PDA

View Full Version : ECQC video links

SouthNarc
03-19-2011, 10:55 AM
Guys I've had several PMs about exactly what the Extreme Close Quarters Concepts course is and isn't. It's billed as "an overview of functional handgun skills at 0-5 feet" which requires "a multi-disciplinary approach to problem solving". That being said the best way to make a decision about whether this is or isn't something you want to do is to watch the videos that have been posted on-line.

Just so everyone knows, there isn't a standard to be met, it's strictly experiential. To date in doing open enrollment courses I've had only ONE significant injury and that was a fall on an indoor range on a hard surface.

So here is some reference material:

ECQC Orgeon 2009
http://www.vimeo.com/4271788

ECQC Los Angeles 2008
http://www.vimeo.com/1072283

ECQC Fort Bragg 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkSPeOhGPHE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0rCdTqZFyk&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R4ajSiXARM&feature=related

ECQC Los Angeles 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN7cbMxGMLs

ECQC Houston 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTBk3rTjuNU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eprLkelgB3M&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/user/soonerbjj#p/u/3/zUrzzqAuf-o

Shellback
03-19-2011, 12:47 PM
Great videos and examples. Maybe make this a sticky/official SN ECQC thread and adding more material as it becomes available?

John Ralston
03-20-2011, 06:47 PM
DAYUM!!! If I am going to take one of your classes I better start hitting the gym or my herniated L5-S1 will be squirting out on the mat!

fuse
03-21-2011, 12:49 AM
Never thought I'd ever want to pay to get my ass kicked, damnit, I do.

fm2
03-21-2011, 02:19 AM
Love me some car evos!!!!!!

Oh, the day doesn't start with evolutions, that's sorta the happy ending of ECQC.

TCinVA
03-21-2011, 10:07 AM
Southnarc is an experienced professional, folks...he's not going to get you killed or seriously injured in a training evolution. Good combatives instructors like SN know how to do the training without getting anyone seriously injured. You may be sore for a few days, but the only thing that is likely to suffer permanent damage is your pride. :D

John Ralston
03-21-2011, 11:05 AM
Southnarc is an experienced professional, folks...he's not going to get you killed or seriously injured in a training evolution. Good combatives instructors like SN know how to do the training without getting anyone seriously injured. You may be sore for a few days, but the only thing that is likely to suffer permanent damage is your pride. :D

My problem is that I can bend over wrong and be sore for a week - if I am going to subject myself to the rigours of that class, I am going in with 6 pack abs and core muscles that will keep everything in place (which isn't exactly how I look right now) :eek:

jar
03-21-2011, 11:21 AM

+1. SN is the best I've ever seen at modulating a class to the abilities of the students, both collectively and individually. I've been through the coursework 3 times now, and each time I get more out of it. He'll push you pretty hard, but not any harder than you can take.

part-time shooter
03-21-2011, 11:43 AM
This is some of the most valuable information I've seen on this type of "subject". You can pick up a lot of good information just watching the videos so the course itself has got to be well worth the price of admission so to speak. I'm with Fuse, I'd think I'd pay to get my ass kicked to learn why I did and how to not have that happen again or at least have a chance at it not happening again.

At first I'd have been a bit hesitant about doing something like that unless I spent another 6 months in the gym like John but in all likelyhood you are going to be in the shape you are today when you need this training the most. 6 pack abs or carrying the whole keg on your belly it's likely best to bring what you have to a class like this and work within that ability.

SouthNarc
03-21-2011, 12:03 PM
You really don't have to be in shape for the coursework guys. Come as you are. Regardless of how in shape someone is I will still push them beyond their perceived limits. That's what I'm supposed to do. It's really not about the outcome, but the process that's important.

The oldest ECQC attendee so far is 71 years of age. I have another student that has to lock his knees into NFL-grade, carbon fiber braces with an allen wrench. He still gets down and dirty and gives it his all.

jar
03-21-2011, 01:03 PM
You really don't have to be in shape for the coursework guys. Come as you are. Regardless of how in shape someone is I will still push them beyond their perceived limits. That's what I'm supposed to do. It's really not about the outcome, but the process that's important.

And they'll have some dawn good motivation to show up in better shape next time...

SouthNarc
03-22-2011, 11:30 AM
Empty hand and knife from the UK 2010. My Brits are made of adamantium!:cool:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1744232165346

KentF
03-22-2011, 11:43 AM
DAYUM!!! If I am going to take one of your classes I better start hitting the gym...

Agreed... I'm afraid the class alone would kill me!:D

Gordon
03-23-2011, 06:45 AM
I'm really looking forward to your course in Cape Town, SA at the end of the year SN. We definitely need the training down here.

SouthNarc
03-23-2011, 06:55 AM
Me too Gordon. It's my first time in your country and I'm really excited about the opportunity and I think we're going to have a fun, intense class.:)

Gordon
03-23-2011, 07:05 AM
Slightly off topic, but I thought I heard a while ago that you're a fan of the Crazy Monkey defense program? I'm training at Rodney King's gym under Nuno de Gouveia and find the system to be simple yet very effective.

