PDA

View Full Version : In appreciation of Mark Housel

YVK
03-13-2021, 10:22 AM
Mark Housel

I came across the news of you moving on to the next phase of your personal and professional life on another forum. I'd like to thank you for a number of projects that you've done for me over the years, and wish you the best!

https://www.landmprecisiongunworks.com/

Default.mp3
03-13-2021, 11:59 AM
https://i.imgur.com/iyZSpaK.gif

Mark has been great to work with. Willing to take on my weird requests, and always great with communications, which is a huge rarity in the gun industry, IME. I'm gonna be proper fucked now if anything goes wrong or if I need another gun done. IMO, the RDS slide mounting industry has suffered a serious blow; any hack can slap an RMR on an SFA, but finding someone who can figure out how to work a new optic onto an oddball gun, and being able to do it consistently while running a good business? Can't say I know of anyone that can do that.

Enjoy your retirement, Mark, you've earned it.

Lon
03-13-2021, 12:42 PM
Enjoy retirement Mark Housel. I was extremely happy with the work you’ve done for me over the years. I may have been the first CZ P.07 you RMR’d and I have used the fitment from that work as a gauge I compare other manufacturers with. Many haven’t compared. Thanks for all you’ve done for the red dot community.

DMCutter
03-13-2021, 01:15 PM
I'm glad I got my USPC9 RMR'ed last year. Nothing but praise for Mark's work.

flyrodr
03-13-2021, 02:41 PM
Mark Housel

Mark has done several milling jobs for me, and all have been first class. No "do-overs". Plus, he's only about 45 minutes down the highway, so he's easily accessible in person for those times I have special requests "Can you mount a red dot on this pistol?" (that was at that point never intended to have one).

Super nice guy too. And I'd have never guessed he's 68!

RIP Mark!! (RELAX in peace!)

Buzz

1911Nut
03-13-2021, 06:00 PM
Before he left AZ, Mark did two slides for me (an RMR and a DP Pro) and the work in each case was top notch, fairly priced, and completed AHEAD of schedule. But the best part of the experience was getting to visit with him. He is simply one of the good guys. Best wishes for an enjoyable retirement, Mark!

rdtompki
03-13-2021, 07:42 PM
Don't know Mark but he has well-deserved fans. It's a sad commentary on our youth that he couldn't find an apprentice to take over the business. Seems like a great opportunity.

Erick Gelhaus
03-14-2021, 12:58 AM
Mark cut, milled my first dedicated optics pistol.

Thank you, Mark, for all of that work and for the friends of mine whose guns you worked on!

Quantrill
03-14-2021, 01:27 AM
Mark cut 2 slides for me and answered a lot emails. Always professional. Never heard any of the horror stories about him that are too common with Instagram overnight sensation shops

Archer1440
03-14-2021, 10:09 AM
With this news, is there anyone else capable of milling HK P30’s for RDS? (I think not, at this time.)

It’s always bittersweet to see someone really good at their work moving on, but congratulations and best wishes to Mark.

Default.mp3
03-14-2021, 11:05 AM
With this news, is there anyone else capable of milling HK P30’s for RDS? (I think not, at this time.)

It’s always bittersweet to see someone really good at their work moving on, but congratulations and best wishes to Mark.Wright Armory and Ashbury Precision Ordnance both have P30s on their list of work, though APO seems to be doing RMRs only, and word has it they're quite difficult to get ahold of.

mmc45414
03-15-2021, 08:43 AM
It's a sad commentary on our youth that he couldn't find an apprentice to take over the business. Seems like a great opportunity.
I do admit I thought "Hmmmmmm, where is this business located?..."

And I'd have never guessed he's 68!
Then I remembered I am not all that young anymore!

Moylan
03-15-2021, 11:42 AM
I do admit I thought "Hmmmmmm, where is this business located?..."

I just sent Mark's announcement to my oldest son. Maybe too late. He's still got another year in college and I don't think it makes sense for him to drop out at this point, even if an apprenticeship were offered. But heck, it looks like Mark's shop is less than 2 hours from us, and I'm a big believer in getting our young people into trades and crafts and such. Maybe he can work for him this summer and then they can figure things out for after he graduates...….. Longshot, I guess. ;)

CWM11B
03-15-2021, 12:58 PM
Mark Housel

Mark has done several milling jobs for me, and all have been first class. No "do-overs". Plus, he's only about 45 minutes down the highway, so he's easily accessible in person for those times I have special requests "Can you mount a red dot on this pistol?" (that was at that point never intended to have one).

