PDA

View Full Version : Tips for first IDPA match

Cornerpocket
07-05-2012, 07:16 PM
I posted this same request in another forum earlier today and got some nice responses. I figured it couldn't hurt to toss the same issue out in another place. I expect to be shooting my first IDPA match this Saturday. Other than Youtube videos, I've never seen an IDPA match, much less been in one. I'll probably be shooting my Glock 19. I shoot a lot of cardboard but have no experience in draws, reloads, shooting on the move, etc. Accepting that I will not master any of those skills in the next 48 hours, I did go to the basement yesterday and start endlessly inserting and dropping mags at speed (for me) just to try to establish some level of muscle memory but I'm expecting that other than that, my skills are pretty much what they are between now and game day. My basic game plan is as follows: 1) Shoot safely; 2) Have fun 3) Be willing to sacrifice speed for accuracy; and 4) To a reasonable degree, not get too hung up on where I end up in the standings. That is obviously about as broad as someone can get in terms of goals. I guess I'm looking to relax, get through this and get a feel for things for next time. That having been said, has anybody got any quick tips or just things that I could keep in mind that may help out. They're also predicting 103 degree temperatures for what its worth.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks much.

cmoore
07-05-2012, 07:40 PM
Read the rule book. IDPA is a game and you need to understand the rules to play it without getting unnecessary penalized. For example, you should understand what tactical sequence and tactical priority mean and the rules for reloading and using cover. It sounds like you already have a pretty good outlook on how to approach your first match mentally. Shoot at your own speed and get good hits (don't try to shoot too fast just because you see others shooting fast) and have fun.

Shawn.L
07-05-2012, 08:22 PM
Read the rule book. IDPA is a game and you need to understand the rules to play it without getting unnecessary penalized. For example, you should understand what tactical sequence and tactical priority mean and the rules for reloading and using cover. It sounds like you already have a pretty good outlook on how to approach your first match mentally. Shoot at your own speed and get good hits (don't try to shoot too fast just because you see others shooting fast) and have fun.

I wouldnt suggest you read the rule book, but do let the staff know your a new guy and ask questions to the SO at each stage about how to shoot the stage within the rules. That will be easier for you to follow then trying to wrap your head around all the rules and recall them and apply them at each stage as you go.

At any match Ive been to if its your first time they note that on your score sheet so the SO will know at each stage.

Have fun, and be safe.
The only person I know that won their first match they ever attended was me :)
(There where only 3 guys in my division)

ToddG
07-05-2012, 08:58 PM
4) To a reasonable degree, not get too hung up on where I end up in the standings.

I'd amend that to "don't worry about where I end up in the standings at all." If you have little to no training or experience drawing, reloading, etc. then you're going to be in a different dimension than the regulars who show up. You're essentially taking the common advice of go and watch the first time and adding some trigger time to it.

I'd recommend having at least passing familiarity with the parts of the rulebook that pertain to you. It can save you (and the ROs) a lot of headache. It also gives you an opportunity to figure out if there are any questions you have that the ROs or other competitors could answer.

I'd ask the ROs or people on your squad for advice on each stage. You might learn little, you might learn a lot. But it will give them opportunities to point out potential pitfalls, safety hazards, etc.

MikeyC
07-05-2012, 09:50 PM
Repeat the course of fire to the RO as it's explained to you. some of the shooting instructions will sound a little weird at first, but once you wrap your head around them they're pretty easy

cclaxton
07-05-2012, 10:14 PM
It's hard to add much to what has already been said, but let me add a few safety and procedural things:
1) Memorize the list of safety violations that can get you a DQ and dry fire practice making sure you don't violate them:
a) Watch to see if you do anything during a draw or holster or reloads where you would muzzle yourself (Weak hand in front of muzzle, muzzle pointed at your feet, the muzzle pointed close to 90 degrees left or right, etc.)
b) violating the 180 degree plane from your gun towards the target area. Sometimes this can be less than 180 in some ranges.
c) a lot of clubs don't allow reloads with the muzzle pointing above the berms, so practice reloads keeping the muzzle pointed downrange;
d) Running your weak hand in front of the muzzle when attempting to draw back the slide or put the gun into slide lock

