PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with CMP 'Special' grade M1s?

JimLob65
01-26-2021, 09:04 AM
I have an opportunity to scratch an old itch. A local private seller has a CMP 'Special' grade H&R M1 Garand with new wood and barrel, all metal either refinished or new, unfired and with all the CMP stuff and a bandoleer of HXP in en blocs. Certainly not cheap at $1500 asking price. IIRC the CMP was selling H&R 'Special' grade for $1250 when I was at the North Store last July, so the price isn't out of line with the added ammo. From the description and pictures there doesn't appear to be any pitting on the receiver or op rod.

I have owned a couple of Garands for years, a Winchester and a 4 digit SA. Neither are collectors, being mismatched and the 4 digit having been rebarreled. I have always wanted a 'like new' M1 Garand and this seems to fit the bill. However it isn't cheap, my Garand match shooting days are behind me and the aging eyes aren't getting any better, as was evident while trying to shoot my then new M1a last summer! Therefore I want to make sure as best I can that CMP Special grades are intrinsically worth the freight. Anyone had any first hand experience with them?

Duelist
01-26-2021, 10:02 AM
It is as close as you can get to a brand new rifle. My one experience with one was very nice - an old friend of mine got one when he decided to finally scratch the CMP itch. We shot it a lot while he lived nearby. Military .30’06 from a Garand is a very pleasant shooting experience.

If you’ve got the money, I’d say grab it - you may have trouble finding ammo any other way, even if you decided getting a Garand that nice wasn’t exactly what you wanted. I know some prefer the service worn rifles because dad or granddad could have carried it in the Belgian forest or at Guadalcanal, and I get that. But if what you want is as nice a Garand as can be had (generally), then this is your Huckleberry.

fatdog
01-26-2021, 11:54 AM
Know several owners. They tend to be very nice rifles. The crew building those at CMP are pretty experienced, and it is pretty much a hand built rifle with hand picked parts and a new barrel. I would imagine it is on par at least with what the arsenals and Springfield themselves were putting out with their rebuilds in the 50's, and those Criterion barrels they have been using are probably better in most cases.

Same crew operating as the CMP custom shop took in my "field grade" Springer about a decade ago and rebarreled it with one of those Criterion barrels, put in a new bolt and op rod. It is the best shooter in my M1 collection now, even better than the high grade Harvester with the LMR barrel I earned back in '87.

JimLob65
01-26-2021, 12:24 PM
I checked out the Fulton Armory site and it appears the equivalent FA rifle would run almost $1k more. The seller is offering to break in & lap the barrel for an additional $50, not including ammo. I have always just cleaned & shot a new rifle/barrel so I am not sure if that would be a good idea.

DDTSGM
01-26-2021, 12:28 PM
I've been to the CMP Advanced Maintenance Course given at Anniston AL. They essentially walked us through building our own CMP Special.

Based on that experience, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one off the rack, in fact I'd like to get one in .308.

Flat6
01-26-2021, 09:36 PM
I have one. It’s a different flavor from the service grade rifles. You’ll appreciate how well things were made then and
what it would cost to replicate in today’s environment.

Wish the Greek ammo was still cheap. They always made their way to range trips at .29 a round.

CleverNickname
01-26-2021, 10:17 PM
Buy it. I made a detour to CMP South on a road trip last October and picked one up in person. They had a dozen or so in a rack you could choose from, and I would have been happy with any of them.

Buying one for $1500 instead of jumping through a few extra hoops and getting one direct from CMP for half that amount seems like a poor choice though.

JimLob65
01-26-2021, 10:22 PM
After doing some more research I found that HRA Special M1s sold for $1050, and not the $1250 that I thought I had seen last summer. IHC Specials sold gor $1250. Also found on the Criterion web site that all M1 Garand barrels are hand lapped at Criterion. Therefore if I do buy it I will forego the break-in/lapping of the barrel and do some lapping on my own.

Still pondering. It has been up for sale since early November with no obvious interest or price drops. While I don't begrudge the seller making some $$ I figure he has about $1125 into it not including possible travel expenses. However, if it is in the shape he claims it may very well be worth the cash. Beyond that I justified buying my M1a last year because I decided my Garands were getting too old to shoot, given the cost of placement parts unless using Garand specific ammo, a pretty good justification I think :o.

HCM
01-27-2021, 12:29 AM
I checked out the Fulton Armory site and it appears the equivalent FA rifle would run almost $1k more. The seller is offering to break in & lap the barrel for an additional $50, not including ammo. I have always just cleaned & shot a new rifle/barrel so I am not sure if that would be a good idea.

Barrel break in is a contentious topic. Sone swear it’s necessary 100% of the time, some never do it and claim it’s 100% unnecessary.

