PDA

View Full Version : Got in a fight on the way home from work; too old for this; perhaps pepper spray?

ECVMatt
02-05-2021, 05:10 PM
Long story short, I was in a line to buy In-N-Out near a can recycling business. The line temporarily blocked a gentleman from entering the recycling area and he went nuts. He got out of his car and started shouting profanities, hitting cars, and trying to open car doors. As he approached my truck I got out, took him to the ground, punched him a couple times in the head, and held him for the police. In my state, there is no law so he will be immediately released with a ticket. At least they towed his car and his behavior is documented.

On the way home I had a couple of thoughts. First of all I am too old for this type of behavior. Although I keep myself in good shape I am sore from hitting the pavement. Second of all, no more Double/Doubles from that location. It is located near a homeless encampment in the wrong part of town. I got lazy because it was on the way home and paid the price. Thirdly, and why I am posting, I think I need to learn about pepper spray.

Can anyone recommend training opportunities for pepper spray in the LA area? Does anyone have a particular brand they recommend from 1st hand use? I realize that I could order some from Amazon (using the PF link) point and push, but I would prefer to get some knowledge about legality and effectiveness. I am pretty much starting from zero.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Totem Polar
02-05-2021, 05:27 PM
I am torn between wanting to chastise you and wanting to buy you a beer.

I’ll let the experts weigh in on pepper spray, save to note that it’s probably a good idea, and I got mine from an Amazon link provided by Greg Ellifritz last time: POM, here:

https://www.amazon.com/POM-1-44-Stream-Personal-Protection/dp/B07K7V76CG/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=Pom%2Bpepper%2Bspray&qid=1612563939&sr=8-2-spons&smid=A22VYXR1QD0D3L&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyWlA2T0gxN0c0MTJVJ mVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTM3NTkyMjdNN0tFN0VHQ1hOTSZlbmN yeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMjk3OTE3Mk1OOVVWNzJWWjQwRCZ3aWRnZ XROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05 vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

Never had to use it, myself.

Trooper224
02-05-2021, 07:33 PM
I'm sure your personal satisfaction was high and he deserved it. On the other hand, getting out of you vehicle and engaging was a seriously stupid move. You need training in how to make mature decisions, not pepper spray.

UNK
02-05-2021, 07:38 PM
I couldnt find the post @TotemPolar referenced but I did find this.

https://www.activeresponsetraining.net/pepper-spray-how-to-choose-it-and-how-to-use-it

FrankinCA
02-05-2021, 07:58 PM
Never get out of the boat...seriously..I understand your dilemma, but you could face civil liability as well as criminal prosecution.

On the other hand, you can’t asses skill level. MMA and BJJ trained people are pretty much everywhere nowadays. It could have ended differently.
I’m glad one of us (PF’rs) is okay. Please be careful.

Lost River
02-05-2021, 08:11 PM
I'm sure your personal satisfaction was high and he deserved it. On the other hand, getting out of you vehicle and engaging was a seriously stupid move. You need training in how to make mature decisions, not pepper spray.

You never know what someone is angry about. In regards to the guy trying to get to the recycling center, he could have really just hated those cans!:eek:

ECVMatt
02-05-2021, 09:17 PM
My satisfaction was not high and in fact I am embarrassed. That is kind of why I was looking for some suggestions. The man set off a panic in the parking area and vehicles attempting to flee were dodging through pedestrians. My truck was the next to be confronted and since I inched forward to allow him to pass behind, I locked myself in and could not move. Many, many bad decision and actions on my part.

I work in a very large inner city school and am used to profanity, students fighting, parents fighting, students and parents fighting, etc. I normally do not get excited. I think looking at the chaos in the parking lot and being the next person in line for harassment or whatever I did what I thought would stop the problem. On the way home I thought maybe if I could have rolled down the window and pepper sprayed the person it would have given me a different option.

Ultimately thinking more about my location and how to avoid situations like this is probably the best solution. I think I have become too comfortable in the neighborhoods surrounding my school. Anyways no pride in what happened, just trying to sort it out and keep it from happening again.

