PDA

View Full Version : Barbecue Thread

Joe in PNG
02-19-2021, 04:44 PM
Ah, barbecue, that awesome way of slow cooking meat.

And since it's very regional, what's the prevailing way in your region, and where do you like to get it?

In my part of Central Florida, the preferred meat is pork ribs, slow smoked over oak, though brisket & chicken are also available.

The traditional local sauce preference is from King's Taste BBQ, a hot & spicy mustard based sauce that's a bit different from the Carolina mustard sauces I've tried.

And of all the BBQ joints I've frequented regularly in the Lake Co area, the favorite of our lunch bunch is Old Crow in Umatilla. Not only do they do great ribs & brisket, but the trip is worth it for the desserts (red velvet cake, peach cobbler alamode), and we usually pick up a couple of pounds of sliced smoked ham to go, which is also incredible.

ccmdfd
02-19-2021, 04:56 PM
I am in eastern North Carolina, therefore our big thing is pulled pork. Don't think there's a specific wood that's used for it. Our barbecue sauce is very vinegar based.

I will certainly eat it without any difficulty. However I really do prefer the barbecue sauce in the western part of the state which is more of a red sauce, with some sweetness.

However, I'm also half of a texting. My father was from there. Therefore we grew up eating brisket several times a year and still have love for that.

We've always had a lot of regular pulled pork barbecue restaurants around. However in the past 10 years we really seen an explosion of other BBQ joints offering brisket, ribs, Etc.

rd62
02-19-2021, 05:08 PM
I'm in SC. Here its also pulled pork. Ribs and chicken are also popular. Brisket is gaining in popularity. You'll occasionally find smoked turkey and/or sausage on some menus as well.

Sauces depend upon where you are within the state. We have ketchup based, the coast tends to favor mustard based, while the Pee Dee region of the state favors a Vinegar and Red Pepper blend. I like a combination of all three.

A popular side dish here is bbq hash and rice. The hash is a bbq stew traditionally made from head meat and other scraps, stewed down and seasoned similarly to the bbq and served over white rice. More commonly now I've seen it made from hams and shoulders like the pulled pork.

JAD
02-19-2021, 05:53 PM
So you start a barbeque thread on a Friday in Lent? F you, man. Just... f you.

I have spent most of my adult life in KC but lived in Texas for three years; I've also traveled extensively and make a point of eating barbeque when available.

The best ribs are in KC. The best brisket -- the only good brisket -- is in Texas. The best pulled pork is actually in DC and Maryland, which I think is weird.

The ONLY burnt ends are in KC.

I host a lot of Norwegian visitors to KC, and have developed 'the Norsk Special' at Jack's Stack: beef burnt ends and lamb ribs. They're both unique, and Norges like them some lamb.

My personal infatuation these days is with beef ribs.

mtnbkr
02-19-2021, 06:28 PM
I am in eastern North Carolina, therefore our big thing is pulled pork. Don't think there's a specific wood that's used for it. Our barbecue sauce is very vinegar based.

Scotts FTW. :cool:

My family is from Eastern NC and what's left of them live in/around Goldsboro. I guess technically I have half a pig cooker down there. My brother owns the other half. It's at my mom's and neither of us have a place to put it. I should put it to work after we get our vaccinations and can get together in person again.

Chris

JM Campbell
02-19-2021, 07:11 PM

I have spent most of my adult life in KC but lived in Texas for three years; I've also traveled extensively and make a point of eating barbeque when available.

The best ribs are in KC. The best brisket -- the only good brisket -- is in Texas. The best pulled pork is actually in DC and Maryland, which I think is weird.

I host a lot of Norwegian visitors to KC, and have developed 'the Norsk Special' at Jack's Stack: beef burnt ends and lamb ribs. They're both unique, and Norges like them some lamb.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210220/24032a1ea621e4107f2cc0ffff393f12.jpg

Texas beef ribs, no sauce.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210220/aaaaef7025a44b99e4eebfcc77cd21ff.jpg

Texas finger ribs, no sauce.

