PDA

View Full Version : New to Pistol RDS

JB2000
03-16-2021, 04:23 PM
My eyes are at a point where I can't see the front sight clearly anymore. Bright front sights like Trijicon HDs help but only to a certain point. I finally have the finances to try out an RDS and wanted advice on the best way to do that. None of my pistols are RDS ready and I don't own an RDS. What would be the best path to an RDS pistol? It would be CCW, and range practice. Nothing hard use.

Options I have seen:
1.) I could start with a dovetail mount but that seems like it would put the dot higher than ideal and would delete the rear sight.
2.) I could have my existing slide milled but that seems to be around $250 on my PPQ and involves removing the rear sight.
3.) I could pick up a Walther PDP which, while the most expensive option, involves the least risk because I can always sell the gun if I decide dots aren't for me.

In terms of a dot, the Holosun HS507c-X2 is reasonably priced and reliable if it makes it past teething. Any other options I should consider for a first RDS?

Thanks for your help and input.

dontshakepandas
03-16-2021, 04:54 PM
I'd probably go with the option 3 and pick up the PDP if you are set on sticking with Walther. You can always sell the PPQ to offset some of the cost if you are concerned with budget more than having a backup gun.

If I was starting fresh with an optic, I'd probably start with the 507c with the ACSS Vulcan reticle. You'll still have to train to acclimate to the dot, but I think that could help speed up the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59n8w3PLxPU

Lon
03-16-2021, 05:03 PM
Option 4 - have CHPWS direct mill a 507k to your slide and keep your factory sights for $125

https://chpws.com/product/walther-slide-optic-milling

flyrodr
03-16-2021, 06:42 PM
If the opportunity exists where you are, I'd go to a range with rental guns, and try as many different RDS as they have - - - focusing (sorry) on the RDS models and not so much on the specific pistol. Speaking as an old, mostly-but-not-completely-corrected nearsighted guy, I have found the RDS with the larger windows (e.g., the SRO) are much easier to use than the smaller-windowed models. Perhaps it's that they offer more help with target focus than acquiring the dot - - - one looks, or at least I look, more at the target than at the surrounding RDS frame when the "hole" is larger. And you have a larger FOV. Your gun of choice, method of carry, etc. might limit you to a smaller optic, but again, before jumping into the deep end, if there is the option, try out as many as you can.

If it fits your finances, I'd consider a "MOS"-type gun that offers multiple plates and the use of different RDS. If you find that you like the RDS, but decide on a different model, you can use the same base gun with a different plate. Or, if you find you don't like the gun, I'd think a multi-plate used gun would sell better than one with a dot-specific cut. Yes, dot-specific-cuts are "better" (few parts to come loose, tighter tolerances, etc.), but, assembled correctly, I think most multi-plate guns "stay in one piece" pretty well.

Holosun seems to be well-regarded, and is considerably cheaper than Trijicon. For instance, the above-mentioned 507C-X2.

Lots and lots of good info in various threads on P-F.

David S.
03-17-2021, 07:22 AM
I think all three options are reasonable.

1) I started with the dovetail mount and quickly decided to mill my slide. The EGW mount sits in a box somewhere. If your eyesight is such that you're fairly convinced RDS is going to be a thing for you, I'd skip this step. Go to the gun store, hold optic up at arms length and see if the dot blooms (astigmatism), if not, rock on.

2,3) Slide milling vs. new gun. I suspect it's going to be a wash. The upside of a new gun is that it is plug & play and the downside of milling is you lose access to you gun (slide) for a few weeks. If finances are tight, don't forget to factor in the cost/waiting period for new holsters, mags and ammo for new gun reliability testing.

If I ran an optics ready gun I'd be happy to use a CHPWS plate, but I've seen enough to not quite trust CHPWS to mill my slide. On the other hand, all of the bigger RDS instructors that I'm aware of seem to trust C&H, so I don't know. I've had two slides milled by Vulcan (https://www.vulcanmachinewerks.com/) here in the DFW area. I've heard good things about several others. If they don't list your PPQ, contact them and see if they can do it anyway.

IMO, whoever you choose, make sure they're milling for the forward bosses. One of my slides (not milled by Vulcan) isn't. The RDS is two or three clicks from full left and I'm less confident that it will stay zero'd.

Lastly, I think the H507c is currently the best all-around optic for non-MIL/LE. That's based on my personal preferences and the comments/reviews from RDS instructors like Cowan, Jedi, Fisher and Pressburg. YMMV, and all that. I think GJM says that if your Holosun survives the first thousand or so rounds then it'll very likely be good to go for a long time. If I was uniformed MIL/LE, I'd strongly consider an enclosed emitter. If I was more of a gamer, I'd strongly consider a SRO.

Cheers,
D

JB2000
03-17-2021, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the replies, I appreciate all of the input.

I used to just be near-sighted but I have to use readers now as well. My local range doesn't rent guns with RDS but last time I was there someone let me try there Shadow Systems with a green dot. The dot did bloom a little but I think it was turned up a little high. I looked through a 507C at a shop and it seemed crisp to me. Right now I'm leaning toward a PDP because I do like the Walthers and it shares magazines with my PPQ. I can start with one dot and if I decide to go to another, it's just a new optics plate.

Thanks again everyone!