Rick R
02-05-2021, 11:24 PM
Between the potentials for injury, diseases, dirty needles, knives and worse of all liability attorneys you probably should have stayed in the truck. But I wasn’t there and my quarterbacking skills aren’t good after midnight on Sunday.

I taught Cap-Stun, we issued it, the guys hosed a pile of assholes over the years. What I learned both from using it myself and debriefing guys who used it was
1) it works great on dogs.
2) It’s iffy on humans.
3) The drunker / stupider the human the less it works.
4) Once you get the suspect in the car they smell bad and cry a lot.

From personal experience if you and your partner simultaneously hose a large construction worker who is threatening his family with a metal flashlight during a mental breakdown and resisting arrest you will clear out the house of family, your backup, and the cat. Said large construction worker will ask you to get the cuffs on quicker so we can get out of the house too.

Like any other pain compliance tool the intended test subject needs to be able to feel pain.

Zincwarrior
02-05-2021, 11:27 PM
You got in a fight over In n Out? You could be their spokesdude.

eb07
02-05-2021, 11:45 PM
Good job. You stopped an idiot who could have hurt someone. Life is tough. I think you did good. Learn from the mistakes that got you in the situation and move on with your head high.

idahojess
02-05-2021, 11:47 PM
Maybe I've just become exceedingly claustrophobic, but I tend to avoid drive-thru service. I'd rather go in to a restaurant and pick something up. I suppose if I lived in a sketchy area I might not want to go inside, either.

I'll hit the pharmacy drive-thru when it is quiet -- but I don't like having my car blocked in.

I guess you have to wonder, what is the worst the guy could have done to your car? Is it worth it?

Is even pepper spray worth it, if you have to roll down the window and expose yourself to someone in a rage who is relying on cans for cash? Probably not.

I could certainly understand intervening if it looked like he was going to physically hurt someone else (that's a personal choice and totally fact dependent). But remember, he could be armed, and you could end up being like the victims on the tri-met train in Portland.

Can/should/must, right?

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?cat=118

Caesar
02-06-2021, 12:02 AM
This is a good review of pepper sprays.....

https://youtu.be/6oK1d_tBp9Q

Hambo
02-06-2021, 07:08 AM
Ultimately thinking more about my location and how to avoid situations like this is probably the best solution.

Great idea. I've tried to drill that idea into a friend's head, but he still managed to walk past a fleeing shooting suspect and into a shooting scene last year. There's nothing wrong with the restaurant he went in, but everything is wrong with the location and the people who wander around there. Some people don't like to feel limited about where they can go, but ultimately it's cheaper than a shooting, lawyers, bail, or a life flight ride to the trauma center.

RoyGBiv
02-06-2021, 07:53 AM
https://www.amazon.com/POM-1-44-Stream-Personal-Protection/dp/B07K7V76CG/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=Pom%2Bpepper%2Bspray&qid=1612563939&sr=8-2-spons&smid=A22VYXR1QD0D3L&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyWlA2T0gxN0c0MTJVJ mVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTM3NTkyMjdNN0tFN0VHQ1hOTSZlbmN yeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMjk3OTE3Mk1OOVVWNzJWWjQwRCZ3aWRnZ XROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05 vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

I much prefer the version with the pocket clip
https://www.amazon.com/POM-Black-Clip-Pepper-Spray/dp/B07FWJGBLR/ref=pd_bxgy_2/147-7363525-2013047?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07FWJGBLR&pd_rd_r=df1d8ccf-e97b-43b9-82bc-54d7943cbb15&pd_rd_w=2Ks4E&pd_rd_wg=jbW4n&pf_rd_p=f325d01c-4658-4593-be83-3e12ca663f0e&pf_rd_r=WD4337JY8K2SYY916RM5&psc=1&refRID=WD4337JY8K2SYY916RM5

Clusterfrack
02-06-2021, 11:11 AM
Pepperblaster?
https://www.kimberamerica.com/pepper-blaster

Paul D
02-06-2021, 11:42 AM
POM pepper spray: 2 million Scoville Heat Units.
In-N-Out Double Double: 670 cals, 41 gm of saturated fat, cholesterol 120 mg, Sodium 1440 mg.