I only like sauce on pulled pork sandwiches and if I’m not doing sandwiches I’m doing pulled pork to be served in a platter. If I do it right it should have all the flavor I need/want from the rub and drippings in the pan when I shred/pull it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bio
02-19-2021, 07:16 PM

Jack Stack lamb ribs are insane. Just a different level. KC absolutely.

Traditional St. Louis BBQ is eeehh, the sauce is pretty ketchupy. Lately (past 10 years, probably) there's been some really good places that have cropped up. I haven't noticed a regional specialty, because a lot of the new stuff seems to draw a lot from KC and Memphis and other regions. They just pick a style they like and do it. There seems to be a lot of experimentation going on. In addition to traditional stuff, a lot of times a restaurant will have their own thing they're doing. One joint near me gets cured meats from the Italian-American community in St. Louis and smokes them, and its great. Another smokes both Brussels sprouts and cauliflower (speaking of Lent) and its amazing.

theJanitor
02-19-2021, 07:24 PM
Hawaii. Ours is slow cooked whole pig, wrapped in banana leaves, buried in the ground with hot rocks, and left to cook/steam overnight. We'll throw chicken, fish, potatoes, etc., in the pit too. No sauce

Shotgun
02-19-2021, 07:29 PM
So you start a barbeque thread on a Friday in Lent?

My thoughts exactly. Now, this is all I can think about.

rd62
02-19-2021, 07:50 PM

Been to DC and Martland but never had pulled pork there. What do yo uh like about it that makes you say its best?

Joe in PNG
02-19-2021, 08:03 PM
I'm Southern Baptist, so...

And I'm currently in PNG, and it's been 4 months since I've last had good BBQ, and it will probably over a year until I get it next.

JAD
02-19-2021, 08:38 PM
My thoughts exactly. Now, this is all I can think about.

Tacos pescado at Rudy’s. Bless their hearts.

JAD
02-19-2021, 08:43 PM
Been to DC and Martland but never had pulled pork there. What do yo uh like about it that makes you say its best?

Crazy moist, deep ring, serious bark. At like three or four places I can think of, over the course of several years. Little holes in the wall.

DDTSGM
02-19-2021, 11:20 PM
The absolute best BBQ Brisket I've ever eaten was at a hole in the wall joint, I believe on East McArthur in Wichita, the back of the building was a strip club.

'Watcha want?' 'How about some brisket, coleslaw, fries and a coke?' 'French fryer's broken, and we don't have any ice, we got chips' 'Okay'

Outfreakingstanding.

TGS
02-20-2021, 08:08 AM
Crazy moist, deep ring, serious bark. At like three or four places I can think of, over the course of several years. Little holes in the wall.

Where?

Having been to the Carolinas, Texas and KC, my favorite BBQ is definitely KC. Jack's Stacks, Q39, Gates, and Joe's KC were all crazy tasty.

ccmdfd
02-20-2021, 09:09 AM
However, I'm also half of a texting. My father was from there. Therefore we grew up eating brisket several times a year and still have love for that.

F'ing auto correct!

That was supposed to say half- Texan!

RoyGBiv
02-20-2021, 09:51 AM
I'm Southern Baptist, so...

And I'm currently in PNG, and it's been 4 months since I've last had good BBQ, and it will probably over a year until I get it next.

Get yourself a smoker.

JAD
02-20-2021, 12:10 PM
Where?

Having been to the Carolinas, Texas and KC, my favorite BBQ is definitely KC. Jack's Stacks, Q39, Gates, and Joe's KC were all crazy tasty.
Carolina Brothers in Ashburn sticks out. I am having a hell of a time remembering the MD place because I am usually trying to get out of MD as fast as possible.

next time you’re in town go to LCs and get ribs. Go to BB’s lawnside and get hammered. And for the love of God, go to Bryant’s and get anything to put sauce on.

