PDA

View Full Version : Another 3" M10 Thread

revchuck38
03-08-2021, 07:34 PM
It started here:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?46353-Karl-Sokol-3-quot-M10&p=1190846&viewfull=1#post1190846

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?46353-Karl-Sokol-3-quot-M10&p=1190878&viewfull=1#post1190878

That was last Monday morning. As the excitement wore off, I started second-guessing myself...it was pretty rough-looking in the pictures when you embiggened them. Had I just dumped a bunch of money on something that was too far gone to use? Too late now, I'd have to wait until it showed up. I looked up J&G's website to ensure they still had more frames, just in case.

I got the call today that the gun had come in and went to my LGS to do the paperwork and pick it up. Hmmm, didn't look too bad though there was a good bit of pitting here and there. The cylinder had the gnarliest spot:

I got it home and cleaned it. My biggest fear was unfounded - the bore and chambers are pristine. There might be .001" of fore-and-aft movement of the cylinder. The DA trigger stroke is smooth, even when the cylinder stop hits the rough spot. The exterior was mistreated, but the insides looked good.

I loaded up some ammo and went to the range. I shot 50 rounds of my practice load (158-grain RNL over four grains of Solo 1000), plus six rounds each of R-P LSWC-HP, R-P Golden Saber, and another handload of 158-grain Berry's plated RN over 4.5 grains of Bullseye. POI = POA for the 158s, and surprisingly the 125-grain Golden Saber was close enough to be useable. Using my practice load, I went through three iterations of the Five-Yard Roundup, scoring 90, 93-2x, and 94-2x. Function was perfect.

I had my chronograph with me to chrono some .45 ACP loads through my 22-4, so I checked a couple of the above loads. My practice load averaged 822 fps/SD 8 and the R-P LSWC-HP averaged 855 fps/SD 4, both for six rounds. Going from memory, that's about 25 fps slower than my 4" M10-8, which is about what you'd expect. I shot all the lead bullet ammo first, and there was zero leading in the barrel after 56 rounds.

I'll take it apart and get off as much rust as I can, then probably put it back together and use it as is. It's never going to be pretty again, but it runs fine. I like the way the 3" barrel handles and points. I might replace the Spegel boot plus grips with the Uncle Mike's version since I have a set. Right now this is how it looks:

Totem Polar
03-08-2021, 08:37 PM
Folks, this is how you get a stone-reliable wheelie that you don’t mind dropping in the gravel during an ECQC *evolution.

I say DAO that thing, put a really cool set of square boot grips on it (uncle mikes if you have them, or some VZs or something) and run it like you stole it from a democratic party governor.

:cool:

*fancy-ass name for “a 3-minute ass-kicking that you not only asked for, but you paid for...”

revchuck38
03-08-2021, 08:54 PM
I just put the Uncle Mike's boot grips on it, they do look more appropriate. I just need to get a really abrasive holster for it so it gets some more "character". :)

Totem Polar
03-08-2021, 08:57 PM
I just put the Uncle Mike's boot grips on it, they do look more appropriate. I just need to get a really abrasive holster for it so it gets some more "character". :)

F it: just run kydex. I mean, what are you worried about—kydex scratching the finish?

:D

:D :D

NPV
03-08-2021, 09:06 PM

Unlined leather with some accumulated dirt and sand will get you there

03RN
03-08-2021, 09:19 PM
I like it

Lex Luthier
03-08-2021, 09:46 PM
Congrats, Chuck! it's a character piece, now.

revchuck38
03-09-2021, 05:30 AM
F it: just run kydex. I mean, what are you worried about—kydex scratching the finish?

:D

:D :D

Just ordered a JMCK IWB 3 for it.

Hambo
03-09-2021, 05:44 AM
Folks, this is how you get a stone-reliable wheelie that you don’t mind dropping in the gravel during an ECQC *evolution.

For real world application, you don't have to be in a hurry to wipe the blood off after you crack somebody in the mouth or nose with it. ;)

Dave T
03-09-2021, 12:05 PM
For real world application, you don't have to be in a hurry to wipe the blood off after you crack somebody in the mouth or nose with it. ;)

ROTFLMAO! During my LEO days when I was carrying a revolver (probationary period with a M28-2) I sure thought about doing that a couple times. I never did as I wanted to got through probation but there were a couple mouthy (expletives deleted) who tempted me mightily. (smile)

Dave

Stephanie B
03-09-2021, 12:43 PM

Shades of the Hebrew Hammer...