Here’s the deal. It depends on how much finishing your barrel maker does. So I would go off the recommendation of the barrel maker.

Here’s what Criterion has to say: https://criterionbarrels.com/media/barrel-break-in-procedure/?v=00dc5da36527

If I’m reading that correctly Criterion says their barrels are already lapped from the factory.

JimLob65
01-27-2021, 06:36 AM
Barrel break in is a contentious topic. Sone swear it’s necessary 100% of the time, some never do it and claim it’s 100% unnecessary.

Here’s the deal. It depends on how much finishing your barrel maker does. So I would go off the recommendation of the barrel maker.

Here’s what Criterion has to say: https://criterionbarrels.com/media/barrel-break-in-procedure/?v=00dc5da36527

If I’m reading that correctly Criterion says their barrels are already lapped from the factory.

I read that on the Criterion web site as well. Generally, my break-in procedure for a new barrel or rifle has been to take it to the range and shoot it! Rarely do I shoot a bunch of rounds through a rifle during a range trip, opting to shoot a few guns during a trip. Also, I am not sure either of the ranges I frequent would allow that procedure to be done!

SecondsCount
01-27-2021, 07:52 AM
It sounds to me like this guy is expecting a premium for the rifle in this current market. The problem is that except for demand, I don't see a reason for the higher price. While it is semi-auto, the Garand doesn't have any evil features that put it in danger of being banned.

As far as lapping the barrel goes, it would be a waste of time in my opinion. It is a beautiful old military rifle, unbedded in a wood stock, with a great big gas system hanging off the barrel. Accuracy expectations should be around 2 MOA with good ammo.

farscott
01-27-2021, 10:35 AM
If you can go to the North Store, I would go there and take a look at what is on the rack. If a better deal for the same type is available from the CMP, opt for that. If not or you cannot go, you can continue to shop or engage with the local seller. If there has been no interest, he may be willing to deal. If he is not, you have a data point and can continue to search.

JimLob65
01-27-2021, 10:58 AM
If you can go to the North Store, I would go there and take a look at what is on the rack. If a better deal for the same type is available from the CMP, opt for that. If not or you cannot go, you can continue to shop or engage with the local seller. If there has been no interest, he may be willing to deal. If he is not, you have a data point and can continue to search.

As I understand it the stores are closing for a few days to restock after the pandemic disruption. I was there in July and they had a pretty good stock back then.

revchuck38
01-27-2021, 11:00 AM
farscott- Which store has the better selection of rifles? I'm primarily interested in an 03A3 but would like a Garand too.

HCM
01-27-2021, 12:15 PM
I read that on the Criterion web site as well. Generally, my break-in procedure for a new barrel or rifle has been to take it to the range and shoot it! Rarely do I shoot a bunch of rounds through a rifle during a range trip, opting to shoot a few guns during a trip. Also, I am not sure either of the ranges I frequent would allow that procedure to be done!

Unless I have a custom barrel who’s maker specifically recommend a particular breaking protocol, I do the same thing, Just take the gun out and shoot it.

Some custom barrels are intentionally left somewhat unfinished and have specific breaking or lapping procedures. However, barring that, doing a lapping process on a barrel that was already finished and lapped from the factory Seems like it would do more harm than good.

On standard factory guns with fully finished barrels there is no reason to do any voodoo and chicken bones barrel break and procedure. In fact, JM Campbell and I once witnessed someone blow up a brand new Ruger Percision and 6.5 Creedmoor because they fired it with a patch left in the boar while doing just such a break and procedure.

farscott
01-27-2021, 01:02 PM
@farscott (https://pistol-forum.com/member.php?u=2197)- Which store has the better selection of rifles? I'm primarily interested in an 03A3 but would like a Garand too.

Not sure as never been to North Store. The South Store is an easy day trip for me. The North Store is a long weekend.

Spartan1980
01-27-2021, 01:37 PM
I have a CMP Service Grade that's almost in Special Grade condition. It's an HRA.

IIRC, it's a 1955 or 56 version with the original barrel that was hardly shot at all. It had a gage readings were .5 at the chamber and 0+ at the muzzle. It came with new wood and was a total refinish mixmaster as it has a SA trigger group. Most of the rest is HRA but I've never even documented it all since it's a shooter. It's a very nice one and CMP knows their stuff when assembling them, you'll get a rifle that is fully in-spec and shootable. I wouldn't hesitate if you want it.

JimLob65
01-27-2021, 02:06 PM
Buy it. I made a detour to CMP South on a road trip last October and picked one up in person. They had a dozen or so in a rack you could choose from, and I would have been happy with any of them.

Buying one for $1500 instead of jumping through a few extra hoops and getting one direct from CMP for half that amount seems like a poor choice though.

