PDA

View Full Version : 870p police trades at Sportsman's Outdoor

TQP
02-27-2021, 10:48 AM
870p (https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/261119)

I have no idea if this is a good price or not. Showed up in my email this morning

farscott
02-27-2021, 10:51 AM
Before 2020, that was a horrible price. With the huge demand spike and Remington production offline, it may be reasonable. That being said, my personal rule is $300 or less for used 870P samples, especially in that condition.

Totem Polar
02-27-2021, 11:48 AM
Those look like they were cached in a bridge troll’s ass. I agree that the old reality would see a sticker well under 3 bills, but it isn’t 2015 any more.

TC215
02-27-2021, 11:54 AM
I was at the local cop shop yesterday; they put most of their police trade-ins on Gunbroker. They were telling me that 870P’s normally went for $250-$300, but are now consistently selling for $550-$600.

Totem Polar
02-27-2021, 12:28 PM
I was at the local cop shop yesterday; they put most of their police trade-ins on Gunbroker. They were telling me that 870P’s normally went for $250-$300, but are now consistently selling for $550-$600.

Makes sense, in a perverse sort of way: the guns match the ammo.

farscott
02-27-2021, 01:01 PM
My sense of the market is shot. The last new 870P I bought was purchased in 2006. It was the model with the Wilson rear and tritium front paired with the polymer 870P furniture. I paid $660, including tax, according to my inventory spreadsheet. My last used one was bought back in 2014 for $200 sans a barrel but with a Surefire forearm, a Speedfeed IV stock, and a MMC rear peep sight. I added an 18-inch barrel with the tritium insert in the front sight and replaced the light module in the forend with a Malkoff. Total investment was about $400.

SeriousStudent
02-27-2021, 01:10 PM
I agree with the others - that price is consistent for today's market.

I run a home for wayward and under-appreciated shotguns. I used them for loaner/training guns with very little problems.

Refurbing a used Police Magnum is very straight forward. If you need any assistance, there are a bunch folks here that can help. I have a bunch of factory parts ratholded, if you can't find any.

FNFAN
02-27-2021, 01:55 PM
Those look like they were cached in a bridge troll’s ass.

I agree they're troll's ass-ish. Hopefully mine will be mechanically sound. I gave a like new 870P to my kid as a "Welcome Back from Deployment" present and have been looking for a rifle sighted standard wood stock example to replace it for awhile.

Thanks for posting TQP

Totem Polar
02-27-2021, 03:25 PM
I agree they're troll's ass-ish. Hopefully mine will be mechanically sound. I gave a like new 870P to my kid as a "Welcome Back from Deployment" present and have been looking for a rifle sighted standard wood stock example to replace it for awhile.

Thanks for posting TQP

I bet they run great. Right set up, probably the right window of production. Ugly can be worked with, especially with a shooting pump.

But, yeah, those aren’t much to look at. The good news is that they’re pre-abused, so no worries.
:cool:

Navin Johnson
02-27-2021, 04:17 PM
Half way to a new 1301....

Bio
02-28-2021, 07:37 AM
Does the police trade in aspect increase or decrease the value? I saw a new Mossberg 590A1 at the local shop for less than that a couple days ago.

LJP
02-28-2021, 12:46 PM
Does the police trade in aspect increase or decrease the value? I saw a new Mossberg 590A1 at the local shop for less than that a couple days ago.

It's not so much the police trade in aspect. Rather, it's that these are Police Magnum models. That means they were built on a different line at the factory with better QA controls and better parts. The 590A1 is roughly equivalent in Mossberg guise. Depending on the guns themselves, there may be some department specific stamping somewhere on them that has some value to a prospective purchaser, but mostly it's just the knowledge of getting a mechanically sound gun that probably has mostly cosmetic wear.

Bio
02-28-2021, 01:02 PM
It's not so much the police trade in aspect. Rather, it's that these are Police Magnum models. That means they were built on a different line at the factory with better QA controls and better parts. The 590A1 is roughly equivalent in Mossberg guise. Depending on the guns themselves, there may be some department specific stamping somewhere on them that has some value to a prospective purchaser, but mostly it's just the knowledge of getting a mechanically sound gun that probably has mostly cosmetic wear.