UNM1136
02-20-2021, 02:26 PM
Not claiming much BBQ gravitas, since NM is not a BBQ location, but we cook a lot of meat with smoke, or in ground ovens, like the original boucans,but one local burger chain and one regonal BBQ chain seem to have stumbled on a magical BBQ Carne Adovada. Pork roast is wet rubbed with red chile sauce and smoked. Until it is pulled pork done. And then draped in more red chile sauce. And wrapped in a tortilla, sprinkled with chopped onions and cheese, and consumed.

Another local restaurant has been on the Food Network, more than once, for Red Chile Pork Ribs, braised, not smoked. But still:cool:

YUM.

pat

UNM1136
02-20-2021, 02:32 PM
Little holes in the wall.

When I order in those places, it is almost always "give me what you eat here".

pat

ccmdfd
02-20-2021, 02:48 PM
Not claiming much BBQ gravitas, since NM is not a BBQ location, but we cook a lot of meat with smoke, or in ground ovens, like the original boucans,but one local burger chain and one regonal BBQ chain seem to have stumbled on a magical BBQ Carne Adovada. Pork roast is wet rubbed with red chile sauce and smoked. Until it is pulled pork done. And then draped in more red chile sauce. And wrapped in a tortilla, sprinkled with chopped onions and cheese, and consumed.

pat

Wow! That made my mouth water just reading it.

Joe in PNG
02-20-2021, 04:07 PM
Get yourself a smoker.

Tempting, but there's nothing here worth smoking. Good, BBQ worthy meat is hard to get in the Highlands, as is any kind of wood useful for smoking.

JclInAtx
02-20-2021, 08:54 PM
YUM.

pat

I stumbled on carne adovada when visiting NM a few years a go. I have a great dutch oven / crock pot recipe that's pork loin, onions, garlic, and a few spices - mostly Chile powder and Chile flakes. Very good considering how little effort is involved. I'm sure adding smoke flavor to the mix would be amazing.

luckyman
02-20-2021, 09:06 PM
I stumbled on carne adovada when visiting NM a few years a go. I have a great dutch oven / crock pot recipe that's pork loin, onions, garlic, and a few spices - mostly Chile powder and Chile flakes. Very good considering how little effort is involved. I'm sure adding smoke flavor to the mix would be amazing.

Post the recipe if you are comfortable sharing your secret [emoji1]

JclInAtx
02-20-2021, 09:23 PM
Austin / Central Texas is my area so brisket is the main attraction but I think I prefer beef ribs.

Past few years I've made my own brisket so the following is a little dated

Franklin's is really good, but not sure about wait in line 3 hours good. I've only had it at my wife's company parties as a result. Open bar may also have influenced my opinion.... They have several sauces but I don't recall them.

Style switch has good brisket and beef ribs.

The only one of the new places downtown I've been to is Terry Blacks. It was good but pricy and my beef ribs had about 2" of fat cap.

In Lockhart i like Blacks and Kreutzs. Blacks has more character but we've found occasionally the brisket too salty. They have several types of sauce. Kreutzs is huge, feels a little like eating at a Wal-Mart.

The Salt Lick has been hit or miss. Ive had good brisket and jerky labeled brisket. I think they may had grown too fast and couldnt keep up quality. Their claim to fame is the sauce which I think is mustard based. Sauce is fine but only if the brisket is good.

JAD
02-20-2021, 09:31 PM
Kreutzes is the bomb.

flyrodr
02-20-2021, 09:43 PM
NC spends all its time in-fighting over Eastern (vinegary) vs Western (ketchupy) BBQ that there's no time to consider what's available in the rest of the country. It's all good! Just don't forget the hush puppies and banana pudding!

JclInAtx
02-20-2021, 10:10 PM
Post the recipe if you are comfortable sharing your secret [emoji1]

Hah, I guess I should clarify I have *found* a good recipe, it is hardly mine!

This is the base recipe https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/carne-adovada-recipe2-1939135

I cut way back on Chile flakes and Chile powder as even with the mild from Rancho de Chimayo it was very hot.

mtnbkr
02-21-2021, 06:55 AM
NC spends all its time in-fighting over Eastern (vinegary) vs Western (ketchupy) BBQ that there's no time to consider what's available in the rest of the country. It's all good! Just don't forget the hush puppies and banana pudding!

