PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 44 SPL Quinn Revolver

Tokarev
02-18-2021, 06:12 AM
Ruger has just released this Jeff Quinn commerative model GP100:

https://ruger.com/products/gp100/specSheets/1788.html

I like the cleaner more classic lines of the half underlug. The grips looks good too. I would have preferred something in stainless steel from a hiking/fishing/camping perspective but I still like what Ruger has done here.

I might have to get one of these.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

spyderco monkey
02-18-2021, 07:33 AM
Huge fan of Jeff Quinn. I grew up reading his articles, and Gunblast is still one of my go-to's for looking at firearms reviews. One of the only sources that does a complete chronograph rundown.

And the revolver looks great:

https://ruger.com/productImages/1788/detail/2.jpg

Trigger specs look great as well:

https://gunblast.com/Ruger-JQGP100.htm

Sadly, I have zero interest in .44 Special.

Would have loved to see the 7 Shot .357 GP100 in this configuration.

Tokarev
02-18-2021, 07:46 AM
Huge fan of Jeff Quinn. I grew up reading his articles, and Gunblast is still one of my go-to's for looking at firearms reviews. One of the only sources that does a complete chronograph rundown.

And the revolver looks great:

https://ruger.com/productImages/1788/detail/2.jpg

Trigger specs look great as well:

https://gunblast.com/Ruger-JQGP100.htm

Would have loved to see the 7 Shot .357 GP100 in this configuration.I believe Jeff was one of the guy's who had been pestering Ruger for the GP100/44 back when they did the 3" stainless gun. I think it is quite fitting for the memorial edition to be chambered in 44.

All GP100s should have the half underlug from here on out....

Stephanie B
02-18-2021, 08:13 AM
Oh, jeez, I did not need to see this.

HeavyDuty
02-18-2021, 08:15 AM
A lot to like about this one, but an unfluted cylinder in .44 Special? Style over practicality...

That said, swap out the rear for a Bowen Rough Country (the front gold bead is already my preference) and some different stocks, and this would be really, really close to ideal for me.

jetfire
02-18-2021, 08:16 AM
/faints

Oh lawd the half-underlug with that unfluted cylinder. I need a second because holy shit that gun looks great

Tokarev
02-18-2021, 08:21 AM
I have been half toying with the idea of getting one of the blued 5" guns and sending it to Bowen to have the action tuned, Rough Country sights installed and the barrel shortened to four inches. But the Quinn gun would be a better candidate since it would not need the $250 barrel shortening job. That's assuming the Quinn model is priced like its counterpart.

Tokarev
02-18-2021, 08:27 AM
Here's the Gunblast Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLm7uhpd3H0&feature=emb_title

Oops. Sorry spyderco monkey I see you already linked above.

HeavyDuty
02-18-2021, 08:55 AM
I get the feeling they could easily sell 1/4 of the entire special run here at P-F...

SCCY Marshal
02-18-2021, 08:58 AM

The year is 2023: ammo shelves long barren and mouldering, security teargassing the queue to prevent further knife fights over the latest slim powder delivery, it does little good as the triple masks and goggles worn against the Moldovan variant reduce the effect of the gas, more blood on the pavement, others scuttling about town collecting piss bottles and lump charcoal to process their own black powder, lead a precious commodity.

While GLOCKs have long been demilled as children's toys, you step out into the world. The fat bullets won't shrink, flat meplats increase effect over round nose, softness of pure range scrap lead hand shoveled from the berm a perk, olive oil based grease recipe working just fine to soften the fouling from the black powder substitute found ignored in the corner of a much raided gun shop, the fat cases easy to find on the ground and load with the coarse powder, enough volume to drive those soft cast pills hard enough.

Weight from the unfluted cylinder useful after your fifth shot spent in defense of the toilet tissue under your vest which you are trying to smuggle to one of your dead drops in trade for black market ivermectin. But now the rear corner at the heel of your stocks has been chipped off on a skull, again. Better to swing the empty gun and draw the Ka-Bar than carelessly shuck your brass upon the ground. No pausing to recover after this ambuscade. You must keep moving. Can reload with retention if you can just make it to the seclusion of the burnt-out Wendy's.

And think about a safe route back to your compound. The mission is off now that you've been made. Did your contact burn you? Is the deap drop still secret or must you work to find a new one? Trick question, you are always looking for new ones...

HeavyDuty
02-18-2021, 09:04 AM
The year is 2023: ammo shelves long barren and mouldering, security teargassing the queue to prevent further knife fights over the latest slim powder delivery, it does little good as the triple masks and goggles worn against the Moldovan variant reduce the effect of the gas, more blood on the pavement, others scuttling about town collecting piss bottles and lump charcoal to process their own black powder, lead a precious commodity.

While GLOCKs have long been demilled as children's toys, you step out into the world. The fat bullets won't shrink, flat meplats increase effect over round nose, softness of pure range scrap lead hand shoveled from the berm a perk, olive oil based grease recipe working just fine to soften the fouling from the black powder substitute found ignored in the corner of a much raided gun shop, the fat cases easy to find on the ground and load with the coarse powder, enough volume to drive those soft cast pills hard enough.

Weight from the unfluted cylinder useful after your fifth shot spent in defense of the toilet tissue under your vest which you are trying to smuggle to one of your dead drops in trade for black market ivermectin. But now the rear corner at the heel of your stocks has been chipped off on a skull, again. Better to swing the empty gun and draw the Ka-Bar than carelessly shuck your brass upon the ground. No pausing to recover after this ambuscade. You must keep moving. Can reload with retention if you can just make it to the seclusion of the burnt-out Wendy's.

