PDA

View Full Version : Might be in the market for a new gun, looking for opinions.

Bio
03-04-2021, 03:38 PM
I'm might soon be in the market to expand my collection from one gun two two. I currently have a Glock 34, which I've been learning to shoot with the past year. I'm looking for opinions on which firearm should be next in line. I understand supply limitations are a thing, so the advice I'm asking for assumes supply is available, even if that doesn't turn out to be true.

Options:
Glock 19: I can carry the G34 AIWB, but it's not small, and induces wardrobe limitations. A 19 would I have a shorter grip and be a bit lighter.

LCR 9mm: This would be a pistol that is significantly smaller than the G34. It would be a significant change in how a gun could be carried, instead of simply slightly more convenient (19 vs 34). 9mm keeps ammo the same.

Shotgun, probably Mossberg 500/590 of some type, but maybe I'd just follow the experts advice and get the Beretta 1301. This option is under consideration because I'd like to learn how to use a shotgun in addition to a handgun.

Thanks for any advice.

Joe in PNG
03-04-2021, 04:04 PM
Glock 19, set up like your 34.

Elwin
03-04-2021, 04:11 PM
Glock 19, set up like your 34.

This, except for one potential caveat, at least in my view. If the 19 will allow you to carry a gun in all the situations where you can and want to carry, get it. If an LCR or other small gun would allow you to carry in situations where you would want to but couldn't do so with a 34 OR with a 19, I'd personally get the small gun. We all like to forget about this (I'm the most guilty) because they aren't necessarily exciting or fun to shoot, but for those of us who carry regularly, our smallest carry gun is probably the most important gun we own. Whatever its limitations, it's what allows us to carry 100% of the times that we would want to do so.

Basically, I'd rather have the 34 and LCR and carry 100% of the time, regardless of how that time is split between the two, than have the 34 and 19 and carry 99% of the time.

NoTacTravis
03-04-2021, 04:12 PM
I've got a 19/34 combo. If I were to do it over I would go 48/34 instead. YMMV though.

dontshakepandas
03-04-2021, 04:13 PM
I'd go Glock 19 so you'll have familiarity, be able to carry easier while still having a fighting gun.

If two new guns is an option, then I'd go with a Glock 19 and either a 1301 or a quality AR15. Unfortunately, it is a bad time to buy since everyone is panic buying, but the reality is the ability to buy any of these could be gone in the near future so if you think you may want something in the future, go ahead and get it now.

MickAK
03-04-2021, 04:15 PM
G19 or G45. A shotgun sounds nice but you're more likely to need a pistol unless you have credible threats towards your house. Having a copy of your carry/defense gun is ideal for a lot of reasons.

Clusterfrack
03-04-2021, 04:17 PM
If I had to choose from your list, I’d go G19 and LCR 9, for the most versatile carry options.

OlongJohnson
03-04-2021, 05:01 PM
I've got a 19/34 combo. If I were to do it over I would go 48/34 instead. YMMV though.

My first thought was 48 as well. I struggle with the Glock grip angle, because it's different than all my other pistols. Sig, H&K and Beretta are all close enough that they index the same, where I chase the front sight on Glocks of any size. But since you're tuned in to Glock, stick with Glock. G48 and the 15-rd aftermarket mags would be almost the same as a 19, but smaller and easier to carry concealed.

rd62
03-04-2021, 05:13 PM
I'd go G19. Mag commonality, same manual of arms, same sights, some commonality of holsters. I think there is a lot of win there but I am biased as I run a G17/G19/G26 combo. LCR is nice but very different manual of arms, totally different reload process, holsters are different, etc. I have a j frame but it serves a niche roll for me and the G19 would cover a larger set of circumstances.

You then mention a long arm. What is the role of the new weapon? If its to concealed carry a shotty or AR won't have much use. If its home defense or something that chnages things.

Nocturnalis Discipulo
03-04-2021, 05:17 PM
How often do you find yourself just barely able to conceal/not conceal the 34?

I would strongly recommend a semi if you are adding a shotgun. Someone with experience or ongoing practice(sporting clays, 3 gun, hunting) can do great work with a pump. The vast majority of shotgun malfunctions I have seen are due to inadequately cycling actions manually.

Eta:Shotgun

RevolverRob
03-04-2021, 07:25 PM
Pistol Thoughts:

Are you a GSSF Member? GSSF Members get Blue Label Coupons for Glocks. It makes supply much easier.