2) Have three mags that can handle 10-11 rounds each. You will start with 11 rounds in a mag most of the time and two mags with 10.
3) Allow the SO to direct EVERY action during your loading and unloading:
a) When you get to the line do not touch your gun until you hear "Load and Make Ready," which means put your first mag into the gun, rack slide and chamber check, then safety on, if necessary, then slowly carefully holster. If you need to do a Barney Mag, tell the SO. If you make a mistake, STOP, tell the SO what you need to do. Then allow the SO to direct you (OK, Holster the gun, change out mags, or Unload and holster, etc.)
b) When the Buzzer goes off listen for SO "STOP" command in case of a problem, and immediately freeze what you are doing until the SO directs you.
c) When you finish shooting, do not do anything until SO directs you: "If shooter is done, show clear gun." Release mag and put in pocket while holding muzzle downrange, wait for SO, "show clear" (Eject round), wait for SO, "slide forward" (release slide), wait for SO, "shoot berm/hammer down" (pull the trigger), "holster" (holster). Wait for SO to say "Range is Clear" or just "CLEAR," and only then can you move from your position. The reason you need to wait for each action is that the SO needs to verify each action visually, and if you go too fast or skip that step he might have missed it.

4) It is easy to forget the COF when you start shooting, so before you start verify you know how many rounds per target and in what order they must be shot: Sequence, Priority, Slice the Pie, etc.

Whatever happens your SO is your guide to help you figure out what to do next....just get that finger off the trigger and keep it downrange and ask.

You are entering an exciting and fun sport....welcome. It won't be long before this will become routine.
CC

Morning after addition: In some COF, you will shoot multiple "strings" and you will be asked to top-off your gun instead of "show clear." In that case wait for the SO "Reload/top-off" command, then remove the mag while muzzle is downrange and put in pocket, pull out full mag and insert, chamber-check, and holster. THEN top-off your magazines, if needed or rearrange your mags in your pouch. (You may want to keep loose ammo in pocket if you only have three mags). You are not on the clock during your strings, so take time to operate safely.

ScoobTEQ
07-05-2012, 10:55 PM
My basic game plan is as follows: 1) Shoot safely; 2) Have fun 3) Be willing to sacrifice speed for accuracy; and 4) To a reasonable degree, not get too hung up on where I end up in the standings. That is obviously about as broad as someone can get in terms of goals. I guess I'm looking to relax, get through this and get a feel for things for next time. That having been said, has anybody got any quick tips or just things that I could keep in mind that may help out. They're also predicting 103 degree temperatures for what its worth.

You've pretty much got it. Take your time and have fun! Regardless of whatever prep you do, when that shot timer beeps, your brain will take a brief vacation, so definitely repeat the sequence to the SO when they ask if you understand.

Bring lots of water and sunscreen!

I started shooting IDPA about 18months ago, and just got my SO certification. You won't be competitive your first time out, so look at this as a familiarization course.

Oh, and did I say have fun? :)

Pennzoil
07-06-2012, 02:03 PM
A lot of good advice already but I'll throw in you my want to pick up a copy of Julie Golob's SHOOT book (http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/539/shootbook.jpg).

I'm new to competitive shooting also but have experience in shooting, drawing, reloading and I really enjoyed the book. It only goes over a basic overview on IDPA but has a large amount of info/illustrations around shooting fundamentals, items to take to competition, range etiquette, practice etc. This book is what finally got me to start shooting competitions and now I've been doing around 1 to 2 matches (USPSA/Steel Challenge) a week since aquiring this book :p.

Plus the ladies in your life will probably like the book also. Mine do.
http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/539/shootbook.jpg

NickA
07-06-2012, 02:21 PM
I know locally they make it a point to let new shooters go last on each stage, giving them as many chances as possible to see it done before they go. I'd ask for that if they don't already do it. Other than that sounds like you've got it covered, just relax, have fun and be safe above all else.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

jetfire
07-06-2012, 02:43 PM
Don't get DQ'd.
Find the guys who are awesome and see if they'll let you squad with them and ask questions.
Have fun.
Don't get DQ'd.
Help tape, reset, and generally be cool.

Everything else is just gunhandling and practice, so don't worry about it.

Cornerpocket
07-06-2012, 02:57 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. A little more dry firing and mag changes in the basement tonight and I'll see how it goes tomorrow. Your help and suggestions are appreciated.

seabiscuit
08-30-2012, 06:42 PM
I'm going to do my first IDPA match this month, also looking for advice, mainly on gear.

I'll shoot my current carry setup: G26 in a Comp-Tac Infidel. I have two 26 mags and a 19 mag. I can't use the 19 mag, can I? Do I need another 26 mag?

I'll be buying a Gen4 G19 next month, carry it in a Dark Star AIWB. Thinking about a Dark Star OWB or a Comp-Tac paddle for an IDPA holster.