And think about a safe route back to your compound. The mission is off now that you've been made. Did your contact burn you? Is the deap drop still secret or must you work to find a new one? Trick question, you are always looking for new ones...

Prophecy...

Totem Polar
02-18-2021, 10:57 AM
I get the feeling they could easily sell 1/4 of the entire special run here at P-F...

Yeah... I’m feeling this one, myself.

RevolverRob
02-18-2021, 11:44 AM
So - should we ask Hansohn Brothers to contact Lipsey's and procure 8 or 10 of these for P-F members?

Because I see interest for a half-dozen of them right here (myself included). Then we can all order from Hansohn and have them shipped to our local FFLs for pickup, nice and easy.

jetfire
02-18-2021, 12:22 PM
I'm in for at least one

HeavyDuty
02-18-2021, 12:38 PM
So tempting, despite that unfluted cylinder... but I think I need to sit this one out. Hopefully that half lugged 4” barrel will make an entry in the regular line, and in stainless.

claymore504
02-18-2021, 12:53 PM
Well done on Ruger coming out with this GP100 for Jeff!

SCCY Marshal
02-18-2021, 12:58 PM
So tempting, despite that unfluted cylinder... but I think I need to sit this one out. Hopefully that half lugged 4” barrel will make an entry in the regular line, and in stainless.

Make it a pinto with fluted stainless cylinder, barrel, pins, and cylinder release.

Borderland
02-18-2021, 01:28 PM
4" is the best barrel length for this revolver. I have a 625-8 (45 APC) and the 4" balance is perfect.

I'm not a 44 spl. reloader but it should work with about 10 different fast powders. You won't have a problem finding a powder that works.

These will sell out FAST.

Tokarev
02-18-2021, 02:08 PM
You won't have a problem finding a powder that works.

There is a ton of load data out there depending on what a person wants to do. Light target loads or loads that are pushing 44 Mag performance are all out there.

With that said, much of the data is from decades ago. Powders like Unique and 2400 are easy to find data. Maybe not so much with stuff like 572 or BE86.

Something to keep in mind is old data for 2400 and some stuff may be outdated as powders occasionally get "improved" by the manufacturer.

03RN
02-18-2021, 02:40 PM
There is a ton of load data out there depending on what a person wants to do. Light target loads or loads that are pushing 44 Mag performance are all out there.

With that said, much of the data is from decades ago. Powders like Unique and 2400 are easy to find data. Maybe not so much with stuff like 572 or BE86.

Something to keep in mind is old data for 2400 and some stuff may be outdated as powders occasionally get "improved" by the manufacturer.

Ive heard that. Ive also heard that If they change it in any way than the name needs to change.

Hansohn Brothers
02-18-2021, 02:47 PM
So - should we ask Hansohn Brothers to contact Lipsey's and procure 8 or 10 of these for P-F members?

Because I see interest for a half-dozen of them right here (myself included). Then we can all order from Hansohn and have them shipped to our local FFLs for pickup, nice and easy.
Sure, why not. Now getting that many could be problematic since I don't move a lot of firearms and very few from Lipseys. I'll give it a go regardless! :cool:

RevolverRob
02-18-2021, 02:53 PM

Man, if even that dork jetfire is getting one - you need one. I mean you don't want to be less cool than Caleb, right? :eek:

RevolverRob
02-18-2021, 02:58 PM
Sure, why not. Now getting that many could be problematic since I don't move a lot of firearms and very few from Lipseys. I'll give it a go regardless! :cool:

So, we have Caleb and me for sure -

Tokarev
Stephanie B
Totem Polar
Hizzie
HeavyDuty (you know you want it...)

Tokarev
02-18-2021, 03:07 PM
Ive heard that. Ive also heard that If they change it in any way than the name needs to change.You'd hope that would be the case although a change in country of origin/actual producer may result in a modified burning rate.

I guess all the more reason to check multiple manuals and work loads up with an eye on caution.

Probably not ever talked about but I wonder how many old guns Elmer blew up when we was developing his hot 44 loads.

Hizzie
02-18-2021, 03:11 PM

Tokarev
Stephanie B
Totem Polar
Hizzie

I don’t need another caliber. I don’t need another caliber. I don’t need another caliber. I don’t need another caliber.
Beautiful piece but not really my cup of tea. I’m hoping for a 4.2” Super GP100 in 44 magnum.

RevolverRob
02-18-2021, 03:11 PM
I don’t need another caliber. I don’t need another caliber. I don’t need another caliber. I don’t need another caliber.
Beautiful piece but not really my cup of tea. I’m hoping for a 4.2” Super GP100 in 44 magnum.

.44 Special can be loaded in .44 Magnum....:p

Stephanie B
02-18-2021, 03:12 PM

Tokarev
Stephanie B
Totem Polar
Hizzie

Put them on @RevoverRob 's tab, too! :rolleyes:

Stephanie B
02-18-2021, 03:14 PM

Tokarev
Stephanie B
Totem Polar
Hizzie

Put them on RevolverRob 's tab, too! :rolleyes:

Hansohn Brothers
02-18-2021, 03:15 PM
Consider it done! ;)

HeavyDuty
02-18-2021, 03:40 PM
Man, if even that dork jetfire is getting one - you need one. I mean you don't want to be less cool than Caleb, right? :eek:

Awwww, dude... I’d never be that cool.

Borderland
02-18-2021, 04:22 PM

Looks like he's buying a round. Set em up bar keep.

