PDA

View Full Version : Webinar - BJJ in a Weapons Based Environment (halfguard) March 21, 2021

Cecil Burch
02-12-2021, 05:15 PM
After dithering about it for the past year, I finally decided to pull the trigger and organize my first webinar.

March 21 for two hours, I will dive into looking at grappling where weapons may be present. The first one will focus on one of my personal favorites, and a particular "game" that I think has tons of applicability and efficacy for self-defense, the BJJ position known as halfguard.

It will be $50, and the class will be two hours long, with approximately 90 minutes devoted to instruction, and the last 30 minutes an open Q&A to cover anything shown previously.

I really hope this works out as well as people are telling me it will, because it would be nice to reach folks who just cannot train with me in person, and get more solid info out in to the world.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/webinar-grappling-in-a-weapons-based-environment-halfguard-tickets-136853284859

Cecil Burch
02-12-2021, 05:18 PM
Here is an older video (one of the first YouTube things I ever did) that gives you a flavor of what we will be working on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj-cxgzsurc

UNM1136
02-12-2021, 06:14 PM
Pretty awesome, Cecil. Some of those concepts I applied last week on an EDP. I didn't know I was applying them, but they worked.

Will see If I can do the webinar....

pat

Totem Polar
02-12-2021, 07:15 PM
On the calendar; let’s see how it goes!

11am is pretty early for a musician, but for you, I’ll gut it out.

:D

Cory
02-12-2021, 07:35 PM
If I am not a BJJ practitioner, and my only reference is your IABJJ class, will I be up to speed enough to benefit from this?

Cecil Burch
02-12-2021, 11:41 PM
If I am not a BJJ practitioner, and my only reference is your IABJJ class, will I be up to speed enough to benefit from this?

Yes, I think so. One of the reasons I like halfguard is that it is slightly simpler than other guards and the key parts of it are easier to grasp and implement. So I believe it is a good gateway to jiujitsu even for a noob.

And you will see how easy it fits into the matrix I teach in IAJJ

SeriousStudent
02-13-2021, 12:24 AM
I am really looking forward to this and getting my learn on! :)

45dotACP
02-13-2021, 03:26 PM
If I'm not working, I am 100% in for this.

Love me some half guard.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Cecil Burch
02-17-2021, 02:13 PM
Update : After some tutoring by my guide (thanks Tiffany! ) , I now know that this will be able to be saved and watched later by attendees. I will have a link and password to folks who sign up beforehand and they will be able to review the webinar at their leisure after.

Cecil Burch
04-15-2021, 06:20 PM
So the wifi at the Academy went on the fritz days before the webinar so I had to reschedule to April 25th. Same link to register and al lthe same info.

The nice thing is that the location I will be at has as fast and as good a wifi that exists in AZ so we are good there, and it gave me time to upgrade the camera and mic, so the experience should be even better.

Rex G
04-18-2021, 12:03 PM
So the wifi at the Academy went on the fritz days before the webinar so I had to reschedule to April 25th. Same link to register and al lthe same info.

The nice thing is that the location I will be at has as fast and as good a wifi that exists in AZ so we are good there, and it gave me time to upgrade the camera and mic, so the experience should be even better.

I am glad to have noticed this. Thanks.

I am concerned about Eventbrite, however, after two fails. Have you used them before, successfully?

Cecil Burch
04-19-2021, 12:13 PM
I am glad to have noticed this. Thanks.

I am concerned about Eventbrite, however, after two fails. Have you used them before, successfully?

Yes, multiple times. Tom Givens has used nothing but Eventbrite for years. It is a PITA for the person setting up Eventbrite for an event ( they hold the money for up to weeks after, their website interface is not set up well to do changes or additions, etc) but for the person buying a ticket, it is easy.

Bratch
04-19-2021, 05:45 PM
Are you able to record and sell copies of the seminar? Would lose the Q&A interaction but would open it up for those double booked.

Rex G
04-19-2021, 06:11 PM
Yes, multiple times. Tom Givens has used nothing but Eventbrite for years. It is a PITA for the person setting up Eventbrite for an event ( they hold the money for up to weeks after, their website interface is not set up well to do changes or additions, etc) but for the person buying a ticket, it is easy.

