PDA

View Full Version : RFI: Kids bikes

rob_s
03-19-2021, 02:19 PM
girls are 10 and almost 13. We were buying Specialized for them, and have been happy with them, but honestly they outgrow them faster than they wear out anyway. I need to either buy a new one for the 13 year old and give the little one her old bike, or possibly get both something new.

We aren't heavy bike-riding family but every kid "needs" a bike, right? Wife and I both have bikes so we're sorted there.

Wife wants to "just go get something cheap at Walmart" and frankly I'm not too opposed to that but experience in the past has been that might be a reverse-value proposition (i.e. the kids might actually wear them out before they outgrow them).

Anyone have a relatively inexpensive and easily-procured kid's bike recommendation?

To put this in a "what is inexpensive to him" context, someone suggested Woom Bikes (https://us.woombikes.com/pages/bikes) but it looks like the appropriate size for my little one, cheapest model, would be north of $500. that's more than I'm looking to spend on a bike that gets ridden once a month max. I think that the Specialized the older one has was also ~$500 or so.

I'd really rather be in the $300-or-less realm.

Please don't suggest used. I haven't the patience for humanity. I'll got back to paying $500 before I have to deal with the "I'm selling my used shit on the internet" people around here.

JTMcC
03-19-2021, 03:09 PM
Trek is what we went with for the same reasons.
Miles better than a wallyworld bike, repairable if need be, good resale when they outgrow them.

They have a kids "trade up" program, if you buy it from a real bicycle shop they'll usually do good on consignment.

Might be a little over your $300 number but you'll get a lot of that back later.

Good bicycle shops might have trade ups or used ones in solid condition without dealing with individual sellers : ).

rob_s
03-19-2021, 03:12 PM
Trek is what we went with for the same reasons.
Miles better than a wallyworld bike, repairable if need be, good resale when they outgrow them.

They have a kids "trade up" program, if you buy it from a real bicycle shop they'll usually do good on consignment.

looks like they are price-comperable to the Specialized bikes we've been buying.

hoping for something cheaper given the (lack of) use here.

JTMcC
03-19-2021, 03:17 PM
https://www.bikeexchange.com/s/kids-bikes/trek

JTMcC
03-19-2021, 03:41 PM
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/kids-bikes/kids-hybrid-bikes/precaliber/precaliber-24-8-speed/p/28128/

These are $360 now, we got one at about 300 bucks and she couldn't wear it out. My drive is almost 1/2 mile long and all dirt.

Suvorov
03-19-2021, 08:51 PM
I just bought a Trek Caliber for my 7 y/o’s 8th BD. My 10 y/o is on a REI CoOp bike. The CoOp is high quality but does lack the name recognition that the Trek has and that might mean a lower resale price.

My philosophy on kids bikes is to buy a high quality bike and then sell it when kids out grow them. Around these parts you can get decent return on a well kept used bike, especially with COVID. I am still riding trails on my 27 y/o Trek MTB so I’m already a fan.

rob_s
03-19-2021, 09:30 PM
I just bought a Trek Caliber for my 7 y/o’s 8th BD. My 10 y/o is on a REI CoOp bike. The CoOp is high quality but does lack the name recognition that the Trek has and that might mean a lower resale price.

My philosophy on kids bikes is to buy a high quality bike and then sell it when kids out grow them. Around these parts you can get decent return on a well kept used bike, especially with COVID. I am still riding trails on my 27 y/o Trek MTB so I’m already a fan.

We’ve given away all of the kids previous bikes.

I don’t have the stomach or patience do deal with buying/selling used.

Thought I’d try a different route this go-around and just buy something I can throw in the garbage when they outgrow it. We *might* get 12 rides/year out of a bike, which means maybe 24 rides before the bike is too small.

JAD
03-19-2021, 10:03 PM
I think that if you go buy the cheapest ‘that’s cool enough, Dad’ at Walmart it will go to charity just as well as the specializeds.

jc000
03-19-2021, 11:07 PM
I am a pro mechanic. Hate to say it but much harder to find a solid bike for under $500 these days. I consider Walmart bikes unserviceable and borderline unsafe.

