PDA

View Full Version : P320 RX X Carry With Romeo 1 Issues

JonInWA
02-28-2021, 10:17 PM
Crap. I competed with my P320 at an IDPA match on Saturday, and I realized early on the RDS had some malfunctioning issues; at start and on the first shot it was fine, but then at the second shot it went out, but then would come on again-this pattern continued through the match. Good thing I had the OEM suppressor height tritium BUIS as OEM with the gun, and theat they were visible and zeroed through the RDS screen, so the gun was viablde and the match wasn't a disaster.

Battery was newer (replaced last August after the original died), dot strength seemed both adjustable and fine, both before and throughout the match. Battery compartment lid is appropriately tight. SIG's gonna get a call tomorrow-any thoughts or suggestions?

Best, Jon

GJM
02-28-2021, 10:26 PM
First Gen Romeo 1 optics have a poor reliability record.

JCN
02-28-2021, 11:06 PM
Crap. I competed with my P320 at an IDPA match on Saturday, and I realized early on the RDS had some malfunctioning issues; at start and on the first shot it was fine, but then at the second shot it went out, but then would come on again-this pattern continued through the match. Good thing I had the OEM suppressor height tritium BUIS as OEM with the gun, and theat they were visible and zeroed through the RDS screen, so the gun was viablde and the match wasn't a disaster.

Battery was newer (replaced last August after the original died), dot strength seemed both adjustable and fine, both before and throughout the match. Battery compartment lid is appropriately tight. SIG's gonna get a call tomorrow-any thoughts or suggestions?

Best, Jon

Open the battery cover and use a jeweler’s screwdriver to bend the battery contacts up a little to get more solid contact with the battery.

A number of optics can have that issue with battery contacts. First Gen RMRs were famous for that.
I helped a local GM PCC fix his Vortex the night before he left for a major that way.

JonInWA
03-01-2021, 01:08 PM
Open the battery cover and use a jeweler’s screwdriver to bend the battery contacts up a little to get more solid contact with the battery.

A number of optics can have that issue with battery contacts. First Gen RMRs were famous for that.
I helped a local GM PCC fix his Vortex the night before he left for a major that way.

Appreciate the responses and advice. GJM, mine is actually a 2nd Generation Romeo 1.

JCN, Your suggestion is probably spot on, but I talked with SIG Electro-Optical CS, and they've sent me a RMA and shipping label, so I'm going to have them take a look at it.

I'll keep everyone posted on the outcome.

Best, Jon

JCN
03-01-2021, 01:32 PM
Appreciate the responses and advice. GJM, mine is actually a 2nd Generation Romeo 1.

JCN, Your suggestion is probably spot on, but I talked with SIG Electro-Optical CS, and they've sent me a RMA and shipping label, so I'm going to have them take a look at it.

Best, Jon

Sig has great customer service. If there’s no time pressure to have it replaced and returned, that’s the best way to go.

Sig has one of my Romeo3Max and ironically one of my Romeo 1s right now for replacement.

They have replaced 3 other of my Romeo3Max. Or is it 4. I’ve lost track. They break so frequently that I have three on rotation so I can have one out for replacement without having any guns out of commission.

Archer1440
03-01-2021, 01:58 PM

Best, Jon

I personally don’t think any original Romeo1 is suitable for serious use.

It’s actually hard to know what generation Romeo1 (not R1 Pro) one might have- there are at least six revisions to that optic, with two different lens hoods, and after the hood revision, there’s no clear way to tell what revision one might have.

The 6 MOA units released in late 2018 are probably among the more reliable iterations. I’ve run them hard in matches (on X-Fives) and they have been fine, with the SIG steel shroud accessory.

I have a total of seven R1’s- the 6 MOA’s have been durable, but only have two useful settings- too dim for the first two settings for most uses, and then everything else too bright for anything but outdoor use.

Everything else is 3 MOA- two units that used to sit on X-Carries, which killed batteries within a few weeks even when shut off (button press, not MOTAC) and sitting still in the safe. Two others were OK for a year of just sitting but didn’t get any real use- those at least didn’t kill the batteries.

One more is a full on first generation unit, that came with a P226 RX pistol, and that I used on a blue gun for dot practice. It’s designed with a hood shape that exposes the lens to frontal impacts- the original lens hood design. I’ll probably throw it onto a .22LR carbine with a spare SIG steel hood shield I have in the box of parts.

JCN
03-01-2021, 02:35 PM
My Romeo 1 is back to Sig because of the parasite battery drain issue.

JCN
03-02-2021, 10:48 PM
JonInWA got a shipping label from Sig today.

Looks like I’ll get to test a Version 5.0...

GJM
03-02-2021, 11:02 PM
Sig Optics takes care of my wife very well, and they are sending her a replacement Romeo 3 Max today.

I have a buddy that sells optics online and he said the Romeo 1 has had a hellacious return rate compared to everything else he sells. As I recall, holding zero was the big issue. Good friend of mine had multiple units fail this way.

My wife has a few Romeo 1 Pro optics, and they seem much improved, and much more durable.

Archer1440
03-02-2021, 11:10 PM
JonInWA got a shipping label from Sig today.

Looks like I’ll get to test a Version 5.0...

Dollars to donuts, that will arrive in a plastic bag... ask me how I know.

MK11
03-03-2021, 04:43 AM
How difficult is it to get a 320 RX slide recut for something more suitable?

