PDA

View Full Version : Well, that's a little creepy.

Tamara
07-03-2012, 11:51 AM
Phone rang last night. It was Gunsmith Bob calling to tell me about yesterday's excitement at my former workplace (http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2012/jul/02/man-shoots-self-in-face-at-coal-creek-armory/)...

And I was, like, "The rental 629? I'm pretty sure I'm the one who took that gun in on trade and put it in the rental case, 'cause we didn't have a .44 in there at the time."

Also, the rumor is he did it on lane 2, which has a big patch of different-colored carpet from where a customer did herself in with a rented Taurus 85 under the previous owners of the building. The reason for the different-colored carpet is pretty common knowledge amongst the staff and customers, so I'm kinda curious to know if he specifically requested that lane...

Tamara
07-03-2012, 12:40 PM
In the absence of Pinkerton, perhaps it's time for a new carpet?

I was unclear: There is new carpet in lane two. It's about ten years newer than the rest of the carpet in there. I guess the new square will be twenty years newer. :o

Zhurdan
07-03-2012, 12:44 PM
I hate to say it, but they ought to install a special bay just for this kind of stuff. Sick, I know, but at least these people who are obviously going to "check out" are only hurting themselves and not taking a car full of innocents with them.

Tamara
07-03-2012, 12:54 PM
Seriously, though, a rental gun? That's just tacky.

Why not take the Amex and spring for that nice Ed Brown in the case? It's not like you're planning on being there when the bill shows up in the mail anyway...

DocGKR
07-03-2012, 01:01 PM
The idiot who pulled the trigger probably should have studied anatomy and physiology better, as the face is a stupid place to shoot yourself if you are trying to end your own life...

BLR
07-03-2012, 01:23 PM
The idiot who pulled the trigger probably should have studied anatomy and physiology better, as the face is a stupid place to shoot yourself if you are trying to end your own life...

Not to mention the amazing failure rate for firearms used for suicide. He likely wasnt meaning to shoot himself in the face, but moved the gun subconsciously.

cutter
07-03-2012, 03:24 PM
Not to mention the amazing failure rate for firearms used for suicide. He likely wasnt meaning to shoot himself in the face, but moved the gun subconsciously.

Back in the day, we had a teenager who had the pick of the gun cabinet, picked a 22 revolver to put under his chin and shoot himself. The bullet missed everything major and exited over the left eyebrow.

Another guy did the same thing with a small caliber automatic. The bullet hit the roof of his mouth and stopped. He got religion after spitting the bullet out and didn't try again.

We had another guy we bagged up with a gunshot wound to the chest and another to the head. The local PD had his roommate locked up and was giving him the third degree. Lucky for him we had a good medical examiner and lab. They determined that the deceased shot himself in the chest. Missed everything major. Changed hands and finished the job with a shot to the head.

NEPAKevin
07-03-2012, 03:25 PM
When I was a kid, I remember overhearing my parents talking about a lady they knew who killer herself with a gun who first laid out newspapers which they believed was because she always kept a clean house.

Tamara
07-03-2012, 03:43 PM
Dude I knew online who worked at an indoor range in California once related the tale of a guy who came in and rented a Super Redhawk in .454 Casull. Asked for the most powerful ammo they had for it. When he saw the sticker on the Cor-Bon rhino-rollers, he balked at the tariff and got a box of .45 Colt instead, then walked out on the range and suck-started it.

"The funny thing is," mused my correspondent, "we don't clear people's tickets out until after they come off the range."

Every time something like this happens, you hear "Why do you rent guns to depressed people?" And the answer to that is that the person who comes in to do the deed doesn't come off as depressed. They usually seem pretty cheerful, apparently.

Shokr21
07-03-2012, 03:43 PM
When I was a kid, I remember overhearing my parents talking about a lady they knew who killer herself with a gun who first laid out newspapers which they believed was because she always kept a clean house.

That's at least the decent thing to do.

A buddy of mine growing up discovered his dad missing the back half of his head after suck starting a 12 gauge. From what I was told there was grey matter and gore on two walls and the ceiling.

Why can't people just put some painting plastic down and at least make cleanup easy for everyone else?

BLR
07-03-2012, 04:41 PM
Every time something like this happens, you hear "Why do you rent guns to depressed people?" And the answer to that is that the person who comes in to do the deed doesn't come off as depressed. They usually seem pretty cheerful, apparently.

Kind of a social commentary, right there. It's interesting to watch the questions being asked afterward by the dimmer stars in the sky...

Zhurdan
07-03-2012, 04:41 PM
It's not really creepy or funny or decent or anything but serious when you've been affected by the stupidity of others.