If you could find a previous years' model on clearance for the 10 year old, I had one for my son and it was a very decent bike: https://salsacycles.com/bikes/timberjack_kids/2018_timberjack_24. But, beyond your price range.

For the 13yo, she could probably go with an adult size at this point so there may be a bit more longevity with her bike. At that budget, you're best off (IMO) looking for something from Trek / Kona / Giant / etc. on sale somewhere. With some digging you might be able to get under $500.

revchuck38
03-20-2021, 04:44 AM
I am a pro mechanic. Hate to say it but much harder to find a solid bike for under $500 these days. I consider Walmart bikes unserviceable and borderline unsafe.

If you could find a previous years' model on clearance for the 10 year old, I had one for my son and it was a very decent bike: https://salsacycles.com/bikes/timberjack_kids/2018_timberjack_24. But, beyond your price range.

For the 13yo, she could probably go with an adult size at this point so there may be a bit more longevity with her bike. At that budget, you're best off (IMO) looking for something from Trek / Kona / Giant / etc. on sale somewhere. With some digging you might be able to get under $500.

+1 to this, especially about getting an adult bike for the 13 year old. My retirement job since ‘14 is working in a bike shop, and your predicament is common.

IMO, Giant is the best bang for buck choice out there. Getting a used quality bike from a bike shop is the best way to save money.

Be advised that the last year has been stupid crazy for bike shops. The pipeline is starting to fill back up, but we went several months without getting any bikes in and had to scrounge anything we could find to sell. It might be hard to find what you want, regardless of what’s on the brand’s website.

Another possibility is bikes from a shop’s distributor that aren’t the shop’s main brand. These bikes will be better quality than box store bikes and will be assembled by the shop so they’ll be put together correctly. Availability may still be an issue.

rob_s
03-20-2021, 05:05 AM
We came up against the “no bikes to be had” issue last year, which is part of what is driving the issue of having unusable bikes for them now. The kids were probably already too big for their bikes before all that. We just don’t ride enough to have made it worthwhile to chase all around looking for bikes when shops weren’t even open to walk ins and didn’t have anything in stock anyway.

If we actually used the bikes frequently I’d be happy to pay for a good one. We just don’t get out and ride. Kids don’t seem to enjoy it, it’s just goddamn hot for more than half the year, it’s a hassle to drag them all around town... but when we *do* want to ride it’d be nice to know that we have something at least halfway decent.

I was hoping that there would be some hidden gem for people like us. Not really bike people, just want a passable model, without having to delve into the shit show and time suck of the Craigslist/marketplace used market.

mtnbkr
03-20-2021, 06:06 AM
Unfortunately you have a number of competing requirements.
Good but not expensive
Kids don't really ride much, so you don't want to put much money into it
Don't want to bother with seeking out a good deal

My kids, despite me trying, aren't really into biking either. My oldest learned and would go riding with me from time to time, but the youngest just had no interest at all. Kids biking to and from each others' houses isn't a thing here (it was a major deal when I was growing up).

Thing 1's last bike, and her first adult-sized bike, was a used Giant mountain bike from Craigslist. We spent less time and effort buying that bike than any bike shop purchase I've made previously. I found the bike on CL and ran it by my daughter who said it looked good. I emailed the guy, he responded with a proposed meeting place. We met, I rode the bike and ran it through its paces. My daughter rode it and said she liked it. I gave the guy cash and we left. I spent about 1/4 of the cost of an equivalent bike at a shop for what was essentially a barely used bike.

As I see it, you have three main choices:
Bite the bullet and get a "good" bike from a bike shop, at bike shop prices.
Go cheap on a bike from Wal-Mart and throw it away when it becomes a problem.
Buy a used quality bike from some place like CL at near Wal-Mart prices.

There are other options such as buying a used bike at a bike shop, but not having done that, I don't really have a frame of reference.

Chris

rob_s
03-20-2021, 06:27 AM
What’s the thought on brands like Mongoose and Diamondback, etc these days? They were good when we were kids so are they trash now? Are these the new Walmart brands?