I have bought from the CMP in the past, and have jumped through the hoops. I had visited there last July. This rifle is attractive to me because I have wanted an 'as new' condition M1 for years, and it is a HRA to boot. According to the seller the metal has no pitting, which is good news as not all Specials are like that. Also, it isn't double the cost of a service grade, although it is costlier, but has a new barrel and wood to boot.

Wyoming Shooter
01-27-2021, 05:09 PM
Gentlemen -

As a new CMP board member, I am heartened by the positive feedback in this thread. We have another batch of M1s from Turkey that should arrive soon. Some day, there will be no more. The next CMP board meeting is March 24 - 26, 2021, God willing and Covid Creek don't rise. If you have anything you would like me to pass on to the CMP board and/or management, please let me know. Thanks.

JimLob65
01-27-2021, 06:02 PM
Gentlemen -

As a new CMP board member, I am heartened by the positive feedback in this thread. We have another batch of M1s from Turkey that should arrive soon. Some day, there will be no more. The next CMP board meeting is March 24 - 26, 2021, God willing and Covid Creek don't rise. If you have anything you would like me to pass on to the CMP board and/or management, please let me know. Thanks.

It's great to hear that someone involved with the CMP is on this board. Thank you for participating!!
My brother and I went to the North store last July, first time I have been there in years. We found all the staff very patient, friendly and very helpful! I observed a worker individually assisting a customer several times in my short time there with information invaluable to the customer. That kind of knowledge is a resource that cannot be found anywhere but a place where the staff is directly involved and interested in the stuff being sold. Those of us who are interested in historic American military firearms are blessed with having the CMP. Please thank them for me.

JimLob65
01-28-2021, 04:28 PM
I made the drive out to visit the seller last night and brought the rifle home with me. It was as advertised, and better! It's a pristine M1 Garand that looks like it just came out of H&R in 1955. There is absolutely no pitting found anywhere on it.

He was a really nice older gentleman, a shooter that shoots competitively and is very knowledgeable about surplus firearms, particular American. Had my many questions answered promptly and fully.

I may have paid a premium for a non collectible M1, but I am very happy with my new rifle. Taking it to the range tomorrow!!

farscott
01-28-2021, 05:33 PM
Nice rifle. And I disagree that it is not collectible. It is still an example of the last service rifle freely available as-issued. They were made at a time when rifles were steel and wood, the sights have never been bettered, and the rifles were used to win two wars.

Soxfan9
01-28-2021, 05:41 PM
Gentlemen -

Great news on the Turkish rifles. I currently have 2 more on order. Hopefully some ammo is coming with them?

Spartan1980
01-28-2021, 11:07 PM
It's great to hear that someone involved with the CMP is on this board. Thank you for participating!!
My brother and I went to the North store last July, first time I have been there in years. We found all the staff very patient, friendly and very helpful! I observed a worker individually assisting a customer several times in my short time there with information invaluable to the customer. That kind of knowledge is a resource that cannot be found anywhere but a place where the staff is directly involved and interested in the stuff being sold. Those of us who are interested in historic American military firearms are blessed with having the CMP. Please thank them for me.

And me! I just wished it was more widely known how the CMP came about and it's purpose. I'll probably need a kleenex when there are no more M1s for CMP to sell and use of the knowledge of the staff there but we all know that day will come. I hope another venue of all that knowledge materializes for all M1 owners. This particular history should never be forgotten.

JimLob65
01-29-2021, 11:51 AM
Just returned from the range, an indoor range with only a 50 yard range. Sorry...It’s Michigan in January!!

I was only able to shoot for a half hour. Rifle ran 100%, absolutely no problems with it. Ammo was 24 rounds of S&B 150 gr M2 ball purchased from the CMP last summer. Trigger was very nice for an M1 Garand. Empties all landed at 2 o’clock about 6-8 feet from the rifle. Clips popped out at about 3 o’clock about a foot or so from the rifle. Empty brass looked very good as well. I was able to dial it in to shoot about an inch above the bull after some fiddling around with the sights, about as accurately as I am able to shoot anymore!

Very happy with the rifle. Only regrets are the seller informed me he has a similar H&R Special in .308:rolleyes:, another long standing itch.

deputyG23
01-29-2021, 01:22 PM
farscott- Which store has the better selection of rifles? I'm primarily interested in an 03A3 but would like a Garand too.

I would jump on a shooter grade 03A3 if one becomes available at a reasonable price. Last one sold locally was a nice Smith-Corona which went for $1295 at our local big LGS.

HCM
01-29-2021, 01:23 PM
A good .308 Garand is on my want list.

Came across this from TX Machine Gun Ordnance

JimLob65
01-29-2021, 03:35 PM
I would jump on a shooter grade 03A3 if one becomes available at a reasonable price. Last one sold locally was a nice Smith-Corona which went for $1295 at our local big LGS.