If the western end would just admit they're wrong, we could move on and start tackling issues like cole slaw on the sammich or on the side and other important aspects of bbq. :)

Chris

RoyGBiv
02-21-2021, 09:08 AM

And Tea!

ACP230
02-21-2021, 09:27 AM
My wife and I crossed into Kentucky from Indiana, on the way to Florida.
Our river crossing was overseen by a large billboard saying,
MUTTON BARBECUE. Not long after crossing the border we
were ordering some. I enjoyed it tremendously. Unfortunately,
I have not found it available anywhere else in my travels.

Recently I have been ordering brisket more often than anything else.

TR675
02-21-2021, 09:35 AM
Texas here. I roll my own BBQ on a Weber kettle with a slow’n’sear. Great results, and if you have a kettle you can get started smoking for about $125. I smoked a brisket during the winter storm down here at zero degrees with no problems maintaining heat...actually I let the temp get away from me during the warm up period and smoked it hot and fast instead of low and slow...but it turned out good. Starting with prime brisket gives you a lot of leeway.

I do pork ribs, pork butts, and brisket either on the slow’n’sear or in a Pit Barrel Cooker. I keep the rub simple, salt and black pepper. I’ve found no reason to get an offset smoker yet.

Amazingribs.com is a great resource for the virgin BBQ’er.

ccmdfd
02-21-2021, 09:40 AM
Amazingribs.com is a great resource for the virgin BBQ’er.

I second that motion.

If it wasn't for them, I'd probably never learned about tri tip.

mtnbkr
02-21-2021, 10:08 AM
And Tea!

I'm going to deviate from my family here and say "unsweet".

Chris

okie john
02-21-2021, 12:31 PM
I grew up in Oklahoma on Texas-style beef seasoned only with salt, pepper, and wood smoke. I can’t say that I’ve found a style I prefer over Texas.

I’ve had Hawaiian style once, at a luau at a big white hotel near a beach in Kona. They used gunny sacks instead of banana leaves. I’d like to try it again done properly.

During the couple of years that I was stationed at Ft. Bragg, I tried many variations of pulled pork with both types of sauce mentioned here. I felt like too many cooks tried to use the sauce to hide the sins of cheap or poorly chosen meat/fuel and it just never worked for me.

Western Washington has plenty of places that work in the St. Louis and KC styles, which is OK I suppose. We also have places that claim to be Texas style but that’s a lie. A stinking, goddamned lie.

Jack's (https://jacksbbq.com/algona/) starts serving brisket breakfast tacos at 0500 on weekdays and they’re on the way to the range. I'm there pretty often.

They have legit Texas-style brisket and beef ribs. FWIW, those are full-sized dinner forks shown for scale.

Sides run the gamut but I go deep on beans and collard greens. Jack's cooks both to taste like what they are instead of burying their flavor under a bunch of hot sauce. I always get extra of both so I can mix them with pieces of leftover brisket the next couple of days.

Okie John

UNM1136
02-21-2021, 01:02 PM
Their claim to fame is the sauce which I think is mustard based. Sauce is fine but only if the brisket is good.

There is a local place that turned a competitive bbq hobby into a restaurant with two locations. The have a cardboard sixpack beer bootle caddy on each table with six different sauces. When I go to BBQ joints, unless I get a whif of a particular standout, best in category dish I go with the combo plate so I can sample everything. The wife and I went and sampled everything.

