PDA

View Full Version : New to revolver world and getting up to speed

tlong17
02-22-2021, 01:09 PM
I’ve poured over these pages only occasionally looking at other resources. I’m beginning to ponder my first revolver. I’ve shot them, played with them, never seriously considered them until now. Currently I’m considering either a 642 or LCR who’s primary role is pocket carry/gym short/sweatpants carry to the grocery store or whatever other similar circumstance I find myself in. Taking the place of a P365.

I recently moved from SFA to DA/SA for the main, 95% of the time carry, pistol. I feel better with the DA first pull and therefore want to carry that over into this gun’s role as well. A DAO revolver appeals to me in place of the 365. Given its role as a 5% of the time carry piece, I’m ok with the trade off in lower capacity for the safety, non-magazine fed, slightly more concealable (for me) nature, and contact shot capability of the revolver. Given that, is it worth the time investment to switch? Am I better off just staying with the 365 or other SFA for that role?

Suffice to say I need a lot of practice shooting one not having much trigger time on anything other than a semi auto.

I am looking for any guidance that can be shared with regards to revolver choice, ammo choice (wadcutters from my research so far) and anything else training related I need to know. I have done as much reading as I can but would appreciate a distilled version here.

Be gentle with me revolver-forum.

fatdog
02-22-2021, 01:40 PM
642 (I would seek out one of the no-lock versions, 642-1) or the Ruger are great choices for the use case you describe. I prefer the older airweight Colt D frames myself but that is not the place to start for somebody new. Get a good pocket holster (I like Mika, but there are many options), learn to load/reload with a speed strip as part of your range practice, consider a bellyband worn at waist level as an option for sweats or gym shorts. Pick a set of grips on the gun that allows you to control it.

It is impossible for me be be objective about the 365 Vs snubby. I started with the snubby in the early 80's and it is as natural to me as driving a car or opening my front door at this point. But I suspect it will be a steeper learning curve (proficiency) for you than the semi-auto was, and you need to invest the time (dry fire and live) or I would not do it.

Ammo, it is hard to argue against the wadcutters, I personally settled on the Barnes 110gr copper HP's.

Lester Polfus
02-22-2021, 02:24 PM
I have owned a 638, the kissing cousin to a 642 for years, and the next gun I buy will be either a Ruger LCR or Smith 640 Pro to replace it, so I can take advantage of the better sights those gun provide. It is a gun-smith proposition to replace the front sight on a 642, and would likely cost a substantial fraction of the gun's overall cost. Also, little can be done about the shallow rear notch.

The 640 Pro comes with excellent sights, but is expensive. I played with a friend's LCR and while not as good as the 640 Pro, the sight picture is a vast improvement over the 638/642. The LCRs front sight can be replaced with nothing but a pin punch and some patience.

The Lucky Gunner Lounge and Revolver Guy websites have some excellent information.

revchuck38
02-22-2021, 02:28 PM
Sample size of one, but my 642 shoots high with wadcutters while 125-130-grain bullets hit to POA. That said, at this point in time, I'd take what I could find and make it work.

Clusterfrack
02-22-2021, 02:41 PM
tlong17, as a very semi-auto oriented person, I never expected to be carrying a 5-shot snubby as much as I do. It took some convincing (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?36930-Snub-interview), and practice (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?22420-Ruger-LCR&p=1079582&viewfull=1#post1079582). The snubby is now an important part of my CCW toolbox, and I do not carry a Glock 43 anymore when I need something small and light.

I didn't find the trigger to be the main issue, possibly because my main carry gun is a TDA (CZ P-07), and I compete in USPSA Production with a TDA. The biggest learning challenge was the ergos, and developing a consistent index (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?22420-Ruger-LCR&p=1000275&viewfull=1#post1000275).

Now, about gun and caliber: a hard requirement for any gun I carry is that I can strip it and replace parts as needed. As well, I do not like adding calibers to my arsenal and want to carry well-vetted defensive loads. This led me to the Ruger LCR 9mm.

tlong17
02-22-2021, 02:54 PM
tlong17, as a very semi-auto oriented person, I never expected to be carrying a 5-shot snubby as much as I do. It took some convincing (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?36930-Snub-interview), and practice (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?22420-Ruger-LCR&p=1079582&viewfull=1#post1079582). The snubby is now an important part of my CCW toolbox, and I do not carry a Glock 43 anymore when I need something small and light.