(paging Dagga Boy )

revchuck38
03-09-2021, 12:54 PM
Shades of the Hebrew Hammer...

(paging Dagga Boy )

I don't think those are teeth marks on the trigger guard...

Stephanie B
03-10-2021, 11:48 AM
There's a 66-8 on GB with 9 hours to go: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/894242162

revchuck38
03-11-2021, 07:12 PM
I cleaned it up with 0000 steel wool and oil and got most of the rust off, then hit it with cold blue. The gnarly spot on the cylinder is still gnarly, but less so. It's still not pretty but looks better. I also took off the wood Spegel grips and installed my last set of Uncle Mike's rubber ones, and it does look more in character. I replaced the thumb latch with the modern style and painted the front sight red. I still need to take off the side plate and clean the insides. Here's what it looks like so far: 68706

Polecat
03-11-2021, 07:31 PM
That is sweet, regret getting rid of mine!! Really wish Smith would offer up the K in similar permutations as they have done with the little J’s. Like, 2.5” titanium, snubby like the N frame 327, etc. all aluminum K frame, with 2.5” dream gun!

camsdaddy
03-11-2021, 08:08 PM
I cleaned it up with 0000 steel wool and oil and got most of the rust off, then hit it with cold blue. The gnarly spot on the cylinder is still gnarly, but less so. It's still not pretty but looks better. I also took off the wood Spegel grips and installed my last set of Uncle Mike's rubber ones, and it does look more in character. I replaced the thumb latch with the modern style and painted the front sight red. I still need to take off the side plate and clean the insides. Here's what it looks like so far: 68706

This picture makes me wish that my 3" 65 could take my square butt uncle mikes.

03RN
03-11-2021, 08:46 PM
This picture makes me wish that my 3" 65 could take my square butt uncle mikes.

Have you tried?

Borderland
03-11-2021, 08:57 PM

I say DAO that thing, put a really cool set of square boot grips on it (uncle mikes if you have them, or some VZs or something) and run it like you stole it from a democratic party governor.

:cool:

*fancy-ass name for “a 3-minute ass-kicking that you not only asked for, but you paid for...”

Or loosing it as evidence in a SD shooting. My limit is $600 there. Nothing I carry is worth any more than that. Beat up revolvers are as cheap as a good blade and have a 7 yard range. ;)

camsdaddy
03-11-2021, 08:58 PM
Have you tried?

I have not. I jumped up to try it to remember my square butt uncle Mike’s are in my coffee can of grips that is in storage. I’ll be glad when we complete our move and all of my toys are in one place

Hambo
03-12-2021, 06:30 AM

Looks great! Are you going to bob the hammer?

revchuck38
03-12-2021, 06:51 AM
Looks great! Are you going to bob the hammer?

That's the plan. I'm trying to find someone local who can convert it to DAO and bob the hammer. Most of the local guys think that handguns started with Glocks. :(

BN
03-12-2021, 07:27 AM
That's the plan. I'm trying to find someone local who can convert it to DAO and bob the hammer. Most of the local guys think that handguns started with Glocks. :(

Dremel. ;)

revchuck38
03-12-2021, 07:36 AM
Dremel. ;)

Uh-uh. That puts me squarely in "A man's got to know his limitations" territory.

Hambo
03-12-2021, 07:39 AM
Most of the local guys think that handguns started with Glocks. :(

Oy. :rolleyes: A patient man could do a decent job starting with a Dremel and finish with files/stones. An impatient man like me would forget the DAO and just bob the hammer.

MDFA
03-12-2021, 07:53 AM
Unlined leather with some accumulated dirt and sand will get you there

I'll send you some Florida "Sugar Sand" to toss inside the holster. That will take care of the rest of the finish...

Dave T
03-12-2021, 10:15 AM
Oy. :rolleyes: A patient man could do a decent job starting with a Dremel and finish with files/stones. An impatient man like me would forget the DAO and just bob the hammer.

DITTO to this. I'm not all that patient either, and like Chuck I know my limits.

Better yet, if I was going to carry the gun for serious I would consider one of the Apex Tactical DAO hammers. The one I have in my 386 NG dropped in and immediately improved the trigger stroke...no patience required except taking the side plate screws out carefully.

Dave

revchuck38
03-12-2021, 10:24 AM
DITTO to this. I'm not all that patient either, and like Chuck I know my limits.