Clearly in regards to bodily damage potential: Double-Double >>>>> POM pepper spray.

I'm glad you made it out without any serious injury to you or your vehicle.

Guerrero
02-06-2021, 11:46 AM
Chuck Haggard lecture

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkjkKbdZgxVBN_BqBPHFpuuPi5b2EDZhr

kobuksonhwacha
02-09-2021, 12:17 PM
Pepperblaster?
https://www.kimberamerica.com/pepper-blaster

I carried a Pepperblaster for several years and stopped, mostly due to the high potential for serious eye injury that delivery system carries with it https://txktoday.com/crime/city-police-allege-teens-misconduct-led-to-pepper-spray-eye-injury/

Clusterfrack
02-09-2021, 05:09 PM
I carried a Pepperblaster for several years and stopped, mostly due to the high potential for serious eye injury that delivery system carries with it https://txktoday.com/crime/city-police-allege-teens-misconduct-led-to-pepper-spray-eye-injury/

It's often very windy in my AO, making conventional OC spray a no-go. The PepperBlaster II manual (http://www.pepperspraycenter.com/download/t/PepperBlasterManual.pdf) says 2' minimum safe discharge distance, so I can only assume that's correct.

Inkwell 41
02-09-2021, 10:01 PM
You never know what someone is angry about. In regards to the guy trying to get to the recycling center, he could have really just hated those cans!:eek:

Navin Johnson saw what you did there....

RevolverRob
02-10-2021, 12:56 PM
The biggest issue with deploying OC from inside a vehicle is that it tends to get back in the cabin of the vehicle too, unless you're using one of the larger canisters with spray like these and basically hanging it out the window:

https://www.copsplus.com/sabre-sabre-red-mk-9-h2o-16-0-oz-spray

I see Sabre has just added a 'trigger top' can to their line up:

https://www.copsplus.com/sabre-sabre-red-h2o-mk-2-triggertop-spray-1-6-oz - Which might work quite well in the context of a vehicle.

I've debated, repeatedly, over the potential of adding aerosol 'grenades' inside my vehicle. Having gotten stuck on the edge of a few demonstrations that could have turned riotous (or in some cases did after I managed to unass the area), the idea of being able to roll the window down, hit the lever and drop/toss the can away from my vehicle, roll the window up, and bail, it useful idea. I'm just not sure it would work in practice. Particularly with the prevalence of masks these days.

https://www.copsplus.com/sabre-sabre-red-aerosol-grenade-5-0-oz

___

Which brings us back to two issues we're seeing right now, reduced efficacy of OC due to mask wearing (aim for the forehead).

And most importantly remember this: never get out of the car

A car is the superior tool in all scenarios. Including hitting someone with it...

Wendell
02-10-2021, 08:47 PM
Alls well that ends well, I guess. You've already acknowledged that getting out of the truck wasn't necessarily the wisest decision you've ever made. I'm happy that the guy didn't deploy a knife, and didn't injure or kill you, and I'm happy that when you took him to the ground, he wasn't seriously injured. But he could have, and he could have been, and that's the point, I think.

Either way, for best results, we need to decide what we're going to do (in response to a situation) in advance of the situation.

Kyle DeFoor sums it up (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vPCqMo9TCg) very well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vPCqMo9TCg

45dotACP
02-11-2021, 01:10 AM
Never get out of the boat...seriously..I understand your dilemma, but you could face civil liability as well as criminal prosecution.

On the other hand, you can’t asses skill level. MMA and BJJ trained people are pretty much everywhere nowadays. It could have ended differently.
I’m glad one of us (PF’rs) is okay. Please be careful.
Pretty much this is my thought.

There's basically a BJJ/MMA school on every corner it seems, and most of them are pretty capable of turning out some badass dudes. To say nothing of boxing gyms, judo clubs, wrestlers, Muay Thai practitioners etc...and weapons or needles? Dislike very much.

That possibility notwithstanding, my concern is that even victory may be at cost. Sure, the guy calmed down after you dropped him on his ass and gave him These Hands(TM)

But what if he didn't? If he still fought back til the cops arrived? Sure you might be able to hold him...but the police are minutes away. What if he's high on something? Most BJJ or wrestling positions can afford great control, bit again, if he's high as fuck you might have a hard time holding him down.