If not, get a 2-year membership ($60) and when you first coupon arrives (in about 30-60 days) buy a Glock 43 or 48.

When your second coupon arrives (in a year) buy a G19.

That solves the pistol problem. Personally, I'd go G43 over G48 if my plan was to go G19 in the long-term, because the slightly smaller 43 will be able to be concealed in virtually every situation the LCR would be able.

___

Long Gun Thoughts:

AR15 - AR15 - AR15 - AR15 - AR15.

Hey did I mention buying an AR15. I would buy one ASAP and prioritizes it over a pistol.

JCN
03-04-2021, 07:40 PM
G43x MOS

Out of the small Glocks it’s one of the best from a shootability and conceal-ability balance / trade off.

Pair it with a Shield Arms S15 magazine and you have 15 on tap and ability to put a dot on it.

G43 with Magguts +2 is pretty sweet too.

Bio
03-04-2021, 07:43 PM
I'd go G19. Mag commonality, same manual of arms, same sights, some commonality of holsters. I think there is a lot of win there but I am biased as I run a G17/G19/G26 combo. LCR is nice but very different manual of arms, totally different reload process, holsters are different, etc. I have a j frame but it serves a niche roll for me and the G19 would cover a larger set of circumstances.

You then mention a long arm. What is the role of the new weapon? If its to concealed carry a shotty or AR won't have much use. If its home defense or something that chnages things.

Good question. Part of this discussion is me trying to figure out which roles I need to cover next, honestly. The guns listed are the ones that seem to fit the roles based in my own very limited experience, reading, and general acclaim of this forum. I'd say the main role of the shotgun is a combination of home defense and self education. The LCR would be a combination of self-education and a more easily concealed option for carry. I'm not sure the g19 would be used dramatically differently than the g34, so it would be less about education and more about being more practical to carry.

How often do you find yourself just barely able to conceal/not conceal the 34?

I would strongly recommend a semi if you are adding a shotgun. Someone with experience or ongoing practice(sporting clays, 3 gun, hunting) can do great work with a pump. The vast majority of shotgun malfunctions I have seen are due to inadequately cycling actions manually.

Eta:Shotgun

Honestly, I don't yet carry anything. I'm still learning a lot, and pretty much the only place I've been going during the pandemic is work, which does not allow carrying weapons. All of my experience with carrying has been in my basement as I try different positions and modifications to see what fits.

OfficeCat
03-04-2021, 07:52 PM
... for those of us who carry regularly, our smallest carry gun is probably the most important gun we own. Whatever its limitations, it's what allows us to carry 100% of the times that we would want to do so.

Good point. For me it's a Walther PPS M2. I can conceal my (Glock 19 sized) P99 almost as well, but the PPS is just so flat that I can just about forget I'm even wearing it, and to be honest sometimes that makes the difference as to whether I'm carrying at all. So to echo others' suggestions, I'd be looking at a 43, 48 or 48x.

Blades
03-04-2021, 08:02 PM
Have you played around with the Handgun Hero (https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/ruger-lcr-vs-glock-g26-gen5) website to compare handguns?

I'm going to toss the G26 into the mix. :)

Bio
03-04-2021, 08:25 PM
Have you played around with the Handgun Hero (https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/ruger-lcr-vs-glock-g26-gen5) website to compare handguns?

I have. G26 and G48, in my head, at least, share a bit of space with a G19, in that they're semiautomatic handguns big enough to have decent capacity and be pretty shootable, with geometric variations between them to serve different niches. Maybe I'm oversimplified. I'm not wedded to any single gun, certainly.

RevolverRob
03-04-2021, 08:36 PM
Good question. Part of this discussion is me trying to figure out which roles I need to cover next, honestly. The guns listed are the ones that seem to fit the roles based in my own very limited experience, reading, and general acclaim of this forum. I'd say the main role of the shotgun is a combination of home defense and self education. The LCR would be a combination of self-education and a more easily concealed option for carry. I'm not sure the g19 would be used dramatically differently than the g34, so it would be less about education and more about being more practical to carry.

Honestly, I don't yet carry anything. I'm still learning a lot, and pretty much the only place I've been going during the pandemic is work, which does not allow carrying weapons. All of my experience with carrying has been in my basement as I try different positions and modifications to see what fits.

It's okay to not be sure yet.

Let's set aside which gun and focus for a minute on the mission. The late Pat Roger's always said, "Mission drives the gear train." I often think of it as, "The hypothesis we're trying to test informs the methods." To speak a lingo you're familiar with.