SouthNarc
03-23-2011, 07:27 AM
BIG fan of CM because it's so congruent with everything else I do. Cecil and Jerry are pretty good friends of mine here in the states, and though Rodney and I haven't met we've talked on the phone. If you're doing CM you're gonna' have alot of fun.;)

Gordon
03-23-2011, 08:26 AM
If you're doing CM you're gonna' have alot of fun.;)

I'm afraid, very afraid! :D

SouthNarc
03-23-2011, 08:30 AM
HA!:cool:

vmi-mo
03-23-2011, 06:00 PM
One of the hardest parts of the ECQC class for me was leaving. I went back to my unit where I was doing pretty gay "fighting". Not only was it boring, but I was able to realize alot of the faults in the system.

I brought some of my friends in and started to show them some of the little things I learned. Needless to say, it turned into a brawl (in a friendly way)

As for being in shape, I saw all shapes and sizes in the class I attended. All performed and all were pushed. If you are having an easy time, then pick a fight with a bigger dude.

PJ

SouthNarc
03-23-2011, 06:15 PM
If you are having an easy time, then pick a fight with a bigger dude.

PJ

That's sig line material right there dude!

dookie1481
03-24-2011, 01:48 AM
As for being in shape, I saw all shapes and sizes in the class I attended. All performed and all were pushed. If you are having an easy time, then pick a fight with a bigger dude.

PJ

They will all be bigger than me :D

vmi-mo
03-24-2011, 05:53 AM
They will all be bigger than me :D

I am a pretty skinny guy. 5'9" 155lbs (on a heavy day). So I can relate to everyone being bigger than you.

PJ

BigT
03-24-2011, 06:33 AM
I'm really looking forward to your course in Cape Town, SA at the end of the year SN. We definitely need the training down here.
Me too. This is going to be sweet.

EPF
03-24-2011, 08:47 AM

PJ

Good Point. What makes this class special, other than the instructor being the bastard child of Jelly Bryce and Pai Mei, is the chance to asses where you stand in a controlled environment. It is very difficult to create realistic pressure without the associated real world consequences (shooting, stabbing, robbery). But this class does just that. It seems to me that the participants have as much to do with that as the instructor.

We had a female in our class. She had zero prior self defense experience and was in no better shape that the average woman on the street. Yet she pushed herself to places she never imagined. If testing yourself is the point of the EVOs, then she was the hardest MF'er in the class.

At 5-9 170lbs, I can't presume that I will be targeted by angry dwarves that I can push around with my enormous size. So, for me, squaring up against two dudes with 40lbs each on me was the definitive experience.

I can't say enough about this class. Reminds you that FIGHT is the operative word in gunfight.

Eric

TGS
04-14-2011, 08:31 PM
Man, this looks like a class I'd like to do. Like some others, I've got back problems and it'd be a very bad idea for me to get into this stuff anymore. Just grocery shopping is murder, and I wasn't doing so hot(understatement) by the end of Todd's last Speed Kills class in Culpeper......to put it into perspective, I had a chance to go to the Foreign Weapons Instructor course this winter, and I voluntarily passed it up. That would have been an awesome experience.....2 weeks of blazing away with RPD's, G3's, AK's, ect ect.

vmi-mo, gotta prepare for those CRF.......

jumpthestack
04-16-2011, 11:02 PM
It looks like a really interesting class. I've done Brazilian Jiu-jitsu for many years and I'm an avid shooter but I've never really combined grappling with shooting, and it would be right up my alley.

azimuth
04-18-2011, 09:12 PM
I've been through ECQC1&2 and ECQC3&4, plus a few other SNarc modules. If you get the chance to attend you will be rewarded richly for your investment of time, money, and pain.

Like Newt said in 'Aliens':

"Mostly the pain of ECQC is emotional. Mostly..." :cool:

agent-smith
05-09-2011, 11:06 AM
I just went through SouthNarc's IEK/ECQC the last three days and to echo the sentiments of others this class is an absolute "must-take" for anyone that carries a firearm.

Once I get a chance I'll write up a more formal AAR but for now all that I can say is that (as someone that has already attended multiple shooting schools) going through IEK/ECQC was probably more of an eye-opening experience than when I went from a "bullseye shooter" to actually attending some *real* shooting schools.

Specifically, when I first started practicing drawing from concealment, reloading, shooting multiple shots/targets under time pressure, etc. compared to just statically shooting 5-shot groups on paper I thought to myself "Wow, the scary part is that when I was strictly a bullseye shooter I actually thought I could defend myself with a gun; I had NO IDEA how little I actually knew...". Well, after the IEK/ECQC I pretty much feel the same way about my "pre-IEK/ECQC/SouthNarc" days...