I didn't find the trigger to be the main issue, possibly because my main carry gun is a TDA (CZ P-07), and I compete in USPSA Production with a TDA. The biggest learning challenge was the ergos, and developing a consistent index (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?22420-Ruger-LCR&p=1000275&viewfull=1#post1000275).

Now, about gun and caliber: a hard requirement for any gun I carry is that I can strip it and replace parts as needed. As well, I do not like adding calibers to my arsenal and want to carry well-vetted defensive loads. This led me to the Ruger LCR 9mm.

Thanks for the great response. Staying with one caliber certainly has its advantages and I like the idea. How much harder is it going to be to shoot than 38 sp??

Clusterfrack
02-22-2021, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the great response. Staying with one caliber certainly has its advantages and I like the idea. How much harder is it going to be to shoot than 38 sp??

I think it's very similar to .38+p, and maybe less annoying because the gun is steel and slightly heavier.

tlong17
02-22-2021, 02:57 PM
I think it's very similar to .38+p, and maybe less annoying because the gun is steel and slightly heavier.

Very cool. Thank you. And thank you for the links above. That P&S episode has been sitting in my watch list for too long. I appreciate seeing your experience incorporating the LCR as I feel like I’m working through the same thing, albeit with less overall experience.

Clusterfrack
02-22-2021, 03:10 PM
Very cool. Thank you. And thank you for the links above. That P&S episode has been sitting in my watch list for too long. I appreciate seeing your experience incorporating the LCR as I feel like I’m working through the same thing, albeit with less overall experience.

Glad to help. There are a lot of options, and I'm very much not a revolver guy--so get more opinions! There are still a lot of things I don't like about revolvers, but everything's a tradeoff. I was super frustrated that the gun disassembled itself after shooting only a couple 100 rounds. Now, with blue Locktite on all the screws that came loose/fell out, the gun seems ok. I definitely need to order some spare parts. Aside from that, Ruger LCR seems very durable and easy to work on. I like the sights too.

It took some experimenting, but I found the right grip (Bantam) and figured out how to hold the gun in the same way as I shoot an auto (thumbs forward). Basically I wanted the advantages of a snubby, without having to change how or what caliber I shoot.

03RN
02-22-2021, 04:12 PM
Im actually going to be the voice of dissent, and I primarily carry revolvers. I think if you are using a 365 and its working then stick with it for pocket carry.

If you wanted to start carrying a revolver on the belt then thats different. A k frame is a good start. If youre looking for gym shorts carry than I think a 2" m64 with barami grips is the way to go imo.

Pocket carry in gym shorts is a floppy mess.

The k frame will give you a better grip and trigger to learn on with more room to learn how to reload efficiently with.

camsdaddy
02-22-2021, 05:02 PM
Im actually going to be the voice of dissent, and I primarily carry revolvers. I think if you are using a 365 and its working then stick with it for pocket carry.

If you wanted to start carrying a revolver on the belt then thats different. A k frame is a good start. If youre looking for gym shorts carry than I think a 2" m64 with barami grips is the way to go imo.

Pocket carry in gym shorts is a floppy mess.

The k frame will give you a better grip and trigger to learn on with more room to learn how to reload efficiently with.
I never expected to read this comment from a guy who is so revolver focused. I hate to admit I agree. If ammo were plenty I may think differently. If I could order a 642 and a case of wadcutters I would feel differently as well.

The 365 is a strong choice and probably easier to learn how to operate well. Lots of ammo in a small package.
Of course a snub does what a snub does better than anything. For me that's pocket carry and indexes like nothing else in my hand.

randyho
02-22-2021, 05:36 PM
Pocket carry in gym shorts is a floppy mess.*cough*

Lcr's are on my revolver-curious list as well. My 45 acp 325 pd bid turned out poorly, more so than the S & W Performance Center 1911 with which I had far less interest... and won. My Colt Cobra, meanwhile, continues to hate me.

jrbway
02-22-2021, 05:55 PM
The Lucky Gunner Lounge and Revolver Guy websites have some excellent information.

+1 on the RevolverGuy.com recommendation. I also suggest making your way to Greg Ellifritz's snubby class (there's an AAR on here somewhere--offer to host it if he's not in your area). If that's not feasible, at least read Ed Lovette's book.