So let's back up a second:

What prompted you to purchase a handgun and acquire your concealed carry license?

What do you see as your largest concerns regarding firearms usage?

What do you see as your overall goal(s) with shooting?

Bear in mind you do not need to be able to answer all of these questions right now. Also, these are questions that you'll probably ask yourself over and over again as you learn and re-evaluate. So the answers today are unlikely to be the answers in 6 or 12 months. Almost certainly the answers won't be the same in 6 or 12 years.

Joe in PNG
03-04-2021, 08:36 PM
Personally, I've found that the right belt and holster has made it possible to tote a bigger gun than expected- it's just as easy to carry a 1911 in my belt as it is a Shield in my pocket when wearing shorts & a tshirt.
I've found that a Glock 19 can conceal about as well, and really is a good 'all around' size.

Nephrology
03-04-2021, 09:04 PM

Me too.

I have. G26 and G48, in my head, at least, share a bit of space with a G19, in that they're semiautomatic handguns big enough to have decent capacity and be pretty shootable, with geometric variations between them to serve different niches. Maybe I'm oversimplified. I'm not wedded to any single gun, certainly.

The G26 shoots and carries much more like a G19. The 48 shoots and carries much more like a G43.

I like the G26 more FWIW. +2 OEM baseplates make it into a little bobtailed G19. It's a great pair with a G34, IMO.

Duelist
03-04-2021, 09:20 PM
A Jframe (642, in my case) is a super important gun in my arsenal. I could mostly replace it with a G42, and I have a pair of them because my wife will actually shoot and sometimes carry one. If I go to the gym or running, the 642 or G42 is usually the companion. These are guns I can carry 100% of the time, unless I’m going swimming, an open locker room, or through metal detectors. As stated above, this makes them possibly the most important guns I own. Most attire will allow discreet concealed carry.

Next most important is the G26. It’s about 85-90% of the time possible/workable outside of work time. I would not try to carry it at work unless I had official permission to carry (I don’t carry anything anyway due to legal consequences, but know I could get away with the G42, anyway). The G26 is big enough and has enough capacity to be a serious tool, but is small enough to conceal most of the time without dressing in a gun burqua.

My 19x is the long shooting day/trainer/gun games/hiking and don’t care who sees it/nightstand/casual level of concealment tool. But I usually don’t carry it, and if I had to, I could get away with just using a G26 all of the time for all of those roles, and have. But the 19x is more fun to shoot.

My G44 and M18 S&W revolver get more range time than anything other handguns right now because they’re cheap to feed.

I have shotguns for hunting birds and clays. They usually get shot a lot over the course of a year, but aren’t really a big part of my defense arsenal. Wouldn’t hate having to rely on one for that, but I’d rather have my AR. I find shotguns more challenging and more fun to shoot than an AR, but would prefer the AR for serious social use.

A smaller handgun would be my priority over a long gun were I in your shoes at this moment in time. I would make the 100% gun the first on the acquisition list. And you’re likely going to pay a premium right now, no matter what you go for.

Caballoflaco
03-04-2021, 09:48 PM
One thing to consider is that with a g19 or 26 you won’t have to immediately purchase any additional support gear. All of your magazines and mag pouches will work for the smaller gun and your holster should work as well, even if it isn’t ideal for your mode of carry.

Bio
03-04-2021, 11:32 PM
It's okay to not be sure yet.

Let's set aside which gun and focus for a minute on the mission. The late Pat Roger's always said, "Mission drives the gear train." I often think of it as, "The hypothesis we're trying to test informs the methods." To speak a lingo you're familiar with.

So let's back up a second:

What prompted you to purchase a handgun and acquire your concealed carry license?

I am, like so many, probably lumped into the group of Covid panic buyers. I don't think of myself that way, but it's probably a fair assessment. Getting a gun and some training on how to use it has been on my list of things to do for quite some time (my immediate family has no tradition with firearms). Covid, or more specifically, the actions I saw my fellow man taking in a world where Covid was a concern made that particular item on a list get seriously bumped up in priority. Basically, I want to be able to use a gun if the situation requires, and I'd rather not learn on the fly.

What do you see as your largest concerns regarding firearms usage?

Competence to use it safely and effectively should the need arise.

What do you see as your overall goal(s) with shooting?

To be able go protect people important to me.

Bear in mind you do not need to be able to answer all of these questions right now. Also, these are questions that you'll probably ask yourself over and over again as you learn and re-evaluate. So the answers today are unlikely to be the answers in 6 or 12 months. Almost certainly the answers won't be the same in 6 or 12 years.