I have owned two for many years. First one I bought is a Smith Corona mix master with a beautiful ‘C’ stock, up until recently my favorite rifle to shoot:rolleyes:, and a Remington that I think was rearsenaled, and then unissued after that. Barrel specs out as new. Both are exceptional shooters, and I would never part with them.

JimLob65
01-29-2021, 03:38 PM

Funny....my brother just sent me that same picture. Given my aging eyes I might just need one of those;).

I agree with your first statement. The seller offered to give me some time to recoup my cash stash. I asked him to set aside that H&R .308. As an added bonus he installed national match sights on this one.

HCM
01-29-2021, 04:31 PM
Funny....my brother just sent me that same picture. Given my aging eyes I might just need one of those;).

I agree with your first statement. The seller offered to give me some time to recoup my cash stash. I asked him to set aside that H&R .308. As an adonus he installed national match sights on this one.

They make a 1MOA dot RMR Which could actually be a good fit for this application. You just may need to add some type of cheek riser

Wyoming Shooter
02-01-2021, 07:01 PM
Gentlemen - FYI, here is a good video on the CMP Talladega range: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QqBgQzINPs&feature=youtu.be.

JimLob65
02-01-2021, 10:09 PM
I just returned home with the sellers other H&R M1 in .308!

When my wife arrived home from work the day after picking up the new 30.06 M1, I told her the seller had another CMP Special, but this one in .308. I said to her I told the seller that if he ever ran across a really nice M1 Garand in .308 that he would be interested in selling to please let me know. Unbelievably he had an H&R Special in .308 that he bought to turn into a match rifle but that he never got around to doing so. It had remained unfired, and that he would knock $100 off his price for me. Imagine my surprise when she was excited for me and asked if I was going to buy that one too:cool:!! I guess buying her that brand new Jeep Wrangler Islander was worth it:rolleyes:.

I have to say it is every bit as nice as the 30.06 H&R that I brought home last week. Absolutely no pitting in the metal, all newly reparked or new metal, brand new barrel lapped in by the seller, brand new wood, and a national match rear sight as an added bonus. Also bought 280 rounds of Lake City M2 ball in en bloc clips. Been a hell of a week!!

Lex Luthier
02-02-2021, 05:33 PM
I just returned home with the sellers other H&R M1 in .308!

When my wife arrived home from work the day after picking up the new 30.06 M1, I told her the seller had another CMP Special, but this one in .308. I said to her I told the seller that if he ever ran across a really nice M1 Garand in .308 that he would be interested in selling to please let me know. Unbelievably he had an H&R Special in .308 that he bought to turn into a match rifle but that he never got around to doing so. It had remained unfired, and that he would knock $100 off his price for me. Imagine my surprise when she was excited for me and asked if I was going to buy that one too:cool:!! I guess buying her that brand new Jeep Wrangler Islander was worth it:rolleyes:.

I have to say it is every bit as nice as the 30.06 H&R that I brought home last week. Absolutely no pitting in the metal, all newly reparked or new metal, brand new barrel lapped in by the seller, brand new wood, and a national match rear sight as an added bonus. Also bought 280 rounds of Lake City M2 ball in en bloc clips. Been a hell of a week!!

<golf clap>

Congratulations!

mistertwo
02-02-2021, 10:18 PM
Anyone know if special grades are still available in store? I was hoping to order one but see they are listed as sold out now. I'm not too far away from the South Store though.

JimLob65
02-03-2021, 05:15 AM
Anyone know if special grades are still available in store? I was hoping to order one but see they are listed as sold out now. I'm not too far away from the South Store though.

When I was at the North store in July there were several in stock. Haven't been there since though.

Soxfan9
02-03-2021, 09:41 AM

There is a CMP forum that is very active. Someone usually posts a daily inventory. Last one I saw, a few days ago, listed some specials.

JimLob65
02-04-2021, 07:05 PM
Included are a couple of pictures of the .308 H&R M1 Garand Special. I planned on posting them the day after I brought it home on Monday, but I decided to take it to the range after work on Tuesday. Unfortunately I had some issues with it, all seemingly caused by short stroking. I had a misfeed where a round was stuck at 11 o'clock, the empty clip wouldn't eject and it ejected but didn't feed a live round. I was shooting 147gr Aguila ammo which runs fine in my M1a. Hime it went where it was torn down, cleaned up & lubed. Long story short, it wouldn't run the Black Hills 168gr reman today either, but when I switched to PMC .308 it ran 100%. Evidently it needs some healthier ammo. It is a real beauty, with no pitting and a really nice stock. At some point I may do some trigger work, but it is very accurate even with the heavy trigger. It's a real keeper and I am very happy with it!