Their mustard sauce is one of the best I have ever tried, and one I may need to duplicate. It is sharp and vinegary and mustardy with a very surprisingly mild and sweet finish that I firmly believe is due to bread and butter pickle brine. The staff was no help.

pat

JclInAtx
02-22-2021, 02:56 PM
Not claiming much BBQ gravitas, since NM is not a BBQ location, but we cook a lot of meat with smoke, or in ground ovens, like the original boucans,but one local burger chain and one regonal BBQ chain seem to have stumbled on a magical BBQ Carne Adovada. Pork roast is wet rubbed with red chile sauce and smoked. Until it is pulled pork done. And then draped in more red chile sauce. And wrapped in a tortilla, sprinkled with chopped onions and cheese, and consumed

pat

Apologies for further thread drift. Hoping this adds some good smoke flavor. Don't know why this never occurred to me before.

theJanitor
02-22-2021, 03:53 PM
I’ve had Hawaiian style once, at a luau at a big white hotel near a beach in Kona. They used gunny sacks instead of banana leaves. I’d like to try it again done properly.

Even at it's best, it still sucks compared to good barbeque. Sadly we've got no great places here

Half Moon
02-22-2021, 04:04 PM
There is a local place that turned a competitive bbq hobby into a restaurant with two locations. The have a cardboard sixpack beer bootle caddy on each table with six different sauces. When I go to BBQ joints, unless I get a whif of a particular standout, best in category dish I go with the combo plate so I can sample everything. The wife and I went and sampled everything.

Their mustard sauce is one of the best I have ever tried, and one I may need to duplicate. It is sharp and vinegary and mustardy with a very surprisingly mild and sweet finish that I firmly believe is due to bread and butter pickle brine. The staff was no help.

pat

Which places are you talking about in this and the earlier post? I think the only local, not a chain, place we've tried around Albuquerque is The County Line. They were passable but after a couple times bad service we stopped going.

UNM1136
02-22-2021, 06:49 PM
Which places are you talking about in this and the earlier post? I think the only local, not a chain, place we've tried around Albuquerque is The County Line. They were passable but after a couple times bad service we stopped going.

Rudy's smokes their carne adovada, and Blakes used to, and I think they still do. Both places offer pulled pork type sandwiches, but as a very, very minor menu role. Both places make their own food either in the restaurant (Rudy's) or at a commissary to send to the restaurants (Blake's comissary is off of Candelaria? Commanche? Between Carlisle and the Interstate). It makes sense, if you have a semi popular food item, to try to stretch it in different dishes.

The place with the sauce sixpacks is Whole Hog Cafe. Main place is off of Montgomery/Eubank. Just a couple of of months ago I saw a location off of Central between the Interstate and Edith. Dunno how long it has been there.

And while the carne adovada at Rudy's is pretty good I am usually there for breakfast. The Smoked Brisket, Egg, and Green Chile breakfast taco is my hands down favorite. Blakes and Rudy's carne are both of the shredded type. While great, especially when smoked, I like chunks of red chile braised pork that shred themselves either on my fork or in my mouth. The shredded type tends to get you more meat per burrito/taco. The cubed pork is what my granddad used to make. And is pretty good, if it is not shredding itself, skewered and grilled, the carne kabobs I started making in college.

Too bad the tortillas Rudy's uses, just like the buns from Whattaburger, trigger bronchospasms that almost make me yak by the time I walk from the breakfast table to my car. Always worth it so far. Their potato salad ain't too bad, either.

I have heard all my life about the County Line, and have always been led to believe they were too pricy for me. Friends rave about their beef ribs and smoked duck. Once the dining in this state gets back to normal, I think there will be a date night. I'll even take the wife along!

Interesting side note for the natives: when I was a kid Blakes used to give you ketchup for your fries in the little clear plastic cups. I was so upset, because the little packets were, in my mind, better. I assumed the clear plastic cups were so that they could buy #10 cans of ketchup and portion out small amounts in the cups at a cost savings. I learned from a retired APD SWAT/Canine guy that I had in some classes, that when he worked there in highschool the ketchup was portioned out that way because the comissary made the ketchup in house, and sent it to the individual restaurants. I miss the ketchup from a place that cared enough to make their own. Especially now that the quality of their beef seems to have slipped. But standardization makes for a consistent product. When I was a kid Blakes was an ABQ thing and we were happy to get them when the Los Lunas location opened. Now they are all over the state, and moving into Az, Tx, and Co.