0ddl0t
03-04-2021, 11:38 PM
In that case I'd vote shotgun or semi auto carbine.

JAD
03-05-2021, 12:40 AM
For me carrying, which had to be very surreptitious for a very long time, built upon itself. The more often I carried, the more uncomfortable I was when not carrying.

I would choose a next gun to balance self-inducement into more frequent carry with avoidance of a fallaciously small gun. .38s and .380s are back up guns, and in that role they’re awesome, but I at least find myself putting on a given shirt or whatever, shrugging, and tossing on the J frame as primary.

I have recently decided my G43 is not shootable enough to be a primary.

I can carry a G17 or GM in comfort much of the time but for me the smallest gun I shoot to my highest degree of competency is the Lightweight Commander // CCO. Obviously you should get one of those, but barring that it looks like the G19 or G48 might be a great choice.

RevolverRob
03-05-2021, 01:34 AM
I concur with the general idea that no one should be without two different sized handguns. And by that I mean one "belt" gun and something else that can be pocket carried.

Here is the aforementioned GSSF program for buying Glocks - http://www.gssfonline.com/GSSF_Pistol_Purchase_Program_Information.pdf - If one owns a G34, the next logical weapon is the G26 or G43. Followed by a 19 at a later time. The 34/26 or 34/43 combo will solve most carry "problems".

In regards to your stated goals. A gun you're going to carry regularly trumps anything else.

That said, after I sorted out my CC pistols, I'd really want to get a long gun. Shotguns are great the Beretta 1301 is the correct choice. The other choice is the AR15. Both end up costing roughly the same once kitted up.

RJ
03-05-2021, 08:39 AM
I'm might soon be in the market to expand my collection from one gun two two. I currently have a Glock 34, which I've been learning to shoot with the past year. I'm looking for opinions on which firearm should be next in line. I understand supply limitations are a thing, so the advice I'm asking for assumes supply is available, even if that doesn't turn out to be true.

Options:
Glock 19: I can carry the G34 AIWB, but it's not small, and induces wardrobe limitations. A 19 would I have a shorter grip and be a bit lighter.

LCR 9mm: This would be a pistol that is significantly smaller than the G34. It would be a significant change in how a gun could be carried, instead of simply slightly more convenient (19 vs 34). 9mm keeps ammo the same.

Shotgun, probably Mossberg 500/590 of some type, but maybe I'd just follow the experts advice and get the Beretta 1301. This option is under consideration because I'd like to learn how to use a shotgun in addition to a handgun.

Thanks for any advice.

What do these guns do that the G34 doesn’t? What do you need to do that you can’t do with the G34? Answering those kinds of questions honestly will help determine what you are trying to achieve.

On the other hand, you don’t need a reason to buy a new gun, because buying a new gun is fun! Is there a dot in your future? Might want to ponder options to allow you to do that, perhaps. Obviously if you can actually shoot them first, it really helps.

I’ve owned a Glock 34, a 19, a 26, a 43X and a 48. I sold the 19, 26 and 43X and kept the 34 (USPSA) and the 48 (EDC). The 48 is on me as an type this in a DSG AIWB holster. It’s perfect, for me. Lightweight and slim, like what I understand a 1911 is. Guys who talk about a 1911 Commander as the perfect AIWB gun aren’t far wrong. It’s fairly close from what I can tell.

So I would suggest a 48, but I’m kinda biased. :cool:

nalesq
03-05-2021, 08:53 AM
If the goal is to eventually live an armed lifestyle (i.e., to be armed wherever and whenever you are legally allowed, especially when you leave the house), then having a weapon you can comfortably and discreetly conceal 100% of the time is necessary. And if you live somewhere where it’s hot and you want to be able to wear properly fitting clothing (versus a muumuu-like top), then a Glock 19 is not going to work well. You’ll need something a lot smaller, like the single stack pistols or j-frame sized revolvers recommended by others.

For me, pocket carry is an important niche that small semi autos don’t fulfill as well as small spurless revolvers, especially with pockets that have vertical openings. So if I already had some kind of 9mm pistol, my second handgun would be a small revolver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Glenn E. Meyer
03-05-2021, 09:31 AM
This is only based on my old body. I carry OWB as it negates having to worry about pants sizes. Having a floppy shirt or jacket life style, I found the G26 fit the bill with enough rounds for a reasonable number of opponent, time in the fight calculation with an extra mag. Since I shot a 19 and now 17 for years in classes and matches, I know the gun style well. I did take a class with the 26 and the instructor wasn't happy, you need a bigger gun but I shot as well as all the other newbies at the time. I shot the 43 and it was Meh to me.

