PDA

View Full Version : SIG Stops Production of .40 S&W Pistols

farscott
01-21-2021, 04:45 PM
Have we done this? https://www.sigtalk.com/threads/sig-has-discontinued-40-cal.403725/

Thank you for contacting Sig Sauer.

Due to the popularity of other calibers many of our current models in .40 have been discontinued and it remains to be seen if we will be resuming manufacturing in .40 again in the future.

Regards,
SIG REP

My guess is this reflects the market turn to 9x19. I assume .357 SIG is also being pulled from production. Of course, now that SIG is no longer making pistols for these cartridges, there will be a huge spike in demand for SIG pistols chambered in both cartridges. :)

And both will be back in a decade like 10mm....

octagon
01-21-2021, 05:22 PM
You are probably right. 40 may make a bit of a comeback if there is a magazine limit of 10 rounds.

I personally like my 40 cal guns because I can use 9mm and 357 sig conversion barrels and shoot 3 calibers from the same gun so ammo adaptability is a plus.

RancidSumo
01-21-2021, 05:35 PM
No tears from me. My first pistol was a .40 and I'm glad I quickly switched to 9mm and I haven't shot a .40 in years. At 18 years old, .40 would cause my left wrist to lock up and hurt like hell after a couple mags. No idea why - I have no other problems with that wrist. Maybe I'm just a pussy.

Joe in PNG
01-21-2021, 05:45 PM
Makes sense, considering the piles of police trade in 226s & 229s that filled the AIM & CDNN inventory for years and years.

CarlK
01-21-2021, 06:51 PM
40 may make a bit of a comeback if there is a magazine limit of 10 rounds.

You read my mind. I have been purchasing several 10 round .40 mags for my P2000 and P99 just in case we are faced with such restrictions in the near term. As a bonus to the 9mm P99 I recently picked up from a PF member, I snagged a complete P99 .40 slide, barrel, and recoil rod on eBay for $150.00. I fired it today and it worked perfectly. Another bonus is that .40 ammo is still available in some stores in the Seattle metro area.

fpnunes
01-21-2021, 07:11 PM
While the market has certainly shifted, and I no longer own anything in .40, I have to say that the Sig P229 has to be the smoothest/easiest gun to shoot in .40 cal. Solid guns that were a joy to own. Shame that SIG quality has totally turned to dog shit.

NPV
01-21-2021, 07:22 PM
You are probably right. 40 may make a bit of a comeback if there is a magazine limit of 10 rounds.

I personally like my 40 cal guns because I can use 9mm and 357 sig conversion barrels and shoot 3 calibers from the same gun so ammo adaptability is a plus.

To that note, do we think Sig is smart enough to bring back the P225 or P239 if we do indeed see the implementation of a magazine limit?

I’m gonna say probably maybe not.

Flat6
01-21-2021, 07:27 PM
If only there were surplus .40 ammo to take advantage of the AIM Leo 229 I bought for $385 along with $12 mags. A potential hedge on .40 cal availability was my justification for getting one yet ammo stock no different from 9 for me. Surprised how compliant it is to shoot.

JAD
01-21-2021, 07:47 PM
If only there were surplus .40 ammo to take advantage of the AIM Leo 229 I bought for $385 along with $12 mags. A potential hedge on .40 cal availability was my justification for getting one yet ammo stock no different from 9 for me. Surprised how compliant it is to shoot.

I did the same thing, but also bought a good little pile of ammo at $11 a box.

farscott
01-21-2021, 08:22 PM
I have a Glock 23 with spare .357 and 9x19 barrels and a VP40 upper with five magazines for my VP9. My original plan after Sandy Hook was to use .40 for practice should we have another shortage, but there is just no ammo in any caliber out there. Pretty soon my 9x23 1911 will be going into my holster. I have a few thousand loaded rounds for it, including 500 or so of the Silvertip factory round.

If the ammo supply does not get better, gun sales will fall through the floor as buyers will not buy guns that cannot be shot.

Navin Johnson
01-21-2021, 09:53 PM
Perhaps they can't or won't build their product to handle the more abusive caliber?

NPV
01-21-2021, 10:12 PM
Perhaps they can't or won't build their product to handle the more abusive caliber?

I can’t speak to the newer P320 but the P229 was designed around the .40 cal as well as the milled slide P226, both proven themselves to be up to the task.

John Hearne
01-21-2021, 10:20 PM
If we go back to 10 round limits, I'll be back in the 45 world.

Don't know if it's there today, but my local cop shop still had 40 S&W Winchester White Box.

Sig_Fiend
01-21-2021, 11:29 PM
To that note, do we think Sig is smart enough to bring back the P225 or P239 if we do indeed see the implementation of a magazine limit?