Tokarev
02-18-2021, 04:27 PM
I’m hoping for a 4.2” Super GP100 in 44 magnum.

Smith does the 5-shot M69 that is an L Frame.

Ruger could at least do a 5-shot 41 Mag. Maybe even a 6-shot if there's room on the cylinder for all those rims to clear each other.

Stephanie B
02-18-2021, 04:46 PM
On the other hand, I've never been much interested in paying the premium for "1 of XXX Guns".

RevolverRob
02-18-2021, 05:08 PM
When I hit the lotto I'm gonna be the Oprah of Revolvers. Until then, you guys will have to pay for your own wheelies, sorry dudes, dudettes, and all non-binary identifying duderinos.

Hansohn Brothers - I'll hit you guys up for my order and I suggest jetfire do the same if he isn't going through his local crack dealer.

md8232
02-18-2021, 05:29 PM
Are y’all gonna get the cylinders cut for moon clips?

Hizzie
02-18-2021, 05:36 PM

Ruger could at least do a 5-shot 41 Mag. Maybe even a 6-shot if there's room on the cylinder for all those rims to clear each other.

Man I LOVE the SRH Alaskan in 44 Magnum. I just wish it had a more useful barrel length. I don’t enjoy hot 125gr 357 magnum in the L frame. I doubt I’d enjoy 44 magnum.

Borderland
02-18-2021, 05:39 PM
Are y’all gonna get the cylinders cut for moon clips?

I had to think about that for a few seconds. I think it's a trick question. :D

spyderco monkey
02-18-2021, 06:56 PM

This is one of the best things I've read on the internet / now I am interested in .44spl.

Borderland
02-18-2021, 08:01 PM
This is one of the best things I've read on the internet / now I am interested in .44spl.

That's just pulp fiction. He probably writes with a nom de plume. Don't get carried away. :D

HeavyDuty
02-18-2021, 08:04 PM

Man I LOVE the SRH Alaskan in 44 Magnum. I just wish it had a more useful barrel length. I don’t enjoy hot 125gr 357 magnum in the L frame. I doubt I’d enjoy 44 magnum.

It does feel good to lay off the Magnums, but it’s a a pussycat with Specials. I’m saving nickel plated Magnum brass to reload lighter - I want to prevent those nasty cylinder carbon rings.

Borderland
02-18-2021, 08:12 PM
It does feel good to lay off the Magnums, but it’s a a pussycat with Specials. I’m saving nickel plated Magnum brass to reload lighter - I want to prevent those nasty cylinder carbon rings.

I do the same thing with .357 to shoot my M19's. 800 fps with a magnum case. How's that for wimpy, limp wrist shooting? I shot a friends 44 mag Anaconda with factory ammo. The muzzle flip was exciting. I had some 44 spl ammo and it was pleasant.

If I'm not careful I'm going to talk myself into a 44 spl revolver with all heartache of finding bullets and dies to load it. I think I would rather have a 44 mag and load it down. Dirty Harry would not approve.

Borderland
02-18-2021, 08:41 PM
When I hit the lotto I'm gonna be the Oprah of Revolvers. Until then, you guys will have to pay for your own wheelies, sorry dudes, dudettes, and all non-binary identifying duderinos.

Hansohn Brothers - I'll hit you guys up for my order and I suggest jetfire do the same if he isn't going through his local crack dealer.

Are you going to have your own line of revolvers for mega bucks and tell people to hit the pawn shops for really good deals? I love that down and out Rodeo Drive bitch.

HeavyDuty
02-18-2021, 09:36 PM
I do the same thing with .357 to shoot my M19's. 800 fps with a magnum case. How's that for wimpy, limp wrist shooting? I shot a friends 44 mag Anaconda with factory ammo. The muzzle flip was exciting. I had some 44 spl ammo and it was pleasant.

If I'm not careful I'm going to talk myself into a 44 spl revolver with all heartache of finding bullets and dies to load it. I think I would rather have a 44 mag and load it down. Dirty Harry would not approve.

My use case for the 69 was woods tromping in northern WI and the UP of MI, so I wanted Magnums for that. But I’m not a masochist the rest of the time.

Stephanie B
02-18-2021, 09:40 PM
Honestly, if I could get any .44, I’d rather have a 4” or 5” Model 24 or a 4” Model 21. The 4” Model 69 is interesting. So is the GP.100.

But still, I’d prefer six over five.

Borderland
02-18-2021, 09:49 PM
My use case for the 69 was woods tromping in northern WI and the UP of MI, so I wanted Magnums for that. But I’m not a masochist the rest of the time.

It does have a certain amount of utility. My friend hiked and fished the rivers in AK for many years. Originally purchased for SD in the AK bush. It's a beautiful revolver and worth 3x what he paid for. When I told him what it was worth he was shocked.

Borderland
02-18-2021, 09:52 PM
Honestly, if I could get any .44, I’d rather have a 4” or 5” Model 24 or a 4” Model 21. The 4” Model 69 is interesting. So is the GP.100.

Purist. :D

Tokarev
02-18-2021, 10:34 PM
I think I would rather have a 44 mag and load it down. Dirty Harry would not approve.

Harry used a light Special load. At least for target practice.

https://youtu.be/Gs8AqzN9Ga4

ECVMatt
02-19-2021, 12:46 AM
Part of me wishes this gun was chambered in .41 Special.

spyderco monkey
02-19-2021, 12:48 AM
Something I hadn't noticed when I watched Magnum Force as a movie - the targets:

https://i.ibb.co/R6z7tzW/Screen-Shot-2021-02-18-at-9-45-08-PM.png

Was it SOP in those days to train for gutshots? That would be a interesting way to enhance psychological stops in a pre-JHP era.