Ok, you need to finish him then.

How do you finish your enemy? It is either strikes, joint locks or chokes. Every strike delivered is brain damage and damage to your hands. Real life isn't Walker Texas Ranger where you roundhouse kick the hemchman and he's out for an hour while you fight the boss. In my medical understanding, if a dudes out for an hour from brain damage he's probably never going to walk, talk, or feed himself again. So that means knocking him silly multiple times. So how many concussions does he get until the cops show up? You might still permanently disable him.

The BJJ aspect of a joint lock may not calm him and you might have to cripple him with a break. Might be hard to explain to the cops why his shoulder is all backwards or his leg is all inverted. Even so, if he's high as fuck he may not feel that.

What about choking him unconscious until the cops arrive? Well the Walker Texas Ranger rule still applies I believe to chokes. If he's out for an hour it's probably because he's just dead. So you'll need to choke him out several times. Are you confident you can do that 'til the cops arrive? Don't hold on for too long btw. Of the three it's most likely to work without permanent damage, but what if he's got a carotid plaque? Then he'd probably be dead. Also, are chokes deadly force? Does that vary by state? What are your states laws?

Breaking contact is option #1 and when you're in a metal box that can completely outpace any landborne mammal...that's probably option one. And most vehicles are very durable and capable of sustaining more damage than a single unarmed human can generate. Even the windows.

It sounds like OP did nothing illegal and probably acted in the realm of self defense. Lots of dudes probably wish they could do the same. Slapping some jerk around is probably something many men consider to be immensely satisfying.

Consequently, that's probably why women live longer than men

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

camsdaddy
02-11-2021, 07:15 AM
I appreciate this thread. For Christmas I purchased myself and my girls each a can of spray. I have carried a sabre red in my pocket for years and its due to be replaced. I purchased an additional with intentions of showing them how to use it and the distance it can be deployed and the effects of wind etc. I hate to admit I have not gotten around to it. I look forward to following the above links and sharing that info as well.

RoyGBiv
02-11-2021, 07:38 AM
I appreciate this thread. For Christmas I purchased myself and my girls each a can of spray. I have carried a sabre red in my pocket for years and its due to be replaced. I purchased an additional with intentions of showing them how to use it and the distance it can be deployed and the effects of wind etc. I hate to admit I have not gotten around to it. I look forward to following the above links and sharing that info as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Sabre-Pepper-Practice-Canister-0-54-Ounce/dp/B00AEKFOVG

Way better than accidentally spraying yourself or your loved ones.

scw2
02-11-2021, 10:50 AM

They're cheaper than the actual units too which is nice, and you can keep the extra OC as backup. You never know when you might lose one, or have to go through security and throw one away. I think setting up a USPSA target can be good, or if you put on some eye pro and do some scenarios you can tie in some basic MUC, decision making and pepper spray deployment.

Lost River
02-11-2021, 11:54 AM
Navin Johnson saw what you did there....

What truly surprises me is that I make a one liner about a 40+ year old, cheesy late 70s movie and so many people know exactly what I am referring to..

PF truly delivers! :cool:

Lost River
02-11-2021, 12:01 PM

Sort of the same,

I gave my oldest girl a pocket size can of spray, as well as a big can of bear spray for her car, and for when she house-sits. Then I explained to her my mantra of "One Can-One Man".

If that does not work, she is free to hose them with lead from her cowboy action .45s

Maple Syrup Actual
02-11-2021, 12:02 PM
My satisfaction was not high and in fact I am embarrassed.

I'm not in any position to judge anyone, but that sentence would be the concern for me.

Get in fistfights or don't, that's not my call and to be honest I never minded getting in fights when I was young and in some contexts I think it's good for you, so I don't have a problem with that.

But if you're doing stuff you feel dumb about afterwards, that I would say is an indicator that you want to give some thought to your decision making process.

I haven't been in a fistfight in ten years, I don't think, but the last one I recall was dangerous and a stupid idea and I had a great time and didn't regret it at all.

IMO doing dumb dangerous stuff is not compatible with the whole "it's about safety" attitude that sensible people espouse, so either don't do that shit, OR embrace your inner lunatic. But either way, act in a manner consistent with your worldview.

Sorry, I'm not trying to give you a hard time here, I'm just saying that either path is fine, but don't do stuff that you yourself think is a mistake.

Malamute
02-11-2021, 12:52 PM
What truly surprises me is that I make a one liner about a 40+ year old, cheesy late 70s movie and so many people know exactly what I am referring to..

PF truly delivers! :cool:

Im guilty of Navin quotes.

Cashier: "Did you find everything you were looking for?" "This is all I need....this, and this...." Once in a while somebody gets it. :D

ECVMatt
02-11-2021, 03:23 PM
I was going to let this one die, but it seems to have struck a nerve so I will follow up after a bit of reflection, learning, and moving forward.

First of all I have the deepest respect for the professionals that do this everyday. As many of you have pointed out, this situation could have gone in many different directions. I was fortunate, but it still caused a flood of emotions, second guessing, and internalizing. I can’t imagine what it takes to do this on a daily basis.

In terms of the event itself, I am torn. I realize the value of staying in the vehicle, driving away, and reporting to police when safe. Hands down this is the best solution. However when I think about the other people in the parking lot, their faces, and what could have happened to them I am OK with my decision. Part of living in a society is working together to keep each other safe. Relying on the professionals is the best plan, but is not always an available plan. I saw older and vulnerable people being terrorized and trapped in a situation they could not escape. I made a decision, right or wrong to help, and I am prepared to deal with whatever outcomes may arise.

It also seems that the use of violence is somehow equated to being macho or making a display to impress others.I did not beat my chest, try to film the altercation or even exchange words with the other person. I tried to defuse the situation by the most efficient means at my disposal. When it was over I presented my ID to the authorities, answered their questions in a calm and respectful voice, and left when the interview was concluded. I did not stay around to high-five with other witnesses or get an Atta-boy. From my perspective, the level of violence used was in direct proportion to violence being displayed and no additional posturing or verbalizations were added to boost my ego.

Lastly I think my age has a lot to do with my emotions. As others have stated, if this incident happened in my twenties or thirties or maybe even my early 40’s I would have not given it a second thought. I would have gone home, told my friends, and we would have laughed about it over beers. Being in my 50’s, I guess I have more concern for my actions and their consequences. I think I am more apt to be embarrassed by my actions than I was as a younger man as my self-expectations for behavior are higher.

The lessons that I have learned are many. First and foremost is that I have become complacent in the neighborhood where I work. I need to remain vigilant and aware of my surroundings. Secondly, not only staying in the vehicle, but allowing for room to maneuver the vehicle is the best plan. If I need something on the way home, I will go to a safer location where things like this are less likely to happen. I have also begun to explore other available options for my safety and are both legal and have a smaller potential for harm to both myself and whoever else might be involved. And lastly Double/Doubles are bad for my waistline.

I am sure that I will continue to reflect upon, grow, and improve my mindset as time goes on. At this point it’s time to move on to more “Opti-Grabbing-It” comments and let this one go.

RoyGBiv
02-11-2021, 03:34 PM
I am sure that I will continue to reflect upon, grow, and improve my mindset as time goes on. At this point it’s time to move on to more “Opti-Grabbing-It” comments and let this one go.

Thanks for sharing. It's always good to be reminded and reflect on these possibilities.

Lost River
02-11-2021, 04:32 PM
Matt,

I would not sweat it. In fact you may have done a community service as Mr. Scrapper (who are usually tweaker/thieves) may think twice before he starts to act like a fool next time.

Somewhere in his little reptile brain this thought may occur "You are free to do what you want, but you are not free from the consequences of those actions".

Then he may recall that the last time he acted like a twit, someone pounded him into the asphalt.

CHEERS!

:cool:

camsdaddy
02-11-2021, 05:21 PM

Well that takes all of the fun out of things. Thank you. I bought some of the inert cans a few years ago. Don’t think I used them and don’t remember where I put them

RoyGBiv
02-11-2021, 05:26 PM
Well that takes all of the fun out of things. Thank you. I bought some of the inert cans a few years ago. Don’t think I used them and don’t remember where I put them

If I accidentally sprayed my son, he'd have a good story to tell. If I accidentally sprayed my daughter, same thing, but with more noise.

Either one... SWMBO would be extremely unhappy. Many days in the dog house.

FNFAN
02-11-2021, 06:38 PM
If I accidentally sprayed my son, he'd have a good story to tell. If I accidentally sprayed my daughter, same thing, but with more noise.

That would be a much more funny story than the one where the 6 year old whips out a pocket pepper spray from Mom's purse and gives a little air-burst in the middle of Lamaze Class. :cool:

Totem Polar
02-11-2021, 07:01 PM
In terms of the event itself, I am torn. I realize the value of staying in the vehicle, driving away, and reporting to police when safe. Hands down this is the best solution. However when I think about the other people in the parking lot, their faces, and what could have happened to them I am OK with my decision. Part of living in a society is working together to keep each other safe. Relying on the professionals is the best plan, but is not always an available plan. I saw older and vulnerable people being terrorized and trapped in a situation they could not escape. I made a decision, right or wrong to help, and I am prepared to deal with whatever outcomes may arise.

Yeah... at this point, since others have done the chastising, I just want to buy you that beer. If you ever get up to the inland NW, feel free to collect it.

ECVMatt
02-11-2021, 11:58 PM
Yeah... at this point, since others have done the chastising, I just want to buy you that beer. If you ever get up to the inland NW, feel free to collect it.

I will take you up on that!

Kirk
02-12-2021, 01:00 AM
I really appreciate you sharing your experience here, it gave me a lot to think about. I'm also really glad you are safe and made it out of a dangerous situation.

Quick question - where you armed? There are obviously other factors, but carrying AIWB is a main reason why I want to avoid going hands on whenever possible. Whenever I have rolled/trained with a blue gun, there is always an opportunity to end up fighting over your own gun. If anything, this thread has made me think about the need of pepper spray, especially in a vehicle.

ECVMatt
02-12-2021, 04:14 PM
I really appreciate you sharing your experience here, it gave me a lot to think about. I'm also really glad you are safe and made it out of a dangerous situation.

Quick question - where you armed? There are obviously other factors, but carrying AIWB is a main reason why I want to avoid going hands on whenever possible. Whenever I have rolled/trained with a blue gun, there is always an opportunity to end up fighting over your own gun. If anything, this thread has made me think about the need of pepper spray, especially in a vehicle.

Absolutely no gun. I agree with you 100%.

SkiDevil
02-12-2021, 10:39 PM
Can anyone recommend training opportunities for pepper spray in the LA area? Does anyone have a particular brand they recommend from 1st hand use? I realize that I could order some from Amazon (using the PF link) point and push, but I would prefer to get some knowledge about legality and effectiveness. I am pretty much starting from zero.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Hello Matt,
Someone already listed Sabre brand pepper spray. It works pretty well, and I used it personally and been sprayed with it in training. The effects lasted for several hours. There's a
LE and non-law enforcement versions. As someone already stated oc spray doesn't work 100%, but it's an option and it can be more difficult for an assailant to attack you if they can't see. One last thing, when deployed up close it usually gets on you too.

If by LA you mean Los Angeles, most Law Enforcement Academies offer courses to non-sworn individuals. Ben Clark Training Center or Riverside County Sheriff's Department Academy offers pepper spray training.

Avoiding a fight is usually the best option, but sometimes you have to deal with a problem rather than avoid it.

LJP
02-13-2021, 12:48 AM
Lots of good stuff to reflect on so far.

Not sure whether LA is Los Angeles or Louisiana, but my recommendations are:

POM for the actual spray. Sabre Mk6 as a second choice.

For instruction, Chuck Haggard, John Murphy, or Greg Ellifritz. I have trained with all of them and they are all top notch.

I struggle to consistently carry spray, which is my own fault and failure, but I think pepper spray is best viewed as a tool to gain distance and time.

I can respect what you did, although it would likely not have been my choice. You made a judgement call based on your experience and abilities and it was a good outcome. Good on you.