PDA

View Full Version : $3,000 for a 1911...got a Springfield Pro!

richiecotite
01-23-2021, 11:41 PM
Good evening gang,

I’ve recently decided YOLO and to sell off most of my guns to fund a great 1911. There’s only so many 9mm plastic guns and 5.56 AR’s one dude needs.

Last 1911 was a Rock River Arms Basic Carry I had a few years ago. It was the nicest 1911 I’d had at that point, and I felt I could tell the difference between the Colt Wiley clapp I got sold to fund the RRA (better fit beaver tail, fitting of safety, etc). I ultimately got rid of it because I realized I wanted something nicer, it couldn’t really afford or justify it.

So I’m looking for my 1911 now. And also trying to figure out exactly what I want, and what I can get for $3k. Right now I’m leaning towards an Alchemy Custom Prime, or maybe add a few bucks for the prime elite. I’m leaning towards a 45 acp since I already have magazines and components for reloading. I’m also thinking going with 9mm since I already reload for it, easier to shoot, and the LGS currently has a 9mm Springfield Pro for $2600. I’ve always thought/read for reliability a 5” 45 acp from a reputable manufacturer is the easy button.

Are there any companies I’m overlooking? A few years since I’ve really followed the happenings in the 1911 world, so I’m probably a little out of date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bergeron
01-23-2021, 11:46 PM
I mean, if you've already got Alchemy on your short list, go for it!

Nighthawk, Wilson, Guncrafter, maaayybbbeee Baer or STI, but I'd only step away from Alchemy in order to get Nighthawk's iOS system.

There's always getting a old Colt and throwing cash at it. That's my route, but in your shoes, I'd take that Alchemy, get it as a 9mm Commander, and never look back.

Totem Polar
01-23-2021, 11:47 PM
Aside from used, maybe a Nighthawk GRP?

https://www.nighthawkcustom.com/pistols/grp

JCN
01-23-2021, 11:49 PM
What about something 1911-ish like a Wilson Combat EDC X9?

NPV
01-24-2021, 12:07 AM
Get yourself a Colt, and spend the remaining $2300-2200 with a customer Smith of your choice. You will end up with something far better than you can buy off the shelf and built exactly to your specs.

Robinson
01-24-2021, 12:43 AM
Starting with a Colt Classic model and spending another $2K for customization is definitely a viable option.

Otherwise, I'd go Alchemy Custom Weaponry or maybe a Springfield Armory Professional or Custom Carry. The Colt Custom Shop is another alternative -- they are turning out very nice hand built guns in the $2200-$2400 price range.

spyderco monkey
01-24-2021, 02:19 AM
Good evening gang,

I’ve recently decided YOLO and to sell off most of my guns to fund a great 1911. There’s only so many 9mm plastic guns and 5.56 AR’s one dude needs.

Last 1911 was a Rock River Arms Basic Carry I had a few years ago. It was the nicest 1911 I’d had at that point, and I felt I could tell the difference between the Colt Wiley clapp I got sold to fund the RRA (better fit beaver tail, fitting of safety, etc). I ultimately got rid of it because I realized I wanted something nicer, it couldn’t really afford or justify it.

So I’m looking for my 1911 now. And also trying to figure out exactly what I want, and what I can get for $3k. Right now I’m leaning towards an Alchemy Custom Prime, or maybe add a few bucks for the prime elite. I’m leaning towards a 45 acp since I already have magazines and components for reloading. I’m also thinking going with 9mm since I already reload for it, easier to shoot, and the LGS currently has a 9mm Springfield Pro for $2600. I’ve always thought/read for reliability a 5” 45 acp from a reputable manufacturer is the easy button.

Are there any companies I’m overlooking? A few years since I’ve really followed the happenings in the 1911 world, so I’m probably a little out of date.

Not a 1911, but 1911ish - the Dan Wesson DWX is due to be released fairly soon. 1911 trigger, CZ ergonomics, 19rd magazines, and ~$1700; with your $3000 budget you could get the DWX + any of the $1700 Dan Wesson 1911's.

https://i.ibb.co/njN24Gs/maxresdefault-3.jpg

+

https://cdn0.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/2.jpg

= ~$3000

Or you could get the Dan Wesson .45 ACP + a customized CZ Shadow 2 (2.75lb SA trigger plus lots of other upgrades) also within $3000.

https://cajungunworks.com/product/cz-shadow-2-black-blue/

Just some alternative options.

FNFAN
01-24-2021, 03:48 AM
It's hard to go wrong with the Alchemy Custom guns. The choice I made when looking at a higher end 1911 was the Springfield Pro and I'm quite satisfied by it for a .45. I got to run around Shot Show talking to various makers years ago and the one that really 'spoke' to me was the Pro. I waited until I found a pristine used one and bought it. About 4.5k rounds fired and I've never had any issue or misfeed. I'm still very happy with my choice. I have a little LW Champion custom that gets way more holster time than the full size steel Pro.

Went to a gathering of folks from the 1911Addicts.com site at Whittington Center a while back and got to play with a wide variety of semi and full-custom guns. Rogers Precision and a Joe Chambers gun were the standouts out of the full customs. Got to shoot a Wilson EDC X9 there and within the first 3 shots, knew I had to have one. I've since purchased the mid-size and the small model and am extremely impressed with what the small gun can do. Almost to the point of selling the mid-size for another X9s.

Good luck finding your gun and let us know what you choose!

richiecotite
01-24-2021, 05:19 AM
What about something 1911-ish like a Wilson Combat EDC X9?

Nah, I want ol’ slab sides in my holster

JAD
01-24-2021, 06:32 AM
Personally I’d very much go the route of having a Series 70 customized (pretty lightly — beaver tail, thumb safety, sights, refinish; you may have to go light on the front strap treatment). It will take time, so don’t sell off all your other guns.

You are also budgeted for a hell of a used gun, like a major name. This also takes time.

Personally I have been impressed enough with my Dan Wessons to suggest getting two of those — a GM and an LWC.

Don’t fuck with 9x19. It isn’t worth it. If you don’t already have a press, spend some of your budget on a decent one. Large primers may become available first.

richiecotite
01-24-2021, 07:15 AM
Personally I’d very much go the route of having a Series 70 customized (pretty lightly — beaver tail, thumb safety, sights, refinish; you may have to go light on the front strap treatment). It will take time, so don’t sell off all your other guns.

You are also budgeted for a hell of a used gun, like a major name. This also takes time.

Personally I have been impressed enough with my Dan Wessons to suggest getting two of those — a GM and an LWC.

Don’t fuck with 9x19. It isn’t worth it. If you don’t already have a press, spend some of your budget on a decent one. Large primers may become available first.

Thanks for this. Honestly, I’d almost prefer a used gun since it seems like most higher end guns for sale are Sunday drivers with very few rounds through them.

When you say don’t f with 9mm, is that regarding reliability or ammunition availability? If it’s ammo related, I’m ok there. My 550 is setup and I have, at my schedule, 2 years worth of 9mm components. I have way less 45 reloading components compared to 9mm.

In general, I’ve seen a few people recommend getting a series 70 and sending it out. Any recommendations on smiths/shops that are accepting work, or that I should look into?

spyderco monkey
01-24-2021, 07:37 AM
I think the Alchemy would be better then modifying a 70 Colt; it seems like the Alchemy is built from the ground up out of the best components:

ACW frames and slides are designed by Schauland and incorporate both traditional styling cues with ergonomic features such as a high cut front strap designed for both comfort and control. The frames are made from domestic forgings and machined in house to his proprietary print specifications. The slides are constructed from bar stock steel to the same specifications. The grip safety, ejector and extractor are machined from USA sourced 4140-grade bar stock steel. Barrels are made in the USA from 416R certified hammer-forged stainless steel. Bushings are turned from 416 SS bar stock stainless steel. Ignition components are constructed in-house from 420-grade stainless steel billet. The hammer, sear, and strut are made precisely using EDM Wire technology machining. Disconnectors are constructed from tool steel. The external safeties are made by Cylinder and Slide.