BarryinIN
02-19-2021, 02:39 AM

I think you're looking at it wrong.
Try this: If you get a .44 Spl, do you need those other calibers?

Stephanie B
02-19-2021, 08:13 AM
Part of me wishes this gun was chambered in .41 Special.

Let's call it the .41 Ruger Special. AFAIK, it's not a SAAMI-designated cartridge, so if people can persuade Ruger to name it after their company, maybe they'll make the gun.

jetfire
02-19-2021, 08:18 AM

This is why I roll with 10mm for sixguns

SCCY Marshal
02-19-2021, 08:22 AM
https://i.ibb.co/R6z7tzW/Screen-Shot-2021-02-18-at-9-45-08-PM.png

Was it SOP in those days to train for gutshots? That would be a interesting way to enhance psychological stops in a pre-JHP era.

Yes. There is an article on the nearest bookshelf debating the Big Switch. Could make a thread seeded with some clopped sbippets and try baiting some members who were around at the time. It was a combination of the hop-level point shooting and, leter when aimed fire was common, institutional inertia plus theory it would reduce wild misses over high center chest. There was a logic to both and the article was quite balanced with a measured cokparison boyh among novices and trained hands.

Stephanie B
02-19-2021, 08:23 AM

Purist. :D

Yeah, well....

Stephanie B
02-19-2021, 08:26 AM

10mm autorim? .40 S&W autorim? That could effectively get us the .41 Special.

Those interested can ask Starline (https://www.starlinebrass.com/contact/) to make the brass. The point might be made that there are factory guns already for shooting it.

jetfire
02-19-2021, 09:04 AM

Those interested can ask Starline (https://www.starlinebrass.com/contact/) to make the brass. The point might be made that there are factory guns already for shooting it.

I mean just regular old 10mm, I like saying "clips"

Bergeron
02-19-2021, 09:32 AM
Hamilton Bowen's website offers Python barrels on GP100 frames, and he suggests that a 10mm done in that fashion would be a nice piece.

Crazy Dane
02-19-2021, 10:02 AM
So - should we ask @Hansohn Brothers (https://pistol-forum.com/member.php?u=12052) to contact Lipsey's and procure 8 or 10 of these for P-F members?

As long as the cost is reasonable, I'm in for one. I'll ask for forgiveness later.

revolvergeek
02-19-2021, 11:38 AM
I am very eager to get my hands on one of these. Looks perfect. I even have a little SDM gold bead brand new in its little baggy that has been looking for a home! Add gold bead, bob hammer, change to my old pair of Pach Compacs (the wood grips would be put up for days when someone would see it) and done.

You know, I would have laughed if 10 years ago you had told me that Ruger would be making all the hot stuff and I would be lining up to buy their guns new as fast as I could, but a pile of New Model Flat Tops, Single Sevens, LCPs, .44 spl GP 100s later....

RevolverRob
02-19-2021, 11:59 AM
Okay so I've got:

RevolverRob
jetfire
Crazy Dane
revolvergeek

Totem Polar - Come on buddy those new lenses need a gold bead front sight and .44s

That would be 1% of this entire run allocated to P-Fers (if we convince Totem to pull the trigger).

HeavyDuty
02-19-2021, 12:24 PM
I am very eager to get my hands on one of these. Looks perfect. I even have a little SDM gold bead brand new in its little baggy that has been looking for a home! Add gold bead, bob hammer, change to my old pair of Pach Compacs (the wood grips would be put up for days when someone would see it) and done.

You know, I would have laughed if 10 years ago you had told me that Ruger would be making all the hot stuff and I would be lining up to buy their guns new as fast as I could, but a pile of New Model Flat Tops, Single Sevens, LCPs, .44 spl GP 100s later....

I think this already has a gold bead front, even.

OlongJohnson
02-19-2021, 01:26 PM
Let's call it the .41 Ruger Special. AFAIK, it's not a SAAMI-designated cartridge, so if people can persuade Ruger to name it after their company, maybe they'll make the gun.

They'll only go for it if Hornady tells them it's their idea.

Back on my usual hobbyhorse, did anyone else notice the atrocious surface finish on the back of the cylinder at 15:18 in the video? It's some classic bad machining. Wrong speed, wrong tool, dull or chipped insert. Something seriously not right.

https://youtu.be/dLm7uhpd3H0?t=919

Would make me sad every time I saw it if I got one like that.

Stephanie B
02-19-2021, 01:45 PM

I mean just regular old 10mm, I like saying "clips"

What I like about revolvers is that I don't need anything besides the gun and the cartridges to make them go bang. No clips, magazines or any of that tomfoolery.

Jim Watson
02-19-2021, 01:49 PM
I am like Stephanie, I am pretty much a sixshooter type. If it only holds five, it should fit a pocket.

While I do have .44 dies and brass, I had rather have a .45 for which I have a dedicated Dillon. S&W made a .45 ACP/AR 'Springfield Armory Commemorative" with tapered barrel on the 1950/Mountain Gun pattern that would do nicely, a bit lighter than my sawn off M25 IDPA revolver.

Failing that, I have data for 200 gr .357 from 800 - 1050 fps that would scratch any new heavy bullet revolver itch and work from a lot more different guns.

"Ive heard that. Ive also heard that If they change it in any way than the name needs to change."

