PDA

View Full Version : DA 22 Revolver to help with P30 Training DA/SA

BaiHu
07-03-2012, 11:53 AM
Forgive me if this has been posted and just send me a link and shut this down, Mods.

I'm looking for a revolver that has a good DA pull similar to the P30. Given that plenty of folks shoot the P30 here, I figured someone must've found the 'right one'.

I've read the S&W thread about the 317 and maybe that's the way to go, but I just didn't want to hijack that thread from Kenpo.

TCinVA
07-03-2012, 01:29 PM
No double action revolver I've ever tried replicates the P30's trigger feel. It's not really necessary, though...it's learning the approach that's the important bit. Shooting a revolver well requires you to really learn what a rolling break is. The .22 DA revolver is good for developing that kinesthetic understanding of what a rolling break actually is. I've always found shooting my little 317 revolver to be a frustrating experience due to the poor sights and the fact that the revolver itself weighs so little that the torque being applied to the trigger moves the little bastard around like a cricket on a hot plate...but that frustration has paid enormous dividends in my ability to hit a target on demand in "slow-fire" (meaning shooting at a pace I'm comfortable with) accuracy with just about anything I pick up from a model 10 revolver to a Glock 17 or my P30.

So the general advice I would give is to not worry too much about the specific DA revolver you get...just get one if you want to cheaply work on the rolling break skills that will help you shoot the LEM well. I went with the 317 solely because a model 18 I snagged for a lot less money from an auction had a problem with the barrel that made it shoot feet to the left at a few yards. I would have preferred to keep the model 18 but it wouldn't shoot straight so I unloaded it (for a profit, actually) to somebody who didn't care how it shot. If you want something that's the pistol-skill equivalent to running with a heavy pack on or that can double as a lightweight carry gun of last resort, the 317 in snub configuration is a good choice. If you want something that's more versatile, go with something that has better sights.

If I had it to do over, I would have not been such an impulsive dullard and would have scoured gunbroker to find a .22LR S&W Kit Gun with at least a 3" barrel and adjustable sights. Something like that is my idea of a "perfect" .22 revolver, as it would be useful for training, useful as a field gun for small game/snakes/whatever, and still plenty of fun as a plinker.

GJM
07-03-2012, 02:17 PM
I have a 317 with a 3.5 inch +/- barrel, with adjustable sights, and it is my favorite trainer for the reasons that TC mentions above. By comparison, my 617 is too easy to shoot. If I wanted a .22 to go hunting, it would be the 617, but as a trainer I prefer the 317.

CCT125US
07-03-2012, 03:17 PM
IMO, the best way to work on the DA / SA with the P30, is to work on it with the P30. What I found to be very helpful is to use a constant on laser. I happen to have a TLR2. But any cheapo would also work and it would save on the cost of another gun and all the stuff that goes along with it. While working the DA pull, pay attention to what the laser does downrange. The laser does not lie. If it moves, so will your point of impact. Simple as that, no other gun or gear needed. Start at close range like 7yd and see what it does on the 3x5, if the movement is acceptable, push it back. What does your DA pull look like on the 3x5 at 25yds? Same thing as your grouping I bet. How about your SA pull? Keep in mind the laser does not need to co witness with your sights, you are looking for the relative movement of the laser. May not be the answer you were looking for, but this helped me greatly.

BaiHu
07-03-2012, 03:54 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I do have a laser and I practice solely on my P30 anyway, so I'll start with the laser and then move to the revolver if I feel like I need to spend more money :p

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Up1911Fan
07-04-2012, 11:18 AM
I plan on picking up an LCR22 shortly as a trainer to go along with my LCR .38spcl.

ToddG
07-04-2012, 11:33 AM
joshs has been using a Ruger SR22 (http://www.ruger.com/products/sr22Pistol/models.html) as his P30 "trainer" to pretty good effect.

wrt81
08-21-2012, 04:21 PM
joshs has been using a Ruger SR22 (http://www.ruger.com/products/sr22Pistol/models.html) as his P30 "trainer" to pretty good effect.

Is that with a DA/SA P30 or a LEM? I have LEM and have though of picking up an SR22 just for a plinker. I suppose I could decock after each shot to work with the DA pull as well.

Sheep Have Wool
08-21-2012, 04:26 PM
Is that with a DA/SA P30 or a LEM? I have LEM and have though of picking up an SR22 just for a plinker. I suppose I could decock after each shot to work with the DA pull as well.

I assume with a DA/SA, since that's what the SR22 is. I'd be interested in getting some additional feedback on this.

ToddG
08-21-2012, 04:53 PM
Josh shoots an LEM. He'd be able to give you more info.