Thanks, makes sense.

Brian T
02-28-2021, 01:36 PM
GT Distributors has a few rifle sighted 870 PMs from what looks like the early 00's for $339

tango-papa
02-28-2021, 03:50 PM
GT Distributors has a few rifle sighted 870 PMs from what looks like the early 00's for $339

I assume, based on your location, the shotguns are at the Dallas store?
The "early 00's" based on barrel date codes?

revchuck38
02-28-2021, 06:47 PM

Do they sell to non-LEOs? I know they were pretty persnickety about ammo that way, when there was ammo to sell.

HCM
02-28-2021, 07:29 PM
Do they sell to non-LEOs? I know they were pretty persnickety about ammo that way, when there was ammo to sell.

In general they do sell to civilians but keep in mind, they are a Police Supply store that also sells guns snd ammo, not a gun store.

If you are referring to the current ammo shortage, LE is their primary customer base. GT reserving ammo for the people who buy all of their flashlights uniforms etc. from them is no different then a shooting range only selling to range patrons or a gun store only selling limited supplies of ammo to people buying a firearm.

If you are referring to GT following manufacturers restrictions on selling ammo designated LE only like Speers deal with 50 round boxes of duty ammo or TAP, again selling LE ammo to LE agencies and LEOs is part of their core business. If you want to be a Speer or Hornady LE ammo dealer you have to follow Speer and Hornady’s rules.

There is nothing persnickety about it.

KellyinAvon
02-28-2021, 07:44 PM
Those look like they were cached in a bridge troll’s ass. I agree that the old reality would see a sticker well under 3 bills, but it isn’t 2015 any more.

I think you're being a bit too kind.

revchuck38
02-28-2021, 07:46 PM
HCM - Thanks for the clarification. I was referring to the pre-Covid era policy.

I'll be in the Dallas area in a couple of weeks for a class with Bolke & Dobbs, and could manage to get there early enough to run by the store to see if they have any left. I'm pretty sure the law says non-Texas residents can legally buy long guns. Do you (or does anyone else) know if their store policy permits this?

HCM
02-28-2021, 08:48 PM
HCM - Thanks for the clarification. I was referring to the pre-Covid era policy.

I'll be in the Dallas area in a couple of weeks for a class with Bolke & Dobbs, and could manage to get there early enough to run by the store to see if they have any left. I'm pretty sure the law says non-Texas residents can legally buy long guns. Do you (or does anyone else) know if their store policy permits this?

I don’t but one thing about both the GT location in Dallas and Austin is they constantly have stuff going in and out.

Not only do they take trade-ins of department weapons but they buy seizure guns from some departments as well.

As far as their business model, they try to be a one stop source for smaller departments so if it department can’t get gold that duty ammo from GT anymore they may also look elsewhere for their uniforms, body armor, etc.

Willard
02-28-2021, 08:53 PM
Makes sense, in a perverse sort of way: the guns match the ammo.

But why if there is no ammo?? A shotgun with no ammo is a club and there are better clubs.

Totem Polar
02-28-2021, 09:06 PM
Folks, Imma just gonna leave this link here, because I love y’all.

Why do troll’s ass, when you can have the mutt’s nuts?

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/411543687/benelli+20155+supernova+tactical+4%2b1+35%22+12+ga +18%22

Brian T
03-01-2021, 01:17 PM

Yeah. They are on the used rack. Once they put them on GB though, the price will go through the roof

Det1397
03-01-2021, 03:55 PM

My LGS had several months ago (maybe at the height of the pre-election buying frenzy) about 20 870P Magnums that were West Virginia SP trade ins. They varied from looking pretty good to not so great, but not nearly as bad as what we’re seeing here from Sportsman. They were standard capacity with rifle sights. Mechanical function was excellent and every one was sold at $650-$700 in a flash.