Salamander
02-23-2021, 12:38 AM
+1 on the RevolverGuy.com recommendation. I also suggest making your way to Greg Ellifritz's snubby class (there's an AAR on here somewhere--offer to host it if he's not in your area). If that's not feasible, at least read Ed Lovette's book.

I'll second the part about training (at least once ammo is available again), with any of the handful of people recommended by those on this forum. In my case and specific to snubbies, it's been Chuck Haggard and Claude Werner. It will get you up the learning curve a whole lot faster, and might surprise with what those little snubbies are capable of. They do require a little extra effort; a K-frame is easier to shoot well than a J-frame, but if the goal is deep concealment pocket carry then it's hard to beat a J-frame or LCR. Life is trade-offs, and your goals will drive the decision.

Age and eyesight will influence choice of sights. Rudimentary trough sights work fine at 30, not so much a couple decades later. I can make a 642 work, but for me there are better choices.

Rex G
02-23-2021, 12:26 PM
I am in a very weak-signal area, on a mobile device, at the moment, making locating the links problematic, so I will recommend finding the Primary & Secondary you-tube channel video on the subject of snubby revolvers, in which the panel guests are Darryl Bolke, and, Chris, the Lucky Gunner video guy. This discussion can also be found as a podcast, but one will miss some of the visual information.

Lucky Gunner has its own you-tube channel. See their revolver, stuff, too.

Learn the revolver because of valid reasons, in your life, not just because it is trendy.

My first handgun was a Detonics* 1911, in late 1982 or early 1983, at age 21, so, I was an early believer in auto-loaders, and thought, at the time, that revolvers were quaint, but, by late 1983 I was attending a big-city police department’s academy, which required me to buy or otherwise possess a 4” S&W L-Frame revolver, if I did not already own/possess a suitable 4” DA revolver made by S&W, Colt, or Ruger. During my first year of sworn service, starting in March 1984, I was mandated to use only DA revolvers, for all defensive hand-gunning purposes, on or off the clock. So, I made a diligent effort to learn the revolver, inside, outside, and upside down, before I really got a chance to learn the 1911 well. So, revolvers became “natural.” I have, by now, used both autos and revolvers for 3.5 decades, not seeing either as best for all times, all places, or all tasks.

Skipping forward to 2021, a time when an aging hand does not always do what my brain tells it to do, a revolver does not care if I may be limp-wristing or numb-thumbing. So, autos are now supplemental, with revolvers being vital. This is my leading valid reason, for revolving.

*Seemed a good choice, at the time, mostly because it was made of stainless steel, an advantage for the amount of time I spent near salt water, and because that was not a happy time for Colt quality control.

Hizzie
02-23-2021, 03:04 PM
Entry level the LCR beats the 642 in every way except for size. The LCR is just a touch bigger as you can see in the Lucky Gunner review.

There is a lot going for the 22LR snubby. Higher capacity, no recoil, cheap to feed and downright fun to shoot. I’ve converted a few folks to snubbies and they enjoyed their choice but after picking up a 22LR version they admitted they shoot the 22 better and enjoy it far more.

mmc45414
02-25-2021, 12:28 PM
There is a lot going for the 22LR snubby. Higher capacity, no recoil, cheap to feed and downright fun to shoot. I’ve converted a few folks to snubbies and they enjoyed their choice but after picking up a 22LR version they admitted they shoot the 22 better and enjoy it far more.

And if ammo reliability is a concern with rimfire pulling the trigger again is easier than Tap-Rack-Bang.

Hizzie
02-25-2021, 01:06 PM
And if ammo reliability is a concern with rimfire pulling the trigger again is easier than Tap-Rack-Bang.

Not so much an issue with CCI Mini-Mags or Velocitors. They both also get to the minimum 12” of penetration in ballistic gel.

mmc45414
02-25-2021, 01:36 PM
Not so much an issue with CCI Mini-Mags or Velocitors.

Yes, those are what I would use and recommend, I only mentioned it because it is a common argument against rimfire defensive guns.

IMO there are a lotta people that would be much better off with a .22 they took the the range every week instead of a 9mm they shot the day they bought it and it scared them.

tlong17
02-27-2021, 05:44 PM
Thank you for the replies. Ammo is definitely even worse for revolver land right now.