Good friend in highschool was killed by some jackarse with a death wish in his car. The dude rammed him head on at 60+ when he could have just sucked on a shotgun or swallow a handful of pills.

Room mate in college shot himself with my pistol. (took my car keys and lock box keys and got my pistol) Then proceeded to go over to his ex-girlfriends house and shoot himself in the heart and stumble half way across the street before dying in front of her.

My cousin walked in front of a train in front of his girlfriend and three other friends as they walked near the tracks. Two of which have now killed themselves because of what they'd witnessed.

His and my uncle hung himself in a garage. His family, including his daughter found him. She's about a screwed up as can get.

To this day, I still think about what more I could have done to prevent my room mate from killing himself... and that's been over 15 years ago. If people want to kill themselves, fine. It's just the fact that all too often when they do, they affect far more people than the selfish little circle they think they're in.

No egg is being thrown here, as no one knows me from Adam. It's just kind of a sore subject for me. I value life like no other but for those that don't, piss on them if they do it in a way that affects others.

_JD_
07-03-2012, 04:53 PM
Wifey worked in gun sales in PA, sold a gun to a guy who at least had the decency to take it out to his car and do the deed...better than in the range I suppose.

jstyer
07-03-2012, 05:03 PM
It's just kind of a sore subject for me. I value life like no other but for those that don't, piss on them if they do it in a way that affects others.

Truth.

agent-smith
07-03-2012, 05:04 PM
It's not really creepy or funny or decent or anything but serious when you've been affected by the stupidity of others.

Good friend in highschool was killed by some jackarse with a death wish in his car. The dude rammed him head on at 60+ when he could have just sucked on a shotgun or swallow a handful of pills.

Room mate in college shot himself with my pistol. (took my car keys and lock box keys and got my pistol) Then proceeded to go over to his ex-girlfriends house and shoot himself in the heart and stumble half way across the street before dying in front of her.

My cousin walked in front of a train in front of his girlfriend and three other friends as they walked near the tracks. Two of which have now killed themselves because of what they'd witnessed.

His and my uncle hung himself in a garage. His family, including his daughter found him. She's about a screwed up as can get.

To this day, I still think about what more I could have done to prevent my room mate from killing himself... and that's been over 15 years ago. If people want to kill themselves, fine. It's just the fact that all too often when they do, they affect far more people than the selfish little circle they think they're in.

No egg is being thrown here, as no one knows me from Adam. It's just kind of a sore subject for me. I value life like no other but for those that don't, piss on them if they do it in a way that affects others.

Sorry for your losses.

May The Force be with you. Always.

Coyotesfan97
07-03-2012, 05:06 PM
There's been three suicides I can remember at the local indoor range I used to frequent a lot back in the day when our range master would only give you 50 rounds at a time (100 rounds a month). I'm sure there's been more. I haven't been back much but that's because we aren't limited on range ammo now.

Centerfire long arms to the head are very fatal, nasty and messy. The last one I went to was a 12 gauge under the chin. I've seen any number of folks try with pistols or 22 rifles and fail.

I've heard the reason why they appear happy and cheerful is they've made the decision and all their problems are gone to them. It sucks they involve other people and someone's livelihood in their decision to check out.

Byron
07-03-2012, 05:11 PM
It's amazingly common to hear people say things like, "I can't believe Bob committed suicide. He was depressed for a while, but lately he seemed much happier, like he was getting over it."

There are at least two aspects to this phenomenon:
1. The person is happier because they've made the mental decision, are content with it, but have not yet carried out the act.
2. The person is legitimately coming out of a depressive episode, is finally regaining the energy to carry through on things, and sees this as the chance to finally go through with the act.

This second factor is one of the reasons why anti-depressants can paradoxically boost suicide risk in some patients. A patient suffering from debilitating depression might not even have the energy to get out of bed some days, much less plan out and commit suicide. A boost in mood, energy, or similar factors may just give the patient enough 'oomph' to say, "I never want to feel that way again. I'm ending this now while I still have the energy/commitment."

Obviously that's an oversimplified way of putting it, but that is just to say; I can see why they would not seem depressed when coming up to the rental counter.

jslaker
07-03-2012, 05:39 PM
A couple of years ago, we had two suicides in the span of a month at the local indoor range:

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/2009/04/21/693234/suicide-at-shooters-firing-range.html

What struck me as odd is they both popped off a few rounds down range before shooting themselves.