Pocket - bought a first wave G42 and it was a horror and needed to go back. I still don't trust it that much. It doesn't drop an empty on mag release, you have to drag it out. Do I want to play with it - it might become a 43 if things loosen up. Thus, the J frame pocket gun - note as I've said ad nauseum, I've spend significant time shooting Js. One of my last IDPA matches, I shot two different Js.

About the long gun, having taken Givens and Moses shotgun classes and shooting matches with my Winchester 1300 (works fine), I'm a carbine guy for home SD. The shotgun will suffice if the local bear comes in the back door (a rare occurrence and not a real worry).

That's my two cents. I think about an optic on a new Glock - I don't know. Shooting here has to free up before more experimentation.

Navin Johnson
03-05-2021, 09:47 AM
Seems like a lot of good advise......

Not trying to derail but the 15 round mags for 48/43x have been recommended several times. Last I read here they were still problematic.?

Leroy
03-05-2021, 11:10 AM
Once I started carrying and shooting a G26 my 19s have not left the safe. When I really want to just shoot it's a G34.

If I had to have just 2 Glocks, it would be 26 and 34. A 17 is almost as good as a 34.

My experience is that the 26 just shoots extremly well for a gun of that size. Throw a pinky extension on and it's even better. My performance is improved with a 19 but the 26 conceals much easier for me and I don't need to dress around it.

vcdgrips
03-05-2021, 01:24 PM
I own a G19 and 34/35.

If i was in the market hardcore- I would pick the 48 given it gives you a fair bit of familiarity and will carry easier than the 19 in those 15% max times when concealment is really driving the train.

Bio
03-05-2021, 02:16 PM
So it looks like there's a lot of advice pointing toward a 26 or 48. I'm guessing deciding between those two is a matter of which one I shoot better and which one fits my body better for carry, with minor bonus points going to the 26 for having magazine commonality. Are there any other objective differences I should take into account?

Seems like barrel length has a pretty small effect on 9mm velocity from what I've read, but that could be small mark in favor of the 48?

Looks like holsters and lights should be pretty available for either of them.

vcdgrips
03-05-2021, 03:06 PM
My gut with less than 200 rds thru a g26 and 50 rds thru a G48.

Pros re G 26- Maximum equipment/parts commonality re the G34 you already have
Perhaps softer recoiling than the G 48 (subjective and limited frame of reference)
Longer track record re reliability/features/bugs/etc.

Pros re G 48- Will conceal better for most, most of the time.
Longer grip will likely make it "feel" better in the hand than a box stock G 26 (much less of an issue with +2 or G19 mag.)
Excellent aftermarket support re sights/holsters/mag pouches etc.

For me, the slimmer 48 means more to me in increased concealment capability.

TGS
03-05-2021, 04:29 PM
Bio logging on to Pistol-Forum.com:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIalODmFrZk

pooty
03-05-2021, 04:30 PM
i think it would help if you post in the thread about what kind of threads you wear in day to day life and your waist size.

big diff in what i ccw'd, from when i was 155 lbs vs 210 lbs, and when i lived in flipflops vs when i had to wear a suit everyday. and i ccw'd all the guns in op.

also id skip the shotgun and buy a quality 11.5" ar15 w a red dot + flashlight, AR alot easier to use, for kids and gals too, defending your household, and community. smaller when you transport them too.

edit the g26 is going to be easier to hide than the 19/48 length guns strong side, its the length of the grip that will get you made, sometimes you wont even know it until you hear someone gasp

Bio
03-05-2021, 06:00 PM
i think it would help if you post in the thread about what kind of threads you wear in day to day life and your waist size.

big diff in what i ccw'd, from when i was 155 lbs vs 210 lbs, and when i lived in flipflops vs when i had to wear a suit everyday. and i ccw'd all the guns in op.

also id skip the shotgun and buy a quality 11.5" ar15 w a red dot + flashlight, AR alot easier to use, for kids and gals too, defending your household, and community. smaller when you transport them too.

edit the g26 is going to be easier to hide than the 19/48 length guns strong side, its the length of the grip that will get you made, sometimes you wont even know it until you hear someone gasp

6' 230lbs. Some fat, some muscle. Pretty wide and tall torso and thick legs. Normal attire is jeans, khakis, polo shirts, Oxford shirts, t-shirts, waffle knit long sleeve shirts. In general, nothing super stylish, but I try to look put together with clothes that fit and aren't especially baggy.

