PDA

View Full Version : Chambers custom red dot plate.. As good as it gets for a 1911

rathos
03-09-2021, 05:06 PM
I recently had my ruger light weight commander milled for a RMR pattern plate (https://www.store.chamberscustom.com/products/chambers-custom-rdms-plate). After having one of my .45s done with the trijicon plate, I was not too impressed. The trijicon plate uses very high suppressor height sights, is no where near point of aim point of impact and the rear sight is milled into the plate, so it cannot be changed. After doing a lot of research into currently options I decided to go with the chambers custom plate. It is milled low enough that you can use standard height sights, so that takes care of most of the hassle of red dots. The rear sight is also located in front of the red dot and is driftable. The only requirement for this plate is that it is installed and your slide is milled by a trusted gunsmith of Mr Chambers. This is to ensure it is installed correctly. I used AJ Zito of Practical performance (https://practicalperformance.org/author/ajzito/). The entire process was about two weeks. My understanding is that they are currently working on a plate for the 509T as well.

HCM
03-09-2021, 06:51 PM
I recently had my ruger light weight commander milled for a RMR pattern plate (https://www.store.chamberscustom.com/products/chambers-custom-rdms-plate). After having one of my .45s done with the trijicon plate, I was not too impressed. The trijicon plate uses very high suppressor height sights, is no where near point of aim point of impact and the rear sight is milled into the plate, so it cannot be changed. After doing a lot of research into currently options I decided to go with the chambers custom plate. It is milled low enough that you can use standard height sights, so that takes care of most of the hassle of red dots. The rear sight is also located in front of the red dot and is driftable. The only requirement for this plate is that it is installed and your slide is milled by a trusted gunsmith of Mr Chambers. This is to ensure it is installed correctly. I used AJ Zito of Practical performance (https://practicalperformance.org/author/ajzito/). The entire process was about two weeks. My understanding is that they are currently working on a plate for the 509T as well.

It sounds like who ever did your initial Trijicon plate install may have done something wrong. The BUIS on my Springfield Operator with factory installed Trijicon plate shoot POA/POI at 7 and 15 yards (furthest I've shot them). In fairness on the P&S Modcast 1911 episode, Two World Wars !, Chambers mentioned on of the downsides of the Trijicon plate is that it is difficult to install properly.

rathos
03-09-2021, 06:56 PM
I don't care it if is POA/POI at 7, 10 or 15. Close enough is ok, its 25 yards that I want it to be on at. However, it is pretty far off (like 7 to 9 inches roughly). But that is part of what I like about the chambers plate. The rear can be changed out, and the front uses standard height sites, so its pretty easy to get to POA/POI. Also, like you said to be fair, I am pretty sure it wasn't done right and that is part of the risk you take in having these kind of installs done. It is also part of why Joe only allows certain gunsmiths to install his plates.

It sounds like who ever did your initial Trijicon plate install may have done something wrong. The BUIS on my Springfield Operator with factory installed Trijicon plate shoot POA/POI at 7 and 15 yards (furthest I've shot them). In fairness on the P&S Modcast 1911 episode, Two World Wars !, Chambers mentioned on of the downsides of the Trijicon plate is that it is difficult to install properly.

HCM
03-09-2021, 07:01 PM
I don't care it if is POA/POI at 7, 10 or 15. Close enough is ok, its 25 yards that I want it to be on at. However, it is pretty far off (like 7 to 9 inches roughly). But that is part of what I like about the chambers plate. The rear can be changed out, and the front uses standard height sites, so its pretty easy to get to POA/POI. Also, like you said to be fair, I am pretty sure it wasn't done right and that is part of the risk you take in having these kind of installs done. It is also part of why Joe only allows certain gunsmiths to install his plates.

I never bothered shooting the BUIS at 25 because back up sights on an optic guns are like a doughnut spare tire.

One thing to keep in mind is that like carbine BUIS, POI may vary when they are shot through an optic vs without.

rathos
03-10-2021, 09:18 PM
Fair enough, but with multiple glocks and a staccato that have rear sights that can be removed and/or replaced I have a lot of guns that shoot where they are supposed to with the iron sights even though the red dots with RMRs, holosuns and a delta point.

I have to have back up sights on the gun due to policy so I want them to hit where I want them to.

I never bothered shooting the BUIS at 25 because back up sights on an optic guns are like a doughnut spare tire.

One thing to keep in mind is that like carbine BUIS, POI may vary when they are shot through an optic vs without.

DaBigBR
03-10-2021, 09:57 PM
I've got two 2011s with the Chambers RDSM and I like it. Although there's some stuff out there claiming you won't need a taller front sight, that was not my experience. Not a big deal, though.

rathos
03-10-2021, 10:59 PM
Good to know. I appreciate the feedback!

I've got two 2011s with the Chambers RDSM and I like it. Although there's some stuff out there claiming you won't need a taller front sight, that was not my experience. Not a big deal, though.

Tokarev
08-07-2022, 04:29 PM
rathos

Any updates or newer feedback?

rathos
08-07-2022, 05:23 PM
The chambers plate has been solid. I don’t shoot the ruger as much as I prefer my staccatos but I am up to about 1k through it so far and no issues. My department went to 147 grain G2 right before I retired so I swapped to that for daily carry and the poa/poi changed and I haven’t swapped out sights. I also found out through a new video chambers put out they they used to instal the plates with green loctite so I am pretty sure the plate isn’t going anywhere.

I would still say it’s my preferred optic plate but it would be nice to have other sight system options.

rathos

Any updates or newer feedback?

Tokarev
08-07-2022, 06:05 PM
it would be nice to have other sight system options.

That's what has me leaning towards the DPO from dscgunworks.com

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

rathos
08-08-2022, 12:29 AM
If chambers came out with the 509T plate (not sure if he has yet) I would be happy. I almost feel like I wasted money on the Acro P2 and even with the new DPO plate it still seems a little askew. The 509T on my Staccato P has been pretty flawless. If I wasn't carrying the gun in a uniformed/open carry in the PNW I wouldn't even worry about the closed emitter optics.

That's what has me leaning towards the DPO from dscgunworks.com

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Caballoflaco
08-08-2022, 05:34 AM
If chambers came out with the 509T plate (not sure if he has yet) I would be happy. I almost feel like I wasted money on the Acro P2 and even with the new DPO plate it still seems a little askew. The 509T on my Staccato P has been pretty flawless. If I wasn't carrying the gun in a uniformed/open carry in the PNW I wouldn't even worry about the closed emitter optics.

He came out with them last week....and they sold out already. Hopefully the next batch of plates doesn’t take like 5 months.

David S.
08-08-2022, 11:36 AM
I understand he’s working on a ACRO plate too