Powder company speaks with forked tongue.
Hodgdon, now controlling WW, IMR, Western, Accurate, and own brand powders has done a lot of shuffling of their portfolio. They put the same name or number on powders while changing sources even as the powder mills change locations and formulations. They want that brand recognition but caveat "use current data."

03RN
02-19-2021, 02:18 PM
I am like Stephanie, I am pretty much a sixshooter type. If it only holds five, it should fit a pocket.

While I do have .44 dies and brass, I had rather have a .45 for which I have a dedicated Dillon. S&W made a .45 ACP/AR 'Springfield Armory Commemorative" with tapered barrel on the 1950/Mountain Gun pattern that would do nicely, a bit lighter than my sawn off M25 IDPA revolver.

Failing that, I have data for 200 gr .357 from 800 - 1050 fps that would scratch any new heavy bullet revolver itch and work from a lot more different guns.

"Ive heard that. Ive also heard that If they change it in any way than the name needs to change."

Powder company speaks with forked tongue.
Hodgdon, now controlling WW, IMR, Western, Accurate, and own brand powders has done a lot of shuffling of their portfolio. They put the same name or number on powders while changing sources even as the powder mills change locations and formulations. They want that brand recognition but caveat "use current data."

There's a local shop that has a m25 mountain gun. Its $1200 so outside my budget but Ive certainly fantasized about selling a case of 556 for it:o

revolvergeek
02-19-2021, 03:08 PM

Hmmmm Lipsey's is roughly 8 miles from where I am sitting right now..... :cool: Timing isn't great on this one though. Just bought a bunch of new toys.

Totem Polar
02-19-2021, 03:57 PM
Okay so I've got:

RevolverRob
jetfire
Crazy Dane
revolvergeek

Totem Polar - Come on buddy those new lenses need a gold bead front sight and .44s

That would be 1% of this entire run allocated to P-Fers (if we convince Totem to pull the trigger).

This gun is a real looker—and is bound to be collectible. That said, I’m out: I’ve owned a pile of .44special revolvers, and I always ends up selling them to a reloader during a fit of “caliber consolidation” on my end.

Plus, I just stopped by my favorite magic, cornucopia, mom n pop LGS on the way home from getting a rock chip repair on my windshield, and they had just put out a nice, 2.75” Ruger Speed Six. For 4 bills OTD. I’ll be sure to post pics when it passes out of my state’s byzantine background check process.
:cool:

OlongJohnson
02-19-2021, 04:04 PM
Video from Jason @ Lipsey's. Don't remember whether it was linked earlier, but here it is again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g2LAVvUunA

Rick R
02-19-2021, 04:25 PM

Yes! The GP-100 would be awesome in .41 Special!

That’s what’s on my hip right now.

Rick R
02-19-2021, 04:29 PM
10mm autorim?

I already have spoken to Starline. They’ll make it but the minimum order was a bit out of my budget, something like 50,000.

spyderco monkey
02-20-2021, 03:01 AM

Well, whats interesting is that none other then Jeff Quinn had the 10mm GP100 rechambered in 10mm Magnum, which is pretty close to .41 magnum.

https://i.redd.it/y02xesq0ca641.jpg

https://gunblast.com/Ruger-GP100MC-10mm.htm

I sent it off to Tyler Gun Works in Texas to have the chambers lengthened to 10mm Magnum specifications. The 10mm Magnum is a stretched 10mm Auto case. It is longer, but all other dimensions are the same. The 10mm Magnum case is nominally .258 inch longer than the 10mm Auto case, which gives approximately one-quarter inch more room for powder! More powder equals more speed, and the 10mm Magnum can best the 10mm Auto velocities by between 150 to 300 feet-per-second (FPS), depending upon the bullet chosen. The longer case will also accommodate heavier bullets, if that is the preference. Using the moon clips provided with the GP-100, the revolver can now fire 40 Smith & Wesson, 10mm Auto, and 10mm Magnum ammunition.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/reloading/566341-gp100-10-mm-10-mm-mag-conversion.html

Full load, per Quickload, puts the 10mm Magnum with 200gr @ 1400-1500fps from a 6" barrel (~ equivalent to a 4.2" revolver barrel + 1.59" cylinder). This is comparable to a 200gr .41 mganum load.

https://i.imgur.com/jJV7Q6b.png

Ideally, Ruger could come out with the '.40 Magnum' or 'Ruger .400 Magnum' to make this a factory revolver.

Take the 10mm Magnum case, lengthen it from 1.255" to 1.290" (same case length as .357 and .41 mag) and slap a rim on it. Pressure could either be standard 10mm Auto/Magnum 37kpsi, or ideally, bump it up to 45kpsi ala .327 Federal.

This cartridge would be a very attractive magnum. 200gr @ 1400fps+ from a 4.2" GP100, with ability to fire 40s&w and 10mm using moonclips as 'specials.'

Bucky
02-20-2021, 06:23 AM

Or at least make it an option.

mtnbkr
02-20-2021, 06:44 AM
There's a local shop that has a m25 mountain gun. Its $1200 so outside my budget but Ive certainly fantasized about selling a case of 556 for it:o

Unless it's your last case, I'd do that. Ammo's a consumable, you'll always be buying more. Eventually the price will come back down. That MG will probably never get cheaper and may become near unobtanium over time (they're not making more).

To be honest, I think I like low pressure 45s in an N-frame more than 44cals. Even though it has the dreaded hole, I really like shooting my 625. I also have a 25 in 45Colt that's a hoot, but it's a bit too pretty to take it out often. The 625, with its stainless construction and facial blemish is much more "usable".

