PDA

View Full Version : QR AR-15 scope mounts and variable scopes

Little Creek
07-11-2012, 07:36 AM
What is the best buy in a QR scope mount for the Ar-15? What is the best buy in a low power, 1.5 x 4 or 1.5 x 6, scope. Will they clear the MagPul BUIS? I am looking to spend no more than $500 for mount and scope. Thanks.

Jay Cunningham
07-11-2012, 07:46 AM
Tall order for how much you want to spend.

Perhaps a Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24, which is still higher than what you want to spend. Look to LaRue, BoBro or ADM for a mount, which will cost you more still.

You may want to either re-work your requirements to something more realistic, or save your pennies for a while longer.

LittleLebowski
07-11-2012, 08:28 AM
You can haunt the forums for a good deal on a used scope but how often will you be making use of the magnification? I agree with Jay; your budget is too low.

orionz06
07-11-2012, 08:53 AM
What are the requirements? What is the purpose of the gun? $500 is dancing on the edge of a good deal for something decent.

joshs
07-11-2012, 09:05 AM
The best low cost variable I've looked through is the Burris TAC 30/MTAC. You could probably get this scope with a Burris PEPR mount (not QR) for under $500. But, like others have asked, what is your intended use? If you want a low power variable that is as durable as a good red dot and a quality QR mount, you will need to spend significantly more money.

Little Creek
07-11-2012, 02:00 PM
The best low cost variable I've looked through is the Burris TAC 30/MTAC. You could probably get this scope with a Burris PEPR mount (not QR) for under $500. But, like others have asked, what is your intended use? If you want a low power variable that is as durable as a good red dot and a quality QR mount, you will need to spend significantly more money.

I am retired LE. I am not a warfighter. As far as the AR-15 platform is concerned, I am a hobbiest. I will use this weapon to hunt predators, maybe hogs, and doe deer for the freezer. I may also use it to in a local 3-gun match. I have a Prismatic on the carbine and I like it a lot. I just want the option of a quick change to a scope for hunting and to test the accuracy of the weapon.

Kyle Reese
07-11-2012, 02:12 PM
I am retired LE. I am not a warfighter. As far as the AR-15 platform is concerned, I am a hobbiest. I will use this weapon to hunt predators, maybe hogs, and doe deer for the freezer. I may also use it to in a local 3-gun match. I have a Prismatic on the carbine and I like it a lot. I just want the option of a quick change to a scope for hunting and to test the accuracy of the weapon.

Be that as it may, a higher end optic combined with a QD mount mentioned by Jay C might be worth saving for. Screaming deals can be found if you look. I like my Nightforce 1-4x24 w/ FC-2 reticle in LaRue SPR mount.

orionz06
07-11-2012, 02:21 PM
Trijicon 1-4's have dipped as low as $600 in the past few months, with mounts.

Little Creek
07-11-2012, 03:16 PM
Tall order for how much you want to spend.

Perhaps a Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24, which is still higher than what you want to spend. Look to LaRue, BoBro or ADM for a mount, which will cost you more still.

You may want to either re-work your requirements to something more realistic, or save your pennies for a while longer.

Jay,

I am upping my budget to $700 or so and considering the the Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24 as you suggest. I found it for just under $500. I am also looking at the American Defence mounts, the AD-Scout Canteliever, the AD-Scout-X-Canteliever, the ADR, and the ADR X. Which mount offset works best: 1.5", 2", 2.5", or 3"? I would like to leave the MagPul BUIS rear sight in place if that will work. Thanks for your advice as well as the input of others.

JHC
07-11-2012, 05:59 PM
The Vortex PST 1-4 is outstanding based on just one outing shooting it a family member's S&W. Nicest features I've seen in one scope under $1K (compared to Leu's and TR-24).

My $279 Nikon African has performed very well but just a conventional recticle. A friend has a Weaver 1-3 on a carbine that has proven to be a lot of scope for $159 from Midway. Conventional recticle again. Nikon has a set of mounts for scopes like this on ARs priced at $49. I forget their nomenclature. He used them to mount the scope over the MBUS and they fit under fine.

Al T.
07-11-2012, 06:02 PM
LC, you may want to look at the Nikon Monarch line (shotgun scopes) for a very clear and sub-$300 scope. I have one and enjoy it.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/nikon-monarch-2-8x32-riflescope.html

http://www.opticsplanet.com/nikon-monarch-african-riflescope-1-4x20-matte-german-4-8446.html

Suvorov
07-11-2012, 06:27 PM
I've been pleased with my Leupold VX-R Patrol 1.1-4X scope. They can be had for under $600.

Leupold also has a line of MarkAR scopes that come in at the sub $400 mark. I have a 3-9X on my M14 which I've been pleased with.

Nikon also has a line of basic mid-quality scopes targeted at the AR user.

When it comes to mounts, I'm really partial to Larue. I would rather spend the extra $100 on a good mount than on a better scope.

Jay Cunningham
07-12-2012, 07:05 AM
Jay,

I am upping my budget to $700 or so and considering the the Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24 as you suggest. I found it for just under $500. I am also looking at the American Defence mounts, the AD-Scout Canteliever, the AD-Scout-X-Canteliever, the ADR, and the ADR X. Which mount offset works best: 1.5", 2", 2.5", or 3"? I would like to leave the MagPul BUIS rear sight in place if that will work. Thanks for your advice as well as the input of others.