Do I need an ammo dump bag? Range bag?

shootist26
08-30-2012, 06:55 PM
I'm going to do my first IDPA match this month, also looking for advice, mainly on gear.

I'll shoot my current carry setup: G26 in a Comp-Tac Infidel. I have two 26 mags and a 19 mag. I can't use the 19 mag, can I? Do I need another 26 mag?

I'll be buying a Gen4 G19 next month, carry it in a Dark Star AIWB. Thinking about a Dark Star OWB or a Comp-Tac paddle for an IDPA holster.

Do I need an ammo dump bag? Range bag?

The Comptac holsters are great.

You should bring a range bag with all the equipment you need to shoot the match:
-Magazines (minimum 3)
-Ammo (try to bring 150% of the min round count)
-Lube and and basic tools to make any basic field repairs/adjustments you need
-Eyes and ears
-Water and snacks (depending on how many people usually show up at a match, you could be there for a couple hours to the entire day)

You do not need a dump bag. The only thing you need to show up on the line is your holstered gun, three magazines loaded to division capacity, and eyes/ears. If you have 10 round mags, you can use a fourth mag as your "barney" mag to put one in the chamber. Division capacity for SSP is 10+1 in the gun, and 2x 10 round mags on your belt.

TheRoland
08-30-2012, 07:34 PM
The G19 mag is fine, so long as when the buzzer goes off, no magazine has more than 10 rounds in it.

Keep in mind Appendix carry is not legal in IDPA, although a local club may be fine with it.

seabiscuit
08-30-2012, 08:03 PM
Thanks! Also, I remembered I have Vickers slide stop and mag release on my 26. I'm not gonna be competitive, hopefully the club is ok with that.

Skullybones
08-30-2012, 09:16 PM
Seabiscuit,
Are you going to the FRIDPA match Sunday Sept. 9?

seabiscuit
08-30-2012, 09:22 PM
No, although I'm back in town for training, I don't have all my gear here. PCS'd this summer.

ADulay
08-31-2012, 11:39 AM
Go to the match.

Watch, listen, help paste and most important, have FUN shooting your gun in a manner that is so much better than just punching holes in a static target.

No, you won't beat many people, at least the first time out, but you'll see where your own weaknesses are and that's a great starting point.

Once you begin to see how a lot of the regulars shoot, you may tend to pick one out and use them as a person to try to match or keep up with.

I've got about 4 or 5 guys that I've brought into our club for IDPA. They consistently finish at or near the bottom of the pack but between the four of them, it's a World Class Shoot and bragging rights for the three guys who leave the last guy in the dust!

Think FUN and learning and you'll have a great time.

AD (IDPA SSP/MM CDP/MM)

SteveK
09-01-2012, 07:47 PM
Seek out someone who is experienced and ask questions. Knowing the rules and procedures is only half the battle. Ask about gear preparedness. How many magazines should I have. How should I be prepared when I get to the line? I like to have a minimum of six magazine with me and always load them up before the next stage. Practice weapons handling and manipulation and be proficient with that. Nerves will kick in under stress and the more proficient you are the safer you wil be.

MikeyC
09-01-2012, 08:45 PM
The different slide and mag release just change your classification, though if it's just a club match I doubt anyone will care at all.

seabiscuit
09-18-2012, 09:47 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but I didn't see anything about the sequence in which targets need to be engaged in the rulebook, except that you have to slice the pie. Is there no requirement to put one round in each target before putting additional rounds in targets?

Shokr21
09-18-2012, 10:23 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but I didn't see anything about the sequence in which targets need to be engaged in the rulebook, except that you have to slice the pie. Is there no requirement to put one round in each target before putting additional rounds in targets?

I'll admit freely to not have read the IDPA rulebook and to only have shot a dozen or so matches.

I have however, read the USPSA rulebook (a couple of times) and do shoot weekly matches.

I do like shooting IDPA, I shoot with my carry gear (g19) + 1 mag and mag pouch, vs shooting my "gamer" g17 in a doh (all stock except for sights).

I think getting the necessary hits on target before transitioning to the next target just makes sense. Splits on target are more often than not going to be less than transition splits. Get your hits on a target then transition to get hits on the next target.

ADulay
09-19-2012, 04:14 PM

Right from the rulebook.....

Tactical Sequence,
all targets are engaged with one round each before being
engaged again. In the case of three (3) targets requiring two (2)
rounds each, all targets would be engaged with one round to each
target BEFORE reengaging the targets with another round in any
order (1-1-2-1-1).