The front strap is hand checkered at 25 LPI (lines per inch) and is smoothed to lines at the edge of the front strap for comfortable carry. The rear of the slide and frame are blended by hand and the barrels fitted the same way. The plunger tube is countersunk and properly staked. Of course, the barrels and bushings are hand-fitted as well.

https://www.recoilweb.com/alchemy-custom-weaponrys-prime-1911-pistol-153949.html

Serious 1911 guys seem to be into them:

https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/what-about-alchemy-custom-weaponry.66749/

Its definitely one of the more elegant looking 1911's I've seen:

https://i.ibb.co/C5vmnPV/Screen-Shot-2021-01-24-at-4-34-32-AM.png

farscott
01-24-2021, 08:48 AM
Nah, I want ol’ slab sides in my holster

You probably know this, but the EDC X9 fits 1911 holsters, so it qualifies as a "slab side".

That being said, I would suggest shopping the used market. $3000 will get you a 1911 that sold new for well over $4500. There are several used Wilson pistols available under that threshold, and the Wilson warranty is for the pistol. Hard to go wrong with a used Wilson. Examples priced just over the threshold but probably have some room to drop.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Equipment-Exchange/WTS-Wilson-Combat-CQB-E-Price-drop-/88-2090236/

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Equipment-Exchange/Wilson-Combat-Vickers-Elite-45-ACP/88-2094206/

Here is a Baer Comanche that John Harrison fixed, so it will run. It also comes in under the threshold. I would not buy a Baer Comanche unless John had fixed it as I already have done that and paid to have him fix it.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Equipment-Exchange/Les-Baer-Tactical-Defense-Pistol-TDP-Dec-97-limited-production-commanche-w-John-Harrison-work-/88-1916006/

bofe954
01-24-2021, 09:33 AM
What are you looking for? Range gun, carry gun?

If you want a 45 I have seen Springfield Pro's sell for less than $2500 on gunbroker if you are patient.

More traditional looking option that I think is a good deal:

https://www.nighthawkcustom.com/colt-series70

JAD
01-24-2021, 09:53 AM
Honestly, I’d almost prefer a used gun since it seems like most higher end guns for sale are Sunday drivers with very few rounds through them.
— Yup. I personally would only buy FTF or from a very trusted source and provenance.

When you say don’t f with 9mm, is that regarding reliability or ammunition availability?
Reliability (I have two reliable 9mm 1911s out of two I’ve bought; it’s not impossible, you’re just making it harder on yourself for no reason), ‘feel’ (while sub-caliber is kind of
fun like a Ciener kit, it is not the real deal and never will be), and terminal effect. While I carry 9s a lot with confidence, in the exact same package plus one measly round it makes no sense to me to give up an obvious difference in diameter and momentum when I shoot each caliber equally well.

In general, I’ve seen a few people recommend getting a series 70 and sending it out. Any recommendations on smiths/shops that are accepting work, or that I should look into?
I’ll let others who have interacted with the market more recently comment. I have a gun at my favorite smith that is about to have it’s fourth birthday party. Lot of candles on that cake.

JAD
01-24-2021, 09:57 AM
I think the Alchemy would be better then modifying a 70 Colt; it seems like the Alchemy is built from the ground up out of the best components:

So, no, Alchemy does not have anything to offer comparable to a Burton, Yost, or Garthwaite Colt.

TC215
01-24-2021, 10:02 AM
I’ve owned guns from pretty much all the big names in the semi-custom world, and if I had $3,000 to burn on another 1911 right now, Alchemy would get my money.

JSGlock34
01-24-2021, 10:10 AM
During the last 10 minutes of his Ballistic Radio interview, Jason Burton of Heirloom Precision gives his thoughts on 1911s at various price points. Well worth the listen.

Ballistic Radio: TWO World Wars! (http://ballisticradio.com/2019/06/04/two-world-wars-podcast-season-7-ballistic-radio-episode-296-may-19th-2019/)

My 1911 is a Wilson Combat Protector Elite (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?22583-First-1-000-rounds-with-the-Wilson-Combat-Protector-Elite-1911-45), and I highly recommend it. I echo recommendations to stick with a .45 for your only 1911.

WobblyPossum
01-24-2021, 10:37 AM
Alchemy seems to be turning out some stellar guns but your choices for how you want your gun set up are limited to a couple drop-down menu options. If one of the Alchemy configurations happens to be exactly what you’re looking for, then place an order and don’t look back. However, if they can only get close to exactly what you’re looking for, maybe buying a Colt and sending it off to a smith is the best course of action. I’ve never owned a handgun in the $3k price range so I can’t speak from experience but I’m pretty sure I’d always have nagging feelings of doubt if my $3k handgun didn’t come out exactly like I had imagined it.

YVK
01-24-2021, 01:22 PM
Does anyone know of a good 1911 pistolsmith who can turn around a $2000 work order in under 2-3 years these days?

Maca
01-24-2021, 01:36 PM
Does anyone know of a good 1911 pistolsmith who can turn around a $2000 work order in under 2-3 years these days?

Karl Sokol will be close to that number.

My full ground up build was 1200 in labor, plus 2k for parts (all top tier), including Caspian stainless slide and receiver.

If you have a base gun, I expect 2k to get you a great final result with all necessary parts replaced with top tier components.

SW CQB 45
01-24-2021, 02:01 PM
I haven't shot my piece yet :mad:

was "out" for the entire month of Dec and my workload stacked up tremendously
our range since the early 70s... hours of operation have changed to M-F only because of noise complaints
I am joining a private range that is living in the 80s (use of fax machines, personal checks and then wait.. WTH)

I am no 1911 expert, just been around them since the 80s. I have handled pretty much everything, shot a lot of them, have had or still have some nice ones

and I am very pleased with my ACW Custom Carry .45 from a handling standpoint.

I got semi hard barrel fit. There is a definite semi hard snick to break it out of battery that Rob told me should smooth up to around 500 rnds. I kind of like it though.

Once past the snick, its a very smooth slide retraction.

Trigger pull I recommended at 5 lbs so I can eventually carry on duty. Its a trigger press/break I have never felt before. I can only describe it as different from what I am used to but a VERY NICE press. Rob told me its exactly at 5 lbs. I am looking forward to learning this trigger press.

I have not taken it apart as I will "inject" oil into and then go shoot. I have a stash of 230 ball that is set aside for it.

I can only imagine the 1st shooting experience will be like my 1st handling experience.

I am not into fancy this and that. Dont need flush muzzle or HRT cut that. Clean, nice shooting with 100% reliability is what I like. I have 5 of the ACW mags (ACT???? maybe), WC Elites and plenty of CMC PM+.

I am "shooting" for the end of the week or if I have my faxed approval to shoot next weekend.

https://i.imgur.com/JX8WzBih.jpg

NPV
01-24-2021, 03:11 PM

There are a few that come to mind. Jim Milks (the former EGW master smith), Nighthawk Custom, Dave Sams, Cylinder & Slide. Don Williams is at 1.5 years based on a conversation I had with him in December.

Another option at $3k is to buy a Novak built Colt.

vcdgrips
01-24-2021, 05:00 PM
Wilson CQB
Alchemy Arms
Springfield Professional

All can be had new under 3k in hand with a sharp pencil.

Wherever/ whoever could get me one the fastest would likely drive my train.

If time was not if the essence-using a colt 70 as a base gun plus 2k for 3k all in to a smith who knew what they were doing would be intriguing.

Having said that, you’ll could likely get a brace of Dan Wessons and be as happy as you already have a semi custom gun.

