PDA

View Full Version : Class Review: FPF Training - Concealed Carry for Self Defense - June 23/24 2012

Dropkick
07-03-2012, 03:23 PM
For whatever reasons, I had been dragging my feet about taking FPF Training’s Concealed Carry for Self Defense (CCSD) class despite numerous positive recommendations that I received from several people. Then I had the pleasure to meet John Murphy of FPF Training. After talking with him, he extended a personal invitation to come and take the class. So, shortly thereafter I put words into action, and drove down to Culpeper, VA for the weekend.

Before I got there on Saturday morning, I had read over the course description and the pre-materials that John had emailed out, so thought I had a pretty good idea what was in store for the weekend. I was wrong, there is so much more to the class than that. The material that John presents on self defense is honest, relevant, and is focused in the context of concealed carry. The shooting portions of the class reflect and reinforce what was covered about self defense. John has done a great job in how to integrate the two topics together to provide meaningful instruction. I really liked John’s teaching style, he presents great information and then helps guide you through your own learning process. I found that extremely effective because it made me really think about the things that were being presented, instead of just being handed an answer.

All of this makes it abundantly clear that John is passionate about what he does. He’ll challenge you to constantly try to improve, but is also there to help you if you’re struggling. I was really impressed with a technique he used to show a few students proper trigger pull. It would be unfair if I didn’t mention John’s assistant instructors. They both reflected John’s outlook and willingness to help everyone. I was very impressed with everything. So when it comes down to it, I am really grateful that I attended CCSD. Two thumbs up!

Tom Givens
07-03-2012, 03:35 PM
I have had the pleasure of working with John a couple of times, and I'll be back on his range later this month. I second everything Dropkick said. John is a skilled shooter, but more importantly a committed and talented trainer.

TCinVA
07-09-2012, 07:48 AM
Mr. Murphy puts on a pretty good course. I wouldn't hesitate to send someone who was looking for a starter course on concealed carry his way.

JV_
07-09-2012, 08:01 AM
I've taken a number of classes from John, at least 5 or 6, back when he was using the Quantico ranges. He always gave me a lot of things to think about/consider, and I was always challenged.

He's a good guy and I send a lot of folks to FPF for training.

Ed L
07-10-2012, 06:43 PM
John's a good guy. I remember being in a class with him some time ago at Crucible.