I actually haven’t even been in a Walmart in ages, and have t looked at bikes in one maybe... ever?

The problem with the used market here is that... it’s here. Everything is just trash, the people are largely liars and dirt bags... everywhere you go is an hour roundtrip minimum travel time... yes, potentially if the first bike I went and looked at worked I’d be “ahead” but as soon as that one sale doesn’t work out, I’ve now wasted so much more time that it would have been worth it to buy the $500 bike to begin with.

Pretty much resigning myself at this point to go back to the shop where we got all the other bikes, get the older girl a new one, stick the younger one with the handmedown (sorry kid, being youngest sucks, try to get born first next time) and move on. Already feel like I’ve wasted too much time on this endeavor. We liked the shop and the guys that work there, so why not throw them a bone.

Thanks to everyone for making me realize I was on a fool’s errand to start.

Caballoflaco
03-20-2021, 08:24 AM
What’s the thought on brands like Mongoose and Diamondback, etc these days? They were good when we were kids so are they trash now? Are these the new Walmart brands?

I actually haven’t even been in a Walmart in ages, and have t looked at bikes in one maybe... ever?

The problem with the used market here is that... it’s here. Everything is just trash, the people are largely liars and dirt bags... everywhere you go is an hour roundtrip minimum travel time... yes, potentially if the first bike I went and looked at worked I’d be “ahead” but as soon as that one sale doesn’t work out, I’ve now wasted so much more time that it would have been worth it to buy the $500 bike to begin with.

Pretty much resigning myself at this point to go back to the shop where we got all the other bikes, get the older girl a new one, stick the younger one with the handmedown (sorry kid, being youngest sucks, try to get born first next time) and move on. Already feel like I’ve wasted too much time on this endeavor. We liked the shop and the guys that work there, so why not throw them a bone.

Thanks to everyone for making me realize I was on a fool’s errand to start.

Mongoose and Diamondback got bought out by Conglomos and are garbage, unfortunately. I worked as a wrench full time for 6 years and I hated seeing folks who obviously didn’t have much extra money bringing in brand new $150 Walmart bikes and them paying us another $60 or $70 just to reassemble it properly and safely so stuff like the brakes actually work and don’t drag the rims.

At the shop I worked at we had a pretty decent trade-in program. It’s been a while, but iirc if a bike was a brand we sold or of equivalent quality and not trashed we’d usually give around 1/3 it’s original price in trade in on a new bike. Take the little one’s bike with you and see what they’ll give you for it. Call the shop and see if they take trades, I bet they do, especially right now. You can also check your local shop’s web site to see if they have anything used. I agree that used from Craigslist would be a no-go just due to time and people involved, used from a good shop should mean their mechanics have gone through and cleaned and tuned everything up to where that’s probably the best value around for kids bikes.

0ddl0t
03-20-2021, 09:43 AM
Honestly a coaster-brake cruiser from walmart or target will do the job of holding together for the <100 miles/year it sounds like your girls will ride. For something a bit more durable and aesthetically pleasing, I'd get an Electra (owned by Trek) which should come in around $300 for a 1 spd coaster brake. For a preteen/teen girl's rare or casual riding in Florida external brakes & gears probably aren't worth the extra expense & durability hit.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0159/3522/products/Cruiser124StepThruUS_20_24433_C_Primary_1024x1024. jpg

Caballoflaco
03-20-2021, 10:10 AM
I’ll second 0ddl0t’s idea. Considering the fact that you live in Florida ie Flatistan and for the use you describe the beach cruiser ain’t a bad idea if your kids like them. They can also be had with geared hub if you care.

vcdgrips
03-20-2021, 10:44 AM
MTNBKR has framed the issue perfectly. As you say you put significant value on your time/talent v. treasure, just buy something entry level from a local bike shop an drive on. Presumably, it will be assembled correctly and have warranty/customer support.

I think Oddlot is on to something as well re buying a simple coaster from a big box store as they are likely to not be used much at all and those are seemingly easier to assemble/tune by whoever does that at the store.

