PDA

View Full Version : N Frame Grips for Small Hands

CLaw
02-07-2021, 12:49 PM
Okay, I have this Model 27 incoming and want to get some grips and a good leather holster. Everyone seems to recommend Ahrends grips, but they are now out of business. Any alternatives that aren't unobtanium?

jh9
02-07-2021, 12:56 PM
Okay, I have this Model 27 incoming and want to get some grips and a good leather holster. Everyone seems to recommend Ahrends grips, but they are now out of business. Any alternatives that aren't unobtanium?

Last time I actually measured, the rubber hogue monogrips (Round-to-square-conversion) between the finger grooves have the exact same circumference as the K/L monogrips. I doubt you're going to get smaller.

jlw
02-07-2021, 01:00 PM
VZ Boot Grips (https://vzgrips.com/products/s-w-n-frame-boot-grip-tactical-diamond.html) (stocks to be correct) perhaps.

Duces Tecum
02-07-2021, 01:03 PM
Glove size is M to L, depending. My 5" 629 wears boot grips (exposed back 'n bottom). They work just fine, and you can't get much smaller due to frame size. Pretty sure boot grips would work as well for those with smaller hands.

Dave T
02-07-2021, 01:08 PM
I've always thought the best "small" grip configuration for an N-frame was a set of Magnas and a grip adapter.

Back in the 1970s when I was in the academy the factory target stocks were big and uncomfortable on my M28-2. I found an old Pachmyer grip-adapter in a used grips/stocks bin at a local gun shop and paid like $1.50 for it. That's what got me though the academy and I shot Expert in qualification.

You can still find used grip-adapters or wait a long time to get one from Tyler-T. There's also BK Grips' one size fits all adapters that aren't bad at all.

Dave

CLaw
02-07-2021, 01:42 PM
Thx. VZ seems like an option that is in-stock, but I was hoping to get something in wood. I'd try the T-grip, but they seem as difficult to get as wood grips from out of business companies...

LtDave
02-07-2021, 01:49 PM
The JM Grips from Hogue are pretty svelte and available for round or square butt guns. Smallest would likely be Spegel Boot Grips.

LtDave
02-07-2021, 01:50 PM
Thx. VZ seems like an option that is in-stock, but I was hoping to get something in wood. I'd try the T-grip, but they seem as difficult to get as wood grips from out of business companies...

BK grip adapters are the way to go nowadays. Shipping is quick.

Duelist
02-07-2021, 04:03 PM
I have a rosewood Hogue monogrip on my only N. Larger than average hands, but factory N target grips are not really workable. The Hogue works, and the Altamonts I had before were okay, too.

Oldherkpilot
02-07-2021, 05:04 PM
If you want the Cadillac of stocks, I like these:
http://www.herrettstocks.com/roper.htm

I prefer the Jordan Troopers for magnums. Herretts are worth the money and the wait.

Zeke38
02-07-2021, 06:42 PM
Wear a size 9 glove, K frames are a great fit and Ns are a stretch.Love to shoot N frames and have found the VZs, either square butt or round butt work great. For 357 N frames I get the aggressively checkered ones and for the 44s I get the smoother ones. Fit is great and good function.

Altamont makes a copy of the old Magnas that Smith used way back when for N frame and a BK grip adapter or Tyler T grip is the smallest girth setup for N frame. The Altamonts they also give the greatest trigger finger reach. https://www.altamontco.com/pistol-grips/smith-and-wesson/n-square/

Scroll down to the "Classic Panels"

wvincent
02-07-2021, 08:37 PM
Size 8 gloves, Grashorn stags, no bark, BK Grip adapter.
Per my request, Patrick did a little "extra" downsizing on them, pure perfection for me.

medmo
02-07-2021, 10:30 PM
Eagle Grips has a variety. If you want small grips, they make very small grips for the N Frame RB with the Secret Service model. I have a pair on my 327 Night Guard.

https://www.eaglegrips.com/175-secret-service-series

That Guy
02-08-2021, 12:30 AM
Last time I actually measured, the rubber hogue monogrips (Round-to-square-conversion) between the finger grooves have the exact same circumference as the K/L monogrips. I doubt you're going to get smaller.

