PDA

View Full Version : Best 5.56 flash hider/comp device

fatdog
03-10-2021, 10:03 PM
All of my AR uppers either have a comp suitable for 3gun/USPSA or a flash hider of some sort, mostly A1 or A2, or a YHM version.

My new WWSD build is quite "whippy" shot to shot and needs something other than the A1 birdcage I built it with to smooth that out.

Anybody have a device available in the current market that you think does a good job of being both the flash hider and gives a bit more comp performance than a plain old A2 bird cage?

thanks

Norville
03-10-2021, 10:13 PM
I’ve got a BCM on my BCM upper, seems to do both reasonably well.

This might help too:

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/ar-15-flash-hider-shootout/

Colt191145lover
03-10-2021, 10:50 PM
I'm a big fan of the Surefire Warcomps, I find them less blasty than most other designs and they hide the flash real well.

Willard
03-10-2021, 11:06 PM
Smith Enterprise Vortex is my favorite for flash suppression. I have no need for a comp.

DpdG
03-11-2021, 12:10 AM
Two things- if you’re using a Faxon mid-length barrel, they tend to be quite gassy. I ended up using an adjustable gas block. Second, the Strike J-Comp is surprisingly effective and economical while being less obnoxious than a number of other comps. Also, it’s usually around $40.

23JAZ
03-11-2021, 07:28 AM
I have this on my 11.5 build. IMO it does a good job as a comp and for flash suppression.

https://sjhardware.us/product/ar15-223-linear-compensator-nano-1-5/

fatdog
03-11-2021, 07:53 AM
a Faxon mid-length barrel, they tend to be quite gassy. .

Went with the Daniel Defense version of the same, pencil barrel midlength gas, but that problem may be present. This is the first time I have used a skeletonized BC as well and I just have a standard buffer in place, so several things I can do to tame this I think,.

Thanks for all the recommendations.

Wake27
03-11-2021, 08:58 AM
If you don’t need a suppressor mount but want a good compromise, I prefer the BCM Comp if the comp side is more important or the Forward Controls Design 6315 if the flash hider is more important. Both are hybrids but the BCM is definitely more of a comp than the FCD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DpdG
03-11-2021, 12:08 PM
Went with the Daniel Defense version of the same, pencil barrel midlength gas, but that problem may be present. This is the first time I have used a skeletonized BC as well and I just have a standard buffer in place, so several things I can do to tame this I think,.

I suspect the DD barrel isn’t as overgassed as the Faxon, but lightweight BCG without adjustable gas block is not a normal combo. Generally when using a lightweight bcg, one turns down the gas to compensate as less energy is needed to cycle. I would play with gas/reciprocating weight before muzzle device as excess bolt velocity will wear on internals like hammer pin and disconnector, even if a comp brings felt recoil back to average.

theJanitor
03-11-2021, 12:18 PM
Black River Tactical has gas tubes with different port sizes, so you can simulate a smaller barrel port.

I'm trying out a Superlative Arms gas block right now, as it was recommended by Rainier Arms to pair with their precision SPR barrel. That block bleeds gas off, not like most blocks which just reduce the port size

DpdG
03-11-2021, 01:00 PM
Black River Tactical has gas tubes with different port sizes, so you can simulate a smaller barrel port.

I'm trying out a Superlative Arms gas block right now, as it was recommended by Rainier Arms to pair with their precision SPR barrel. That block bleeds gas off, not like most blocks which just reduce the port size

I have the SA bleed off block on a Faxon 14.5” middy (.082” port per their specs vs. .072-076” for most manufacturers). So far I’m very happy with it, but admittedly my round count has been pretty low on that upper due to the ammo situation.

FWIW, I have a similar 16” BA Hansen that is advertised around .074” and it runs great with M16 BCG/H2 and AE223 ammo.

rob_s
03-11-2021, 01:24 PM
I'm a big fan of the Surefire Warcomps, I find them less blasty than most other designs and they hide the flash real well.

In my testing, many moons ago, IIRC this was the best "flash hider".

theJanitor
03-11-2021, 01:46 PM
I have no direct experience, but a very good buddy of mine says that this FH works really well, even on his shorty 7.62 HK417. Says it barely glows under nods. No idea what ammo he's issued, as that always makes a difference

https://precisionarmament.com/efab-hybrid-muzzle-brake/

BWT
03-11-2021, 02:08 PM
I’d be tempted to go with the closed tined Warcomp.

No ping, good reduction in flash, and good reviews on flattening the recoil out.

snow white
03-11-2021, 03:14 PM
I love the warcomp.

Oukaapie
03-15-2021, 03:01 PM
I've settled on EFAB on 5.56. I have others on my infrequent shooters. V6 with Diffuser, A2, BCM but prefer the EFB for balance of concussion and handling. I have the old PWS on a 5.45 and its LOUD. The V6 is also quite nasty, seems a little less nasty with diffuser.

Casual Friday
03-15-2021, 04:25 PM

I'd put a full auto profile bolt carrier and a H1 or H2 buffer in it before trying to tame it with brake or a comp.

Colt191145lover
03-15-2021, 07:59 PM
I’d be tempted to go with the closed tined Warcomp.

No ping, good reduction in flash, and good reviews on flattening the recoil out.

Hate to say that my closed tine Warcomp still rings, although not as bad as the open tine.

Default.mp3
03-15-2021, 10:23 PM
I've heard folks here and there talk about how the open-tine WarComps can cause accuracy issues, but they seem few and far between. On the flip side, I'm told that the closed-tine WarComps do not suppress flash as well as the open-tine.

BWT
03-15-2021, 10:47 PM
Hate to say that my closed tine Warcomp still rings, although not as bad as the open tine.

You’re dead to me.

Well that’s unfortunate. I honestly wonder how that’s possible with a close tined (not doubting you just baffled). Thank you for the insight.

Colt191145lover
03-15-2021, 10:53 PM
I was more than surprised when I installed it lol. Getting some carbon on it especially with a can helps tone it down.

Wake27
03-16-2021, 07:25 AM
I don’t remember if I posted it in here but I felt that the closed time warcomp caused a super weird recoil impulse. I’m not really sure how to describe it, but I struggled like crazy keeping the dot on target with otherwise soft shooting rifles.

theJanitor
03-16-2021, 12:21 PM

I can't hear any ringing through my tinnitus.

I don’t remember if I posted it in here but I felt that the closed time warcomp caused a super weird recoil impulse. I’m not really sure how to describe it, but I struggled like crazy keeping the dot on target with otherwise soft shooting rifles.

was it timed straight up?

Colt191145lover
03-16-2021, 04:14 PM
I have heard it's worse on shorter barrels but have not tried them on a standard carbine.
Mine is on a 11.5 BCM, neutral timed and the recoil empulse is a funky downward and to the right movement. My Warcomp open tine (neutral timed) on a Centurion arms 12.5 does not do that.

Darth_Uno
03-16-2021, 05:31 PM
I don't know about flash suppression (not a huge concern of mine) but I like the closed-tine Warcomp and SOLGW NOX flash hider equally well. Open tine Warcomp has a distinct ring, while the closed tine and NOX (despite being open tine) does not. All three noticeably reduce muzzle rise without being offensively loud.

The Griffin M4SD comp is stupid loud, but I only tried it on a 10.5" barrel. It does work though.

Wake27
03-17-2021, 08:38 PM
I can't hear any ringing through my tinnitus.

was it timed straight up?

It was.