AD

seabiscuit
09-19-2012, 05:11 PM
Thanks!

markp
09-19-2012, 05:24 PM

CoF 10. Targets must be engaged in tactical priority unless
tactical sequence is specified. Targets within two (2) yards of
each other relative to the distance from the shooter are
considered to be equal in threat.

Unless the course description requires it, there is no requirement to "put one round in each target before putting additional rounds in targets." ie tactical sequence.

seabiscuit
09-19-2012, 07:46 PM
So that's something that would be briefed before the stage starts?

cclaxton
09-19-2012, 08:43 PM

Before each COF, the SO will brief you on COF requirements. By default you must engage targets as you see them from cover (slicing the pie) or as you see them on the move behind cover/objects, or near to far, UNLESS the COF specifies that it be in tactical sequence. If tactical sequence is specified, it must be one shot in each specified target and then any other shots. It could be, for instance, tactical sequence head shots and then another one in the A/0 areas.

There are possible illegal COF that can specify shots from cover and near to far....that is an illegal COF under the rules. I would also think that a sequence starting with a target from cover that exposes you to the first target before shooting it would be illegal or a procedural.

CC

YVK
09-19-2012, 09:52 PM

I make sure to ask the sequence they expect you to shoot. SecondsCount was assessed a stupidest procedural penalty during recent match when tactical priority rule wasn't consistent with shoot them as you see them rule.

markp
09-19-2012, 10:55 PM

Correct.
Our local club is notorious for having TacSeq written into the stage descriptions.
Usually in the form of :
"Enagage T1-3 in Tac Seq while moving to Position 2.."

Jjsingle1
09-29-2018, 04:05 PM
I am new to IDPA and I shoot a S&W M&P 2.0 9mm compact, Ive been shooting in SSP but I see I could shoot in CCP. Any opinions as to which I should shoot in. Thanks for any feed back.

GyroF-16
09-29-2018, 10:04 PM
I am new to IDPA and I shoot a S&W M&P 2.0 9mm compact, Ive been shooting in SSP but I see I could shoot in CCP. Any opinions as to which I should shoot in. Thanks for any feed back.

The big difference will be the allowable magazine capacity. SSP allows 10 rds, In CCP you can only load 8.
In the match, this will mean one more reload (for a likely total fo 2) per stage, compared to the shooters shooting SSP. If you want more practice reloading under pressure, have at it. If you want to compare your score overall against other shooters, CCP will put you at a disadvantage.
The only other real difference is that more aftermarket mods are allowed in CCP (same mods as for ESP) compared to SSP. For some that want to run with magwell extensions, externally visible trigger stops, etc, SSP could be more appealing.
Bottom line, just need to decide what you want to focus on, and try that for awhile.
You can always try SSP in one match, and shoot as CCP in the next one, and see what you prefer.

Jjsingle1
09-29-2018, 10:17 PM
The big difference will be the allowable magazine capacity. SSP allows 10 rds, In CCP you can only load 8.
In the match, this will mean one more reload (for a likely total fo 2) per stage, compared to the shooters shooting SSP. If you want more practice reloading under pressure, have at it. If you want to compare your score overall against other shooters, CCP will put you at a disadvantage.
The only other real difference is that more aftermarket mods are allowed in CCP (same mods as for ESP) compared to SSP. For some that want to run with magwell extensions, externally visible trigger stops, etc, SSP could be more appealing.
Bottom line, just need to decide what you want to focus on, and try that for awhile.
You can always try SSP in one match, and shoot as CCP in the next one, and see what you prefer.

So you don’t think a 3.75” barrel has a disadvantage to a 5”?

GyroF-16
09-30-2018, 11:54 AM
So you don’t think a 3.75” barrel has a disadvantage to a 5”?

I’m confused now...

I thought your question was asking about using the same gun (M&P Compact) in one category or the other.

Are you asking whether to use a full-size or a compact pistol in IDPA?

Jjsingle1
09-30-2018, 08:04 PM
I’m confused now...

I thought your question was asking about using the same gun (M&P Compact) in one category or the other.

Are you asking whether to use a full-size or a compact pistol in IDPA?

Yes that is what I’m asking, from what I’ve read you can use any pistol with up to a 5” Barrel in the ssp division. my m&p compact has a 3 3/4” Barrel. Do you not think that is a big disadvantage?

Jim Watson
10-01-2018, 09:10 AM
My question is, do you own a full size gun that otherwise meets IDPA requirements?
If not, shoot your Compact and have a good time.

The shorter sight radius and lower load (in CCP) are a disadvantage.
I noticed that I finished above several shooters Saturday that I consider to be my equal or better. Then I noticed they were shooting CCP while I was shooting ESP. So 5", 10 shots, and 3.75 lb trigger were an advantage.