Nope. They'll just create a metal 365XL frame, call it the P365 AXG Viking or some nonsense, charge $1K for it and call it good. (I'm making this up, but wouldn't surprise me)

ECVMatt
01-21-2021, 11:35 PM
I still like the .40 and don't ever see being without one or two. Ammo shortages of past and present have shown me the value of diversity in the safe. As I slowly move into the Gen 5 Glocks, I will have a Gen 5 22 in the mix for sure. I am just hoping I don't have to fight all those "Police Trade In" owners for .40 ammo. The more companies that drop the .40, the better positioned Glock for the market.

Sammy1
01-22-2021, 06:43 AM
From another forum, the OP emailed Sig asking about 40cal;

Due to the popularity of other calibers many of our current models in .40 have been discontinued and it remains to be seen if we will be resuming manufacturing in .40 again in the future.

Regards,
Aaron Weeden

jd950
01-22-2021, 10:01 AM
From another forum, the OP emailed Sig asking about 40cal;

Regards,
Aaron Weeden

This from the same people who think it is a good idea in the current political/social climate to name a new gun model the "nightmare." ;-)

Rex G
01-22-2021, 10:52 AM
The typically-SIG high bore axis, present in the P220-series and derivative pistols, and at least some other SIG model lines, was/is not the best platform to be shooting .40 S&W, for those of us with thumb, hand, and wrist problems. It is a simple matter of physics, and we all know what Scotty told Kirk about the laws of physics. Had my chief not OK’ed 9mm duty pistols, by September 2015, I was going to soon have to transition away from my .40 P229, which I had been using since 2004, to something with less muzzle flip, or perhaps, just retire and be done with it. I bought a Gen4 G17, returning to the Glock system, but 9mm, even though I have never been able to shoot Glocks as well as SIGs. (I had used G22 duty pistols, 2002-2004, and barrel porting broke no PD rules, so a G22C was a consideration, as was a G21*, as .45 ACP had already been added, as an approved duty cartridge. I had already bought a duty holster to accommodate a G21, when the chief OK’ed 9mm for street duty.)

To be clear, I am not blaming .40 S&W, or SIG, for wrecking my right thumb, hand, and wrist. Others things caused the problems. I trained much, with a P229 in my left hand, and it is still OK. Had SIGs been the only acceptable duty pistols, I would have added a 9mm P229 or P226 to my qual list, but I wanted the lower bore axis, along with 9mm.

*A G21 is notably heavier than a G22. Weight damps recoil. Plus, while .45 ACP has more total recoil energy, than .40 S&W, it is “nicer” about how it goes about transferring that energy. I still shoot .45 ACP, from low-bore-axis, all-steel 1911 pistols. In 2016, after another rule change, I was able to again carry a 1911 duty pistol, on the street, and did so. There is nothing, quite so Texas-peace-officer-ish, as a .45 ACP 1911 duty pistol, on the hip. :cool:

BillSWPA
01-22-2021, 11:24 AM
I have heard or read about more guns being blown up by .40 than all other calibers combined, which is likely due to the thinned case wall and prevalence of pistols with less than fully supported chambers. The only incident I personally witnessed involved a .40.

Although using goood quality new ammo minimizes the likelihood of an issue, what happens when remanufactured ammo happens to be the only ammo you can find in stock when you need ammo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vcdgrips
01-22-2021, 11:34 AM
.40 cal Glock 35 is my primary because the vast majority of my client agencies shot .40 cal and Glock.

As they have started to shift back to 9mm, if and when I can train with them again, I would consider doing the same.

I, too as I have posted before, would pivot back to .45 cal in a 10 round world.

The only question is do I buy another 1911 at 999-1499 (Springfield LB Operator or a blem Dan Wesson) or 2 S&W M&P 45s.

Upside to the 1911 is I already have all the mags/holsters/mag pouches etc.

That is the downside of the M&P for me

2 guns (Practice/Carry) 1000

Holsters etc.
AIWB
IWB
OWB
OWB range holsters
mag pouches 300

Magsx6 (3 with gun) 250

As I type this out, I am leaning 1911.

learnerpermitted
01-22-2021, 12:22 PM

I was excited to get a no-rail legacy slide 229 in .40 but was saddened when I was unable to find any kydex holster for it. Nonetheless it was worth more to me to keep around than selling.

Flat6
01-22-2021, 12:51 PM
I was excited to get a no-rail legacy slide 229 in .40 but was saddened when I was unable to find any kydex holster for it. Nonetheless it was worth more to me to keep around than selling.