One a complete aside and at the risk of being snide

Passing down to the youngest sucks as a parenting strategy when you can afford not to. It is a tangible and repeatable message that one of your children is literally worth more (and less) than the other. I am not cool with accident of birth determining material enrichment of juveniles within the household. If it a money thing, buy two new cheaper ones or two equal used. Or do you as you do.

jc000
03-20-2021, 10:47 AM
We bought an Electra for my father-in-law. Concur that it's a serviceable, inexpensive option especially in 1-sp cruiser form.

fixer
03-20-2021, 10:48 AM
Planning this very upgrade from a Huffy that I've rebuilt and set up well for my 6yr old.

I've been looking at Haro bikes but they are heavy on BMX.

Caballoflaco
03-20-2021, 11:45 AM
Planning this very upgrade from a Huffy that I've rebuilt and set up well for my 6yr old.

I've been looking at Haro bikes but they are heavy on BMX.

I sold the hell out of Haro kid’s bikes back in the day and enjoyed building them too (that’s mechanic speak for they were good quality and easy to set up), and I wasn’t ever much of a BMX guy. I do think bmx bikes make good kids bikes if you’re looking for something simple. Haro’s also usually have cool paint jobs and graphics that kids like.

My best friend still rides a Haro 29’er single speed I convinced him to buy when it came into our shop as a trade in over a decade ago, and he rides a lot and owns much nicer/higher cost road and Mt Bikes.

rob_s
03-20-2021, 12:08 PM
Well, got the little one set up with the big one’s Specialized (pretty sure it’s a 24”) today and she’s ecstatic (guess she will have to find something else to whine to her shrink about when she’s 30). Fits her perfect and looks like she’ll have some room to grow on it, thank god.

Unfortunately the single-speed, beach cruiser thing won’t work for us because all the other kids in the ‘hood, plus sissy, plus mom and dad, have gears which means the little one was already getting left behind unintentionally. Also, while flat, Florida has a lot of sand and while “flat” means no “ups” it also means no “downs” so when we go for a ride it means pretty much nonstop peddling. When everyone in the group is on a single speed and on pavement, works great. If not, sucks for anyone without gears.

Now I just gotta take the big one to a local bike shop and bite the bullet. Going to the shop just me and her will be fun anyway.

Never was really about “can’t afford”, was always more about “would be stupid to just waste the money” and “would rather spend it on something else as a ram” but factoring in the cost of my time and cost of future bullshit, seems prudent to just go drop the cash and get the big one another decent bike. The little one can have that later too if she doesn’t hate us by then, or if the big one doesn’t take it when she leaves the nest. Little one gets enough “new” shit to hopefully not wind up clinically depressed in 30 years and is still young enough that she thinks her sister is cool (most of the time) and getting some of her stuff is therefore cool too.

Any reason not to just stick with our Specialozed default for the big one? I assume a 26” will wind up the way to go?

Lex Luthier
03-20-2021, 12:27 PM
Go with the bike shop's suggestions, especially if they have a female sales or tech person to help. There's a lot of physical details to fit (that you and I male-types will probably not grok) that are starting to be important at this time in her life. If you find a good used bike, add a couple of accessories to really help it fit.
The better the fit, the more they like the ride.
Like firearms, a good well-fit bike will disappear and just become an extension of physical will to the user.

Caballoflaco
03-20-2021, 12:50 PM
Well, got the little one set up with the big one’s Specialized (pretty sure it’s a 24”) today and she’s ecstatic (guess she will have to find something else to whine to her shrink about when she’s 30). Fits her perfect and looks like she’ll have some room to grow on it, thank god.

Unfortunately the single-speed, beach cruiser thing won’t work for us because all the other kids in the ‘hood, plus sissy, plus mom and dad, have gears which means the little one was already getting left behind unintentionally. Also, while flat, Florida has a lot of sand and while “flat” means no “ups” it also means no “downs” so when we go for a ride it means pretty much nonstop peddling. When everyone in the group is on a single speed and on pavement, works great. If not, sucks for anyone without gears.