Ichiban
01-24-2021, 06:01 PM
Not a 1911, but 1911ish - the Dan Wesson DWX is due to be released fairly soon. 1911 trigger, CZ ergonomics, 19rd magazines, and ~$1700; with your $3000 budget you could get the DWX + any of the $1700 Dan Wesson 1911's.

Anyone know what the latest word on the DWX is? Looking forward to getting the compact but I must admit that I am getting ready to go a different direction.

TC215
01-24-2021, 06:11 PM
Anyone know what the latest word on the DWX is? Looking forward to getting the compact but I must admit that I am getting ready to go a different direction.

I noticed the other day that it’s listed on Lipsey’s site now. I’m guessing that’s a good sign.

LittleLebowski
01-24-2021, 06:18 PM
I’d go Springfield Pro. Sending a shit talking text :cool:

Guerrero
01-24-2021, 06:53 PM
A THUG?

Robinson
01-25-2021, 09:43 AM

There have been some other good suggestions, but I would also include Evolution Armory in the list.

JAD
01-25-2021, 09:59 AM

As stated upthread, I sure don't. I regard that as part of the deal, though. I have other guns.

JAD
01-25-2021, 10:01 AM
A THUG?

That's kind of the way I went. Time must not be of the essence, though.

rob_s
01-25-2021, 10:11 AM
I wasn't familiar with Alchemy until this thread. If I was buying, I'd likely buy from them.

I still harbor dreams about an aluminum frame CCO in .45, railed fullsize in .45, and non-railed 9mm fullsize (all otherwise identical) as my "perfect" trifecta of 1911s. One for carry, one for home, one for games.

I'll be 50 in 4 years. Maybe that'll be my "I'm old now" acknowledgement birthday present to myself. Maybe by then Alchemy will be offering an aluminum frame in the CCO and a railed frame in the fullsize...

Robinson
01-25-2021, 11:21 AM
I wasn't familiar with Alchemy until this thread. If I was buying, I'd likely buy from them.

I still harbor dreams about an aluminum frame CCO in .45, railed fullsize in .45, and non-railed 9mm fullsize (all otherwise identical) as my "perfect" trifecta of 1911s. One for carry, one for home, one for games.

I'll be 50 in 4 years. Maybe that'll be my "I'm old now" acknowledgement birthday present to myself. Maybe by then Alchemy will be offering an aluminum frame in the CCO and a railed frame in the fullsize...

I got away from carrying a Lightweight Commander 45 because practicing with a steel gun didn't translate into an ability to shoot the Lwt Cmdr to a satisfactory level. Now I carry a Lightweight Government and it shoots almost like a steel 5" gun.

rob_s
01-25-2021, 11:29 AM
I got away from carrying a Lightweight Commander 45 because practicing with a steel gun didn't translate into an ability to shoot the Lwt Cmdr to a satisfactory level. Now I carry a Lightweight Government and it shoots almost like a steel 5" gun.

Many moons ago (at least in my moons) I had both and never saw an issue to a point that I had any concerns.

I just don't buy into that concept anymore (if I ever did) and to the extent that there are differences I don't think they really matter.

KevH
01-25-2021, 11:44 AM
Having owned 30+ 1911's myself ranging all over the map (including high-end customized guns built by guys like John Harrison, Jim Garthwaite, John Jardine, factory customs like the Springfield Professional, and basic factory guns like the Springfield Long Beach Operator) and working for a police department that has a high number of 1911's in various makes in-service and being one of the armorers that care for them, I feel I'm qualified to make a recommendation here.

In 2021 the only 1911 I will recommend unequivocally to anyone is...

Wilson Combat

You can spend lots of time, money, and heartache trying to make a reliable daily carry 1911. You can spend a lot of effort vetting individual smiths and sitting on waitlists for years. You can order "factory customs" from small operations that go out of business or get absorbed by larger places, or that do not provide adequate customer support post-purchase, or...

You can skip all the drama and buy a gun that you know will work with a factory standing behind it that will fix it if it does not.

My personal recommendation would be to find a slightly used CQB in the $2k price range in 45 ACP. If it doesn't work 100% send it back to Wilson to get freshened up. Learn with that gun what works for you and what does not and let Wilson (and only Wilson) make any changes to it that need to be made. Keep all the paperwork for the gun. Either you will fall in love with the 1911 or if you don't you can always sell it and recoup your cost.

I've watched lots of guys (and I'm one of them) go through several different guns (and smiths) trying to find the magical combo that works. I've also watched a bunch of guys buy a Wilson and carry the same gun, with slight tweaks done by the factory, for twenty years now. I'm done trying to recommend different 1911 routes to people. Just go find and buy a Wilson Combat.

richiecotite
01-25-2021, 12:02 PM
Planned use for this is “a 1 gun solution”. Range, carry, home defense, maybe gaming. I’ll still have plastic poppers and shoot those too, but this 1911 will be the gun I shoot the most.

That Novak Colt seems like a pretty solid deal, but I’m still heavily leaning towards the ACW. I especially like the fact that for an extra $125 you can get an extra fitted extractor. I called them today and they said it’d be a 8 month wait. I was aware of evolution armory, remember a few years ago they were doing good work with decent turnaround times.

I’ll contact Nighthawk just see how long the wait is, but right now I’m leaning towards buying used.

theJanitor
01-25-2021, 12:28 PM
$3k is a helluva number, especially if used pistols are an option. Years and miles generally don't matter much to a properly built pistol.

Last week, an alchemy prime went for $2900, and a THUG went for $3300. LOTS of options at this price point, but your dollar will go farther in the used market. Nighthawk is doing really good work, and you can send in your own base gun. I've never seen an alchemy in person, but by all accounts, it seems right. I think most of the accessible builders have implemented plans to keep lead times much shorter. Heck, even Heinie is working on his list, albeit with an apprentice (which irks me, but that's a different discussion). A buddy has a pistol on Dick's bench for over 12 years

I've got one last Colt at the smith, and his fee exceeds the $3k budget, without the cost of the base pistol. I'm hoping for receipt of it this year.....Maybe I can leapfrog JAD and move up a spot

JAD
01-25-2021, 12:45 PM
...Maybe I can leapfrog @JAD (https://pistol-forum.com/member.php?u=1359) and move up a spot

Signs point to yes...

TC215
01-25-2021, 01:05 PM
Having owned 30+ 1911's myself ranging all over the map (including high-end customized guns built by guys like John Harrison, Jim Garthwaite, John Jardine, factory customs like the Springfield Professional, and basic factory guns like the Springfield Long Beach Operator) and working for a police department that has a high number of 1911's in various makes in-service and being one of the armorers that care for them, I feel I'm qualified to make a recommendation here.

Wilson Combat

You can spend lots of time, money, and heartache trying to make a reliable daily carry 1911. You can spend a lot of effort vetting individual smiths and sitting on waitlists for years. You can order "factory customs" from small operations that go out of business or get absorbed by larger places, or that do not provide adequate customer support post-purchase, or...

You can skip all the drama and buy a gun that you know will work with a factory standing behind it that will fix it if it does not.

My personal recommendation would be to find a slightly used CQB in the $2k price range in 45 ACP. If it doesn't work 100% send it back to Wilson to get freshened up. Learn with that gun what works for you and what does not and let Wilson (and only Wilson) make any changes to it that need to be made. Keep all the paperwork for the gun. Either you will fall in love with the 1911 or if you don't you can always sell it and recoup your cost.

I've watched lots of guys (and I'm one of them) go through several different guns (and smiths) trying to find the magical combo that works. I've also watched a bunch of guys buy a Wilson and carry the same gun, with slight tweaks done by the factory, for twenty years now. I'm done trying to recommend different 1911 routes to people. Just go find and buy a Wilson Combat.