ETA: Also, by the comment that the staff was no help, the service was not bad at all, but when I asked about the mustard sauce (my first real experience with it) thay either didn't know, or wouldn't share how it was made. When I was in cooking school it was suggested that higher end joints would happily give customers recipes for many popular dishes. Even to the point of having high end recipe cards availabe to give to customers. When I was the chef for a day and adaped one of my childhood favorite recipes one of the teachers visiting our little restaurant didn't know me by name, but had taught me in an online class. He asked for the recipe, and I gave it. He went in to be the Food and Beverage Director for one of the high end hotels, with a couple of high end restaurants in town. It was one of my proudest moments in cooking school.

pat

Half Moon
02-22-2021, 07:22 PM
Rudy's smokes their carne adovada, and Blakes used to, and I think they still do. Both places offer pulled pork type sandwiches, but as a very, very minor menu role. Both places make their own food either in the restaurant (Rudy's) or at a commissary to send to the restaurants (Blake's comissary is off of Candelaria? Commanche? Between Carlisle and the Interstate). It makes sense, if you have a semi popular food item, to try to stretch it in different dishes.

The place with the sauce sixpacks is Whole Hog Cafe. Main place is off of Montgomery/Eubank. Just a couple of of months ago I saw a location off of Central between the Interstate and Edith. Dunno how long it has been there.

And while the carne adovada at Rudy's is pretty good I am usually there for breakfast. The Smoked Brisket, Egg, and Green Chile breakfast taco is my hands down favorite. Blakes and Rudy's carne are both of the shredded type. While great, especially when smoked, I like chunks of red chile braised pork that shred themselves either on my fork or in my mouth. The shredded type tends to get you more meat per burrito/taco. The cubed pork is what my granddad used to make. And is pretty good, if it is not shredding itself, skewered and grilled, the carne kabobs I started making in college.

Too bad the tortillas Rudy's uses, just like the buns from Whattaburger, trigger bronchospasms that almost make me yak by the time I walk from the breakfast table to my car. Always worth it so far. Their potato salad ain't too bad, either.

I have heard all my life about the County Line, and have always been led to believe they were too pricy for me. Friends rave about their beef ribs and smoked duck. Once the dining in this state gets back to normal, I think there will be a date night. I'll even take the wife along!

Interesting side note for the natives: when I was a kid Blakes used to give you ketchup for your fries in the little clear plastic cups. I was so upset, because the little packets were, in my mind, better. I assumed the clear plastic cups were so that they could buy #10 cans of ketchup and portion out small amounts in the cups at a cost savings. I learned from a retired APD SWAT/Canine guy that I had in some classes, that when he worked there in highschool the ketchup was portioned out that way because the comissary made the ketchup in house, and sent it to the individual restaurants. I miss the ketchup from a place that cared enough to make their own. Especially now that the quality of their beef seems to have slipped. But standardization makes for a consistent product. When I was a kid Blakes was an ABQ thing and we were happy to get them when the Los Lunas location opened. Now they are all over the state, and moving into Az, Tx, and Co.

ETA: Also, by the comment that the staff was no help, the service was not bad at all, but when I asked about the mustard sauce (my first real experience with it) thay either didn't know, or wouldn't share how it was made. When I was in cooking school it was suggested that higher end joints would happily give customers recipes for many popular dishes. Even to the point of having high end recipe cards availabe to give to customers. When I was the chef for a day and adaped one of my childhood favorite recipes one of the teachers visiting our little restaurant didn't know me by name, but had taught me in an online class. He asked for the recipe, and I gave it. He went in to be the Food and Beverage Director for one of the high end hotels, with a couple of high end restaurants in town. It was one of my proudest moments in cooking school.

pat

We've been to Whole Hog, once, right before everything locked down. Thought they were decent and would go back. For some reason I thought they were a chain out of Idaho.

County Line was our go to for BBQ until service issues. Been a couple years but remember the prices being more Rudy's level than say steakhouse level but it has been awhile.