I have the same legacy slide no rail. It fits my JMCK P228 wingclaw holster with the same ease.

SecondsCount
01-22-2021, 12:51 PM
Back in the 2008-10 timeframe, I was shooting a M&P40.1 because the local police were using the range I belonged, and would leave buckets of 40 brass behind. There was a local guy that cast 155 grain bullets and total cost to reload was $88/1K.

Today I see no reason to carry a 40, and would rather have a 1911 in 45ACP.

OfficeCat
01-22-2021, 12:59 PM
Nope. They'll just create a metal 365XL frame, call it the P365 AXG Viking or some nonsense, charge $1K for it and call it good. (I'm making this up, but wouldn't surprise me)

I'll wait for the P365 AXG Viking XXL Legion with a compass in the grip and a thing that tells time.

Borderland
01-22-2021, 01:06 PM
40 dried up in the range brass bucket years ago. I was seeing more 45 acp than 40 about 2 years ago. It's like everything else, companies make more money on unit sales. Now that Sig can sell every 9mm pistol they make it makes little sense to make a small number of pistols in 40 that will have to be sold at discount prices.

I've never owned a 40 so I don't know what the benefit would be over 9mm. When mag bans go to 10, 45 acp will be the big winner, not 40. I already have mine because I know it's coming.

OfficeCat
01-22-2021, 01:36 PM
I've never owned a 40 so I don't know what the benefit would be over 9mm.

For me, the benefits are 1) 40 was the caliber of a couple of nice pistols that would have cost significantly more had they been chambered in 9mm, thus putting them out of the "I really don't need that but it's a good deal and it's cool" bracket, and 2) 40 knocks down steel plates more satisfyingly than a 9mm.

rcbusmc24
01-22-2021, 03:27 PM
The only thing still keeping .40 alive at this point is making major scoring for USPSA and such, and those guys aren't really buying factory ammo so...…

As to the Sigs, I'm pretty sure that the divisions that most of the guys that are running the Sigs in, IE: Production and Carry optics, don't have major scoring so their is little to no demand for those guns in that caliber..... Makes business sense to me.

zaitcev
01-22-2021, 04:08 PM
I'm afraid that 10-round limit will not do much for the .40. If you look at the sources like Ellfritz, .40 is basically indistinguishable from the 9mm in effectiveness. The only thing it does better is barrier penetration (it is even more true for .357 SIG). So the people who want to make more use out of the limit will go straight to 10mm and .45.

rcbusmc24
01-22-2021, 04:25 PM
I'm afraid that 10-round limit will not do much for the .40. If you look at the sources like Ellfritz, .40 is basically indistinguishable from the 9mm in effectiveness. The only thing it does better is barrier penetration (it is even more true for .357 SIG). So the people who want to make more use out of the limit will go straight to 10mm and .45.

While not the intent of this thread, I will say that the only issue with things like 10mm and 45 is gun size. .40 cal guns are generally the same size as 9mm ones. While .45 /10mm vice .40/ 9mm doesn't really matter much for service sized weapons, for small carry guns it does.... A lot, and in fact drove much innovation in the small pistol market in the late 90's and early 2000s as the concealed carry market grew. I find it interesting that the small carry pistol market really only exploded with a bunch of good options once the .40 was no longer really considered a serious contender for many. Thus I wonder if things like .45 GAP would have a chance of coming back if a new 10 round limit was enacted? As I recall it was developed to be a 10 round magazine .45 caliber cartridge that fit into a 9mm or 40 cal frame sized gun. If the AWB had never expired I wonder how popular that cartridge would be today, as well as how much effort would have been put in to 9mm improvements over the last 20 years if we could only have had 10 of them in the gun? Remembering of course that these improvements are what really makes it the de facto logical choice of today for many of us...

HeavyDuty
01-22-2021, 07:22 PM
I think it was Mas who made the observation that .40 and .45 make a lot of sense for the winter in parka country - if you’re going to have a HP plug up with down parka and Carhartt, it’s better to have effective ball that pinches bigger holes than 9mm. That’s one reason I still like .40.

deputyG23
01-22-2021, 09:17 PM
I think it was Mas who made the observation that .40 and .45 make a lot of sense for the winter in parka country - if you’re going to have a HP plug up with down parka and Carhartt, it’s better to have effective ball that pinches bigger holes than 9mm. That’s one reason I still like .40.