Better yet, if I was going to carry the gun for serious I would consider one of the Apex Tactical DAO hammers. The one I have in my 386 NG dropped in and immediately improved the trigger stroke...no patience required except taking the side plate screws out carefully.

Dave

Dave - This gun's too old for that, looks like a '79 production date by the serial number. It's got a hammer-mounted firing pin.

Dave T
03-12-2021, 11:43 AM
Dave - This gun's too old for that, looks like a '79 production date by the serial number. It's got a hammer-mounted firing pin.

Ya know, I should have seen that. My bad, as the younger folks used to say! Guess we're back to Hambo's 'forget the DAO and bob the hammer' idea.

Dave

Stephanie B
03-12-2021, 01:01 PM
Ya know, I should have seen that. My bad, as the younger folks used to say! Guess we're back to Hambo's 'forget the DAO and bob the hammer' idea.

Dave

I have two like that. They work fine.

revchuck38
03-12-2021, 06:08 PM
Not without some trepidation, since it's been about ten years since the last time I've done it, I took off the side plate and cleaned the inside. It really wasn't too bad. The worst part was the rebound slide, which is pretty freckled. I put it back together and did a function check and it still works. :)

I'm doing a HiTS class Sunday and will use it to vet this revolver. Assuming it works, it may well become my "travel gun" due to its size. On the way home from the class I'll stop somewhere and pick up some 600 wet/dry sandpaper and when I get home I'll deal with that rebound slide.

Stephanie B
03-13-2021, 08:18 AM
There's a 3" M64 up on GB (https://www.gunbroker.com/item/894612355), at $500 with two days to go.

revchuck38
03-13-2021, 08:31 AM
There's a 3" M64 up on GB (https://www.gunbroker.com/item/894612355), at $500 with two days to go.

That's a nice one. The barrel is the same profile as on my M10 rather than a heavy barrel.

Dave T
03-13-2021, 12:21 PM
Chuck, that looks like the standard HB profile to me. I'm not at all sure what you mean by "rather than a heavy barrel". And inquiring minds want to know. (smile)

Dave

revchuck38
03-13-2021, 06:12 PM
Dave - On second look, I think you’re right. That was a quick glance right before I headed to Dallas.

k_dub
03-15-2021, 09:58 PM
Not without some trepidation, since it's been about ten years since the last time I've done it, I took off the side plate and cleaned the inside. It really wasn't too bad. The worst part was the rebound slide, which is pretty freckled. I put it back together and did a function check and it still works. :)

I'm doing a HiTS class Sunday and will use it to vet this revolver. Assuming it works, it may well become my "travel gun" due to its size. On the way home from the class I'll stop somewhere and pick up some 600 wet/dry sandpaper and when I get home I'll deal with that rebound slide.

I was at the class yesterday in the same squad as you and it was cool to watch you run that M10 like a champ. From what I saw, your project is coming along nicely.

Great to meet you and thanks for the tip on painting the front sight on my own M10.

revchuck38
03-18-2021, 07:39 PM
I decided to break down and get the gun refinished. SeriousStudent referred me to a guy near me who does that kind of work. I'm going to have it parkerized rather than blued so it'll resist rust better. It'll be about three weeks before I get it back, just in time for the Givens Defensive Revolver course at KR Training. My IWB 3 from JMCK for it should be here by then too. :)

SeriousStudent
03-19-2021, 12:51 PM
I decided to break down and get the gun refinished. @SeriousStudent (https://pistol-forum.com/member.php?u=3020) referred me to a guy near me who does that kind of work. I'm going to have it parkerized rather than blued so it'll resist rust better. It'll be about three weeks before I get it back, just in time for the Givens Defensive Revolver course at KR Training. My IWB 3 from JMCK for it should be here by then too. :)

I am looking forward to shooting that pistol! :)

revchuck38
03-24-2021, 09:57 PM
The gunsmith called and told me the gun is ready, so I'll drive out there tomorrow and pick it up. The holster for it should be here tomorrow or Friday. I keep targets in the truck and I'll throw the gun bag with some ammo in there too so I can stop at the range on the way back. Gotta get that turn ring started again. :)

03RN
12-04-2021, 09:28 PM
The gunsmith called and told me the gun is ready, so I'll drive out there tomorrow and pick it up. The holster for it should be here tomorrow or Friday. I keep targets in the truck and I'll throw the gun bag with some ammo in there too so I can stop at the range on the way back. Gotta get that turn ring started again. :)

Let's see it now and hear how you like it.