Didn't realize Blake's had changed their meat. Weird story: last time we tried going to Blake's, the new one on 550, they actually had run out of hamburger and were down to hot dog's. Early into the lockdown and suspect the supply chain had crashed on them.

When life gets back to normal, hope a lot of the independents survive. Not BBQ but would hate to lose places like Two Fools or the Columbian place by UNM...

UNM1136
02-23-2021, 04:25 AM
Whole Hog might be a chain from elsewhere. Maybe I fell for their decor...Their website is kinda poorly done, but if I read it right the only non NM reference to doing business is a trailer concession in Arkansas. All references to restaurant service is ABQ and Santa Fe. They even appear to be exclusively using Pecan to smoke Memphis Style BBQ with. Depending on the year, NM leads the country in pecan production.

I drop into Rudy's a couple times a month for breakfast tacos. And once every couple of months for a smoked potato filled with brisket and sausage for lunch.

Stripes Biscuit Company seems to be gone. The wife and I were trying to work our way through their menu. Stripes Burrito Company is going strong opening more locations and extending hours at current locations. Hands down we prefer their burritos to Twisters every day of the week. They are what Twisters used to be. Thier chicken sandwich is claimed to be the best in the city, and I can't think of one better. Or as good. Blakes introduced two sandwiches to compete, and it was no contest. Stripes is currently my second favorite breakfast burrito in town, and I have it far more often than my favorite due to cost.

pat

rob_s
02-23-2021, 06:26 AM
Great, now I’m going to have two bbq threads to follow here, one for cooking and one for eating someone else’s cooking!

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?25418-Outdoor-Cooking-(smoking-grilling-barbecuing-open-spit-etc-)/page16

JclInAtx
02-23-2021, 08:52 AM
Tempting, but there's nothing here worth smoking. Good, BBQ worthy meat is hard to get in the Highlands, as is any kind of wood useful for smoking.

I smoke chickens and make homemade stock with the carcasses. It adds a nice flavor to some of the family favorites like gumbo, Jambalaya, and tortilla soup.

Charcoal works just fine for smoking - not sure if that's any more accessible than a good hardwood?

DamonL
02-23-2021, 09:04 AM
Where?

In DC, the Federalist Pig and Hill Country BBQ are good.

In North Carolina, Skylight Inn, Wilber's, and Parkers are pretty good Carolina BBQ.

RoyGBiv
02-23-2021, 09:17 AM
I smoke chickens and make homemade stock with the carcasses. It adds a nice flavor to some of the family favorites like gumbo, Jambalaya, and tortilla soup.

Charcoal works just fine for smoking - not sure if that's any more accessible than a good hardwood?

Unless you're close to one of the yellow lines, I'm guessing that any kind of commercially processed goods would be hard to find. I can point you to instructions on how to make a smoker from a galvanized trash can, but it sounds like even the trash can would be difficult to source if you're in the PNG outback. I figured good meat and wood would be available. Pigs grow anywhere. Apparently not.

RoyGBiv
02-23-2021, 01:51 PM
Fired up the flat top for lunch. Kroger had some shredded buffalo chicken breast on Wahoo sale. Added some spicy Hunan fry sauce and threw in some on-hand caramelized onions/adobo/poblano/shiitake/garlic mix at the end to reheat and mix. Tossed a pile on a toasted Dave's 21 grain burger bun (which are excellent), pickle slices and Tabasco Sriracha.

Delish.

Forgot to take a picture... :o

Joe in PNG
02-23-2021, 03:14 PM
Charcoal is also difficult to find here. It is a third world country, and the supply chain is a bit iffy at the best of times, and sanitary practices can be non-existent.

And while live pigs are available locally, the custom is to feed them on fish meal, which means you get some really fishy tasting pork. Heck, even the beef & poultry can have a bit of a fishy taste sometimes. The better quality meat is sourced out of the coastal cities, but that's a whole nother can of worms.

As we say on a regular basis, it is what it is.