farscott
02-04-2021, 07:38 PM
I bet it handles the less potent rounds once it gets some rounds through it, the wear surfaces get polished, and the op rod spring gets used a bit. If that does not do the trick, I would check the gas plug. You may need a bit more gas imparting force to the op rod. If that is the case, the Schuster gas plug may be of interest. http://www.schustermfg.com/m1-garand-adjustable-gas-plug/

JimLob65
02-04-2021, 07:52 PM
I bet it handles the less potent rounds once it gets some rounds through it, the wear surfaces get polished, and the op rod spring gets used a bit. &nbsp;If that does not do the trick, I would check the gas plug. &nbsp;You may need a bit more gas imparting force to the op rod. &nbsp;If that is the case, the Schuster gas plug may be of interest. &nbsp;http://www.schustermfg.com/m1-garand-adjustable-gas-plug/

I did check the gas plug and it was tight. The Schuster adjustable gas plug won’t do anything to add additional gas pressure/volume. It only allows the shooter to vent excess gas so hunting ammo can be fired through the M1. I am sure you are right though. It should loosen up as more rounds are sent down the pipe.

Wyoming Shooter
02-22-2021, 11:05 AM

Can someone post a link to this mount please?

4gallonbucket
02-22-2021, 02:27 PM
"Garand Thumb" did a video on this sight about 5 years ago: https://youtu.be/er__eN-Xm_M

Hopco USA manufactures the one that I know: https://www.hopcousa.com/

JimLob65
02-23-2021, 05:10 AM
Just finished up doing the stock of the 30.06 rifle:

Although it doesn't show up real well under the LED lights while taken with my camera phone the stock came out really well, allowing the grain to really pop. I used fine & extra fine Scotch Brite pads to smooth out the wood and remove the excess stain. A half dozen thin layers, half of which were applied with a small piece of the extra fine Scotch Brite pad, of boiled linseed oil later and this is the result! The .308 M1 is next, after I finish up my M1a which is coming out really nice!!

JimLob65
03-02-2021, 03:13 PM
Last post I promise:p.

I finished up the stock on the .308 just today. Although I think I did the best job on this stock, the stock on the 30.06 is just a nicer piece of wood. Still, it looks very nice and I am very happy with the end result:

Here is a picture of both HRA M1 Garands, the 30.06 on top & the .308 in the foreground:

While the .308 is a really nice shooter it is still finicky with ammo. Unfortunately I have many boxes of Aguila 7.62x51 and .308 but it doesn't shoot it reliably, often short-stroking despite several attempts at tweaking it. The 30.06 has only had one bobble and has a much nicer trigger. However it takes a few shots to have the receiver settle into the stock after I have had it apart, the rounds not impacting where the sights were pointing to. I expect that putting more rounds downrange will help those issues.

In the meantime I also finished up the stock on my M1a. It came out beautifully:

Thanks for checking out my thread. I know it was long and drawn out, but I think it proved to be interesting.

farscott
03-02-2021, 05:31 PM
Keep the thread going as it is awesome. Nice to see both the .308 and .30-'06 Garand. I do have to ask how the M1A shoots. Some people swear by the M1A and others swear at it. I lack experience with the M1A, hence the question....

JimLob65
03-02-2021, 07:08 PM
Keep the thread going as it is awesome. Nice to see both the .308 and .30-'06 Garand. I do have to ask how the M1A shoots. Some people swear by the M1A and others swear at it. I lack experience with the M1A, hence the question....

I bought the M1a, actually justified the purchase, because I wanted to continue to shoot an M1 type rifle going forward, realizing that the Garands are getting pretty darn old. I have owned M1s for years, but took a long hiatus in shooting them until recently. In the meantime the eyes began to go south. My ability to not embarrass myself at the 200 yard range in a Garand match is pretty much gone, although to be honest I couldn’t hit the wall of a house from the inside while standing ever. Back to being on point, my first Garand is one of the first 6000 manufactured, although nowhere near original, making it about 83 years old!! When my local Sportsman’s Warehouse had one on the rack with a really nice stock, and during Springfield Armory’s yearly promotional campaign, I put the money down. When I had checked out M1as in the past they always struck me as being a bit rougher, maybe slightly grittier than the Garand. Of course the M1s I had owned for years are well worn in. I found when I lubed up the M1a much of that roughness was gone.

As part of the promotion I received an extra magazine IIRC, and the scope mount. Trying to shoot through the open sights at 100 yards is what led me to realize they eyes just weren’t there anymore. I found a good sale on the Leupold scope and mounted it up. Unfortunately the height of the scope mount takes my cheek off the stock, so I bought a leather cheek piece and laced it up. It helps, but wasn’t quite high enough so I will try adding more padding. It also sucked much of the oil out of the stock under the cheek piece, which I only discovered after taking off the cheek piece to refinish the stock!!