There was a time I would have recommended WC without hesitation, but I've had too many issues over the last five years with their guns (3 out of 5 WC's had problems). And I know I'm not alone. Pit Sensei

Hambo
01-25-2021, 01:08 PM
Take a long look at the 1911 thread in the gallery. Pay attention to theJanitor's pistols and other customs vs. semi-custom front strap checkering is my pet peeve). If I were looking in your price range it would be used WC for $2K'ish, or the whole ball of wax for a used custom.

Robinson
01-25-2021, 01:20 PM
Many moons ago (at least in my moons) I had both and never saw an issue to a point that I had any concerns.

I just don't buy into that concept anymore (if I ever did) and to the extent that there are differences I don't think they really matter.

It matters to me, especially beyond 7-10 yards.

I chose the Lwt Gvt for carry because it just carries nicer than a steel gun. But putting a lot of rounds through an aluminum-framed 45 is likely to lead to a cracked frame at some point, so I practice with an all steel gun. I find that the 5" Lightweight Government handles and shoots a lot like a steel 5" gun -- more so than a Lightweight Commander shoots like a steel Commander. Plus 5" guns are easier on my damaged ears at the range than Commanders. That's all -- it's not a revelation or a high concept, just my preference.

rob_s
01-25-2021, 01:24 PM

I chose the Lwt Gvt for carry because it just carries nicer than a steel gun. But putting a lot of rounds through an aluminum-framed 45 is likely to lead to a cracked frame at some point, so I practice with an all steel gun. I find that the 5" Lightweight Government handles and shoots a lot like a steel 5" gun -- more so than a Lightweight Commander shoots like a steel Commander. Plus 5" guns are easier on my damaged ears at the range than Commanders. That's all -- it's not a revelation or a high concept, just my preference.

I wouldn't even bother, or worry about, the differences between an aluminum-framed CCO and a steel-framed fullsize. It's just not that big a deal. Never saw a difference enough between competing and training with the fullsize and then infrequently shooting the aluminum CCO.

Sorry to hear it was a problem for you.

RevolverRob
01-25-2021, 01:32 PM
In my opinion the top choices in this price range of Alchemy and Nighthawk, with Wilson a fairly distant third.

There is no compelling reason to build a Colt or Springfield from scratch anymore, unless that is what you want. There is nothing inherently better about those guns and importantly, when you order a custom gun your smith is rebuilding the whole thing anyways. Review Jason Burton's Instagram to see the amount of work it takes to turn a Colt into an Heirloom gun; it is non-trivial and amazing - it's also not a $3000 job. I liken what Jason does to building a high-end restomod car (think Emory Motorsports Porsche 356 or Singer 911), at the end it's really only a 'Colt' in name only, it's actually an Heirloom Precision gun.

What Alchemy/Nighthawk are doing is building something more like a Swiss watch. Starting with a relatively blank sheet and then building on that sheet with very specific set of parts either sourced or made-in-house to build to a very specific goal. Then they offer some options the end user might want (like a different strap or different case color, etc).

At the end of the day both products are phenomenal and they both work. Neither is really better than the other, they are different, because they start at different starting points and end in different places as well.

JHC
01-25-2021, 01:53 PM
Get yourself a Colt, and spend the remaining $2300-2200 with a customer Smith of your choice. You will end up with something far better than you can buy off the shelf and built exactly to your specs.

Hard not to like that approach. It's remarkable how hard it is to find the semi-custom EXACTLY how one wants one.

JSGlock34
01-25-2021, 02:20 PM
Personally I wouldn't go the full custom route until I knew my preferences fairly well. It took me some experience with a few guns to determine that I prefer 30 LPI on the front strap over 20, that I want my guns to have magwells, that I don't like ambi-safeties on a 1911, and that the Novak sights on the Professional are too narrow for my purposes.

theJanitor
01-25-2021, 03:27 PM
Take a long look at the 1911 thread in the gallery. Pay attention to theJanitor's pistols and other customs vs. semi-custom front strap checkering is my pet peeve). If I were looking in your price range it would be used WC for $2K'ish, or the whole ball of wax for a used custom.

Hey, don't look at me. I've just lucked into some nice stuff over the years. I know what I like in a pistol, but I've gone through many customs just to experience what others think is their best combo. It's just a learning/experience thing.

The OP likely had an awesome piece in the RRA carry. He probably has a good idea what features he wants. I get the feeling he wants to know where his dollar goes the farthest.

richiecotite One thing I've done in the past is to try and buy a custom for cheap, at least $500 under value, then spend the $500 with the actual builder and have him give it a tune-up, maybe reblue, and maybe change out small things like the thumb safety. This accomplished two things. First you get it configured how you like, and it also gets a once over by a good smith, and you can be confident it'll function right

JohnK
01-25-2021, 04:00 PM
I know people poo-poo the Les Baers lately but I had really good luck with one and then sent it off to EA to modify to suit my needs and it has run like a top since. I think the Springfield Professional is regarded as a really solid piece for the price, irrespective of the cast parts in certain parts of the gun. Mine is rather low mileage with only 4,500 rounds on it and haven't had a single issue. The Wilson I have is around 6,500 rounds through it and it did have to go back to the mothership because of hammer follow around the 3,000 mark. But has been good up until the mid-sixes. Mine are all .45. I dabbled with 9mm and got out of that pretty quickly.

If I were in the market now, with what I have experienced and what I have read, Alchemy would be at the top of the list, with a Springfield Professional and Wilson CQBs to follow. I think it is really good advice to find a lightly used CQB in the market and seeing if it needs a freshening up.

LittleLebowski
01-25-2021, 06:03 PM
This has been a really good thread, thanks PF.

45dotACP
01-25-2021, 07:13 PM
I'm a pretty big fan of Alchemy Custom but you'd be very well served by a Wilson Combat in my estimation.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

richiecotite
01-25-2021, 07:51 PM
The OP likely had an awesome piece in the RRA carry. He probably has a good idea what features he wants. I get the feeling he wants to know where his dollar goes the farthest.
richiecotite One thing I've done in the past is to try and buy a custom for cheap, at least $500 under value, then spend the $500 with the actual builder and have him give it a tune-up, maybe reblue, and maybe change out small things like the thumb safety. This accomplished two things. First you get it configured how you like, and it also gets a once over by a good smith, and you can be confident it'll function right

Yep. The RRA was a great gun, and it was a good experience to know what I need; single side safety, padded beaver tail, GI recoil system, blacked out ledge rear, front strap checkering around 25 lpi. I want HRT cut slide stop, blended mag well, flush barrel.

Texas Patriot Arms posted an Alchemy Prime Elite on IG last night...I called around 3pm EST and spoke to Mark, he sold it that morning.

Just my luck.

LittleLebowski
01-25-2021, 07:53 PM
Yep. The RRA was a great gun, and it was a good experience to know what I need; single side safety, padded beaver tail, GI recoil system, blacked out ledge rear, front strap checkering around 25 lpi. I want HRT cut slide stop, blended mag well, flush barrel.

Texas Patriot Arms posted an Alchemy Prime Elite on IG last night...I called around 3pm EST and spoke to Mark, he sold it that morning.

Just my luck.

I bet that the PF hive mind can help find one.

NPV
01-25-2021, 08:34 PM

Just my luck.

I was going to post that one for you, it sold within 10-20 minutes on another forum.

Winegamd
01-25-2021, 09:48 PM
I have shot Wilson's, Nighthawks, and Les Baers. Out of those, the Nighthawks were in a different league. I don't remember the models, but I know I could shoot them better than the other two.

If were looking for a custom, though, I would give AJ Zitto from practical performance a call.

I would suggest Chambers Customs, but they are out of the price point.