Stocks with finger grooves and small hands are, in my opinion, never a good fit. The spacing of the grooves is always designed more for the average hand size.

JHC
02-08-2021, 07:02 AM
Eagle Grips has a variety. If you want small grips, they make very small grips for the N Frame RB with the Secret Service model. I have a pair on my 327 Night Guard.

https://www.eaglegrips.com/175-secret-service-series

+1 they seem pretty small to me. I assume the OP Model 27 is a square butt which limits options from some of the companies.

CLaw
02-08-2021, 04:15 PM
Thanks. I have Magnas and BK grip adapter incoming to try. The hate that I can’t get a pair of Ahrends Retro target grips. People seem to universally praise them. VZs look like the ticket, but am I horrible for wanting wood stocks (did I get that right over grips?) instead of something synthetic?

Anyone have the Altamont Roper grips?

jtcarm
02-08-2021, 06:27 PM
Thanks. I have Magnas and BK grip adapter incoming to try. The hate that I can’t get a pair of Ahrends Retro target grips. People seem to universally praise them. VZs look like the ticket, but am I horrible for wanting wood stocks (did I get that right over grips?) instead of something synthetic?

Anyone have the Altamont Roper grips?

I have a set of Ahrends retro bananas if you’re interested. They’re tung-oil-finished bloodwood and look spectacular on a blued gun.

I suffer from stubby fingers myself and find the Hogue JMs work well for me. They’re thin & rounded, but fill the gap behind the trigger guard well so I can get the grip I like: high & tight.

The bananas are too skinny, IMO. They need a little more meat on the front of the grip frame and back of the TG so that the weight of the gun is on the middle finger and your trigger finger isn’t extended way out by itself. But they looked damn good on my M-24 when I tried them.

CLaw
02-08-2021, 08:06 PM
I have a set of Ahrends retro bananas if you’re interested. They’re tung-oil-finished bloodwood and look spectacular on a blued gun.

I suffer from stubby fingers myself and find the Hogue JMs work well for me. They’re thin & rounded, but fill the gap behind the trigger guard well so I can get the grip I like: high & tight.

The bananas are too skinny, IMO. They need a little more meat on the front of the grip frame and back of the TG so that the weight of the gun is on the middle finger and your trigger finger isn’t extended way out by itself. But they looked damn good on my M-24 when I tried them.

Thanks for the offer. The bananas are round butt though, and my 27 will be a square butt. A few folks mentioned the JMs. I might try a set of those as well, though I wish I could get them without the initials...

That Guy
02-09-2021, 12:58 AM
A few folks mentioned the JMs. I might try a set of those as well, though I wish I could get them without the initials...

Miculek used to sell a version without the obnoxious huge logo in his shop. (Naturally no international sales so I never got to try them.) I see the current selection all have the logo on them, but perhaps you can find a set of the older stocks on the secondary market?

Stephanie B
02-09-2021, 08:43 AM
BK grip adapters are the way to go nowadays. Shipping is quick.

I'll second this. I've bought a lot of them and one Tyler. BK shipped fast (if it's available, he ships in a day or so). Tyler came two months after ordering and for that, I'm actually thankful. Tyler shipping horror stories are rife here and elsewhere.

Stephanie B
02-09-2021, 08:46 AM
Okay, I have this Model 27 incoming and want to get some grips and a good leather holster.

I bought an OWB holster from Mernickle; it was well worth it. If you're going to use the gun in matches, it's probably stating the obvious to make sure the holster conforms to their rules.