Thanks for your response. Signing up was easy the two times I tried, in the past, except that Eventbrite failed to deliver. One event was free, so I was merely annoyed, and the other was a charitable event, and not expensive, so I ate the cost, rather than bother the folks doing the event. For one event, when I logged in, they gave me a pass to show “at the door,” but no access code to log into the event, which had no door, because it was virtual. For the other event, the access code was not delivered to me, until the webinar was over.

Maybe Eventbrite has grown-up, since then, to enable my third time to be the charm.

Cecil Burch
04-20-2021, 11:11 AM
Are you able to record and sell copies of the seminar? Would lose the Q&A interaction but would open it up for those double booked.

It is being recorded, and copies will be sent to everyone who signs up. At this point, I am leaning to not selling it outside of the original event. Honestly, setting that kind of thing up is a bit of a pain and the juice is not worth the squeeze.

Cecil Burch
04-20-2021, 11:15 AM
Thanks for your response. Signing up was easy the two times I tried, in the past, except that Eventbrite failed to deliver. One event was free, so I was merely annoyed, and the other was a charitable event, and not expensive, so I ate the cost, rather than bother the folks doing the event. For one event, when I logged in, they gave me a pass to show “at the door,” but no access code to log into the event, which had no door, because it was virtual. For the other event, the access code was not delivered to me, until the webinar was over.

Maybe Eventbrite has grown-up, since then, to enable my third time to be the charm.

Those things I can't address, but as far as this goes, it is a Zoom event and they are the ones handling the logistics. Right now, the email with the link and passcode is already up (and I have read it and it has both things on there) and set to be sent out twice, once two hours before the event, and once 15 minutes prior. And I am going to try to do a manual send the night before. As far as this goes, all Eventbrite is doing is collecting the money and providing the list of attendees (and then holding the money for two more weeks afterwards.....).

Rex G
04-20-2021, 01:12 PM
Those things I can't address, but as far as this goes, it is a Zoom event and they are the ones handling the logistics. Right now, the email with the link and passcode is already up (and I have read it and it has both things on there) and set to be sent out twice, once two hours before the event, and once 15 minutes prior. And I am going to try to do a manual send the night before. As far as this goes, all Eventbrite is doing is collecting the money and providing the list of attendees (and then holding the money for two more weeks afterwards.....).

Thanks! I am going to give this one a try.

45dotACP
04-24-2021, 11:35 AM

I hate to like this, but I was working the day it was scheduled previously and I am not working tomorrow.

Catch ya tomorrow!

Cecil Burch
04-24-2021, 06:43 PM
I hate to like this, but I was working the day it was scheduled previously and I am not working tomorrow.

Catch ya tomorrow!

Awesome!

I’m actually at the location right now doing some preliminary set up. Going to be a good time!

Rex G
04-24-2021, 08:08 PM
Well, it appears that Eventbrite is working for me, this time. Both of the ways they failed me, in the past, have been successful, this time. I look forward to the event!

Totem Polar
04-25-2021, 11:57 AM
Eagerly awaiting the room opening!

Aaaaand.... I’m in. So far, so good!

Rex G
04-25-2021, 02:30 PM
Well-done! Thanks!

45dotACP
04-25-2021, 02:43 PM
This webinar was legitimately awesome. The little tidbits Cecil was dropping pretty much blew my mind. I'll for sure be watching this webinar, even just for the value as a grappler, let alone for it's value in learning to win an entangled fight with a weapon.

Cecil, if you have other webinars planned, I'll for sure be trying to make them!

Totem Polar
04-25-2021, 03:04 PM
Agreed; that was some great content. Well-presented, progressive, and cohesive.
:cool:

Cecil Burch
04-26-2021, 06:31 PM
I am genuinely humbled at the feedback I have received across the board. Thank you to everyone for 1) supporting some a chancy endeavor, and 2) for taking the time to let me know how it went from your end.

I was nervous about this, not from the material or presentation, but for the technical computer aspect. Not being that savvy about that stuff, and it being the first one, I was worried. But it went off without a hitch, and everyone has said they got something from it.

There will definitely be more. I believe this is a good way to get information out to people who may not have the time, ability or resources to travel to a seminar, and now I know I can pull it off. Sketching out the next three right now and I am projecting the next one (either on escaping from the bottom in WBE, or taking the same look as closed guard as I took at halfguard in this past weekend's one) to be most likely in mid-June.

Thank you again everyone.