But so what?
IDPA recognizes each Division individually. Your CCP plaque looks just like the one for ESP, SSP, etc. If you win.

Zincwarrior
10-01-2018, 09:28 AM
As noted above, a shorter barrel/slide will typically be less accurate. If competing, use the CCP category or a longer pistol. If there to have trigger time/fun with your carry piece, then use it.

jetfire
10-01-2018, 11:13 AM
As noted above, a shorter barrel/slide will typically be less accurate.

Less easy to shoot accurately. There’s very little difference in mechanical accuracy between a 3.5 inch barrelled semi-automatic pistol and a 4.5 inch pistol from the same manufacturer, unless that manufacturer is shitty.

GyroF-16
10-01-2018, 11:20 AM
Yes that is what I’m asking, from what I’ve read you can use any pistol with up to a 5” Barrel in the ssp division. my m&p compact has a 3 3/4” Barrel. Do you not think that is a big disadvantage?

Here’s my take...
I haven’t found barrel length to effect inherent accuracy in the 3-10 yd range for the shorter guns that I’ve tried. In fact, I shot a compact gun in SSP for close to 10 years because it was my daily carry gun. Now, I would agreee that a shortet barrel will often make it more challenging to be accurate quickly, and since IDPA requires 2, and sometimes more, hits on each target, rapid follow-up shots are helpful.
So, all things being equal, a longer barrel is better.
But all things are not equal... CCP requires that you load 2 fewer rounds in each magazine. And, as I mentioned in my earlier post, that usually drives one more required reload per stage. Now, my best shot-to-shot splits with a slide lock reload between the shots averages just under 3 seconds. So, a question to consider is whether, when shooting CCP, your shot split times for ALL THE OTHER shots will be quick enough to offset the additional 3 seconds that will be inherently added to your run due to an additional reload. Otherwise, shoot SSP and save that 3 seconds.

Ultimately, as has already been said, you’ll be most competitive within CCP, but your overall match standing will be higher if you compete in SSP.

Just decide why you’re shooting (improve familiarity with your gun, practice more slidelock reloads under pressure, have fun, win your division, etc.), then pick a division and just go shoot.

And, as I said before, you can compete in CCP in one match and then try SSP in another so see which you like the best. The only difference while shooting will be more, or less, reloading on the clock.

Jjsingle1
10-01-2018, 12:13 PM
Here’s my take...
I haven’t found barrel length to effect inherent accuracy in the 3-10 yd range for the shorter guns that I’ve tried. In fact, I shot a compact gun in SSP for close to 10 years because it was my daily carry gun. Now, I would agreee that a shortet barrel will often make it more challenging to be accurate quickly, and since IDPA requires 2, and sometimes more, hits on each target, rapid follow-up shots are helpful.
So, all things being equal, a longer barrel is better.
But all things are not equal... CCP requires that you load 2 fewer rounds in each magazine. And, as I mentioned in my earlier post, that usually drives one more required reload per stage. Now, my best shot-to-shot splits with a slide lock reload between the shots averages just under 3 seconds. So, a question to consider is whether, when shooting CCP, your shot split times for ALL THE OTHER shots will be quick enough to offset the additional 3 seconds that will be inherently added to your run due to an additional reload. Otherwise, shoot SSP and save that 3 seconds.

Ultimately, as has already been said, you’ll be most competitive within CCP, but your overall match standing will be higher if you compete in SSP.

Just decide why you’re shooting (improve familiarity with your gun, practice more slidelock reloads under pressure, have fun, win your division, etc.), then pick a division and just go shoot.

And, as I said before, you can compete in CCP in one match and then try SSP in another so see which you like the best. The only difference while shooting will be more, or less, reloading on the clock.

jamautry
10-04-2018, 03:40 PM
There is a lot going on and it is a rare new competitive shooter that can handle it all. Therefore, I am a big proponent of shooting in the division that has the greatest magazine capacity. The reason is it eliminates the number of required reloads and therefore you can spend more time concentrating on the shooting aspect. Once you get comfortable shooting and moving, etc then go back to the division that is most competitive for the gun you are shooting.
I would go so far as to recommend finding a USPSA match close to you and shot your compact in limited minor with fully loaded magazines. Will you be competitive? No, but you will shorten your learning curve considerably just concentrating on shooting and not worry about reloads and the all the rules IDPA has. Then when you are comfortable on the USPSA stages go back to CCP in IDPA and everything will seem much slower and you will be able to handle the extra reloads and rules without much of a problem

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk