PDA

View Full Version : Red Dot Sights and Night Vision

Nocturnalis Discipulo
02-01-2021, 11:30 PM
I have recently decided to try out a pistol mounted dot. The future is now...maybe? Host will be a G45 via GSSF. I have also started into night vision, PVS14 22UA Unfilmed WP.

Most night vision training classes strongly recommend a dot for the pistol portions of the class. A thread on a different forum raised issues with NV capable red dots blocking enough IR light to prevent passive aiming, while having NV modes on the optic.

I am still waffling between RMR, ACRO, or 509T. I am open to others but leaning to closed emitter. Aimpoint and Trijicon seem to function well, Holosun and NV use seems niche enough to not get substantial feedback.

We have several members with night vision. I was hoping to hear from anyone with experience passive aiming through red dots, particularly pistol mounted. However this could also be a good place to compare and evaluate red dots with night vision functionality.

TCB
02-01-2021, 11:58 PM
Haven’t messed with the others but an ACRO is super easy to pick up with my PVS-14...

SoCalDep
02-02-2021, 03:26 AM
My experience with NVGs is very limited so keep that in mind.

I was introduced to NVGs with a PVS-14 green a couple years ago. I spent 10 minutes looking around amazed.

A bit over a year ago I was able to get a bit more time on a PVS-7B - Both shooting and walking around for about an hour and a half. Still obviously very limited experience. At that time I was running a S&W M&P9 M2.0 CORE with an RMR... No issues with the optic and was making 25 yard hits on a slightly smaller than A/C steel at 25 yards in 1.2 seconds. In the dark. Damn.

I put about 20-30 rounds through my way more experienced partner’s Glock using his DTNVGs (white phosphorous) But I can’t remember which optic. I want to say it was a Holosun but not sure. No issues and scary effective.

I’m at the end of saving for my own PVS-14 Unfilmed WP after lots of research and the good ‘ol US of A slingin’ me $3K for (me and my family) still being warm. I’m still researching what specs to request and hope to have the order placed by the end of the month so I can start my almost six month wait to get the PVS-14. I’ll use the interim time to get the helmet, mount, ear pro setup, pistol IR light, rifle IR laser, helmet light, and all the other crap the cool guys have. I didn’t need a Hyundai anyway!

This thread was very needed. Thanks for starting it!

Nocturnalis Discipulo
02-03-2021, 12:03 AM
SoCalDep I would strongly recommend for understanding and choosing specs [URL="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVe2qKNs849oDXplSyEV_3A"]]. He is Sam from TNVC he has built NVG's and trains people in operation of them, his videos are between 4-6 minutes and very information packed. I have watched his videos and spent hours talking to him, he is equally happy to talk even if you aren't going to buy from them. TNVC has somewhat long lead times at the moment but would recommend them easily.

To put some data into the thread I have used my Aimpoint Pro's on AR's with no issue although nothing else to compare to. Has worked easily and no significant IR filtering aiming passive or active.
I do plan on getting a riser or different mount to raise them to 1.93" or 2.26"

They would be somewhat unwieldy on a pistol though.

SoCalDep
02-03-2021, 02:39 AM
Haha... I’ve been watching his videos for a few weeks. He’s my main research source right now.