SW CQB 45
01-25-2021, 10:01 PM
if there is any 1911 I regret selling.... it was an early 2000s Les Baer Monolith Heavyweight. Nothing fancy... (not the 1.5") but it was a tight shooter. I only sold it as it was hard to find holsters for it (think very early days of kydex) and I wanted something else.... so I sold it. I should have sent it to LB for a magwell and kept it. In fact I drove to Comp Tac in Houston and he made a holster for me (right in front of me). Plywood, foam and clamps!!!!

I am relying on memory, but I think I paid around $1200 back then new (dealer cost) from a buddy.

https://i.imgur.com/vS7BYFwh.jpg

JHC
01-26-2021, 07:43 AM

Much like the system I'm setting up for this year. Three Operators - LW Operator for carry, LB Operator and 9mm Operator for most of the shooting.

rob_s
01-26-2021, 07:48 AM
This thread had me go back and look at Les Baer again. I was pleasantly surprised to find that their “Concept (https://www.lesbaer.com/Concepts.html)” line isn’t much more expensive than when I owned one over a decade ago. Based on that past experience I’d be willing to try one again.

JHC
01-26-2021, 07:51 AM

Wilson Combat

Dang that's compelling. Quick question, WC guarantees their guns and also states on the web they will not work on a WC gun someone else has worked on. Any idea how much of the stickler they are on that? As in one buys a used CQB and turns out when WC gets into the gun, some prior owner had a local smith tune the trigger, fit a slide release or some such.

KevH
01-26-2021, 10:21 AM
Dang that's compelling. Quick question, WC guarantees their guns and also states on the web they will not work on a WC gun someone else has worked on. Any idea how much of the stickler they are on that? As in one buys a used CQB and turns out when WC gets into the gun, some prior owner had a local smith tune the trigger, fit a slide release or some such.

I know they've been forgiving of "field expedient fixes" done by PD armorers when something goes wrong (re-staking a plunger tube type of thing) and I know they'll work on their gun when someone has stuck another manufacturer's sights on it. I don't think they want to work on a gun that's been heavily altered for obvious reasons. I'm pretty sure if you called them and told them you purchased the gun second hand with a couple aftermarket parts in it and wanted to "return it to factory" they would likely be accommodating, but I would call them first to make sure.

Pit
01-26-2021, 11:48 AM
There was a time I would have recommended WC without hesitation, but I've had too many issues over the last five years with their guns (3 out of 5 WC's had problems). And I know I'm not alone. Pit Sensei

Complete agreement TC215. Wilson Combat had been my go to for decades of LEO carry. I never thought that would change. However, based on my own experience with my last couple of Wilson's, I only recommended used Wilson pistols with known reliability.

Still waiting for my ACW Classic Carry which is my direct replacement for my steel frame WC Hackathorn Special Commander. I've got a stash of ammo on hand waiting to put the CC thru it's paces.

JW

theJanitor
01-26-2021, 11:51 AM
I bought a used Wilson Combat built Colt Officers awhile back. It had Wilson's logo engraved on it, and I even had the build sheet. I asked them to rebarrel it, and they said, "No, we don't work on guns of that length". I was quite upset, as you can imagine, and even more so because the barrel I wanted them to install was still sold on the website. In the end, I had another smith do the work.

If you have any plans for purchasing/sending a WC pistol in, I'd surely ask before purchasing

Pit
01-26-2021, 11:54 AM

JHC

Based on my experience with Wilson CS, this would not be a concern. They have never hesitated to try to correct one of their pistols. I'm sure if it was something over the top there might be an issue but short of that, no issue. Talk with Steve Kelley. He's good people and will no give you a BS answer.

JW

Pit
01-26-2021, 11:57 AM
I bought a used Wilson Combat built Colt Officers awhile back. It had Wilson's logo engraved on it, and I even had the build sheet. I asked them to rebarrel it, and they said, "No, we don't work on guns of that length". I was quite upset, as you can imagine, and even more so because the barrel I wanted them to install was still sold on the website. In the end, I had another smith do the work.

If you have any plans for purchasing/sending a WC pistol in, I'd surely ask before purchasing

Wow. That surprises me.

JW

theJanitor
01-26-2021, 11:59 AM
Wow. That surprises me.

JW

It didn't surprise me when they declined to work on a Wlison built colt from the late 80's. I won't fault them for declining that one. Maybe if the request went through the shop manager, he would have brought it in as a teaching tool for the young smiths.

If I were to buy a used Wilson in 2021, I'd only buy an untouched, USED one. And I'd only buy it from someone trustworthy, who has done the work to vet it, and is forthcoming about it's performance history.

Sensei
01-26-2021, 01:30 PM

Yep. All of my Wilson 9mm 1911s and EDCX9s have gone back at least once. This includes a Colt CCU that was sent to Wilson for an overhaul only to come back less reliable, a CQB Elite in 9mm, and a EDC X9L. I think that a major pitfall in Wilson’s QC is the decision to only test fire their guns with ball ammunition. It is not uncommon for a 1911 to digest 200 rounds of ball ammo without issue, only to fail to get through 50 rounds of JHP. That was the issue with all of my problem Wilson guns.

To be fair, I have a 45 ACP CQB Elite that is flawless with JHP ammo.

JohnK
01-26-2021, 08:09 PM
My sample of one CQB has 6,500 rounds through it, varying from handloaded 200 gr. Lswc, 230 grain ball, 230gr. gold dots and standard pressure and +p HST. No problems.

TC215
01-27-2021, 08:45 PM
This will go quick:

https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/alchemy-custom-weaponry-prime-classic-carry-45acp-unfired.122583/

StraitR
01-27-2021, 10:11 PM
I've not read the entire thread, so I apologize if this has already been resolved. IMO/E, $3000 is essentially no-man's land for buying a new 1911. At $2k you have Dan Wesson (or Baer), and at $4k you have Wilson (or similar). $3000 will go much further on the used market (even now), but it's all about timing and finding the right pistol.

BWT
01-27-2021, 10:29 PM
I would buy *exactly* what you want for $3k.

There’s lots of deals and opportunities. The market’s nuts, but I’d not compromise. If you want a particular model, and you’re okay with used. Fine.

But I’d not get on the “this came available and will not be here tomorrow” for $3k.

That’s a ton of money in my home - I’m not sure about yours (doesn’t matter). But, that’d be my first bit of advice. Dave Ramsey has a saying no deal is too good not to sleep on, and while I don’t think you need to necessarily sleep on anything. I would say take a measured approach, and if it takes longer. So what?

Next, I’d say go 9mm. I didn’t I went .45 ACP on my gift to myself 1911 and it’s nice, and it’s more accurate than I am. But honestly, I shoot 9mm and I’m going to stockpile 9mm if I ever get the chance again and for $3k I think a 9mm 1911 could be figured out by a reputable smith.

SACS did it for Todd G. for $1800 a pop.

If you want a 9mm or think you’d shoot a 9mm more - I’d go 9mm.

I have a SA TRP, and I’m happy with it. It was my Bachelor’s degree graduation gift to myself. But I shoot Glocks, and I put about a 1,000 rounds through it. Not a lot by some standards, and perhaps a lot by others. But finding .45 ACP that’s cheap and then paying double for what cheap 9mm goes for get old.

Last year this time a box of 50 124 gr FMJ 9mm cost $8.99, and a box of 50 230 gr .45 ACP cost about $17.99-19.99. It might be awhile, but I feel like 2x the cost of 9mm versus .45 ACP has been that way as long as I can remember. It’s partially why I left 1911’s for EDC and went to Glock. Come to think of it - I used to peruse the 1911 sub forum on Ar15.com as a teenager hoping for a 1911 one day. I did it and then moved onto Glock.

That’s just how I see it. Those are the lessons I learned. At the time I bought that SA TRP, SACS was still taking orders for Warren 9mm 1911’s. I wasn’t excited about the color, but perhaps they could’ve gone black. I bought an BCM 11.5” upper instead of putting $500-600 more in a 1911.