Stephanie B
03-05-2021, 06:08 PM
Long Gun Thoughts:

AR15 - AR15 - AR15 - AR15 - AR15.

Hey did I mention buying an AR15. I would buy one ASAP and prioritizes it over a pistol.

Fine, if you live in a place where they're legal.

RevolverRob
03-05-2021, 06:57 PM
Fine, if you live in a place where they're legal.

Fair. The fact that they aren't legal in some states should drive home the point that they probably should be acquired sooner than later, if legal in your locale.

If not legal - well we know shotguns, lever guns, M1 Carbines, "complaint" ARs, Mini 14s, and even bolt guns can and will all work.

Stephanie B
03-05-2021, 07:45 PM
Fair. The fact that they aren't legal in some states should drive home the point that they probably should be acquired sooner than later, if legal in your locale.

If not legal - well we know shotguns, lever guns, M1 Carbines, "complaint" ARs, Mini 14s, and even bolt guns can and will all work.

Add to that: SKSs.

pooty
03-05-2021, 08:16 PM
join the gssf like right now, as rob advised it will pay for itself. plus you will need more guns for your household, neighborhood and friends. if theyre all 9mm glocks less support gear to keep track of.

buy a snub, find a way to secure it in the car, and learn to carry it in different places, w and without holsters
aiwb
aiwb tucked in shirt
pants pockets
jacket pockets
ankle (for driving)
strongside

in a way that you can draw it consistently, standing sitting, after being tackled etc. theres all kinds of different items & clothing mods to help w this. tyou probly already know this the snub is so easy to carry that youll always have it #1 rule of gjunfight

think about buying another pistol thats the same size as the G19 until your GSSF discount comes in. carry the pistol 3-4 oclock iwb, for sure any of the two fringer grip pistols disappear iwb in that spot.

if im out n about i sometimes carry two guns in the way i described. I know two guns, sounds wack but i can get to the snub with a quickness almost always. a subcompact pistol makes it more a pita to do this safely. with a red dot, not a chance . and with two guns you can hand the snub to your girl. or your bro if he forgot his.

a jframe is a little smaller but at your sz xxl shirt that probably doesn teven matter. the lcr feels easier to shoot

RJ
03-05-2021, 08:39 PM
So it looks like there's a lot of advice pointing toward a 26 or 48. I'm guessing deciding between those two is a matter of which one I shoot better and which one fits my body better for carry, with minor bonus points going to the 26 for having magazine commonality. Are there any other objective differences I should take into account?

Seems like barrel length has a pretty small effect on 9mm velocity from what I've read, but that could be small mark in favor of the 48?

Ok, objective.

Width would be one. It’s one of my most noticeable factors now, having actually carried the G19, 26, 43X and 48. It’s hard to quantify exactly why it makes such a difference to me, but it does. Perhaps stature plays a role? (I’m 5’6”). Possibly larger humans feel fine with a double stack gun (I.e. wider) because they are bigger. “To me”, the 43X/48 width just offers that much more comfort in traditional IWB, AOWB, and AIWB (done them all). Whether it would matter to you might thus depend on how large you are.

Grip length would be another. There’s no doubt a G26 with an OEM round mag is a two-finder Grip. Can you shoot it accurately? Yep. Ask GAP. He can shoot the lights out with a G26. And so can many others. It’s often reported as one of Glock’s most accurate guns. But you might make note of how many carry a G26 with +2 mags. Hint: it’s not always because of added capacity, they want a pinky rest, I carried my G26 12+1 as well, so I get it. (This was about the point I decided I might as well carry my G19 15+1.)

The longer grip length of the G43X/48 affords a full three finger grip for my size M hands. Rapid reloads are considerably easier as well.

Rail vs no rail. The G26 does not have a light rail, afaik. (Mine didn’t). The G48 FR recently introduced does.

Trigger reach. This is going to depend on your anthropometrics / hand geometry. A G26 stubby fat grip might suit you fine, or the longer slimmer G48 grip might feel considerably better, shooting, So while they are objectively different in this area, it’s going to depend on you and how you shoot them.

1 vs. 2 slide catch/releases. The G26 has a stop/release on both sides. The slim line G48 only has a stop on the left, since it is too narrow to allow figment of the Gen 5 part.