Chris

Tokarev
02-20-2021, 07:36 AM
With the discussion of theoretical cartridges and stuff we want Ruger to make; I am going to plug my idea for a medium frame LCR.

The new gun would really be nothing more than the current LCR swelled up to make it something similar in size to the bygone Security Six. With the accompanying bigger cylinder, Ruger would chamber the gun in 44 Special and rate it for the nonexistent 44 Special +P.

I have said in other threads that the 44 really does need a SAAMI pressure update. I'm not talking about a huge increase but rather a mild one. Maybe bump it up to 21.5K or so.

Partner with Hornady on the ammo and introduce a flex lock bullet in the 180-200 grain range. Something with a bit more mass than the shallow penetrating 165 gr Critical Defense.

The new gun and ammo would be a modern day version of the Charter Arms Bulldog. Light, easy to carry yet powerful and useful for backpacking, fishing, and personal defense.

The new LCR would also be available as a 6-shooter in 357 and a 7-shooter in 327. This way Ruger would have a 5, 6 and 7 lineup.

2.5 or 3" barrels would be used throughout. The top strap would be beefy enough for a Novak rear ala Wiley Clapp and the metal bits would be nitride treated and/or stainless steel.

In essence it would be a polymer frame version of this. But with a shrouded hammer:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210220/9b4a654063669e6572a8d8afd2b836d9.jpg

Jim Watson
02-20-2021, 12:17 PM
I agree, there has to be some real sharp pencil thinking at Ruger to keep them from making a "MCR." Don't want to compete with their own iron guns, I assume.

As far as new intermediate calibers, there already is, or was, a 10mm Rimmed. They called it the .401 Herter's Powermag.

A gunzine writer with connections at USFA got them to make him a SAA with .41 Long Colt chambers, but .386" throats and groove to take an inside lubed flat base bullet like everybody else.

Tokarev
02-20-2021, 12:26 PM
Don't want to compete with their own iron guns, I assume.

Maybe although there's already plenty of cross contamination between the LCR and SP101.

Totem Polar
02-20-2021, 12:39 PM
With the discussion of theoretical cartridges and stuff we want Ruger to make; I am going to plug my idea for a medium frame LCR.

Not to harsh on your post, but I can assure you that *numerous* P-f’ers have had the same idea over the years, because it’s an actual “common sense” solution.

Tokarev
02-20-2021, 12:51 PM
Not to harsh on your post, but I can assure you that *numerous* P-f’ers have had the same idea over the years, because it’s an actual “common sense” solution.I throw in my thoughts on the theoretical medium frame in pretty much every LCR/Ruger revolver thread. I've emailed the CEO several times as well.

Hopefully eventually enough people will do the same and Ruger will make it.

JTMcC
02-20-2021, 12:52 PM
I agree, there has to be some real sharp pencil thinking at Ruger to keep them from making a "MCR." Don't want to compete with their own iron guns, I assume.

As far as new intermediate calibers, there already is, or was, a 10mm Rimmed. They called it the .401 Herter's Powermag.

A gunzine writer with connections at USFA got them to make him a SAA with .41 Long Colt chambers, but .386" throats and groove to take an inside lubed flat base bullet like everybody else.

In that same caliber range G. Reeder has some pretty hard hitters but the audience for them is very small.
41 GNR #2 is the most over the top (255's at 2200 fps claimed), and needs a stretched revolver frame or a single shot. The shorter versions are still stout but fit more normal cylinders. I'm tempted to have a Blackhawk rechambered to 356 GNR.

More on track, Mr. Quinn did a lot for Ruger popularity and it's nice that Ruger built that tribute gun. I swapped some emails with him about some very early Ruger collectables and he seemed like a nice and helpful guy.

Borderland
02-20-2021, 12:59 PM
This gun is a real looker—and is bound to be collectible. That said, I’m out: I’ve owned a pile of .44special revolvers, and I always ends up selling them to a reloader during a fit of “caliber consolidation” on my end.

Plus, I just stopped by my favorite magic, cornucopia, mom n pop LGS on the way home from getting a rock chip repair on my windshield, and they had just put out a nice, 2.75” Ruger Speed Six. For 4 bills OTD. I’ll be sure to post pics when it passes out of my state’s byzantine background check process.
:cool:

45 ACP is so close to 44 spl in performance I consolidated around 45 ACP and purchased a 625 for my revolver jones. S&W just took the 625 off of their website and it's out of production, so I'm told. :(

Totem Polar
02-20-2021, 01:03 PM
45 ACP is so close to 44 spl in performance I consolidated around 45 ACP and purchased a 625 for my revolver jones. S&W just took the 625 off of their website and it's out of production, so I'm told. :(

I still have a .45acp/colt convertible Blackhawk for the same reason. Close enough, and easier to feed.

MandoWookie
02-20-2021, 07:30 PM

The new gun would really be nothing more than the current LCR swelled up to make it something similar in size to the bygone Security Six. With the accompanying bigger cylinder, Ruger would chamber the gun in 44 Special and rate it for the nonexistent 44 Special +P.

I have said in other threads that the 44 really does need a SAAMI pressure update. I'm not talking about a huge increase but rather a mild one. Maybe bump it up to 21.5K or so.

Partner with Hornady on the ammo and introduce a flex lock bullet in the 180-200 grain range. Something with a bit more mass than the shallow penetrating 165 gr Critical Defense.

The new gun and ammo would be a modern day version of the Charter Arms Bulldog. Light, easy to carry yet powerful and useful for backpacking, fishing, and personal defense.