Super nice guy too. And I'd have never guessed he's 68!

RIP Mark!! (RELAX in peace!)

Buzz

I too have made a few treks to his shop. He's about two hours from me. If he's going to stay in NC, I hope he considers guest lecturing/holding seminars/archiving his techniques & drawings at the Montgomery County Community College Gunsmithing School. That is one of the biggest GS schools in the country, is very well renowned, and only about 45 minutes form his place. I'm sure he could find a suitable candidate there, or at least spool up the new guys in his methods. He's done three pistols for me and I am very pleased with the work. I hope he has many healthy and happy years of retirement. I was selfishly bummed when I read this, as I was going to send him another slide next week from a project I'm doing. It will be extraordinarily difficult to find another craftsman as highly skilled with the genuinely great personality he has. I'd never have thought he was 68 either.

flyrodr
03-15-2021, 01:04 PM
If he's going to stay in NC, I hope he considers guest lecturing/holding seminars/archiving his techniques & drawings at the Montgomery County Community College Gunsmithing School.

CWM11B

Brilliant suggestion!!

CWM11B
03-15-2021, 01:12 PM
I plan on reaching out to him about it. I know he's only been in NC a few years, and I am reasonably sure he's heard of the place, but then again, maybe not. I took an armorers class there this weekend for the first time, and have another hobbyist class there next weekend. It was my first trip there an I was amazed at how big that program is. There is a two year wait to get in it. Were I younger (and not a bear of very little brain with more mechanical skills) I would be applying. I've known about it for decades and kick myself for not doing the weekend courses sooner.

Oh, and "brilliant" used with my name in the same sentence is something I'm not used to seeing. Not accurate at ALL :D

Up1911Fan
03-15-2021, 03:44 PM
Talked to Mark today and he agreed to do my P365/RMRcc before he calls it quits. It's already in the mail.

Mark Housel
03-16-2021, 06:02 PM
I too have made a few treks to his shop. He's about two hours from me. If he's going to stay in NC, I hope he considers guest lecturing/holding seminars/archiving his techniques & drawings at the Montgomery County Community College Gunsmithing School. That is one of the biggest GS schools in the country, is very well renowned, and only about 45 minutes form his place. I'm sure he could find a suitable candidate there, or at least spool up the new guys in his methods. He's done three pistols for me and I am very pleased with the work. I hope he has many healthy and happy years of retirement. I was selfishly bummed when I read this, as I was going to send him another slide next week from a project I'm doing. It will be extraordinarily difficult to find another craftsman as highly skilled with the genuinely great personality he has. I'd never have thought he was 68 either.
I contacted Mark Dye at the college.

When I went to school I had few financial limitations for tools and the like. But a number of other students weren't nearly so fortunate. So I figured that there are probably always students in the position.

Anyway I gave the school a bunch of old stuff left from school (barrel blanks, reamers, synthetic stocks, rifle related tools, etc.). At least all of the stuff will go to some student that can use them (I hope), or benefit the school in some manner.

Mark said there were two student that might be interested.
A couple guys came out and we talked for a while but they didn't seem interested at all since they never called me back.

I will end up keeping most of the equipment (there is a plan for relocation though) and it would never occur to me to lose any of the technical information (CAD/CAM, programs, etc. etc.). As far as I know, we are in NC for the duration.

Anyway, thank you everyone for all of the kind words.

Take care,
Mark

CWM11B
03-16-2021, 06:14 PM
Class act sir. Class act.

Lyonsgrid
03-16-2021, 07:42 PM
Nothing but well wishes to Mark.
I've sent 5-6 slides to him over the years and referred many more co-workers and friends. I never heard a single complaint and appreciate the way he ran his business. I've stopped in several times to pick up a finished slide and he was very gracious. Awesome guy.

Dr_Nimslow
03-26-2021, 03:48 PM

It’s always bittersweet to see someone really good at their work moving on, but congratulations and best wishes to Mark.

Wright Armory and Ashbury Precision Ordnance both have P30s on their list of work, though APO seems to be doing RMRs only, and word has it they're quite difficult to get ahold of.

My P30 and HK45 slides, along with a couple of RMR's are at APO currently. I'll report back when I get them returned.

Enjoy your retirement Mark, it's well deserved.