Ndu8002
03-01-2021, 04:49 PM
My lgs is selling used State police remington 870s for 329. they just got another batch in, and haven't gouged them.

LJP
03-01-2021, 10:51 PM
My lgs is selling used State police remington 870s for 329. they just got another batch in, and haven't gouged them.

At that price, grab two!

FAS1
03-02-2021, 10:19 AM
What will be the first firearm to come out of the factory once production resumes?

“It’ll be the 870, that’ll be the first gun,” Italia said, promising to send photos of No. 1 before it’s goes out the door—or hangs on the wall in celebration of the milestone.

Suppose to start new production yesterday. I wonder what the price will be of the new 870's?

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2021/2/2/remarms-to-begin-production-march-1

vcdgrips
03-02-2021, 12:14 PM
A True Story

National LE shop had 870P turn ins at 299 ish. One was on a pistol grip stock and was particularly rustic looking externally. As I usually run a Mossberg and do not like PG stocks ,I was put off by the set up until I noticed that every screw on it had a witness mark, the follower was clean, hi viz and the action was quite smooth. The inside was clean, clean, clean.

What I did was hesitate, did not buy it on weds and came back on sat to find it gone.

What I should done was fully realize that anybody who cared enough to witness mark every screw,upgrade the follower and keep the internals super clean likely meant this was a great shotgun for 299 even if I was going to have to switch out the stock. Hell, I probably could have made more money on selling the PG one than the Bantam one would have cost me.

Bottom Line-
If you are remotely in the market for a shotgun and you can buy 870P ( or even older Wingmasters etc.) for 329 ish, you are losing money not to pull the trigger.

LHS
03-02-2021, 05:44 PM
I have a feeling that pre-Freedumb-Group 870s are about where S&W revolvers were 10 or 15 years ago: about to skyrocket in price.

shootist26
03-02-2021, 06:31 PM
870p (https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/261119)

I have no idea if this is a good price or not. Showed up in my email this morning

Very high pre-2020, but one thing to note is that those pics show aftermarket tritium sights. So that might account for some of the price at least. Even if the tritium is dead, they are better than the remington factory rifle sights

richiecotite
03-04-2021, 07:48 AM
Good deal considering what’s included. Police wood furniture runs about $100 used, the 18.5 police barrels sell for over $350 (one on eBay with bids @$400) and a +2 is about $50.

If I was in the market for an 870, I’d hop on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LJP
03-10-2021, 11:00 PM
So I bought one of these. It’s a bit beat up on the outside, but the finish is still in decent condition and it looks almost new inside when disassembled. The tritium still glows in the sights and mine came with a sling. Carried a lot, shot a little seems to apply. I’m undecided whether I want to shorten the stock to an appropriate LOP or just replace the furniture with MagPul. The wood has a certain appeal to it and I’m tempted to leave it with the retro look. Barrel codes indicate 1995 manufacture. I’ve been wanting a second 870P for a awhile, so I’m pleased with the purchase. As I remarked to a buddy the other day, I think the days of $300 870P’s are going, going, gone.

HCM
03-11-2021, 01:03 AM
As I remarked to a buddy the other day, I think the days of $300 870P’s are going, going, gone.

Yup just like $99 SKS and $99 Lee-enfields.

Agencies have been drooping shotguns for patrol rifles or relegating shotguns to less leather only for 20 years now. The supply gets smaller every year. The great panic of ‘20 didn’t help either.

My own agency has de-authorized shots completely for the general agent population. They are now limited to breaching and less lethal by our SRT teams.

Nephrology
03-11-2021, 09:35 AM
Glad I held onto my 870P and its older twin, a 20" police Wingmaster. Both are great shotguns. Don't make em like they used to.

Caballoflaco
03-11-2021, 09:42 AM
I have a feeling that pre-Freedumb-Group 870s are about where S&W revolvers were 10 or 15 years ago: about to skyrocket in price.

Remember when used marlin lever guns were erreywhere for $200-$300 and then:Freedum Group and that little JM stamp on the barrel doubled or tripled the value.