The new LCR would also be available as a 6-shooter in 357 and a 7-shooter in 327. This way Ruger would have a 5, 6 and 7 lineup.

2.5 or 3" barrels would be used throughout. The top strap would be beefy enough for a Novak rear ala Wiley Clapp and the metal bits would be nitride treated and/or stainless steel.

In essence it would be a polymer frame version of this. But with a shrouded hammer:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210220/9b4a654063669e6572a8d8afd2b836d9.jpg

+1 to this from me! A modernized Security Six is what I crave. Though I would want an exposed hammer and adjustable sights for a 4 inch version as an option as well.

Borderland
02-20-2021, 08:59 PM
What I like about revolvers is that I don't need anything besides the gun and the cartridges to make them go bang. No clips, magazines or any of that tomfoolery.

Probably why they're still around and in use. I've carried a model 36 off and on for 30 years. I'm not looking to get into a gun fight but I want something better than a blade if I need to buy some time to exit a dangerous situation. I don't think anyone wants to take a round in the chest at 10 ft. I do have other compacts for carry but they're all 10 or less capacity. I never carry a spare mag.

This is a no shit story. I got my permit to carry concealed 30 years ago after getting into a confrontation with some drug dealers in N. Seattle. They pushed me a little too hard one day and I decided I needed to start packing some heat. Funny how gang bangers and drug dealers can always tell someone is packing and may not be a pigeon. Must be body language or something. You choice, door #3. :D

I will defiantly cap your ass if you present a threat and you present the opportunity.

Borderland
02-20-2021, 10:10 PM
Probably why they're still around and in use. I've carried a model 36 off and on for 30 years. I'm not looking to get into a gun fight but I want something better than a blade if I need to buy some time to exit a dangerous situation. I don't think anyone wants to take a round in the chest at 10 ft. I do have other compacts for carry but they're all 10 or less capacity. I never carry a spare mag.

This is a no shit story. I got my permit to carry concealed 30 years ago after getting into a confrontation with some drug dealers in N. Seattle. They pushed me a little too hard one day and I decided I needed to start packing some heat. Funny how gang bangers and drug dealers can always tell someone is packing and may not be a pigeon. Must be body language or something. You choice, door #3. :D

I will defiantly cap your ass if you present a threat and you present the opportunity.

Obviously Not directed at anyone here.

03RN
02-20-2021, 11:12 PM
Unless it's your last case, I'd do that. Ammo's a consumable, you'll always be buying more. Eventually the price will come back down. That MG will probably never get cheaper and may become near unobtanium over time (they're not making more).

To be honest, I think I like low pressure 45s in an N-frame more than 44cals. Even though it has the dreaded hole, I really like shooting my 625. I also have a 25 in 45Colt that's a hoot, but it's a bit too pretty to take it out often. The 625, with its stainless construction and facial blemish is much more "usable".

Chris

Yeah, I just need to find a local who wants to pay a $ per round and I'd do it.

I just hope my son appreciates revolvers more than he needs 556 down the line.

Tokarev
02-21-2021, 04:48 PM
The first sample appears on gunstroker:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/893075858

Stephanie B
02-21-2021, 06:17 PM
$1,500?

The seller can dream on.

Tokarev
02-21-2021, 07:21 PM
$1,500?

The seller can dream on.Yeah that's my thought as well. MSRP is under a Grand.

I realize this is a limited run and all but still

Totem Polar
02-21-2021, 07:40 PM
It’s worth what people will pay for it. There are most def 500 people that will pay over a grand for that gun. I’m not one of them, but that doesn’t change the fact that none of these will be going for $949... which is already apocalyptic lucre for a GP-100.

Stephanie B
02-21-2021, 09:09 PM
I tried to do this on my phone and the result sort of sucks, but you’ll get the general idea.

Borderland
02-21-2021, 09:47 PM
I tried to do this on my phone and the result sort of sucks, but you’ll get the general idea.

I guess this means you wouldn't buy a Dale Earnhardt edition Camaro. :(

Crazy Dane
02-22-2021, 09:52 AM
If this group buy gets its wheels and gains traction and the price isn't "as seen on gunjoker" my family is in for 2 total. I have a 3 and a 5 inch and it just makes sense to get this one. I was contemplating finding another 5 inch and having the barrel shortened.

Rex G
02-22-2021, 11:08 AM
It is a nice-lookin’ revolving pistol, but looks, alone, will probably not suffice, to stimulate me to buy one. The .44 Special is special, but not special-enough, to me, personally, that I would want to carry a 5-shot .44 GP100, rather than a 6-shot .357 GP100. I do hope that this edition sells well, as it encourages Ruger to keep making GP100 revolvers.

Totem Polar
02-22-2021, 11:14 AM
This run will sell out, no doubt, and quickly too.

That said, I’d rather have the Dayton model 14 that just sold for a grand over a service-sized 5-shot .44

Tokarev
02-22-2021, 12:23 PM
Budsgunshop.com is showing $683.23 but not in stock. Might be worth a "notify me when available" sign up.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210222/5f0133036e68518b6908b978f4239942.jpg

Lester Polfus
02-22-2021, 01:07 PM
Budsgunshop.com is showing $683.23 but not in stock. Might be worth a "notify me when available" sign up.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210222/5f0133036e68518b6908b978f4239942.jpg

That is a much lower price than I would have predicted.

jtcarm
02-23-2021, 03:12 PM
I believe Jeff was one of the guy's who had been pestering Ruger for the GP100/44 back when they did the 3" stainless gun. I think it is quite fitting for the memorial edition to be chambered in 44.