Sight radius. I find the longer sight radius of the G48 to aid in slide alignment and may contribute to more accurate follow up shots. I don’t perceive any disadvantage in concealment with the 4” barrel, either. In fact the slide length doesn’t really enter into whether or not I can conceal the gun; it’s more about grip length and thickness.

I will say the G26 carried ok for me in a pocket Desantis Nemesis, albeit it was a little porky. I can’t pocket carry a G48.

They are both excellent choices however. It really depends on what you are looking for.

GAP
03-06-2021, 07:32 AM

Have you read this entire thread yet? I would highly recommend it before making a final decision.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?32114-Glock-26-Gen-5

Nephrology
03-06-2021, 09:42 AM

The 48 will carry more easily. The 26 will shoot better. Both are good guns. Won't go wrong with either.

6' 230lbs. Some fat, some muscle. Pretty wide and tall torso and thick legs. Normal attire is jeans, khakis, polo shirts, Oxford shirts, t-shirts, waffle knit long sleeve shirts. In general, nothing super stylish, but I try to look put together with clothes that fit and aren't especially baggy.

At your size I suspect the G26 would carry pretty well. Would probably gentle nudge you in that direction. The 48 is a good gun though and you won't be unhappy if you go that route.

Hint: it’s not always because of added capacity, they want a pinky rest, I carried my G26 12+1 as well, so I get it. (This was about the point I decided I might as well carry my G19 15+1.)

I find the G26 with the OEM +2 mags still carries better on my body than a G19, but as you mention is much more to grab a hold of. I think this is a big plus for the G26 as it makes it more versatile than the 48 in this way.

That said the G26 even with 10 round mags will feel chunkier than the 48 on your beltline and I agree is probably a little difficult to shoot if you have big paws.

Bio
03-06-2021, 10:03 AM
Have you read this entire thread yet? I would highly recommend it before making a final decision.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?32114-Glock-26-Gen-5

I have! It definitely made me regard the 26 as more than just the "chunky toddler Glock".

RJ
03-06-2021, 10:37 AM
Ok, one more objective criteria: I had to go look these up, but according to the Glock US web site:

Glock 26 Gen 5 with loaded magazine: 26.07 oz
Glock 48 with loaded magazine: 25.12 oz

...A difference of 0.95 oz.

https://us.glock.com/en/pistols/g26-gen5-fs-us
https://us.glock.com/en/pistols/g48-us

Doc_Glock
03-06-2021, 10:39 AM
Personally, I've found that the right belt and holster has made it possible to tote a bigger gun than expected- it's just as easy to carry a 1911 in my belt as it is a Shield in my pocket when wearing shorts & a tshirt.
I've found that a Glock 19 can conceal about as well, and really is a good 'all around' size.

Plus the 19 allows for a Weapon mounted light. Which may it may not be a consideration, but it is nice to have the option.

Plus a 19 can be cut down to 26 grip size if needed. It is a very flexible gun.

I like the 26, but there is absolutely nothing a 26 can do that a 19 can’t. The opposite is not true.

RJ
03-06-2021, 10:39 AM

I change my recommendation to a Glock 19 Gen 5 MOS, final answer.

Doc_Glock
03-06-2021, 10:43 AM

Options:

Thanks for any advice.

Like so many other recommend second double stack Glock. 19: smaller, handier for carry, parts and magazine commonality with the G34.

In my life with too many guns I can be pretty happy with a G19 and something small for the pocket, in my case LCP. That covers my needs well. But you should ask yourself Rob’s excellent questions above.

You should get an AR some time.

Shotguns are awesome but very different from anything else in how they run. I have them to learn them but even with some time working them am not really confident enough to grab one in a pinch.

Doc_Glock
03-06-2021, 10:58 AM
I concur with the general idea that no one should be without two different sized handguns. And by that I mean one "belt" gun and something else that can be pocket carried.

In regards to your stated goals. A gun you're going to carry regularly trumps anything else.

If the goal is to eventually live an armed lifestyle (i.e., to be armed wherever and whenever you are legally allowed, especially when you leave the house), then having a weapon you can comfortably and discreetly conceal 100% of the time is necessary. And if you live somewhere where it’s hot and you want to be able to wear properly fitting clothing (versus a muumuu-like top), then a Glock 19 is not going to work well. You’ll need something a lot smaller, like the single stack pistols or j-frame sized revolvers recommended by others.

