PDA

View Full Version : Taurus 689, 6”, SS

Rmiked
01-06-2021, 12:32 PM
I was in LGS today and saw a Taurus 689 with 6” barrel and stainless steel. It looked like the SW 686 except the Taurus had a vent rib atop the barrel. It was in mint condition. I understand they were manufactured fro 1988-1998. Can anyone comment on the quality compared to the SW? The store wanted $375 for the pistol. Looked very impressive.

Stephanie B
01-06-2021, 08:26 PM
With Taurus, it can be “you pays your money and you takes your chances.”

There was a period when their rep wasn’t terrible. A shooting buddy of mine has a couple 1990s Taurii. He uses them for newbie instruction. I seem to recall hearing of gunsmiths who won’t work on them.

It’s a gamble. You might get a decent shooter or a fishing-net weight.

Lex Luthier
01-06-2021, 09:02 PM
Sample of one, but my brother had a 1986-or-so Model 66, the one that looks very much like the Smith & Wesson of the same designation.
It routinely went out of time while sitting in the safe. Caveat Emptor.

Rmiked
01-06-2021, 09:44 PM
Well, doesn’t sound like a great chance to take. I watched a Utube review comparing to a SW 686. The SW locked up tighter, shot better and the steel stayed easy to clean. Not sure what was going on with powder residue sticking to cylinder but guy couldn’t get it cleaned. They sure look nice though. I’ll pass on it. Thanks for info

lee n. field
01-07-2021, 07:42 PM
Sample of one, but my brother had a 1986-or-so Model 66, the one that looks very much like the Smith & Wesson of the same designation.
It routinely went out of time while sitting in the safe. Caveat Emptor.

I had an '88 vintage Model 66 for a while. The internals of that gun were quite different from later Taurus-es and I think the design was changed around that time. Mine was an "OK, I guess" gun that developed a problem that wouldn't stay fixed after a decade or so, and it was rehomed.