Now I just gotta take the big one to a local bike shop and bite the bullet. Going to the shop just me and her will be fun anyway.

Any reason not to just stick with our Specialozed default for the big one? I assume a 26” will wind up the way to go?

That’s awesome that you got the younger one setup today, sounds like it was a good experience.

As for the Specialized that’d be a great choice. Like I used to tell anyone who asked while I was in that industry: there really isn’t any major difference between the good bike shop brands at that price level. If you like the shop, and it sounds like you do, I’d just go back there. And yeah 26” should be fine, but at that wheel size you’ll start getting into different frame sizes. As Lex said a good shop will make sure she leaves with something that fits. She’ll probably end up trying a couple of sizes while there to see what’s more comfortable.

jc000
03-20-2021, 01:18 PM
Don't worry too terribly much about wheel size. If she's close to adult-sized there are other wheel options (27.5", 700c, etc.) that might work great too.

I would echo what Caballoflaco says and concur any bike from a quality major manufacturer (Specialized, Trek, Giant, etc.) will be very similar in quality at each price point. It ends up being more about personal preferences once you settle on a budget.

0ddl0t
03-20-2021, 02:30 PM

You won't go wrong with a Specialized sold from a shop that takes just the slightest care during assembly. revchuck38 already mentioned it, but I also do think highly of Giant from a value perspective.

At 12-13, she may well be tall enough for 26". I like 700c for pavement, but it wouldn't be my first choice for sand. I'm out of date on 27.5, and think she is likely not a good candidate for 29er unless very tall. So my bias would be to 26" in part because you can (in non covid times) find a tire and tube anywhere.

Circling back to Electra, I'd reiterate a point Caballoflaco brought up which is that at a slightly higher price point they can be had with gears (and external brakes). In normal times the single speed would be under $300 with a 7 speed version going for maybe $30 more and maybe $100 more for one with matching fenders.

Two things special about Electra are

1) their "fashionable" design schemes which, while this is sexist, are truly a big hit with most women. While they've narrowed their lines down, they still offer paint scheme choices for most models with optional matching fenders & racks and baskets. And most of their bikes come with chain guards which help prevent getting grease on your leg or clothes. For many of the high school & college aged girls I sold to 15-20 years ago, electra bikes were more approachable whereas the mountain bike designs tended to be more popular with the truly outdoorsy types.

2) Their "flat foot" frame design which puts the cranks a bit forward of other bikes (officially only on the townie but a similar design is on all their cruisers) There are a couple of big benefits of this: One major one is that one frame size truly fits most people so if she's big enough for 26" the bike can grow with her into college and adulthood. This is because the seat tube is angled rearward which means it goes back and up as you grow, giving you space in both directions.

The other major benefit of the crank-forward design is that you can remain seated and put your foot down on the ground when you come to a stop. In practice it is more like toes than flat foot, but you're still much less likely to bobble and fall. College girls here love this because they can stop and talk to people and "walk" alongside them without leaving the seat.

The only real downside of the crank forward is that standing on the pedals is a bit awkward so they aren't great for climbing steep hills. You can still do it (especially with the geared versions), but it isn't as good at it.

fixer
03-20-2021, 04:56 PM
I sold the hell out of Haro kid’s bikes back in the day and enjoyed building them too (that’s mechanic speak for they were good quality and easy to set up), and I wasn’t ever much of a BMX guy. I do think bmx bikes make good kids bikes if you’re looking for something simple. Haro’s also usually have cool paint jobs and graphics that kids like.

My best friend still rides a Haro 29’er single speed I convinced him to buy when it came into our shop as a trade in over a decade ago, and he rides a lot and owns much nicer/higher cost road and Mt Bikes.

Thanks for your experience.

When I grew up Haro was bespoke. That stuck with me for a long time. They had the best riders and best bikes decades running.

revchuck38
03-20-2021, 08:47 PM
FYI for the guys who’ve been away from it for a while, 26” is obsolete except for cruisers and such. Hybrids now are usually 700c, and mountain bikes are 27.5 or 29. 650B is now a thing for some hybrids.