PDA

View Full Version : Cerakote or Black Nitride for Optic Cut?

RJ
03-23-2021, 03:52 PM
I am going to have my Glock 48 cut for an optic. I am seeing a couple options to protect the metal, cerakote or black nitride. This pistol is my EDC. Cerakote is cheaper (and I guess less durable) and comes in a variety of colors. The black nitride is at higher cost and takes longer (measures in several weeks).

Is there an obvious answer here? I kinda decided to get cerakote, probably boring graphite black, but wanted to ask the hive.

TIA.

pangloss
03-23-2021, 03:56 PM
I don't think it matters. The milled surface will be protected by the optic so wear resistance doesn't seem critical. I guess nitride would coat the screw hole surfaces better though, so I'd probably go with it unless I was in a big hurry.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

HeavyDuty
03-23-2021, 04:47 PM
And I fatfingered my vote - it was supposed to be nitrating, not cerakote.

tlong17
03-23-2021, 05:28 PM
Nitride. If you’re going through the time and expense and irrevocable change to the slide to cut for an optic, do it right, do it all the way.

Clusterfrack
03-23-2021, 05:33 PM
Cerakote increases the thickness, and is not nearly as durable. If it is just for a slide cut, a good spray paint might be just as good.

RJ
03-23-2021, 05:44 PM
Cerakote increases the thickness, and is not nearly as durable. If it is just for a slide cut, a good spray paint might be just as good.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vht-sp739?seid=srese2&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Brands+|+V&utm_term=4582283430061384&utm_content=GSAPI+5ba290cf3fbf6

?

Clusterfrack
03-23-2021, 05:56 PM
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vht-sp739?seid=srese2&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Brands+|+V&utm_term=4582283430061384&utm_content=GSAPI+5ba290cf3fbf6

?

That looks awesome. Might try that for pairing a SS AR barrel.

GhostDog
03-23-2021, 05:57 PM
NP3 the whole slide. It will cost more and you can make do without it but... You might be glad you did in the long run.

flyrodr
03-23-2021, 06:14 PM
I'd just "paint" it, either with the Cerakote or a can of spray paint. The sight cut is not a wear area, although the dovetail could retain salt/sweat. I'd just make sure there's a film of oil in the cut when you clean the gun. Or spray a shot of Boeshield T-9 into the cut after the sight is in place. It leaves a waxy coating, and should seal up the crack. It does a good job of protecting fly reels, particularly around the reel foot where it's attached to the frame (usually a dovetail) used in the salt.

I've had no issues with Cerakoted dovetail cuts where I had red dots installed . . . although, come to think of it, some are on stainless slides anyway (which doesn't make them corrosion-proof).

RJ
03-23-2021, 06:14 PM
That looks awesome. Might try that for pairing a SS AR barrel.

Gotcha. Properly prepared, I can't see why VHT Brake paint (good for 900 F) isn't an option for a simple slide cut, to be honest.

I mean, I would give up the ability to select Lizard Green Cerakote for a slide color, but that's life I guess. :) It seems they coat the whole slide with this stuff, no matter that they just cut the slide, so you get it on the whole slide surface whether you want it or not. I'm just not crazy about putting that on my slide; I kinda like how it comes from the factory now.

RJ
03-23-2021, 06:16 PM
I'd just "paint" it, either with the Cerakote or a can of spray paint. The sight cut is not a wear area, although the dovetail could retain salt/sweat. I'd just make sure there's a film of oil in the cut when you clean the gun. Or spray a shot of Boeshield T-9 into the cut after the sight is in place. It leaves a waxy coating, and should seal up the crack. It does a good job of protecting fly reels, particularly around the reel foot where it's attached to the frame (usually a dovetail) used in the salt.

I've had no issues with Cerakoted dovetail cuts where I had red dots installed . . . although, come to think of it, some are on stainless slides anyway (which doesn't make them corrosion-proof).

Boeshield is good stuff. Thanks flyrodr...

Flamingo
03-23-2021, 06:42 PM
I just made this choice and I went with the nitride. Who are you having mill the sight? I went with Battlewerx.

flyrodr
03-23-2021, 06:57 PM
I mean, I would give up the ability to select Lizard Green Cerakote for a slide color, but that's life I guess. :)

A Lizard Green slide, paired with holster and belt from just the right critter . . .

. . . would certainly show you had a certain level of class.

Would matching boots be over the top . . .

RJ
03-23-2021, 06:58 PM
I just made this choice and I went with the nitride. Who are you having mill the sight? I went with Battlewerx.

