wadcutters and 158gr SWCs.

And yes, I wish I bought a basket of these back in the day.

Chris

tango-papa
03-24-2021, 03:37 PM
Emailed Collectors about the possibility of getting the listing photos of the 10-7.

They now have an "Archives" option you can search/access if you have the item number.

High-res photos.

rd62
03-24-2021, 07:19 PM
Wow! That really is in nice condition! Looks like you got a nice piece for the money.

revchuck38
03-24-2021, 09:49 PM
Beautiful! Now you get to add the holster wear and turn ring. :)

entropy
03-24-2021, 09:57 PM
Nice score!

I’ve done a bit of business with them. Not a lot. They do seem like good people tho.

tango-papa
03-24-2021, 11:09 PM
Wow! That really is in nice condition! Looks like you got a nice piece for the money.

Thanks and agreed ref. the condition.
After looking closely at the high-res. photos last night and then deciding to let it sit until morning, I was quite surprised it was still available.
I'm not really up to speed on Model 10 pricing, but know enough about pre-1982 S&W's that I needed to go ahead and buy it.

Beautiful! Now you get to add the holster wear and turn ring. :)

And I fully intend to do just that - started looking at holster options tonight.
Add a grip adapter, speed loaders and a few pouches and I'll be in business.

Nice score!

I’ve done a bit of business with them. Not a lot. They do seem like good people tho.

Thanks - looking forward to having it.
I spent a bit of time and a few dollars at Collectors when I lived in Houston and always enjoyed visiting with the folks at the shop.

03RN
03-25-2021, 07:16 AM
Good looking gun. I love how these handle. I regreat not buying a dozen back when they were $2-300.

What kind of holster are you looking for?

tango-papa
03-25-2021, 10:58 AM
Good looking gun. I love how these handle. I regreat not buying a dozen back when they were $2-300.

What kind of holster are you looking for?

Thanks and agree, if only we knew and had the means way back when.

All my current holsters are kydex for Glock 9mm's and a Wilderness ankle rig for the S&W 640 series.
At one time (circa 1997), I had a nice Kramer horsehide rig with belt, holster and mag pouch for the Glock 26/27. For reasons (dumbassery...) I honestly don't recall, sold the rig.

Anyway, the Model 10, which will eventually be at least two 4 inch Model 10's, will get a leather holster.
Most likely it will actually be two holsters - IWB and OWB.

I'm thinking Milt Sparks, but just started looking and wide open to suggestions.

Your custom Sokol 3" Model 10 project, along with a few others here at p-f, inspired me to make this purchase and set up a dedicated "rig" for same.
Once I get a pair of standard 4 inch M10's good to go, my intent is to get a second pair, preferably with 4 inch heavy barrels (not going to spend the money on factory 3 inch guns).
That second pair will then go to Mr. Sokol for the 3 inch treatment.

03RN
03-25-2021, 01:55 PM
Thanks and agree, if only we knew and had the means way back when.

All my current holsters are kydex for Glock 9mm's and a Wilderness ankle rig for the S&W 640 series.
At one time (circa 1997), I had a nice Kramer horsehide rig with belt, holster and mag pouch for the Glock 26/27. For reasons (dumbassery...) I honestly don't recall, sold the rig.

Anyway, the Model 10, which will eventually be at least two 4 inch Model 10's, will get a leather holster.
Most likely it will actually be two holsters - IWB and OWB.

I'm thinking Milt Sparks, but just started looking and wide open to suggestions.

Your custom Sokol 3" Model 10 project, along with a few others here at p-f, inspired me to make this purchase and set up a dedicated "rig" for same.
Once I get a pair of standard 4 inch M10's good to go, my intent is to get a second pair, preferably with 4 inch heavy barrels (not going to spend the money on factory 3 inch guns).
That second pair will then go to Mr. Sokol for the 3 inch treatment.

I think Milt Sparks or Kramer are safe bets for leather to last as long as the gun. I have both.

Ive been using Ryan Grizzle lately and have been impressed.

He has horsehide available as well

Stephanie B
03-25-2021, 02:09 PM

I think that, at times. But I have a few 4" Model 10s: A 10, a 10-5, a 10-6 and a 10-11. Plus a 1920s M&P. And then I have two 4" 64s, so I think I'm pretty set.

tango-papa
03-25-2021, 02:43 PM
I think Milt Sparks or Kramer are safe bets for leather to last as long as the gun. I have both.

Ive been using Ryan Grizzle lately and have been impressed.

He has horsehide available as well

Yeah, I was thinking after I replied to you - need to look at what Kramer has as well.
I'm familiar with RGrizzle, but had not looked at his stuff in a long time - neat that he's now offering horsehide.

I'm liking the current list of candidates:
Milt Sparks
Kramer
RGrizzle

Thanks.

*nice looking revolver/holster combo.

tango-papa
03-25-2021, 02:50 PM
I think that, at times. But I have a few 4" Model 10s: A 10, a 10-5, a 10-6 and a 10-11. Plus a 1920s M&P. And then I have two 4" 64s, so I think I'm pretty set.

That's a pretty damn nice list.
I hereby submit a motion you post a photo, in this thread, of those M10's.