JonInWA
03-03-2021, 08:10 AM
Sig Optics takes care of my wife very well, and they are sending her a replacement Romeo 3 Max today.

I have a buddy that sells optics online and he said the Romeo 1 has had a hellacious return rate compared to everything else he sells. As I recall, holding zero was the big issue. Good friend of mine had multiple units fail this way.

My wife has a few Romeo 1 Pro optics, and they seem much improved, and much more durable.

We'll see how mine comes out. Mine has held its zero nicely in the 16 months I've had it. Our LE rep got me a steel shroud to enhance physical durability, which is a nice addition-as I recall, that now comes standard with the Romeo 1 Pro. Some other friends who had earlier versions of the Romeo 1 had issues with the battery compartment lid coming loose under recoil and breaking connectivity; they were using theirs heavily in USPSA, so their rond counts were probably pretty significant.

Best, Jon

Archer1440
03-03-2021, 10:35 AM
The plastic screwdriver that comes with the Romeo1 only provides about 2/3rds the required torque needed for the battery cap for complete reliability before that blade will give out. You need to torque it to 8-10 lb-in, with a proper screwdriver (perhaps with a bit of tape on it to protect the delicate finish) and torque wrench.

Unfortunately the plastic tool is required (the tiny steel screwdriver end) for any sight adjustment unless you have a fine-blade 2mm jeweler’s screwdriver in your range kit.

Paint witness marks on the cap after the first time so you can repeat the setting without a wrench afterward.

Unfortunately this torque setting will also pretty much lock the battery into the cap, which you’ll discover on your next change, which can be resolved with a jeweler’s screwdriver, sharp needle nose pliers, or just throwing the silly thing onto a hard surface.

As for the question of re-milling an RX to accept something else, yes it’s doable. Two new threaded mounting holes and a bit of trimming the leading edge of the cutout allows use of an RMR/SRO (and for an RMR you’ll need a sealing plate). But you don’t get proper recoil lugs unless you have the leading edge cut to precisely engage the optic body, as it tends to do with the Romeo1.

JonInWA
03-03-2021, 10:57 AM
SIG's Customer Support has been great-they immediately issued me with an RMA and a shipping label, and subsequently are providing me with an interim slide cover. Whille actually acessing a human being can take some extensive wait time on hold, the results when they pick up are exceptionally amicable and helpful. Now if the product involved can provide sustainable performance on its return (or replacement)...

Best, Jon

MAP
03-03-2021, 09:22 PM
How difficult is it to get a 320 RX slide recut for something more suitable?

C&H Precision Weapons re-cut my RX slide to accommodate the Romero 1 Pro. They can also cut it for the RMR.

JCN
03-03-2021, 09:28 PM
I have toyed with idea of trimming a DPP for the pocket but not sure I want to mess with #6 screws that are smaller than the DPP holes (stock screws for DPP have a nice non-threaded body).

JCN
03-04-2021, 04:57 PM
Welp, Sig sent me back my Romeo 1 untouched... saying they couldn't find the cracked lens.

Which isn't surprising since the 3Max was the one with the cracked lens...

Customer service was very nice and helpful like they always are.

So sending back the Romeo 1 and waiting on the 3Max backordered.

JonInWA
03-13-2021, 08:23 AM
Well, that was fast. SIG replaced my problematic 2019 production Romeo 1 with a Version 5.0. I've remounted it with the steel shroud, and a using a dab of paint on the battery cover cap and housing to ascertain if there's any battery cover loosening in the future. I should have a chance to re-zero in the next day or so.

SIG is also sending me the slide cover plate to fill the gap in the slide if the RDS is removed and I revert to solely the what were the BUIS tritium sights; I'll keep that hopefully in reserve. Despite my qualms with the P320 and SIG QC, I really like the ergos and accuracy of it. And mine is concurrently serving as a test-bed for Check-Mate's 17 round full-size magazines that they manufacture as OEM equipment for SIG.

SIG provided me with an Energizer button battery; I'll monitor and replace pro-actively at the six month point, and replace with a Duracell.

The platform will be used during our upcoming June State IDPA Tier IV sanctioned Championship match in the CO division; I'm ambivelant if I'll return it to use as a duty/EDC gun; maybe after some significant vetting.

Best, Jon

JonInWA
03-13-2021, 08:28 AM
Dollars to donuts, that will arrive in a plastic bag... ask me how I know.

You owe us some dollars and doughnuts-mine came in a in a box first wrapped in a plastic bag, then cradled in a foam shell surround, and the box was packed in another padded box.

Best, Jon

Archer1440
03-13-2021, 11:29 PM
You owe us some dollars and doughnuts-mine came in a in a box first wrapped in a plastic bag, then cradled in a foam shell surround, and the box was packed in another padded box.

Best, Jon

Very good. Do you prefer your coffee black?

JonInWA
03-14-2021, 04:50 PM
Is there any other way??

Best, Jon

JonInWA
03-15-2021, 05:37 PM
Zeroed the new Romeo1 V.5.0 today. Since I'm using the steel shroud, elevation adjustment is cranked all the way up to the top stop, but it gives a perfect zero there-same as my previous OEM Romeo1.

I will say that the BUIS (suppressor-height tritium front and rear sights SIG provided as OEM on mine) are very nice in their own right, and are nicely zeroed to the gun. Co-witnessing, even with the steel shroud is very viable (and very welcome after my problems last match).

Best, Jon