Shooting the M1a is very similar to shooting the M1 Garand, not surprising. My M1a is the loaded model with the match trigger, so it is pretty nice, although noticeably heavier than the Garands due to the steel scope mount and scope. I was surprised to discover that there wasn’t much of a difference in the amount of recoil between the M1a and the M1 I was shooting then, a 30.06. Neither are heavy kickers, both being actually amongst the nicest shooting 30.06/308 rifles you could probably shoot (I have never shot a SCAR or AR10, so I can’t compare to them). Actually, I shot my new AR15 today for the first time, a Ruger AR556 MPR, and was surprised at how much concussive force you get from the muzzle brake on it, much more than I remember getting off of either the M1 or M1a. It actually was a bit unpleasant. There is a bit of a different feel to shooting the M1a than the Garand though, just a difference you feel while the action is operating. Must be because of the different gas system as well as the 1/2 inch shorter bolt throw. Kind of hard to explain. Maybe not quite as refined feeling, but a bit more precise and mechanical...Does that make sense??

I am not the worlds best shooter, but I found that after scoping up the M1a I was able to shoot what would probably be the equivalent of 1.5” to 2” three to five shot groups at 100 yards on a good day. Unfortunately since scoping it I have only had the chance to shoot it indoors at a 50 yard range because of the weather (I live in Michigan). That is probably as good as I am able to shoot, if I can even do that well. I do know some shooters have been unhappy with the accuracy of their M1a rifles, especially the shorter barrel models, but I find mine is a sweet shooter, and very accurate at least for this shooter. I do really like the M1a though, although it isn’t quite the piece of history as the M1 Garand is, and lacks a bit of the mystique, especially without the ‘ping’ of the empty clip being ejected.

Farscott: I hope I haven’t been too long winded, and that I kind of answered your question. If you ever find yourself in S.E. Michigan, maybe you’ll get a chance to shoot an M1a;).

03RN
03-03-2021, 09:53 AM
I think people expect to much accuracy from M1As. They take a lot of work to get under a MOA. Then take a lot of work to stay there.

If you're happy with 2-3moa then the M1A will be just fine. Same with M1s imo.

farscott
03-03-2021, 11:47 AM
Farscott: I hope I haven’t been too long winded, and that I kind of answered your question. If you ever find yourself in S.E. Michigan, maybe you’ll get a chance to shoot an M1a;).

Thanks for sharing your experience and the offer. When COVID is not messing with travel, I usually fly into DTW at least four times per year. Everywhere from Auburn Hills to Warren to Dearborn to Novi. Perhaps I can buy you dinner after a range session.

JimLob65
03-03-2021, 05:15 PM
Thanks for sharing your experience and the offer. When COVID is not messing with travel, I usually fly into DTW at least four times per year. Everywhere from Auburn Hills to Warren to Dearborn to Novi. Perhaps I can buy you dinner after a range session.

That sounds like a plan! We’ll have to see if we can’t make that happen sometime in the future.

JimLob65
03-28-2021, 05:56 AM
Since purchasing the .308 HRA M1 Garand I have been struggling with ftf's in this rifle, caused by short-stroking. After repeated efforts to fix what may be a gas problem or an op rod spring problem, or some other unknown mechanical problem, and a couple trips back to the seller, a great guy who is pretty knowledgeable about these rifles and who even offered to buy it back, what I determined the problem to be is that the op rod was rubbing against the stock at the op rod channel.

There are many threads on the CMP forum about this problem, with several different solutions. Figuring out what the problem was made more difficult because it seemingly worked with different ammo to a greater or lesser extent. It seemed to choke regularly in Aguila ammo, of which I have many boxes though, so if I could get it to run on that ammo I would be home free. It seemed that it didn't run with what seemed to be less powerful ammo, so maybe it was undergassed and therefore the gas port needed to be enlarged? The gas cylinder and gas piston were well in spec, but the smaller. 308 case has less reserve energy than the 30.06 and are a bit more finicky in these rifles. Enlarging the port was a one way proposition though, and a last ditch solution. As it was though, the seller did open the port just a bit in an effort to fix it, but it still didn't run.

Although I had removed a bit of wood in the op rod channel because it wouldn't pass the 'tilt test', there appeared to be plenty of clearance there. Eventually I put erasable marker on the wood in the area and took it to the range. Bingo!! There was plenty of evidence that the op rod was rubbing pretty significantly in a couple of places. The next trip to the range showed immediate results. Although it didn't run the Aguila ammo 100%, it was significantly better, with plenty of evidence of increased op rod velocity. I wasl on the right track.