Leaning towards Primary Machine. $150 and I send the slide and optic (507k). Includes cerakote, black nitride is $40 more+8 week lead time.

Flamingo
03-23-2021, 08:08 PM
My total for the milling work, the finish, some suppressor height sights and return shipping was ~$250.

I am pretty excited about trying out this RDS stuff.

Up1911Fan
03-23-2021, 08:13 PM
I'm sending a G45 slide to be milled next week (waiting on the optic), I'll be going with nitrite. I think it's the more durable option.

mmc45414
03-23-2021, 08:42 PM
Isn't the exposed metal stainless?
How much is going to even be visible?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Up1911Fan
03-23-2021, 08:52 PM

David S.
03-23-2021, 09:38 PM
Leaning towards Primary Machine. $150 and I send the slide and optic (507k). Includes cerakote, black nitride is $40 more+8 week lead time.

Given that it's a protected surface on a tactical tupperware gun, *I* wouldn't pay $40 extra and wait 8 extra weeks for nitride finish. I understand why one would, but not for me.

RJ
03-24-2021, 06:49 AM
So I'll most likely get it cerakoted, graphite black.

I'm hoping the surface of the ceramic coating will be slightly less slickery than the nitride, as a side benefit. I think the black slide coatings on Glocks is great, but not as rough as the silver PVD (?) finish I've felt on the earlier Glock 43X/48 slides. Being as how the 48 is so skinny, it's harder for me to get a purchase on it now, since it is so slick. Plus I don't really want to wait another 8 weeks (this is my carry gun) for the nitride, just to cover the milled opening which is covered by the optic anyway. I'm not too worried about cosmetics, my Glocks are just tools; I mean, I take care of them, but they are just tools and I expect tools to have wear marks.

Thanks for all the inputs; it's been a pretty interesting discussion.

mmc45414
03-24-2021, 08:19 AM
Isn't the exposed metal stainless?

Guess not!

tlong17
03-24-2021, 11:58 AM
Key words from Jagerwerks.

Do it right the first time.

Det1397
03-24-2021, 08:09 PM

My 43X was an early silver slide edition. I sent it off to BattleWerx for milling and their black nitrite slide refinish...

Flamingo
04-15-2021, 03:15 PM
Got my slide back from Battlewerks. I sent it on 2 MAR and got it back on 15 APR. Not to bad with the nitrite finish. I sent them an email and they recommended 12 inch pounds for the screws.

Going to go sight in the red dot and check the new iron sights tomorrow.

Redneck Zen
04-21-2021, 01:45 PM
My slides wear all in good condition, had no desire to paint them a tacticool color, so I just cleaned and degreased the cuts, cold blued the shiny exposed (non stainless) steel, cleaned again, polished, repeat, then coated that area with a silicon grease, screwed down the RMR or whatever. I've been carrying/shooting RDS Glocks for five years, no problems with rush or corrosion. if I do get some it's not the end of the world -- just clean it, reapply the cold blue and silicon or whatever and move on.

In the old days, back when few guns were stainless and our 1911s and magnums were mostly blued, I used to apply car wax to fend off the blood, sweat and tears (and rain and snow). Never failed me. I still use waxes on my knives, no reason that wouldn't work on a milled slot.

To me it's about protection, not cosmetics in the milled area. If my gun needed refinishing, then I'd do it. But they didn't, so I didn't bother.

For the record, Glock finishes are better than anything the aftermarket can provide. Well, except maybe for the silver finish; I hear it wears, but I dunno from personal experience.

FWIW Battlewerx did a fantastic job on my 43X for a 407K. I cold blued and siliconed it, so far so good.

Darth_Uno
04-21-2021, 03:32 PM
Just rub a bunch of CLP on between the slide and plate. Nobody is going to see it, and any rust that may happen won’t affect performance.

RJ
04-26-2021, 07:08 PM
The Cerakoted slide returned from Primary Machine today.

I’m extremely pleased with their work. The job looks like it came from Glock. I really like the Graphite Black, it is just a bit less glossy than the original nitride finish. The surface is also just a bit less slickery than the original black. A criticism of my G48 was how slippery the black slide felt.

I appreciate the might not be as durable as the original finish, but since the nDLC is still under there, I’m ok. It’s a Glock; I’m not too worried about cosmetic appearance.

I appreciate all the inputs.

Archer1440
04-27-2021, 08:25 AM
One wonders how one would get Cerakote to stick to “nDLC”. One would expect they blasted the entire slide to get the bond.