For me, pocket carry is an important niche that small semi autos don’t fulfill as well as small spurless revolvers, especially with pockets that have vertical openings. So if I already had some kind of 9mm pistol, my second handgun would be a small revolver.

This keeps coming up. That is what you call a clue. Larger belt gun, smaller pocket gun (Jframe or LCP I have tried all the other, don’t bother)

Once I started carrying and shooting a G26 my 19s have not left the safe. When I really want to just shoot it's a G34.

If I had to have just 2 Glocks, it would be 26 and 34. A 17 is almost as good as a 34.

My experience is that the 26 just shoots extremly well for a gun of that size. Throw a pinky extension on and it's even better. My performance is improved with a 19 but the 26 conceals much easier for me and I don't need to dress around it.

True about the 26.

I change my recommendation to a Glock 19 Gen 5 MOS, final answer.

Yes, for OP size next gun should be a 19 in some flavor. Then a pocket gun.

Bio
03-06-2021, 03:59 PM
Lol, every time I think I have an answer I get a firm, well-reasoned argument for a different choice. Thanks, y'all, genuinely.

Joe in PNG
03-06-2021, 05:05 PM
Having pocket toted the Glock 27 at some point, it and the 26 are a touch too big as pocket guns. It's kind of doable, but not really. Which means if you get a 26, you would probably carry it on your belt somehow (IWB or AIWB), and a 19 would work about as well in that role.

Rex G
03-06-2021, 06:14 PM
I see the G19 as neither-fish-nor-fowl, as I could conceal a G17 anywhere I could conceal a G19, except AIWB, where the longer G17 grip made a difference, and, neither was tolerably comfortable at AIWB, making that difference a moot point. A G26 is just small enough for me to have used mine as a pocket gun, in some pockets, and, while in uniform, as an ankle-carry gun. I phased-out all of my “compact” 9mm Glocks, after my right wrist went gimp*, but now wish I had kept the G26, as a lefty-only weapon, so, I will be in the market for a replacement G26, when the market returns to normal.

*If a Glock’s grip is long enough to reach far enough to firmly brace against the “heel bone” of my hand, it remains “orthopedic” enough. G17, G19x, G45, etc., are now my friends.

NoTacTravis
03-06-2021, 06:24 PM
It's interesting that Glocks have gotten to the point where you can get one that has pretty much any dimension chopped down. Barrel length, grip length, or frame width. Pretty much every choice is now available.

...and there's always a "next one" to buy to as you iron out your carry and gun handling too it seems.

Caballoflaco
03-06-2021, 06:53 PM
It's interesting that Glocks have gotten to the point where you can get one that has pretty much any dimension chopped down. Barrel length, grip length, or frame width. Pretty much every choice is now available.

...and there's always a "next one" to buy to as you iron out your carry and gun handling too it seems.

One of many reasons why I’m all: “Glock, I caint quit you”

I will say that finally getting a phlster enigma last week has cured me of any wants for a glock 43 or 48. Which keeps logistics easier.

GearFondler
03-06-2021, 09:24 PM

...and there's always a "next one" to buy to as you iron out your carry and gun handling too it seems.Except for the blazingly fucking obvious options of 19 slide/26 grip and 17 slide/19 grip.

Caballoflaco
03-06-2021, 10:22 PM
Except for the blazingly fucking obvious options of 19 slide/26 grip and 17 slide/19 grip.

I want a 26 slide on a 19 grip because reasons.

GearFondler
03-06-2021, 10:31 PM
I want a 26 slide on a 19 grip because reasons.Me too... So I can comp it and it's still reasonable length.

pangloss
03-06-2021, 11:28 PM
Lol, every time I think I have an answer I get a firm, well-reasoned argument for a different choice. Thanks, y'all, genuinely.

That just means there is no clear right answer and you have a lot of very good options. I started with a G17 and added a G26. Then I added another G17. For a long time I didn't see much point in having a G19 as I carried the G26 and shot (a little) IDPA with a G17. Finally I bought a G19 and pretty much quit shooting the G17 and G26 (though I still shoot the G26 a little bit since I still carry it some). The G43 is sub-optimal in a lot of ways, but I can carry it when I can't carry a double stack pistol, including in my pocket. I need to shoot it more. If I just had a G17 and a G43, I'd shoot the 43 a lot more. They are all good pistols, and I think optimizing around what will allow you carry a pistol the greatest percentage of the time is a good way to address the problem. Once you have the bookends, then you can fill in toward the middle.

Lastly, buy some AR mags now! Buy some more G17 and G19 mags now!