Also, you're one of the p-f'rs that inspired this Model 10 purchase and what will soon be an expensive endeavor on my part.
Then again, you are the Enabler of Revolvers, so...

Stephanie B
03-25-2021, 02:53 PM
That's a pretty damn nice list.
I hereby submit a motion you post a photo, in this thread, of those M10's.

Also, you're one of the p-f'rs that inspired this Model 10 purchase and what will soon be an expensive endeavor on my part.
Then again, you are the Enabler of Revolvers, so...

I'm due to do the periodic "haul out, fondle and oil" routine, so, stay tuned.

tango-papa
03-27-2021, 02:00 PM
Picked up the Model 10-7 yesterday afternoon.
It's every bit as nice as the photos depicted.
There's just a hint of holster wear on either side of the muzzle and, as the photos depicted, barely a cylinder turn line.
Whatever the history of use, it's obviously minimal and the gun was properly maintained/stored.

Collectors Firearms feedback - specific to their online process:

In my opinion, Collectors Firearms has the on-line process nailed down tight.
The web sight is easy to use, the listing photos are excellent, descriptions are accurate with no fluff, they do not charge a CC fee and the (ground) shipping is/was free with >$100 purchase.
I would/will do business with them again via their online store with zero reservations.

Made the purchase at approx. 1000 hrs, Weds, 03/24/21; receipt with FedEx tracking number provided within minutes of purchase.
FedEx took possession of the package at approx. 1700 hrs, 03/24/21.
Delivered to my receiving dealer at approx. 1400 hrs, 03/26/21.
Obviously, FedEx did their part in the process with what, in my experience, is their usual level of excellent service.

I've done business with Collectors in person a few times several years ago at their original location.
I have it on good authority the new location is quite nice and the "experience" just as good as it's always been.
If you ever have the opportunity to visit the store, in my opinion, it's a definitely recommend/must do in the Houston metro-mess.

tango-papa
06-26-2021, 04:42 PM
Still looking for a second Model 10-7 (+/- on the dash) in the right condition/price as the twin to the one in the OP - because pairs.

However, scored a nice Model 10-8 at auction for below current "market".

Dealer/seller auction photos.

revchuck38
06-26-2021, 04:56 PM
Nice! I have a 10-8 that I picked up about 15 years ago. I sent it to the S&W Performance Center for their Combat Revolver package and it became my primary IDPA and carry revolver. It's an honest <2" @ 25 yards shooter.

entropy
06-26-2021, 05:45 PM
Nice score!

When I recover from the last purchase, a heavy barrel 10 is next on the list.

tango-papa
06-26-2021, 08:41 PM

Checking the "tuner" for the Stephanie B S&W Model 10 show times... :cool:

tango-papa
06-26-2021, 08:50 PM
Nice! I have a 10-8 that I picked up about 15 years ago. I sent it to the S&W Performance Center for their Combat Revolver package and it became my primary IDPA and carry revolver. It's an honest <2" @ 25 yards shooter.

So you have a S&W Model 10 with a factory Performance Center Combat Revolver package, eh?

The photos of said revolver seem to be missing from your post.

Just sayin... ;)

tango-papa
06-26-2021, 08:53 PM
Nice score!

When I recover from the last purchase, a heavy barrel 10 is next on the list.

Thanks - lots of time spent looking for the right condition/price paid off.

Stephanie B
06-29-2021, 12:50 PM

Checking the "tuner" for the Stephanie B S&W Model 10 show times... :cool:

I'm going to do that in the CC.

tango-papa
08-07-2021, 05:33 PM
As stated previously, have been looking for a second Model 10-7 (+/- on the dash) in the right condition/price as the second/twin to the one in the OP - because pairs.

Found a few that fit the bill, but they sold for more than I was willing to spend.

Scored an auction win on a nice looking early (1961/2) Model 10 (4-screw) for what I'll call below "market".
Working in my favor, the sellers photos were not great, but good enough to recognize and see what I needed to make a decision.
And the auction end time was not really ideal, in my experience, for the seller.
I did confirm if do not like, three day inspection with return privilege - return shipping on my dime.

I downloaded all the photos in order to have a better look prior to auction end and the gun appears to be in great shape as do the stocks.
Knowing enough what to look for, I tend not to ask too many questions when the condition/price looks to be in my favor.

The bids held at just under $350 for over a week - winning bid of $476.01, which is just fine with me.

rd62
08-07-2021, 06:18 PM
Nice score

arcticlightfighter
08-07-2021, 06:35 PM
Still looking for a second Model 10-7 (+/- on the dash) in the right condition/price as the twin to the one in the OP - because pairs.

However, scored a nice Model 10-8 at auction for below current "market".

Nice 10-8!

This will be my last SW for a while if I can find one prelock and mint

entropy
08-07-2021, 09:29 PM
That’s a beaut!

tango-papa
08-08-2021, 05:06 PM
Nice score

Thanks - the plan is coming together nicely.

Nice 10-8!

This will be my last SW for a while if I can find one prelock and mint

Good luck on your search.
I'm on the hunt for a second because two is one...

That’s a beaut!

Thanks - very pleased to score an older m10 in what appears to be really nice condition.