And a number of rural Sheriff’s Offices here in VA still carry .40 and have recently bought new pistols in that caliber.
Our neighbor to the west issues the full size P320 in .40.
Hope they have enough on hand for future growth and inventory shrinkage from retirements...

zaitcev
01-22-2021, 09:41 PM
While not the intent of this thread, I will say that the only issue with things like 10mm and 45 is gun size. .40 cal guns are generally the same size as 9mm ones. While .45 /10mm vice .40/ 9mm doesn't really matter much for service sized weapons, for small carry guns it does....
That's a good point... Although I pocket-carry my Shield 45 at times, I cannot do it in all of my pants.

rangerover
01-23-2021, 09:21 AM
Let me start by admitting I know NOTHING compared to the vast majority of the members here.

That being said, I’ve tried to learn as much as I can about terminal performance and I thought I learned that a good 9mm bullet, take GD 124+p was basically the equivalent of .40 and.45. I admit in the deep woods or around automobiles there are reasons to pick one over the other but capacity never enters those equations.

When I see people say they are going to.40 or .45 if 10 round limits become the law, my mind interprets that as really saying.40 and.45 have better terminal performance than 9mm if capacity is the same. If it’s not true for 1 bullet, is it really true for 10?

Please be gentle, I’m trying to learn.

John Hearne
01-23-2021, 09:55 AM
I know it’s not a popular opinion but the P320 in 45 is a solid option. If they’d make an X grip module for it, I’d be in trouble.

HCountyGuy
01-23-2021, 10:01 AM

Doesn’t Hornady’s polymer-tipped offerings like Critical Duty and Critical Defense help prevent such plugging?

octagon
01-23-2021, 10:09 AM
Let me start by admitting I know NOTHING compared to the vast majority of the members here.

That being said, I’ve tried to learn as much as I can about terminal performance and I thought I learned that a good 9mm bullet, take GD 124+p was basically the equivalent of .40 and.45. I admit in the deep woods or around automobiles there are reasons to pick one over the other but capacity never enters those equations.

When I see people say they are going to.40 or .45 if 10 round limits become the law, my mind interprets that as really saying.40 and.45 have better terminal performance than 9mm if capacity is the same. If it’s not true for 1 bullet, is it really true for 10?

It's not that the 9mm is every bit equal to 40 and 45 but that it is close enough to them that the extra capacity, lower recoil and usually lower cost makes it the better choice for many people. I carried a 40 cal Glock 23 from the mid 90s when they came out up until I retired in 2016. Early on it was because 40 loads were better than 9 and later because I got free carry and practice ammo. It is the same size and weight as a Glock 19. Once I had to pay for my own training and carry ammo I switched to 9mm. There is also more loads to choose from now that work in 9mm than 1990s and early 00's.

Some people prefer 40 or 45 over 9mm for their circumstances that may include heavy clothing or large predatory animals being encountered more. 45 almost always requires a larger and heavier gun and always has much lower capacity in similar sized guns so the trade offs between 9mm and 45 seem more pronounced to me. That said when picking the best ammo and gun when all are available it is mostly splitting hairs between them for most people. Lastly switching calibers is easiest with a 40 if other calibers are available or prefered as I mentioned in a previous post in this thread so there is some added benefit there also.

Guerrero
01-23-2021, 10:11 AM

You're basically correct. I think people are saying that given a 10-round limit, they want to squeeze every last little iota of "oomph" out of their gun as possible even if, in practical terms, it doesn't make that much of a difference.

There's a bunch of other factors at play, too (gun size, hand size, recoil, cost, etc.) that will be different for each person.

ST911
01-23-2021, 12:02 PM
I don't believe an AWB or mag limitation is as near on the horizon as some others. Given one though, I wouldn't make a change. Current gear is sufficient for my needs, baselined, and spares are stocked. When I test truth and revisit other guns and calibers, my performance is quantifiably poorer. Not uncorrectable, but the difference exists and is more significant as guns shrink. And that difference is likely to offset any potential ballistic gain. Clogged JHPs occur, but thinking about a bunch of shootings here in the northern tier I think we give it too much airtime. Especially with some of the current bullet tech available.

jd950
01-23-2021, 12:02 PM
Recognizing that cartridge improvements in 9mm have diminished the appeal of .40 for most users in most situations, I still like the caliber for some uses and in some guns. To some extent I think one thing that contributed to its fall from grace is folks buying small, lightweight guns in the caliber. I kind of shake my head when someone gets a Glock 27, loads it with 155gr Gold Dots and then hates on the caliber in general because of recoil.

In a mid-large metal gun, like a P229, P226, S&W 4006, etc., it is really not so bad., especially so with the 180gr loads. A few times a year, I spend time in the mountains where there are potential black bear and mountain lion risks and I feel just a bit better carrying a bonded 180gr .40 instead of my usual 9mm. Perhaps there is no legit basis for that feeling, but there it is. I also feel that the .40, with proper ammo choice, can offer potentially better performance against auto glass and some other intermediate barriers, for those where that is a significant issue.