Rex G
02-09-2021, 12:51 PM
Has anyone mentioned the reach to the trigger? My limitation is my index fingers not being long enough to get a proper position in the face of the trigger, in the forward, double-action position. My deep-palmed hands love an N-Frame revolver, but getting enough finger on the face of the trigger compelled me to hold off-center, which directed much of the recoil force through and down my thumb. One year of that, with a 629, firing mostly Magnums, wrecked my right hand. I switched to an HK P7, for about half a year, for duty and personal-time carry, to let my right hand heal. (Yes, I just had to be Dirty Rexy, using a .44 Mag duty revolver.)

I spent the next five years using a Model 58, with a narrow trigger, with the trigger’s grooves and edges having been ground-off and smoothed for an earlier owner. (It was an ex-San Antonio PD duty gun, so an SAPD armorer may have performed the trigger mod.) The narrower, rounded-off trigger meant that I was using a better hold, with muzzle flip going upward, rather than a violent twist off-center, as with the 629.

I tried several grips with the 58, finally settling upon original Magnas, with no grip adapter. (A high bore axis became my enemy.) I thought about consulting with a custom grip maker, but then just transitioned to a Colt Commander, for duty and carry, and shifted my attention to Ruger GP100 and S&W K-Frames. My 58 was starting to shoot loose, so it enjoys semi-retirement, only occasionally fired, single-action.

CLaw
02-09-2021, 07:03 PM
Good points. I’ll be honest. I’d probably would be better if with a k or l frame. I’d like to get a 66 sometime as well. Just had this chance at a 27, and have always wanted one.

Has anyone mentioned the reach to the trigger? My limitation is my index fingers not being long enough to get a proper position in the face of the trigger, in the forward, double-action position. My deep-palmed hands love an N-Frame revolver, but getting enough finger on the face of the trigger compelled me to hold off-center, which directed much of the recoil force through and down my thumb. One year of that, with a 629, firing mostly Magnums, wrecked my right hand. I switched to an HK P7, for about half a year, for duty and personal-time carry, to let my right hand heal. (Yes, I just had to be Dirty Rexy, using a .44 Mag duty revolver.)

I spent the next five years using a Model 58, with a narrow trigger, with the trigger’s grooves and edges having been ground-off and smoothed for an earlier owner. (It was an ex-San Antonio PD duty gun, so an SAPD armorer may have performed the trigger mod.) The narrower, rounded-off trigger meant that I was using a better hold, with muzzle flip going upward, rather than a violent twist off-center, as with the 629.

I tried several grips with the 58, finally settling upon original Magnas, with no grip adapter. (A high bore axis became my enemy.) I thought about consulting with a custom grip maker, but then just transitioned to a Colt Commander, for duty and carry, and shifted my attention to Ruger GP100 and S&W K-Frames. My 58 was starting to shoot loose, so it enjoys semi-retirement, only occasionally fired, single-action.

jtcarm
02-11-2021, 05:14 PM

Yep, I have the same problem: normal hand but Pygmy fingers.

The only DA .44 magnum I ever owned & shot was a Redhawk. It was shot SA only and was so heavy as not to be a problem.

I consider N frames best suited to non-magnum big-bore rounds.

Double stack DA/SA autos like the Sigs are the absolute worst for me.

I’m starting to appreciate the GP100 a lot more. Shorter reach.

JTMcC
02-11-2021, 06:43 PM
Not my measurement, but someone else measured trigger reach on an N-frame 629 and an L-frame 69, 3.10" for the N, 3.00 for the L, both wearing the same stocks.

I don't know how the M69 reach compares to say a M586 but since I seem to like throwing dial calipers on different revolver frames I'll measure mine when I get the time.

But I have a N frame (Hogue mono) and a K-22 (factory Magna's) right here and the difference seems very small to me.

CLaw
02-12-2021, 07:53 PM
I got the 27 in today and the BK grip. Thank you all for suggesting them.

When I went to put them on, the grips wouldn't seat with it as high as I'd have liked. While it touches the back of the trigger guard and the front of the grip, there is a cap at the top curve. You can't see air when you look at it from the side, but it seems lower than most photos I have seen. Is this anything to be concerned about, other than it doesn't look as clean? I guess dirt could get down in there, but I don't plan on rolling in the mud with this thing... lol