PDA

View Full Version : Delaware State Police Adopts SIG SAUER P320 Pistols with Factory Installed ROMEO1PRO

HCM
03-23-2021, 11:24 PM
Delaware State Police Adopts SIG SAUER P320 Pistols with Factory Installed ROMEO1PRO Red Dot Optic

https://soldiersystems.net/2021/03/23/delaware-state-police-adopts-sig-sauer-p320-pistols-with-factory-installed-romeo1pro-red-dot-optic/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=delaware-state-police-adopts-sig-sauer-p320-pistols-with-factory-installed-romeo1pro-red-dot-optic

NEWINGTON, N.H., (March 23, 2021) – Today, SIG SAUER, Inc., announced the Delaware State Police has adopted SIG SAUER P320RXP Pistols which features a factory-installed SIG SAUER Electro-Optics ROMEO1Pro red dot sight. Delaware State Police is a division of the Delaware Department of Public Safety and Homeland Security and is responsible for law enforcement and traffic regulation across the state of Delaware with over 700 troopers.

DrkBlue
03-24-2021, 11:05 PM
My bigger surprise was 700 Troopers for less than a million in population. Goodness, that is a lot of tax dollars at work.

That led me to a rathole of per capita police in the US data. According to 2012, Delaware was #11 of 51.
https://billmcgonigle.com/police-to-population-ratios-by-state-officers-per-thousand/

TGS
03-25-2021, 12:41 AM
DrkBlue

State agencies in the northeast/mid-Atlantic region tend to be larger per capita than most of the country, as they're full service law enforcement agencies that function as the local police department for many localities which are not large enough to support their own full time police department. Where I grew up, if you called 911 you generally got a State Trooper, since our police department was only open 8-5 Monday through Friday, not to mention 4 of the 8 cops being either part-time patrol officers or SROs. They were the primary, full service LE for our area, compared to much of the US where Troopers are mostly performing highway patrol functions and mission-creep out of that role as needed. Most of the State Police agencies in the northeast were founded as State Police, not as Highway Patrol. Example, the NJ State Police and "Highway Patrol" (I can't remember the official title) were actually separate agencies for a few decades. The State Police was founded for the express purpose of being police in the rural areas and small towns, not for highway enforcement.

Sheriffs Departments in these areas are typically limited to court functions and generally don't perform primary full-service policing duties like they do in most of the US....thus, what you'll see is that while the State Police agencies are larger per-capita than much of the US, that Sheriff departments are conversely much smaller, since the Sheriff picks up full-service policing functions for municipalities in a good chunk of the US (or, they don't have "municipalities" to begin with, and the county is the smallest form of government).

To Delaware in particular, last I checked they're the biggest state police agency per-capita in the US. However, remember that relative to the amount of people that live in a small state, Delaware has a lot of transient visitors on its highways and in their beach towns. So, just going by Trooper per-capita isn't a full picture, since the daily population they police is much, much greater.

ETA: Just looked it up, the NJ Highway Patrol Bureau wasn't merged with the NJSP until 1979. I think that should really demonstrate the difference between State Police agencies in the northeast compared to most of the US, where they were founded explicitly for highway patrol (and some today are still strictly limited to it).

call_me_ski
03-25-2021, 05:23 PM
A local agency started issuing the Sig P320 F Pro with a Romeo1 Pro on their last academy cycle. The average qualifying score jumped dramatically and two recruits shot 100s on the qual(first time a recruit has shot a 100). A P320 also discharged and clipped a recruit’s boot while he was futzing with it in the holster trying to draw possibly pulling the trigger. He was one of the squared away recruits.

Interestingly 10% still failed to qualify... I guess it doesn’t replace the fundamentals.

HCM
03-25-2021, 06:17 PM
A local agency started issuing the Sig P320 F Pro with a Romeo1 Pro on their last academy cycle. The average qualifying score jumped dramatically and two recruits shot 100s on the qual(first time a recruit has shot a 100). A P320 also discharged and clipped a recruit’s boot while he was futzing with it in the holster trying to draw possibly pulling the trigger. He was one of the squared away recruits.

Interestingly 10% still failed to qualify... I guess it doesn’t replace the fundamentals.

It does not replace fundamentals. Like all optics, it lets you see better. For new shooters it reduces the task load. New shooters are learning multiple tasks simultaneously, grip, trigger control, follow through etc. The RDS eliminates sight alignment and makes "reading" the sights / shot calling much easier due to increased feedback from the dot.

call_me_ski
03-25-2021, 06:39 PM
The last comment was tongue-in-cheek. Agreed on all parts.

HCM
03-25-2021, 08:19 PM
The last comment was tongue-in-cheek. Agreed on all parts.

I recall recruits shooting themselves with DAO Berettas back in the 90s. It seems somethings are a constant.

Half Moon
03-26-2021, 07:37 AM
I recall recruits shooting themselves with DAO Berettas back in the 90s. It seems somethings are a constant.

Evolutionary theory of fools: for every foolproof system ever devised, an improved breed of fools will arise to overcome it.