The .40 is no “less” a cartridge than it was when it was the caliber everybody wanted to carry. But, I agree that overall, for most people and most uses, the 9mm is a better choice. There is also some “romantic” appeal to the 40 caliber for me. I recall reading about how Bill Jordan, Elmer Keith and others thought that a .40 caliber 200gr bullet at about 1000 fps would be the perfect self-defense/law enforcement round, and have read of the huge popularity of the 38-40 (similar properties to the current .40) back in the old days.

This .40 idea gave birth to the .41 magnum police load and the S&W Model 58, adopted or issued by San Antonio P.D. and San Francisco P.D. among others. Sometime later, a 10mm 200gr bullet at about 1000fps became a pet project of Jeff Cooper, who felt it would be superior to his beloved .45 ACP., and then of course, the 10mm was approved by the FBI after extensive testing. The 10mm that did so well in testing and was adopted was not the full-power 10mm, but a 180-gr. Sierra JHP bullet loaded to 950 f.p.s.. That handload performed almost as well as the full-charge 10 mm in FBI tests of penetration and expansion and “far exceeded our expectations,” according to Urey Patrick.

I know, sentiment is a poor excuse for choosing a defensive/LE caliber, but I find it interesting to ponder over a nice Scotch in an evening and the truth remains; no one claims the .40 S&W isn’t a solid performer, it is just that the 9mm has stepped up its game and does so without the negative aspects of the .40.

But, still…

ETA corrected some typos

Navin Johnson
01-23-2021, 12:41 PM
For those that believe the 40 is superior why not carry it now?

fpnunes
01-23-2021, 01:34 PM

They won't bring them back. It's a striker fired, high margin, plastic world and most manufacturers today have little regard for history. The P225 in it's original form was a fantastic firearm and I wish that they were still produced true to the original. But if wishes were fishes...

babypanther
01-23-2021, 03:07 PM
I have seen where some "in the know" Cool Army Guys have said that a G22 with a KKM comp'd barrel and a red dot is actually a pretty awesome set up, having less subjective recoil than something like a Glock 19 comp'd.

jd950
01-23-2021, 04:08 PM
They won't bring them back. It's a striker fired, high margin, plastic world and most manufacturers today have little regard for history. The P225 in it's original form was a fantastic firearm and I wish that they were still produced true to the original. But if wishes were fishes...

Agreed. Whether guns, cameras, cars or anything else, manufacturers will make what they think will sell. Can't blame them, really. Except for me and maybe a dozen other guys, few want metal guns or double action guns anymore.

octagon
01-23-2021, 05:47 PM
For those that believe the 40 is superior why not carry it now?

It's been covered. You get more capacity,lighter recoil and cheaper ammo in 9mm rather than 40. The difference is small enough that the benefits outweigh the small difference between them. If it is 40 vs 45 for me I would choose 40 for the smaller, lighter guns and greater capacity for gun size the 40 offers.

Navin Johnson
01-23-2021, 05:55 PM
It's been covered. You get more capacity,lighter recoil and cheaper ammo in 9mm rather than 40. The difference is small enough that the benefits outweigh the small difference between them. If it is 40 vs 45 for me I would choose 40 for the smaller, lighter guns and greater capacity for gun size the 40 offers.

....... You thought I was serious?

HCM
01-23-2021, 06:25 PM
Doesn’t Hornady’s polymer-tipped offerings like Critical Duty and Critical Defense help prevent such plugging?

Yes - Winchester has gotten into the act as well with the Ranger One.

Joe45
01-23-2021, 06:44 PM
Yes - Winchester has gotten into the act as well with the Ranger One.Any reports on this one? I had a chance to buy some ranger one, but don't know much about it yet.

BehindBlueI's
01-23-2021, 07:10 PM

One of the common arguments is that magazines *designed* as 8 round mags or 10 round mags are more reliable then mags *designed* as 15-17 round mags neutered to only fit 10 rounds. If you can only buy 10 round (or less) capacity new magazines, then that becomes a concern.

I was very late to the 9mm party and switched when my department switched. I'd go back to my P220(s) with zero concern. I'll stick with my 17M with equally zero concerns.

LockedBreech
01-23-2021, 09:22 PM
If we went down to a 10-round limit, my easy and automatic choice would be the 4.6" M2.0 .45 Auto. Designed for that capacity, accurate as a laser, reliable as all hell, nice and big so it shoots like a compact 9. Good stuff.

HCM
01-23-2021, 09:29 PM
Any reports on this one? I had a chance to buy some ranger one, but don't know much about it yet.

No. Just know the polymer insert is different than the Hornady / G2. it appears to be harder plastic with holes. Win claims the holes allow fluid to pass through the insert and enter the HP cavity aiding expansion, which to me, sounds a lot like the hydra shok....

ViniVidivici
01-24-2021, 12:21 AM
Just have to say, I don't give a rat's ass about "mag limits", and won't change anything I do based on such arbitrary and illegal nonsense.

It would behoove ALL of us to resist in this fashion. Fuck the enemy.

I think Sigs move is just the recognition of what is now a major trend in the biggest contracts out there. Everyone Sig does, or wants to, sell to, is going 9mm. I guess it's a streamlining of sorts.

.40 is slowly but surely going away. It won't fizzle like some others have though. I doubt any other major manufacturers will go this route, but then again, a few weeks ago I'd have said Sig wouldn't do this either.

My love affair with .40 was the next step after transitioning from 1911s in .45ACP. Carried and shot a G23 for years. Still have it.

But I've permanently converted to 9mm (G17 and G19, mostly the 19 these days) for the same reasons others have already stated.

My splits are best with it, and the capacity is great. Last week I carried the G19 with a 19 round mag in. Very comforting for riot control option.

Bucky
01-24-2021, 05:31 AM
Strange time for Sig to be doing this, when you’re more likely to find .40 ammo on the shelve than 9mm.

rangerover
01-24-2021, 09:09 AM
Thanks to all for the replies. I'll keep my .40 for the woods and my G26 and G48 for the city. I have a lot to learn

BehindBlueI's
01-24-2021, 11:19 AM
Strange time for Sig to be doing this, when you’re more likely to find .40 ammo on the shelve than 9mm.

If you assume they are selling every gun they make at the moment, whatever changes streamline the process and increase efficiency so more guns of any kind go out the door makes perfect sense. You don't need options to entice consumers in this market, you just need stock.

HCM
01-24-2021, 11:22 AM
When you’re more likely to find .40 ammo on the shelve than 9mm.

People keep saying that but in my area this is absolutely not true.

Rex G
01-24-2021, 11:40 AM

Not where I shop; typically Luckygunner dot com, Midway USA, and one LGS.

My .40 P229R DAK bashes and batters my arthritic right thumb, hand, and wrist, which prompted me to retire it in 2015, as soon as my chief OK’ed 9mm duty pistols, but, because long-stroke DA is my least-perishable triggering skill, I figured I would buy some fresh ammo for it. Well. Hmm. Wrong. I have exactly 13 rounds of my old .40 Gold Dots, that was properly stored in the box, in a clean, dry place. (I gave away the rest of my .40 ammo, after I phased-out shooting .40 S&W.)

Navin Johnson
01-24-2021, 11:59 AM
Sig likely didn't decide to stop production of 40's last week....these things are planned at minimum months in advance....larger companies plan multiple years ahead....

Frankly I wish the 40 would go away as it has ruined the design of many 9's. (think bigger and heavier than necessary) Much cheaper to design one gun for both calibers.

HCM
01-24-2021, 12:55 PM

My .40 P229R DAK bashes and batters my arthritic right thumb, hand, and wrist, which prompted me to retire it in 2015, as soon as my chief OK’ed 9mm duty pistols, but, because long-stroke DA is my least-perishable triggering skill, I figured I would buy some fresh ammo for it. Well. Hmm. Wrong. I have exactly 13 rounds of my old .40 Gold Dots, that was properly stored in the box, in a clean, dry place. (I gave away the rest of my .40 ammo, after I phased-out shooting .40 S&W.)

Rex,

FYI I’ve had great results using a Bar-sto 40 to 9 conversion barrel in my .40 cal p229s with .40 cal mags. Mine has done OK with the 40 spring But some recommend swapping to the 9 mm spring as well, I think it depends on what type of 9 mm ammo you’re using.

jd950
01-24-2021, 01:06 PM
People keep saying that but in my area this is absolutely not true.

Me too. And not just locally. For a little while I was still able to get .40 at a slightly lower price than 9mm. It appears now that 22, 380, 9, 40 and 45 are are pretty close in lack of availability. .357 Sig seems a little better, but not much.

jd950
01-24-2021, 01:21 PM
FWIW (and this is just a respectful, friendly suggestion), I would advocate not getting into discussions about whether one would or should comply with any prospective gun control orders/legislation or other laws. This is not a private space and the First Amendment does not seem to mean what it did in the past. If nothing else, please understand that there are people who post here and who might want to participate in a thread, but who really should not get involved in discussions about such legal issues.

Mods: If this comment is inappropriate/unwelcome, then please delete and accept my apology.

Rex G
01-24-2021, 01:25 PM
Rex,

FYI I’ve had great results using a Bar-sto 40 to 9 conversion barrel in my .40 cal p229s with .40 cal mags. Mine has done OK with the 40 spring But some recommend swapping to the 9 mm spring as well, I think it depends on what type of 9 mm ammo you’re using.

Thanks. Actually, I bought such a Bar-Sto 40-to-9 barrel, years ago, but have been unable to find it, since we cleaned-up after Hurricane Harvey. I looked where I thought that I had stored it, which would not have gotten wet, but it was not there. Maybe I will eventually find it, in some box or bag of gun stuff. It would be nice to convert my P229R DAK, permanently, to 9mm, with the Bar-Sto barrel, and with a 9mm extractor, especially if it would prove to reliably feed a good defensive load, such as my stash of G2 or Gold Dots.

I can still shoot .40 in my P229R DAK, in moderation, and, preferably, with an nicely heavy WML on the rail, and mostly with my still-healthy left hand. When I was wrecking my right hand, in the Eighties, with big-bore Magnums, I mostly fired the big guns with my right hand, and .38 Specials with my back-up/secondary Model 60, left-handed. I write lefty, and found it difficult to write reports, with that ancient artifact known as a pen, :) if I fired many big-bore Magnum rounds lefty. (Yes, that was a clue, that I missed, for too long. Not until about 1990 did I finally admit to myself that I have K/L/GP100/1911/P220-sized hands.)

jd950
01-24-2021, 01:27 PM

Some stock grips are hard on the right side thumb. There are alternatives that may feel better. Also, with some searching you could probably find a 9mm top end to use on the gun and if nothing else, Barsto can fit a 9mm conversion barrel.

Hope that might help make the gun better for you. If you need more grip info, feel free to send a PM.

CWM11B
01-24-2021, 01:46 PM
I have it on good authority this is just for commercial SKUs, not government sales. LE and military can still get the.40s if they choose to. Probably a wise business decision with 9mm pistols being the big commercial seller (and im no fan of SIG). I know for a fact they have recently made 2000 P320s in .357 Sig for which there is no SKU.

Rex G
01-24-2021, 01:55 PM
Some stock grips are hard on the right side thumb. There are alternatives that may feel better. Also, with some searching you could probably find a 9mm top end to use on the gun and if nothing else, Barsto can fit a 9mm conversion barrel.

Hope that might help make the gun better for you. If you need more grip info, feel free to send a PM.

Thanks!

John Hearne
01-24-2021, 02:33 PM
Sig likely didn't decide to stop production of 40's last week....these things are planned at minimum months in advance....larger companies plan multiple years ahead.....

Exactly. There was a thread from January of last year where Sig announced the dramatic downsizing of their product lines? Full size and subcompact 320’s in 40 and 45 were eliminated. I’m guessing that they sold more 45s than 40s so the 45s stuck around and the 40’s went away.

I’d bet good money that 40s will remain available for LE customers. With the P320s (or 226s) the frames are the same. Just run a whole bunch of complete 40 slides and slap them on when needed.

HCM
01-24-2021, 03:39 PM
Just saw sone if on social media claiming SIG NH is just shut down completely for a couple weeks due to a cluster of positive ‘rona cases among employees. Supposedly per a Davidson’s rep.

HCM
01-24-2021, 03:42 PM
Thanks. Actually, I bought such a Bar-Sto 40-to-9 barrel, years ago, but have been unable to find it, since we cleaned-up after Hurricane Harvey. I looked where I thought that I had stored it, which would not have gotten wet, but it was not there. Maybe I will eventually find it, in some box or bag of gun stuff. It would be nice to convert my P229R DAK, permanently, to 9mm, with the Bar-Sto barrel, and with a 9mm extractor, especially if it would prove to reliably feed a good defensive load, such as my stash of G2 or Gold Dots.

I can still shoot .40 in my P229R DAK, in moderation, and, preferably, with an nicely heavy WML on the rail, and mostly with my still-healthy left hand. When I was wrecking my right hand, in the Eighties, with big-bore Magnums, I mostly fired the big guns with my right hand, and .38 Specials with my back-up/secondary Model 60, left-handed. I write lefty, and found it difficult to write reports, with that ancient artifact known as a pen, :) if I fired many big-bore Magnum rounds lefty. (Yes, that was a clue, that I missed, for too long. Not until about 1990 did I finally admit to myself that I have K/L/GP100/1911/P220-sized hands.)

Top Gun Supply carries the Barsto conversions. Jarvis, KKM and EFK all make conversion barrels for SIG as well.

Rex G
01-24-2021, 03:58 PM
Top Gun Supply carries the Barsto conversions. Jarvis, KKM and EFK all make conversion barrels for SIG as well.

Thanks. Out-of-stock, at present, though. I bought my now-misplaced Bar-Sto barrel from TGS.

If I could find 357 ammo, I’d have already bought a SIG 357 barrel, but, unlike during previous ammo-buying panics, 357 SIG is rarer than .40 S&W.

Not to worry; I have plenty of revolving pistols. :)

Velo Dog
01-24-2021, 04:57 PM
Any reports on this one? I had a chance to buy some ranger one, but don't know much about it yet.

https://www.bluesheepdog.com/2019/03/13/winchester-releases-ranger-one-le-ammo/#Specifications

9MM LUGER 147 GRAIN BONDED JACKETED HOLLOW POINT WINCHESTER RANGER ONE RA9B1 @ 1010 FPS 4" BARREL

PENETRATION EXPANSION RETAINED WEIGHT % RETAINED WEIGHT
Bare Gelatin 13-inches 0.644 inches 99.1 144.99 grains
Heavy Cloth 13.7-inches 0.577 inches 99.5 145.55 grains
Wallboard 13.1-inches 0.607 inches 99.5 145.59 grains
Plywood 16.6-inches 0.517 inches 99.5 145.59 grains
Steel 17.5-inches 0.476 inches 99.4 145.49 grains
Auto Glass 12.8-inches 0.476 inches 67.5 98.75 grains

BehindBlueI's
01-24-2021, 10:09 PM
Mods: If this comment is inappropriate/unwelcome, then please delete and accept my apology.

Post is fine.

And a reminder of forum rules:

Under absolutely no circumstances should you ever: Post comments in support of criminal violence or other illegal activities, including illegal modifications of firearms.

https://pistol-forum.com/misc.php?do=showrules

I don't give two sideways shits what any given member elects to comply or not comply with. That's your risk to run. You do you but PF isn't the place for it. There are many long standing members who simply can't or won't risk being associated with it for professional reasons, and that predates today's current events.

HCM
01-24-2021, 10:39 PM
Just saw sone if on social media claiming SIG NH is just shut down completely for a couple weeks due to a cluster of positive ‘rona cases among employees. Supposedly per a Davidson’s rep.

Apparently confirmed but it's only a partial shut down.

BehindBlueI's
01-24-2021, 11:14 PM
Apparently confirmed but it's only a partial shut down.

I hope it's not the entire QC dept. If both guys are out sick, that'll be bad.

fatdog
01-25-2021, 08:20 AM
Full size and subcompact 320’s in 40 and 45 were eliminated. I’m guessing that they sold more 45s than 40s so the 45s stuck around and the 40’s went away.

Just because I want to play with the 320 some day I started following some, now is clearly not the time to buy much of anything. I was following what appears to me to be an unremarkable P320 compact in .45ACP (https://www.gunbroker.com/item/890060630) and was stunned when it went for $1,300....really? Maybe because it is temporarily out of production?

Hard to believe where this current market is.

John Hearne
01-25-2021, 09:55 AM
Just because I want to play with the 320 some day I started following some, now is clearly not the time to buy much of anything. I was following what appears to me to be an unremarkable P320 compact in .45ACP (https://www.gunbroker.com/item/890060630) and was stunned when it went for $1,300....really? Maybe because it is temporarily out of production?
Hard to believe where this current market is.

I was speaking with a friend who runs the training division of a decent size range. I was discussing selling several firearms I don't use any more - primarily a Kahr P9 Covert and a skinny rail P220ST. He advised that "anything shaped like a gun" is selling for top dollar right now.

Looking at the IOP option, the P320 Compact in 45 is backordered which means its available in 60-120 day. The full size 45 is listed as "unavailable" and the full size 40 is listed as "back ordered." A lot of the pricing seems to be driven by what you can get your hands on TODAY. The "TODAY!" premium seems quite high.

GJM
01-25-2021, 11:37 AM
I was speaking with a friend who runs the training division of a decent size range. I was discussing selling several firearms I don't use any more - primarily a Kahr P9 Covert and a skinny rail P220ST. He advised that "anything shaped like a gun" is selling for top dollar right now.

Looking at the IOP option, the P320 Compact in 45 is backordered which means its available in 60-120 day. The full size 45 is listed as "unavailable" and the full size 40 is listed as "back ordered." A lot of the pricing seems to be driven by what you can get your hands on TODAY. The "TODAY!" premium seems quite high.

Along those lines, I sold, thru the LGS, a Glock .45 GAP. The key was including a few boxes of ammo.