MD7305
07-03-2012, 05:49 PM
I hate working suicide calls. It seems people that care about the victim are the ones that always find them. I can't imagine the pain the family feels. On another note chemical suicides are becoming common lately with folks sealing themselves in their vehicles and mixing dangerous chemicals to result in death. These can be very dangerous to first responders so all you EMTs, firefighters and LEOs be cautious checking on unresponsive people in sealed, confined spaces like a vehicle.

BTW, Coal Creek Armory always gave me the creeps, now I understand why.

DocGKR
07-03-2012, 05:51 PM
Good. I want them to practice so they don't miss...

Mr_White
07-03-2012, 09:13 PM
This thread is the reason that the range I work at will not rent a gun to a (party/person) who does not already possess an apparently working firearm. Same issue for any possible robberies.

This way, if they wanted to commit suicide or rob us, they would have already been able to do it without our handing them an instrument.

The downside are new shooters, especially people on vacation from other countries, who want to try shooting but cannot satisfy the requirement and don't know anyone to borrow a gun from or come with them. Those people are SOL.

On the whole, I like the policy overall.

TGS
07-03-2012, 10:00 PM
This thread is the reason that the range I work at will not rent a gun to a (party/person) who does not already possess an apparently working firearm. Same issue for any possible robberies.

This way, if they wanted to commit suicide or rob us, they would have already been able to do it without our handing them an instrument.

The downside are new shooters, especially people on vacation from other countries, who want to try shooting but cannot satisfy the requirement and don't know anyone to borrow a gun from or come with them. Those people are SOL.

On the whole, I like the policy overall.

My indoor range has a similar policy......except you can rent a gun without already having one if you're in a party of two.

So, it's okay to rent a gun without having one, but there has to be two of you. I still can't figure that one out. Ideas?

Mr_White
07-03-2012, 10:09 PM
My indoor range has a similar policy......except you can rent a gun without already having one if you're in a party of two.

So, it's okay to rent a gun without having one, but there has to be two of you. I still can't figure that one out. Ideas?

There is another indoor range where I live that has that exact policy. I understand it to be for the same reason as our more stringent policy, in the line of thinking that a suicidal person won't directly involve their buddy in their final act by bringing them to witness/be present for it. That seems a little generous to me, as they are already involving other people by doing it a public range regardless of a buddy present or not. I think they are focusing on a perceived difference between involving people you don't know vs. people you do know. Isn't it said that suicide is often a selfish act?

TGS
07-04-2012, 12:42 AM
Isn't it said that suicide is often a selfish act?

I'm so glad I just stopped myself from making an inappropriate joke.

What can I say, I'm the kind of guy that wants a t-shirt which reads "Do the Village!". My current "Nuke the Whales!" t-shirt gets enough conversations started but doesn't seem to be offensive enough.

NEPAKevin
07-04-2012, 06:29 AM
A patient suffering from debilitating depression might not even have the energy to get out of bed some days, much less plan out and commit suicide. A boost in mood, energy, or similar factors may just give the patient enough 'oomph' to say, "I never want to feel that way again. I'm ending this now while I still have the energy/commitment."

That's good information. While I do not believe in suicide, except in the case of sacrificing oneself for a greater good, I do have a growing DSAF "bucket list" of deserving individuals that I would want to take with me should I ever be diagnosed with some terminal condition.

98z28
07-04-2012, 08:47 AM
A couple of years ago, we had two suicides in the span of a month at the local indoor range:

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/2009/04/21/693234/suicide-at-shooters-firing-range.html

What struck me as odd is they both popped off a few rounds down range before shooting themselves.

In the dozen or so suicides I have worked, that is a common theme. There was often a round or two in the wall or ceiling in the same room with the body. Seems they want to test fire the gun to make sure it works and see how it feels before completing the act.

Tamara
07-04-2012, 09:11 AM

That's one of three policies you'll see that aim to prevent it:

Shooters must be in pairs to rent, if they don't have a gun, or
Shooters must already have a gun to rent one, or
First-time shooters may not rent a gun (IE, they have to have visited with one of their own already.)

Of course, it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to see the loopholes in all three (for instance, the first one is made to ensure you mostly get Romeo & Juliet reenacting their tragic denouement on Lane 5) and, like all gun control policies, they do as much or more to discomfit and hamper good people than they do to prevent bad things.

Wes Peart
07-04-2012, 08:50 PM
That's pretty inconsiderate of him, could have at least gassed himself in the garage and saved a lot of people the mess. Would sending a bill to his estate for new carpet be insensitive? :rolleyes: Years back an indoor range here got shut down from the fallout of a suicide. I swear a lot of them pick the messiest way on purpose.