Anyway - I’m excited for you!

SW CQB 45
01-27-2021, 11:23 PM
ACW soft case has many uses, including hiding food you dont want co-workers to see.

https://i.imgur.com/osbb1FPh.jpg

rob_s
01-28-2021, 05:51 AM
This will go quick:

https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/alchemy-custom-weaponry-prime-classic-carry-45acp-unfired.122583/

Jesus Christ 1911 dorks are some wordy bitches. :p

Already sold btw.

Beautiful gun. I’d never buy it, but beautiful gun.

JonInWA
01-28-2021, 07:49 AM
Crap like this is NOT slaking my desire for an Alchemy Arms....

Best, Jon

03RN
01-28-2021, 08:44 AM
Springfield Pro, no question for me.

03RN
01-28-2021, 09:01 AM

I picked up a lw champion this past summer. Its not quite as fast to shoot as a 5" steel gun but Its close, at least close enough for me.

41magfan
01-28-2021, 10:02 AM
Not too long ago I had a Wilson, Baer, Nighthawk and Brown on my shooting table at the same time. I shot them back to back with the same ammo at the same target doing the same drills. All of them were 100% reliable and all of them capable of shooting gold ball sized hand-held groups at 20 yards with factory hardball. They were all 5" guns chambered in .45 Auto guns and while they were of similar build, all have a subjectively discernible characteristic that makes them slightly different .... like the variation in sights, safeties and trigger pull.

Aesthetically, the Brown is the best finished and has the smoothest "feel" in its cycle of operation. The Wilson has the heaviest, but cleanest trigger. The larger frame dimensions on late production Baer pistols either appeals to you or it doesn't. I like them all and shoot them all about the same, but I'm still inclined to think a Baer (i.e. Premier, Custom Carry, Thunder Ranch for less than $2k brand new) is the best bang for the buck when purchasing new pistols at prevailing market prices.

ranger
01-28-2021, 11:02 AM
I have been shooting 1911s, Para, and STIs since 1986. I have been blessed to never have the horror stories of 1911, etc. reliability issues. Any issues I had were either bad mags or my bad reloads. Had great success with used guns. Picked up some 9mm and 45 1911s locally here in Atlanta at great deals. My one regret so far is buying then selling a SA 1911 45 Lightweight 5 inch.

I am amazed at the quality of a used Springfield 1911 TRP Operator picked up last year.

My point is that for $3000 I would pick up a nice used 1911 and then try to get a Dillon press and reloading components to feed it plus the holsters, mag pouches, etc. (maybe just set the funds for reloading in bank until priers, etc. become available at somewhat normal pricing).

Rex G
01-28-2021, 11:14 AM
Not too long ago I had a Wilson, Baer, Nighthawk and Brown on my shooting table at the same time. I shot them back to back with the same ammo at the same target doing the same drills. All of them were 100% reliable and all of them capable of shooting gold ball sized hand-held groups at 20 yards with factory hardball. They were all 5" guns chambered in .45 Auto guns and while they were of similar build, all have a subjectively discernible characteristic that makes them slightly different .... like the variation in sights, safeties and trigger pull.

Aesthetically, the Brown is the best finished and has the smoothest "feel" in its cycle of operation. The Wilson has the heaviest, but cleanest trigger. The larger frame dimensions on late production Baer pistols either appeals to you or it doesn't. I like them all and shoot them all about the same, but I'm still inclined to think a Baer (i.e. Premier, Custom Carry, Thunder Ranch for less than $2k brand new) is the best bang for the buck when purchasing new pistols at prevailing market prices.

Interesting comparison. Thanks. A local gun store is a dealer for all of these. I see a few new ones, and a number of well-preserved, never-carried pre-owned samples. Now and then, I get an itch. Sometimes I resist the itch, telling myself that I have a lifetime supply of auto-pistols, and sometimes, well, “they pull me back in.”

My only Wilson Combat, thus far, has been a tiny .45 ACP Sentinel, 20+ years ago. Reliability with the short Sentinel-specific mags was sub-par, and I later read about a bad batch of WC mag springs, which may have been the problem. In hindsight, I wish I’d worked through the problem, rather than parting with it, but a collector wanted it, and made a decent offer.

I have three Baers. One was made about 21 years ago. The others I bought pre-owned, in 2016, and 2018 or 2019, so I don’t know if any are “late production,” or not. My Monolith has the ambidextrous safety, with the gas-pedal-like lever on the left side, which interferes with both my right-handed hold, and my left-handed hold, so I haven’t even gotten around to shooting it, yet, as I debate whether to remove metal, or replace the whole safety. With my right thumb on top of the pedal, I cannot reliably get enough depression of the grip safety. With the pistol in my left hand, the bottom of that gas pedal is very firmly against base knuckle of my left trigger finger, which may or may not cause a mechanical issue, shooting bare-handed, but could become a comfort issue, if I fire many rounds. (My hands have always been skinny and boney, so pistols sit VERY low, in my hand, and aging is making that factor worse..

It would be nice to add a Nighthawk or Ed Brown, next, but a long-slide Les Baer is also a strong contender. I tend to buy pre-owned, so, much depends upon what I happen to see in the pre-owned display case. With my right hand and shoulder going gimp, a pre-owned pistol having an ambidextrous already installed is value-added. (Actually, my trend toward being a lefty shooter has shifted my attention more toward nice revolvers, but that is a discussion for the Revolvers section of P-F.)

richiecotite
01-28-2021, 02:59 PM
FWIW, I already have a Dillon 550b with 45 acp conversion kit, a couple thousand projectiles, about 2 years of primers and powder, kydex from CCC, leather from 5Shot, a dozen WC ETM, a dozen (metalform?) 7 rounders with the nipple follower, molds and close to a half ton of lead when I’m ready to cast.

Seems like there’s one thing missing, can’t quite put my finger on it...

My birthday is in early March. I’m giving myself until then to find something off the shelf, if not then I’m going to order myself a Prime Elite for my birthday, and hopefully it’ll come in time to be my Christmas present.

rayrevolver
01-28-2021, 05:29 PM
My birthday is in early March. I’m giving myself until then to find something off the shelf, if not then I’m going to order myself a Prime Elite for my birthday, and hopefully it’ll come in time to be my Christmas present.

When I went looking for an STI I joined a forum called 1911 Addicts to buy a used 2019 Stac P. That place seems to have all kinds of high end 1911s for sale and they hit daily.

This lasted about 1 hour:

Evil_Ed
01-29-2021, 06:29 PM
OP, I'm roughly in your boat. My decision was to take my bone-stock blue Colt S80 Gov't Model, call the Colt Custom Shop, and get it worked over. They're sending me the RMA on Monday, it'll be off to them, in a couple of weeks I'll get mailed or called with an estimate as to the cost (I'm guessing roughly 2500+-), and it'll go from there.

If you add in the cost of the base gun, it'll top 3000...but I'll be getting what I want, how I want it. My main thing was getting a 1911 with a good firing pin safety that wasn't a Kimber, Sig, or Smith. (Or one of the other has-beens or never-wases) You can get all manner of custom, or near custom 1911s from Wilson, Guncrafter, Alchemy, etc...but none of them have what I want in a 1911; a firing pin safety. For that, you need to go a little off-menu...

theJanitor
01-29-2021, 06:48 PM
...but none of them have what I want in a 1911; a firing pin safety. For that, you need to go a little off-menu...

I prefer a worked over S80 for a carry piece. good call, IMO

LittleLebowski
01-29-2021, 07:02 PM
I got the news over text today, I’ll let Richie break it.

theJanitor
01-29-2021, 07:11 PM
I got the news over text today, I’ll let Richie break it.