Bingo!

Is the absence of cylinder flutes to increase chamber wall thickness?

I do like both the .44 special and the looks of that gun (except the stocks.)

That’s going to seriously test my resolve.

mtnbkr
02-23-2021, 05:24 PM
Bingo!

No. Just adds weight and gives it a different look. S&W has done a few like that as well.

Chris

Wondering Beard
02-23-2021, 05:40 PM

No. Just adds weight and gives it a different look. S&W has done a few like that as well.

Chris

I wish they wouldn't do that. It makes indexing the cylinder for reloads more difficult, for me at least. Though they do look cool.

Stephanie B
02-23-2021, 05:51 PM

Having a cylinder that is heavier than it needs to be for no damned good reason strikes me as being a not good thing.

ECVMatt
02-23-2021, 06:02 PM

I agree....

mtnbkr
02-23-2021, 06:34 PM
Having a cylinder that is heavier than it needs to be for no damned good reason strikes me as being a not good thing.

Doesn't make sense to me either.

Chris

revchuck38
02-23-2021, 09:07 PM

Why do you hate my 27-3 and 28-2?

Stephanie B
02-23-2021, 10:05 PM
Why do you hate my 27-3 and 28-2?

I don’t, I have one of them. But I did one look at a 28 that was for sale which was as out of time as any gun I’ve seen.

Mark D
02-23-2021, 10:47 PM

Love it. If you're not writing books, you should be. And if you are, please PM me with details on where they can be bought.

SCCY Marshal
02-25-2021, 03:36 PM
If you're not writing books, you should be.

Don't think the better half would approve of me becoming more misanthtopic, taking to chain smoking, and commencing to drink like a fish. I could see exercising the brain with short stories being an attractive hobby, though.

Crazy Dane
02-26-2021, 07:05 PM
I called a local dealer today to see if they could get one of these JQ models and he said Lipsey's was out of stock. I'm guessing this go at it here is a failure to launch too?

OlongJohnson
02-26-2021, 09:37 PM
Having a cylinder that is heavier than it needs to be for no damned good reason is like camping sober. It just doesn't make any sense.

Stephanie B
02-26-2021, 09:44 PM
I called a local dealer today to see if they could get one of these JQ models and he said Lipsey's was out of stock. I'm guessing this go at it here is a failure to launch too?

Bud’s had them in stock, according to their website. $860 or so.

Crazy Dane
02-28-2021, 10:44 AM
Bud’s had them in stock, according to their website. $860 or so.

I guess I missed them even though I was checking often and Bud's in stock notification did not work. Maybe Ruger will do a batch of 4 inch guns that isn't a commemorative edition.

jtcarm
03-02-2021, 03:05 PM

Yep. Kinda defeats the half-lug concept, too.

Zeke38
03-02-2021, 09:38 PM
Handled one of these at TriState Sporting Goods in Moscow, Idaho today at 1pm. Sale price was 802.00 . All I can say is Ruger and Lipsey's did Jeff proud, A sweetheart of a revolver and I would love to have one.

HeavyDuty
03-03-2021, 09:23 AM
I’m hoping Ruger releases a standard cataloged variant of these - stainless, fluted cylinder, half lug. I like my 69, but can one have too many fun guns?

Bucky
03-03-2021, 05:00 PM
I’m hoping Ruger releases a standard cataloged variant of these - stainless, fluted cylinder, half lug. I like my 69, but can one have too many fun guns?

I’d argue one cannot have too many guns, no matter their purpose. :) :)

jtcarm
03-06-2021, 12:32 AM
I peeked on GB today and the ones I saw were bid up for stupid money.

Stephanie B
03-06-2021, 04:14 PM
I peeked on GB today and the ones I saw were bid up for stupid money.

Pretty much everything on GB is going for stupid money, these days.

OlongJohnson
03-07-2021, 12:42 AM
Getting time to make some more room in the safe...

Tokarev
04-13-2021, 02:52 PM
https://revolverguy.com/jeff-quinn-memorial-ruger-gp100-44-special/#more-9399

Nick B
04-13-2021, 05:30 PM
What’s the forcing cone on these look like ?

OlongJohnson
04-13-2021, 07:57 PM
https://revolverguy.com/jeff-quinn-memorial-ruger-gp100-44-special/#more-9399

That is a nice writeup.

This pic makes me hope Ruger does more of these. Even though I have no need of .44 Special.

Flamingo
04-13-2021, 08:23 PM
I will get one if they release it as a non-special edition.

Tokarev
04-13-2021, 08:59 PM
I will get one if they release it as a non-special edition.One of the guys told me they sold out immediately. He commented that they should have done a run that was 2x as large.

No reason they can't do a Second Edition I don't think. Ruger could make a few minor tweaks to denote the 2nd run guns to appease to the collectors. Heck I imagine the diehard Ruger guys would buy a second batch gun too.

OlongJohnson
04-13-2021, 09:14 PM
Heck I imagine the diehard Ruger guys would buy a second batch gun too.

If they had V2 serial numbers, imagine how people would geek out to have matching serial numbers from each run.

Crazy Dane
04-14-2021, 04:13 PM
If they had V2 serial numbers, imagine how people would geek out to have matching serial numbers from each run.

Please, no... I want a 4 inch gun to complete my set but the JQ guns went so fast and straight to gun broke for insane prices that I tapped out of trying to get one. I ended up going for/getting a WC instead.