After the range session there was still a couple of spots where it was rubbing. I am in the middle of removing some more wood and restainiing/refinishing the area. Obviously there was way more interference than I suspected, and was obvious. Main lesson here? The op rod flexes and 'bends' in ways that aren't obvious when either cycling by hand or doing a 'tilt test' when actually doing its job. I will end up with a very accurate, soft-shooting rifle, and with the satisfaction of fixing a perplexing problem.

JimLob65
02-29-2024, 08:58 AM
Well, it's been 3 years since starting this thread, and several guns have come and gone. No, I didn't sell either of the Specials this thread is about.

Late last month on the same classified section on the same forum the same seller listed several Garands for sale, including another CMP Special, a WWII Springfield Armory manufactured in January 1943, this one in .308 as well. Seller bought it, installed a national match rear sight, cleaned up the trigger and reamed out the rear of the gas cylinder ring in preparation of making it his match rifle, and never shot it! Has a very nice stock that is screaming for several applications of boiled linseed oil, which I will do once I shoot it for the first time.

Screwball
02-29-2024, 11:18 AM
I just ordered a Service grade… probably get it within the next month or so. Hopefully will be happy with it.

Depending on the Service grade, I may pick up a Rack grade to do a Mini-G with… unless I find a suitable rifle for cheap. Something about a 16” .30-06 just seems cool to me.

I saw the Specials, but I also have a Century build with like new Danish VAR barrel (got it cheap enough that if the receiver was trash, still made out ok with the barrel/parts). Sent to Shuff’s, who confirmed it is good to go and did a refinish/new wood. That’s my “Special” in my eyes… just wanted one to be “correct.”

I think as the surplus starts drying up, you’ll see a variation of the Special… where CMP has someone do new receivers and they build it up. Just look at the Tisas partnership. Unfortunately, the Garand was the last rifle that really could be surplused… since M14s and forward are “machine guns.” Only other thing I could see… M16 and M4 uppers with CMP built lowers.

JimLob65
02-29-2024, 11:59 AM
It appears from the info readily available that the overall quality of M1s being returned to the CMP is on the decline, especially considering the lowering of condition of receivers used on 'Specials' particularly in reference to pitting. The rifles I featured in this thread were assembled about a decade ago, two of which date to 2014 for sure There is absolutely no pitting on the receivers. Those standards have since changed as cosmetically clean receivers are getting much harder to find.

We'll see what the future bds for the CMP M1 program.

JimLob65
02-29-2024, 12:00 PM
I just ordered a Service grade… probably get it within the next month or so. Hopefully will be happy with it.

Depending on the Service grade, I may pick up a Rack grade to do a Mini-G with… unless I find a suitable rifle for cheap. Something about a 16” .30-06 just seems cool to me.

I saw the Specials, but I also have a Century build with like new Danish VAR barrel (got it cheap enough that if the receiver was trash, still made out ok with the barrel/parts). Sent to Shuff’s, who confirmed it is good to go and did a refinish/new wood. That’s my “Special” in my eyes… just wanted one to be “correct.”

I think as the surplus starts drying up, you’ll see a variation of the Special… where CMP has someone do new receivers and they build it up. Just look at the Tisas partnership. Unfortunately, the Garand was the last rifle that really could be surplused… since M14s and forward are “machine guns.” Only other thing I could see… M16 and M4 uppers with CMP built lowers.

Good luck with your order! Please post pictures and your impressions when you get it.

JimLob65
03-17-2024, 04:44 AM
I was looking forward to getting some oil on the very dry stock of the new M1 Garand but wanted to take it to the range first to check the function as I had several issues with the previous .308 Special three years prior, which required removing some wood below the op rod channel. Happily this one ran 100% even when shooting the problematic cheap but available Aguila ammo which choked up the prior rifle. Time to tear it apart!

On the two prior specials I had applied one layer of boiled linseed oil, one a day for six days after a light sanding with fine to extra fine scotchbrite pads. The first 3 layers were applied using small pieces of 4x fine scotchbrite pad using a bit of pressure, the final coats with a lint free piece of cloth, wiping off the excess after 15 minutes or so. I lightly sanded with the same very fine pad before applying the new layer. Several days later I applied Renaissance wax. The end product was a very smooth matte finish.

A co-worker who does lots of wood working suggested I use clear Danish oil this time, which I had never used before. I had already done 2 layers of BLO at that point which soaked in immediately, so I finished the third before doing three more using the Danish oil, 2 coats being applied with the scotchbrite pad, the last with a cloth pad. Danish oil really begins to get tacky much faster than BLO! The resulting finish has a bit more sheen than I would have preferred but the wood grain really pops.

You can tell the difference in the finish of the new rifle vs the previous M1:

TiroFijo
03-19-2024, 08:58 AM
Nice rifles!
Even though the danish oil makes the grain in the wood pop out and looks great, for a military rifle like this I prefer the subdued matte finish of the linseed oil.