Wheeler
02-28-2021, 09:42 AM

I’ve had nearly 100% reliability with CCI Stingers out of my 43c. The caveat is the ammo has to be cycled on a regular basis due to the relative fragility of the priming method compared to a centerfire. The frequency of cycling out ammo depends on how much the gun gets banged around during the course of one’s daily activities.

I carry 8 CCI Stingers in the cylinder and a Tuff Strip with 6 more in a 2x2x2 configuration. I try to cycle those out at least once a month but preferably once every two weeks. My job requires me to be in a lot of non typical positions and the gun in a pocket holster does get bumped a lot.

The LCR is much easier to shoot well than the Airlight J frames. Even so I’d not recommend either chambered in .38 Special to a revolver novice as their entry into the world of shooting revolvers proficiently. At a minimum I’d start off with an all steel frame, preferably a K frame. The ubiquitous model 10 in one of its myriad forms comes to mind.

Rex G
02-28-2021, 10:03 AM
Thank you for the replies. Ammo is definitely even worse for revolver land right now.

It eventually pays, to have a rimfire “understudy” gun, that is functionally similar to one’s carry gun. Rimfire ammo is less expensive, and, in the time time of panicdemicness, more available than centerfire revolver ammo. The difference, of course, is that today’s rimfire prices are seeming like pre-panicdemic centerfire prices.

Glenn E. Meyer
02-28-2021, 12:54 PM
I carry a J frame at times for convenience or dress restrictions. What I did was take Claude Werner's snubby class and then shot said J frames quite a bit in club match IDPA. Must have put several hundred rounds through matches. Also, where I used to live we had short range specialized matches (I wrote them up in AAR) and I shot the 642 in those. I also shot my J frame SW 632 in the matches. Sometimes I won revolver (as I was the only guy shooting revolver - haha). I also put about two hundred rounds down range in the square range with the revolvers. I feel that I shoot them quite decently. Practice on the square range for trigger, sights, etc. and then competition for more dynamic action. That with a good class as suggested, will do it.

My most carried J is the SW 432 with 32 HR mags of various sorts. Light weight, 6 shots - reasonable bang output.

Of course, one must say - I prefer a Glock and an extra mag but the J's work when constrained. Got a CT on the 642. Should get around to one on the 432 but other priorities intervene.

mmc45414
03-01-2021, 10:31 AM
I swear, with all this J-frame talk I start wondering about some more of them, and I already have more of them than I need, and typically carry the same one when I do.

But that 43c with the eight rounds and cylinder as light as the PD guns...
But the (until now not mentioned?) 317 is nearly as light, might AIWB better, and has nice sights...

And I have also wanted to try an LCR, only a few ounces more...
And I have also wanted to try a 9mm, and there is that 9mm LCR option...

But I have been buying rifle stuff, and optics, and bullets, and, and, and, ARGHHHHH!!!! :cool:

Glenn E. Meyer
03-01-2021, 11:30 AM
PS - when I said I put 200 rounds down the square range, that isn't too much. However, I forgot to say recently. That was just a couple of practice sessions. Not the entire package. I found in the short range match, where we had a moderately long range (for a short range match) one head shot mandated to do it to stop the mad bomber, I could do it with a 642. I do like that gun. I noted elsewhere, you can't see the red laser dot outdoors in TX unless you are so close you don't need it.

Wheeler
03-01-2021, 02:06 PM
I swear, with all this J-frame talk I start wondering about some more of them, and I already have more of them than I need, and typically carry the same one when I do.

But that 43c with the eight rounds and cylinder as light as the PD guns...
But the (until now not mentioned?) 317 is nearly as light, might AIWB better, and has nice sights...

And I have also wanted to try an LCR, only a few ounces more...
And I have also wanted to try a 9mm, and there is that 9mm LCR option...

But I have been buying rifle stuff, and optics, and bullets, and, and, and, ARGHHHHH!!!! :cool:

The 43c has an XS dot out front. I found the sights on the 317 to be suboptimal for my purposes so I traded it decor a 12-2. :)

mmc45414
03-01-2021, 02:25 PM
The 43c has an XS dot out front.
They are nice! I have the same on my 360 and I did this to my 637 and 638 (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?35333-XS-Glue-On-J-Frame-Sight-Files-Instead-of-Milling&p=850035&viewfull=1#post850035) (I told ya I have too many... :cool: )

ETA: I had to revise the model number for the 637 twice before I remembered correctly, I for sure have tooo many!