PDA

View Full Version : Making a Roll Pin Stop Moving

revchuck38
02-23-2021, 09:36 PM
I've got an S&W M22-4. Soon after I bought it I sent it back to the S&W Performance Center for their Combat Revolver package and replacement of the too-short front sight. The roll pin holding the front sight tends to walk out after firing a bunch of rounds. My instinct is to tap it most of the way out, hit it with some red Loctite, and tap it back in. Is there a better way to do this?

rd62
02-23-2021, 10:02 PM
I've got an S&W M22-4. Soon after I bought it I sent it back to the S&W Performance Center for their Combat Revolver package and replacement of the too-short front sight. The roll pin holding the front sight tends to walk out after firing a bunch of rounds. My instinct is to tap it most of the way out, hit it with some red Loctite, and tap it back in. Is there a better way to do this?

I'd replace the roll pin.

JCN
02-24-2021, 11:55 AM
I might degrease it and then try blue loctite.
Or a thin coating of the E6000.

Or using a small nail and flaring the mouth of the roll pin a little.

jeep45238
02-24-2021, 01:20 PM
A tension pin (roll pin with a slit all the way down) is a one-and-done deal once it can't have enough tension against the ID of the hole it's in. Applying a thread locking chemical to it isn't a good option, those are meant for threads, not for parallel surfaces.

mmc45414
02-24-2021, 02:11 PM
I'd replace the roll pin.

A tension pin (roll pin with a slit all the way down) is a one-and-done deal once it can't have enough tension against the ID of the hole it's in.
Getting a single (or a handful) of something like a roll pin can be tricky, know that Fastenal will sell single items if you order it online. I think it can be delivered to the stores, if there is one nearby.

Applying a thread locking chemical to it isn't a good option, those are meant for threads, not for parallel surfaces.
Though I have used it for drifted rear sights that maybe were not quite as tight as they should be.
I have also heard of a drop of nail polish working. I tend to have some handy for my sights, not my fingernails... :cool:

jeep45238
02-24-2021, 03:20 PM
Getting a single (or a handful) of something like a roll pin can be tricky, know that Fastenal will sell single items if you order it online. I think it can be delivered to the stores, if there is one nearby.

Though I have used it for drifted rear sights that maybe were not quite as tight as they should be.
I have also heard of a drop of nail polish working. I tend to have some handy for my sights, not my fingernails... :cool:

I've had pretty good luck with these folks. For the price of a couple from fastenal, if they sell independently, you can grab a bunch.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Hard-to-Find+Fastener&ref=bl_dp_s_web_10147764011

rd62
02-24-2021, 03:50 PM
Might be worth calling around a few local gunsmiths.

fatdog
02-24-2021, 05:59 PM
I would just flare it on both ends.

Maca
02-24-2021, 06:01 PM
a little clear nail polish has worked well for me in the past

revchuck38
02-24-2021, 10:23 PM

a little clear nail polish has worked well for me in the past

I'll probably try one or both of these. Finding a roll/tension pin around here is unlikely; gunsmiths around here apparently know about revolvers only from pictures. Before I do anything else, though, I'm going to email S&W to see if they'll hook me up with a pin.

OlongJohnson
02-24-2021, 11:19 PM
This will be very secure. Might be difficult to remove.

https://smile.amazon.com/Loctite-37424-Strength-Retainer-6-milliliter/dp/B0002KKTIG

1slow
02-24-2021, 11:27 PM
I might degrease it and then try blue loctite.
Or a thin coating of the E6000.

Or using a small nail and flaring the mouth of the roll pin a little.

-------------------
I was under the impression that roll pins were spring tempered. Can the ends be flared successfully ?

revchuck38
02-24-2021, 11:32 PM
-------------------
I was under the impression that roll pins were spring tempered. Can the ends be flared successfully ?

I'll find out if I can find something small enough to fit in that hole.

1slow
02-24-2021, 11:46 PM
How about grinding a very tapered cone point on the end of a center punch or nailset ?

medmo
02-25-2021, 12:05 AM
Remove the roll pin and peen one end of it. Slightly tap it with a hammer until its slightly out of round. Anvil side of vise for surface and a small ball peen hammer. Might want to tape the other side down on the vise so you won’t have to play “find the small roll pin.” Reinstall unpeened end first.

JCN
02-25-2021, 05:13 AM
-------------------

How about grinding a very tapered cone point on the end of a center punch or nailset ?

I have a set of punches with rounded tips. One time I used a punch that was a little too small to install a little stubborn roll pin and it flared the end. That’s the context of where I came up with idea from a slightly different application.

Remove the roll pin and peen one end of it. Slightly tap it with a hammer until its slightly out of round. Anvil side of vise for surface and a small ball peen hammer. Might want to tape the other side down on the vise so you won’t have to play “find the small roll pin.” Reinstall unpeened end first.

I like this idea a lot.

mmc45414
02-25-2021, 10:35 AM
I've had pretty good luck with these folks. For the price of a couple from fastenal, if they sell independently, you can grab a bunch.
Yes, I have scored some stuff from various Amazon options. Shipping in the thing with Fastenal, but not sure if they might send it to a store as part of normal shipments without, or with a minimal charge.

But they sure got some obscure stuff, I coincidently found out they would sell individual items (the stores just sell boxes) when I butchered up drilling the FO front sight on my Super Blackhawk and I needed a little stainless roll pin, and maybe the next larger size in order to drill it out bigger to fix my screwup. And I got a hand full of each.

Oh yeah, I have flared plenty of them, just never intentionally... :cool:

Archer1440
02-25-2021, 03:49 PM
Tension pins can be “refreshed” by driving a mandrel down through the center of the pin to get it back to the original dimensions. For hard-to-find custom pins this can be done a few times with good effect, if you do it right.

jh9
02-25-2021, 04:03 PM
I'm going to email S&W to see if they'll hook me up with a pin.

They should. If they don't the pin diameter should be .055" if you want to use a solid pin (like they did before changing to roll pins).