I do not have personal experience with the Viper PST; I was recommending it based off of your stated requirements.

I do have experience with a gen 1 S&B Short Dot and I currently have a Trijicon TR-24G. I have used the ADM AD Scout mount with success.

joshs
07-12-2012, 05:07 PM
Given your budget, I still think the Burris TAC30/MTAC provides the most features in the price range. If you are comparing low power variables, you may want to include the following features in your comparison. I haven't used the Vortex a lot, but I thought the reticle was hard to pick up quickly on 1x.

Eyebox: If you want the scope to be somewhat RDS-like on the lowest power setting, a generous eyebox is one of the most important features to look for. The problem is you generally have to look through the scope mounted on a rifle to get an idea of the size of the eyebox. Some use exit pupil as an estimate for how big the eyebox will be, but in my experience some scopes with smaller listed exit pupils have more generous eyeboxes than scopes with larger listed exit pupils. Eyebox is also important at the high end of the magnification range, but you will usually be able to get a more consistent cheek weld when using more power. However, some scopes with more powerful erectors have terrible eyeboxes at higher powers.

Reticle/Illumination: Generally, a reticle that is bold enough to use quickly without illumination on low power and precise enough to use on small targets at high power is desirable. This usually means use of a second focal plane reticle (SWFA accomplishes this with a FFP reticle). There are two common ways of illuminating the reticle. Some scopes have all or a large portion of the reticle illuminated, while other illuminate only the central aiming point. This mostly comes down to preference, but I much prefer having only the aiming point illuminated. You will also need to decide if you would prefer have ranging/hold over features. Daylight bright illumination is useful, but if the reticle is bold enough on low power it may not be necessary.

Field of View: Having a good FoV on low power is extremely useful when using the scope with both eyes open at close range. Around 100 ft. at 100 yds. is a good benchmark. At high power, anything less than 20 ft. makes it difficult to quickly find a target in the scope.

Size/Weight: The available low power variables vary quite a lot in size and weight. Personally, I find weight to be much more important than the size of the scope. Some of these scopes weigh enough to significantly change the handling characteristics of a lightweight carbine. For me, this is the biggest turnoff of a low power scope compared to a red dot. Most scopes weigh at least a pound more when mounted than an Aimpoint T1 in a Larue mount.

Adjustments: Turrets usually vary by type (capped, exposed, or locking) and adjustment value. Capped turrets are harder to adjust quickly, but are not subject to inadvertent adjustment. Exposed turrets are easy to adjust quickly, but can adjust by accident. Locking turrets provide the benefits of both, but are only available on more expensive scopes. Adjustments are usually in either MOA or mils, either work and it is usually easiest if the adjustments match the reticle. If you plan on only using the turrets to zero, then capped turrets with a fine adjustment value will likely work best because they will allow you to get a very precise zero and you won’t have to worry about bumping the turret and losing zero. But, if you plan on dialing the scope regularly, fine adjustments can be annoying because they require more clicks to get the same adjustment.

Failure2Stop
07-12-2012, 07:43 PM
Well said Josh.

Little Creek
07-17-2012, 07:32 AM
Anyone had any personal expierence with the Burris AR-P.E.P.R. QD Mount?

Sadmin
07-17-2012, 08:40 AM
I do. In short its less than desirable for ME. It "felt" tall and bulky as compared to my LaRue mount.
It did lock up tight once configured, but I much prefer horizontal ring screws to the vertical ones...but thats preference.
I had no issues with it returning to zero after it was all set up / removed / remounted; although only 50 rounds or so were shot with it in use.
I sold it and went with an AD Recon-X mount.

Now as far as the MTAC; im a fan. I agree with Josh that I wish the inner aiming points / bdc dots were the only things illuminated, but it gets super bright.
I have never used but 2 of the brightness settings and they are the lowest available. I also like that every other click on the illumination dial is an "off," it keeps
me from loosing my preferred brightness level. The glass is very clear for the price, and with one of Charlie Drissel's throw levers, the ability to go for longer shots is a snap.

There is a good visual of the reticle here:
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=133336

joshs
07-17-2012, 10:51 PM
Well said Josh.

Thanks dude, I'm pretty sure I got a lot of that info from you.

Little Creek,

You may want to look at the Leupold VXR 1.25-4 as well. I just got the patrol model, and so far, I like it. After trying a number of other scopes, I finally decided that one feature I really want is an electronically illuminated, daylight visible red dot. The only options that have this outside of Swaro and S&B are Leupold's newer scopes with "FireDot" illumination. If you qualify for Leupold's Mil/LE discount or if you shop a bit for a lightly used scope, the VXR line is easily within your price range.

Little Creek
07-18-2012, 06:43 AM
Thanks, joshs.

I have always had good luch with Leupold.

Skyviking
08-02-2012, 09:40 PM
Nikon service leaves a lot to be desired. Larue's prices include their mount, so the price isn't all that bad. Their deal on the NF 1-4x is the best out there, but double your budget. Check the usual sites for deals. Botach is having a killer sale on scopes and RDS, including Trijicon ACOGs.