RoyGBiv
02-23-2021, 03:55 PM
File under FWIW BBQ recommendations....

These buns from Dave's Killer Bread are EXCELLENT. Great flavor, healthier than white, lower calorie than white (140 each) and way heartier than white. They hold up WAY better to sauces and juicy meats than any white bun I've tried. And I like the texture of the multi-seeded exterior, YMMV on that.

If you're looking for something that will stand up better to a juicy pulled pork sandwich (with slaw and vinegar sauce, dammit! :p), worth a try.

https://images.freshop.com/00013764028265/2610933f8074858c04310730bc979212_large.png

mtnbkr
02-23-2021, 05:29 PM
File under FWIW BBQ recommendations....

These buns from Dave's Killer Bread are EXCELLENT. Great flavor, healthier than white, lower calorie than white (140 each) and way heartier than white. They hold up WAY better to sauces and juicy meats than any white bun I've tried. And I like the texture of the multi-seeded exterior, YMMV on that.

If you're looking for something that will stand up better to a juicy pulled pork sandwich (with slaw and vinegar sauce, dammit! :p), worth a try.

https://images.freshop.com/00013764028265/2610933f8074858c04310730bc979212_large.png

DKB is great stuff. It's my bread of choice when I get a choice.

Chris

mtnbkr
02-23-2021, 05:38 PM
While not proper BBQ, we learned of this recipe the other night and gave it a try. BBQ or not, it's good. It's from Food Network's The Kitchen.

Crock Pot Peanut Butter BBQ
2-3lb pork butt
Cumin (don't recall exact amount, but you need 1 tablespoon for the marinade, so call it 2 total)
Salt & Pepper to taste
1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
14oz jar of salsa

Rub yo' butt with half the cumin*, salt, and pepper. Wrap in saran wrap and stick in fridge overnight.
Next morning, put the pork butt in the crock pot
mix remaining cumin, peanut butter, and salsa until smooth, then pour over pork in crock pot
Cook on low for 8hrs

Once done, remove and shred meat (we used a kitchen-aid mixer because we're lazy).
Stir up remaining liquid to emulsify fat. Mix some with shredded meat to taste.

Serve in any manner you'd typically serve BBQ. BTW, this stuff's great the next day, even cold.

*We subbed Larue Dillo Dust for the cumin used as the dry rub, but still put cumin in the marinade. Why? Because it was there.

The original recipe called for a 4-5lb butt and twice the measurements for the other ingredients. It's not rocket science, adjust up or down depending on the size of yo' butt.

Chris

JAD
02-23-2021, 05:50 PM
DKB is great stuff. It's my bread of choice when I get a choice.

Chris

DKB is our regular too... but putting barbecue on whole grain is fucked up. It goes on cheap white bread.

http://www.romabakerykc.com/

RoyGBiv
02-23-2021, 06:49 PM
DKB is our regular too... but putting barbecue on whole grain is fucked up. It goes on cheap white bread.

http://www.romabakerykc.com/

Hipster fail, Boomer. :D

You probably hate IPAs too? So do I.

JAD
02-23-2021, 07:11 PM
Hipster fail, Boomer. :D

You probably hate IPAs too? So do I.

If I drank (I’m a terrible Catholic) it would be the mead of my people.

RoyGBiv
02-23-2021, 07:23 PM
If I drank (I’m a terrible Catholic) it would be the mead of my people.

#BrothersInBBQ

rob_s
02-27-2021, 08:07 PM
Pretty much beat batch of salmon yet.

Went really well with the homemade bread, venison sausage, and poke nachos...

rob_s
02-27-2021, 09:23 PM
Dang it I posted in the wrong thread!

If some mod can move it to the other one or just delete entirely that’d be great. It’s too late for me to edit it.

RoyGBiv
02-28-2021, 06:46 AM
Dang it I posted in the wrong thread!

If some mod can move it to the other one or just delete entirely that’d be great. It’s too late for me to edit it.

If I had a vote, I'd vote for a merge. Salmon looks great Rob. :cool: