PDA

View Full Version : Ammo for .22 semiauto

TurtleMan77
01-19-2021, 08:38 PM
Hello. I preordered some Winchester S22LRT M-22 Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Black Plated Lead Round Nose Ammo earlier today. I didn’t pay enough attention at the time and realized later that the ammo is designed for the AR platform. All I’ve ever used before was Remington Thunderbolt. Anyway, can this ammo be used in a semiauto pistol? I just want to do some plinking with my son.

Thanks,
Dave

Duelist
01-19-2021, 09:00 PM
Hello. I preordered some Winchester S22LRT M-22 Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Black Plated Lead Round Nose Ammo earlier today. I didn’t pay enough attention at the time and realized later that the ammo is designed for the AR platform. All I’ve ever used before was Remington Thunderbolt. Anyway, can this ammo be used in a semiauto pistol? I just want to do some plinking with my son.

Thanks,
Dave

There’s no reason for it not to work in your pistol, and every chance that it will be fine.

These days, or in times like these, getting what is available rather than holding out for what is optimal is often what you have to do if you want to be able to shoot.

LittleLebowski
01-19-2021, 09:14 PM
You’re fine, take your son shooting, and welcome to the forum.

AzShooter
01-19-2021, 09:47 PM
It's just like CCI AR Tactical. The shape is designed for better feeding in a semi auto. It will work much better in your pistol so, if you got a good price keep buying it and have fun.

Caballoflaco
01-19-2021, 09:58 PM
These days, or in times like these, getting what is available rather than holding out for what is optimal is often what you have to do if you want to be able to shoot.

I have never recently been happier than I should have been to find a handful of linty .22 rounds at the bottom of the bowl where I toss loose change before doing laundry. Nope, wasn’t me.

Also, welcome to the forum Turtleman, I do like turtles.

Whirlwind06
01-20-2021, 05:21 AM
Welcome to the forum! If you don't mind sharing where you pre-ordered the .22 ammo, I would like to check it out.

TurtleMan77
01-20-2021, 08:05 AM
Thank you for the replies and the kind welcome.

I preordered from Atlantic Tactical (anticipated delivery January 30). This is the only .22 ammo I’ve seen for sale locally or online. They are also taking preorders for 9mm for, in my opinion, a good price (I.e., Winchester, 100 rounds for $40). Delivery for 9 mm is in April. Not ideal, but the same ammo costs $80 locally - if you can find it. So, I preordered 600 rounds, which is enough for my purposes and keeps the wife from losing it on me. Also, they are not limiting the number of boxes you can preorder.

Dave

JAH 3rd
01-20-2021, 08:12 AM
To ease your mind, I would compare velocity of the 40 grain ammo you ordered, to other 40 grain ammunition. Unless it's some kind of hyper-velocity, I suspect your 40 grain will be similar to others. Just go to either manufacturer's websites or an ammo seller and read the specs of 40 grain brands. As others have said, you will be ok. Others can chime in, but ammo prohibitions I recall deals with hyper-sonic rounds in specific firearm platforms.