Lex Luthier
03-19-2024, 09:15 AM
Here are a couple of suggestions for reducing the gloss of Danish oil finishes:

https://www.finewoodworking.com/forum/how-to-reduce-gloss-of-danish-oil-finish

Borderland
03-19-2024, 09:21 AM
I finished a new M-1 carbine stock with tung oil. It doesn't look anything like the time worn oil soaked dark stocks you normally see on old carbines and Garand's. To get that effect I think one has to use a stain before the oil. Mine came out a lighter color, which I'm sure most of them were when issued.

JimLob65
03-19-2024, 02:01 PM
Nice rifles!
Even though the danish oil makes the grain in the wood pop out and looks great, for a military rifle like this I prefer the subdued matte finish of the linseed oil.

I do as well. Don’t think I will use danish oil again.

Trooper224
03-19-2024, 02:37 PM
Prior to WWII, wormwood stain was used in military rifle production. This is where the reddish color comes from on old mil rifle stocks. This was eliminated during WWII wartime production. To replicate this a stain must be used. I've used a stain by Laurel Mountain Forge, sold online by Track of the Wolf. It's an alcohol based stain that will penitrate existing oils like BLO. The color is Lancaster Maple and it's a dead ringer for that old color. The stock on the '03 in my avatar recieved this treatment.

BobM
03-19-2024, 02:40 PM
FYI for anyone interested, I was in the Centerville OH Cabelas earlier today. They had a bunch of Garands and 1903 Springfields that weren’t there a couple weeks ago.

Trooper224
03-19-2024, 02:43 PM
Double

JimLob65
03-19-2024, 05:38 PM
Very nice collection of some beautiful rifles!!

Both of my A3 Springfield rifles have stocks that are more red than brown. None of my 5 M1s have stocks that are the traditional reddish. Three of them have new CMP stocks, all from Boyds IIRC. One of the others also has a replacement non military stock.

I am not really looking for a traditional military stock look in my efforts to finish the wood. I do love a beautiful piece of walnut though, having bought a CZ rimfire (or three:o) in the past because of a nice stocks. Pushed me over the edge when deciding to buy my M1a as well.

NuJudge
03-24-2024, 07:00 AM
Originally, some of the Expert grade had original new barrels. The first one I bought was an H&R receiver & barrel, all other metal was new Springfield, and bright orange Birch wood. It shoots comfortably better than two fresh-from 1960s rebuild Springfields. The commercially barreled Experts also shoot really well.

What seems to make the difference is tight wood with a LOT of pressure on the trigger guard.

JimLob65
03-24-2024, 07:52 AM
Originally, some of the Expert grade had original new barrels. The first one I bought was an H&R receiver & barrel, all other metal was new Springfield, and bright orange Birch wood. It shoots comfortably better than two fresh-from 1960s rebuild Springfields. The commercially barreled Experts also shoot really well.

What seems to make the difference is tight wood with a LOT of pressure on the trigger guard.

Very similar to the 'Specials', which all come with new commercial barrels and stocks, Boyds in the case of my three. Closest thing you can readily find to being able to buy a 'new' M1 Garand.

DDTSGM
03-24-2024, 04:38 PM
I took this class and built my own Special: https://thecmp.org/training-tech/advanced-maintenance-class/

I didn't see it mentioned anyplace - I could have missed it - the new barrels are Criterion.

DDTSGM
03-24-2024, 06:02 PM
Prior to WWII, wormwood stain was used in military rifle production. This is where the reddish color comes from on old mil rifle stocks. This was eliminated during WWII wartime production. To replicate this a stain must be used. I've used a stain by Laurel Mountain Forge, sold online by Track of the Wolf. It's an alcohol based stain that will penitrate existing oils like BLO. The color is Lancaster Maple and it's a dead ringer for that old color. The stock on the '03 in my avatar recieved this treatment.

Did you use the LMF sealer and finish as well?

In looking at their instructions I understand it is stain, sealer, finish, and then final finish with sealer.

Is this the procedure you followed?

I need to do a used Enfield Jungle Rifle stock as well as a newer Garand Stock so any advice is appreciated.

Trooper224
03-24-2024, 06:33 PM
Did you use the LMF sealer and finish as well?

In looking at their instructions I understand it is stain, sealer, finish, and then final finish with sealer.

Is this the procedure you followed?

I need to do a used Enfield Jungle Rifle stock as well as a newer Garand Stock so any advice is appreciated.

No. I applied the stain, waited twenty four hours and started applying coats of Linseed Oil. I was going for an authentic military finish and there's a point where it looks too good.

DDTSGM
03-25-2024, 06:44 PM
Thanks!