There better be pictures

richiecotite
01-29-2021, 08:29 PM
And the search is over! I found a great condition Springfield Professional for a very fair price that was posted on 1911 addicts. Check is in the mail, and it’ll probably be 2 weeks before I get my hands on it, but a couple of pics:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210130/2e2b8d320d56417baaa926a481cd2d40.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210130/129a088ebe0f06b3bfd34938db6b5ba8.jpg

TC215
01-29-2021, 08:37 PM
Nice! That will serve you well.

JohnK
01-29-2021, 08:42 PM
And the search is over! I found a great condition Springfield Professional for a very fair price that was posted on 1911 addicts. Check is in the mail, and it’ll probably be 2 weeks before I get my hands on it, but a couple of pics:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210130/2e2b8d320d56417baaa926a481cd2d40.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210130/129a088ebe0f06b3bfd34938db6b5ba8.jpg

Pound the pi$$ out of that thing. All it will do is laugh and have a cigarette.

theJanitor
01-29-2021, 08:52 PM
A PRO is on my very short list. Very nice

M2CattleCo
01-29-2021, 09:20 PM
Can’t go wrong with a Pro!

Robinson
01-30-2021, 12:53 AM
Congrats on a terrific pistol.

45dotACP
01-30-2021, 12:38 PM
An excellent fighting 1911 with a well respected history. You won't be disappointed in a gun like that.

03RN
01-30-2021, 02:42 PM
My perfect 1911

Sensei
01-30-2021, 11:21 PM
An excellent fighting 1911 with a well respected history. You won't be disappointed in a gun like that.

Well, he may be disappointed that he doesn’t have one for each hand...:)

DGI
01-31-2021, 03:46 PM
My first 1911 was a SA TRP that served me well for a number of years. I found a Pro locally for a decent price and left work early to put a deposit on it. Sold my TRP to help fund it and havent looked back. Its served me flawlessly (with regular maintenance) for over 8 years. I've bought and sold a decent number of 1911s since picking up with Professional but its still my GO-TO 1911 for training, fun, carry, etc.

Just recently picked up a Baer and a Brown and so far I dont see any shortcomings in the Pro vs the others. Shame Springfield's custom shop is only a fraction of what it used to be.

45dotACP
01-31-2021, 05:46 PM
Well, he may be disappointed that he doesn’t have one for each hand...:)

Hate meter pegged.

LittleLebowski
01-31-2021, 09:54 PM

Man, I was spot on :D

MGW
02-01-2021, 07:19 AM

I’m playing catch up on PF so apologies if you have your answer all ready. Dustin Housel is turning out some amazing pistols. He will build exactly what you want from the ground up or from a base gun. He’s located in Joplin. I’m not sure if his books are open right now but he built a 5” 9mm for my dad a couple of years ago. He had it done in like 14 months if I remember correctly. The nitride took a couple months to get back or it would have been done in a year. He’s an up and comer and not well known. If you dig around addicts you can find plenty of positive feedback.

Florey55
02-02-2021, 12:48 AM
I have an Ed Brown Executive Elite II, and I really like it.

Highly recommended....

Better finish than a Wilson too, but I'm not sure how the EBs compare with Nighthawks

richiecotite
02-05-2021, 07:23 PM
Picked it up today, looked even better than the pics. Wore it around the house for a few in my CCC Uno, will try my 5Shot Burton Special and see if I prefer kydex or leather.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210206/5fabbe72053d158bbc80cb877d892bad.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210206/6eec7f638e83d5caed79d2182e13d857.jpg

theJanitor
02-05-2021, 07:28 PM
Picked it up today, looked even better than the pics.

color me envious

03RN
02-05-2021, 09:49 PM
What a fine fighting handgun

BWT
02-05-2021, 10:47 PM
Sweet!

Also, how does she shoot?!

Archer1440
02-07-2021, 10:15 AM
I’ve been running a pair of Professionals for 20 years now. They are well built pistols and very reliable. I broke an extractor (Wilson “bulletproof”) on one in an IDPA state match in 2003, that extractor had just been through a Gunsite 499 class and was heavily abused as a part of the class malfunction drills. Replaced it myself and it has run like a scalded kangaroo ever since. If I were to sell them I could get more than I paid, so that’s a thing too.

The only issue I’ve ever had is that invariably in a training class, I tend to cut the crap out of my right hand on the slide. I can easily palm a basketball, and sometimes when really pushing for speed, the 1911 grip and ducktail is a bit too small for me.

LittleLebowski
02-07-2021, 11:13 AM
Holler at your boy when you hit Elite next, Richie.

TCFD273
02-07-2021, 07:03 PM
I’ve owned guns from pretty much all the big names in the semi-custom world, and if I had $3,000 to burn on another 1911 right now, Alchemy would get my money.

Just ordered the new Alchemy Quantico .45. All I have to do now is wait 7 months. Lol

FNFAN
02-07-2021, 09:05 PM
I’ve been running a pair of Professionals for 20 years now.

That’s super cool! As primary carry guns? Duty guns? Love seeing pics of olde Pro’s with honest wear. I hope the OP has as much fun with his as I’ve had and I think he made a great choice.

Archer1440
02-07-2021, 09:46 PM
That’s super cool! As primary carry guns? Duty guns? Love seeing pics of olde Pro’s with honest wear. I hope the OP has as much fun with his as I’ve had and I think he made a great choice.

Yes, as primary CCW, from 2001-2018. Every scratch has a story behind it, too.

SW CQB 45
02-07-2021, 11:03 PM
Let me start by saying, I feel like I am starting over in my shooting abilities. Several years ago, a buddy and I would meet on Fridays and pump some rounds before work. I have been involved in a LEO shooting club since mid 2000s and we shot monthly between April and Oct.

The pandemic changed my workload to the point were my Fridays are busy (no time to go shoot) and my LEO shooting club did not have a season last year and I found out we wont have a season this year. I was under the weather for damn near the entire month of Dec 2021 and had not shot since early November 2021. Another hurdle is we lost the use of our police range on weekends due to noise complaints. So I recently joined a private range.

So the rust needs to definitely be broken off.

I FINALLY made it to the range today (3 months no range time :( ) and it was fun. I was joined by me, myself and I. I took my time and ran some drills with another platform to prepare for a upcoming training event.

I have yet to take my ACW apart, but I injected oil on the slide rails, barrel locking lugs and barrel bushing area.

I ran 100 rounds (zero malfunctions) and various ranges 7, 10, 15 and 25 yards. I chose semi hard fit and there is a definite semi hard snick to break the slide out of battery. In fact the slide had to be pushed the last 32nd as the thumb safety would not engage when loaded. I like that. Rob told me my piece would settle in at about 500 rounds.

My very first 40 rounds were fired at 7 yards aiming at just a bullseye type target. My goal was to make one knotted hole but a few rounds drifted high (all me and I felt them go high).

the black grips and checking made my grip rock solid. My trigger press is set at a duty acceptable 5 lbs, so this is not set up for shooting tiny holes. My shots at the longer distances were surprisedly not bad for someone who feels very rusty. Overall I am very pleased with this piece and I look forward to the next 100 rounds.

https://i.imgur.com/U2RCaWrh.jpg

richiecotite
02-07-2021, 11:27 PM
Holler at your boy when you hit Elite next, Richie.

Will do...you know I’ll be there next Sunday AM.

Got a chance to shoot it today. Put about 210 rounds through it in a little over an hour. No issues at all. Shooting a few FAST’s, it was like I couldn’t miss the first 2, and shooting at 25 yds showed that the gun has great accuracy potential and that I sick at shooting groups at 25 yds.

All in all, very pleased with my Pro

Savage Hands
02-08-2021, 01:23 PM

For a Semi-Custom 1911 I have a thing for the Springfield Pro with the Birdsong-T finish... Is a comparable Nighthawk or Wilson a better option? Possibly...

Savage Hands
02-08-2021, 10:00 PM
Hard not to like that approach. It's remarkable how hard it is to find the semi-custom EXACTLY how one wants one.

A long time ago I started with a Les Baer TRS, sent it to Harrison Custom for about $1,200 in work including Ionbond DLC. It was on the two major 1911 forums at that time and even John Harrison was answering questions in my post. I wish I kept it :o I think a few members on this forum were there at the time.

Willard
02-08-2021, 10:12 PM
I think there are better options this price point, correct?

Savage Hands
02-08-2021, 10:50 PM
I know people poo-poo the Les Baers lately but I had really good luck with one and then sent it off to EA to modify to suit my needs and it has run like a top since. I think the Springfield Professional is regarded as a really solid piece for the price, irrespective of the cast parts in certain parts of the gun. Mine is rather low mileage with only 4,500 rounds on it and haven't had a single issue. The Wilson I have is around 6,500 rounds through it and it did have to go back to the mothership because of hammer follow around the 3,000 mark. But has been good up until the mid-sixes. Mine are all .45. I dabbled with 9mm and got out of that pretty quickly.

If I were in the market now, with what I have experienced and what I have read, Alchemy would be at the top of the list, with a Springfield Professional and Wilson CQBs to follow. I think it is really good advice to find a lightly used CQB in the market and seeing if it needs a freshening up.

Jason Burton really like his Les Baer TRS and had a nice writeup on it on one of those 1911 forums, I think he had 50,000 rounds thru it by the time the test ended. I remember there was one major failure IIRC. He was one influence for me to get one back around 2007.

Savage Hands
02-09-2021, 01:28 AM
Well Exiledviking was definitely around when I had this built, he’s on the first page 😆
https://www.1911forum.com/threads/harrison-tweaked-ionbonded-trs.188051/
Edit: so was farscott

And a larger thread: https://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?41517-Harrison-Tweaked-Ionbonded-TRS/page1

farscott
02-09-2021, 05:59 AM
Yup, was there and remember the TRS HD I mentioned. That pistol came with a full-length dust cover and a piece of rail that allowed an included Streamlight (IIRC) "Tac-Lite" light to be attached. It was purchased as a nightstand pistol. The Baar rail was not nearly as finished an idea as the Dawson rail, but it was good enough for the times. Today I use a SACS Colt Rail Gun with a Surefire X300 for the same role.

rob_s
02-09-2021, 07:03 AM
This thread had me go back and look at Les Baer again. I was pleasantly surprised to find that their “Concept (https://www.lesbaer.com/Concepts.html)” line isn’t much more expensive than when I owned one over a decade ago. Based on that past experience I’d be willing to try one again.

So looks like I’m a dumbass. I never owned a Baer, it was a Brown! I guess CRS (can’t remember shit) starts at 46.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?3096-Ed-Brown-Special-Forces-vs-Wilson-Combat-CQB-vs-Yost-Bonitz-1*-Springfield-Armory-GI

Funnily enough, despite “losing”, the YB1* is probably the only gun I ever regret having sold.

rob_s
02-09-2021, 07:10 AM

I was unaware of that “model”l

That’s pretty badass.

I may have just changed my vote...

If I was just going to “own” a 1911 and not carry, train, or compete with it, that’d almost certainly be my vote.

Wingate's Hairbrush
02-09-2021, 08:16 AM

https://www.nighthawkcustom.com/colt-series70Not necessarily -- depends on your intended use. Nighthawk does their work well, and for what you're getting in that package -- to include the cost of the base Colt -- it's about what you'd pay any quality shop or gunsmith, and most of the upgrades are typical for what you do to tune a Colt.

Only thing missing is: 1) tightening slide-to-frame fit, which generally speaking has more to do with pleasing customer aesthetics than anything truly practical in function, and 2) a true gunsmith fit barrel.

richiecotite
02-09-2021, 12:42 PM
I’d be more concerned about Nighthawk being able to source series 70 colts for their deal. They have “call for more info” for availability for s70’s. *edit- was thinking of Novak’s colt gun package *

No disrespect, but I wouldn’t want that package on competition marked gun. *

Plus there’s no checkering, only serrations.

Robinson
02-09-2021, 01:39 PM
I’d be more concerned about Nighthawk being able to source series 70 colts for their deal. They have “call for more info” for availability for s70’s. *edit- was thinking of Novak’s colt gun package *

No disrespect, but I wouldn’t want that package on competition marked gun. *

It's Nighthawk's take on a classic-looking Colt with some nice upgrades, hence it is built on an O1911C and not a Competition model. That's also the reason for the serrated front strap instead of checkering. One can also send in their own O1911C for the package.

Isaac
02-09-2021, 02:45 PM
I’ve spoken to them about that model a month or two ago- they said they were having a hard time sourcing the colts and to call back in a month or so.

rob_s
02-09-2021, 03:10 PM

That’s one of the best things about it.…

richiecotite
02-09-2021, 03:41 PM
It's Nighthawk's take on a classic-looking Colt with some nice upgrades, hence it is built on an O1911C and not a Competition model. That's also the reason for the serrated front strap instead of checkering. One can also send in their own O1911C for the package.

Agreed. Meant to say Novak.

That Nighthawk is pure sex though. If I had a pile of 1911’s and wanted a simple, tastefully done Colt and didn’t want to pay Burton/Yost money, I’d roll with that one. It’s definitely on the radar for the future.

theJanitor
02-09-2021, 03:52 PM
the YB1* is probably the only gun I ever regret having sold.

Selling a 1* is regrettable. I felt the same, but I was able to buy it back years later. I think the situation would have to be pretty dire to let my 1*elite go

SW CQB 45
02-13-2021, 10:12 PM
sorry for the oil swirls.... its going to bed.

ACW CC and Wood Caliber Holly

https://i.imgur.com/wBxSZJFh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/XGYmVrOh.jpg

arcticlightfighter
12-03-2021, 06:57 PM
Want an Alchemy or SA Professional

This thread isn’t helping

gato naranja
12-04-2021, 08:50 AM
ACW CC and Wood Caliber Holly

https://i.imgur.com/XGYmVrOh.jpg

Oh, yeah! Two icons that still flat-out work.

I have a set of Wood Caliber Holly double diamonds that I have not gotten around to putting on my 9mm Springfield Range Officer. It might be a bit like putting lipstick on an under-$1,000 pig, but the pistol works, shoots better than I do these days, and is sort of a smaller-calibered "tribute" to the kind of "pet" pistol I remember old (to me at the time) guys of moderate means having.

Now that I am an old (for real) guy of (very) moderate means, this circle will be complete. I need to get off my butt and install those grips.

SW CQB 45
12-04-2021, 10:02 PM
I actually made changes to that grip. I will no longer purchase a smooth grip. I am into function than looks. So, I sent them back to Wood Caliber and $25. I feel better now.

https://i.imgur.com/N6HrdhNh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/QhPof95h.jpg

OK, to include looks and function. Here are my church grips with texture....

https://i.imgur.com/B26IcVVh.jpg

gato naranja
12-05-2021, 08:10 AM
I actually made changes to that grip. I will no longer purchase a smooth grip. I am into function than looks. So, I sent them back to Wood Caliber and $25. I feel better now.

https://i.imgur.com/N6HrdhNh.jpg

I don't think that modification hurt the looks at all.

Over the years I have had a lot of revolvers with smooth grips that I really liked, but few semiautos. That may be more psycho than logical, but so be it.

Maca
12-05-2021, 09:18 AM
regarding 1911 grips,

I settled on these from Railscales after trying many, many, many different ones. They feel great, the hand falls into place very consistently, and while they are very grippy, they are not abrasive against bare skin.