PDA

View Full Version : Alien

JCN
01-05-2021, 08:39 PM
Amazing trigger.... so flat and fast of an impulse. Definitely worth two EDC X9s. It’s really special.

https://youtu.be/uhXKRGBRHRo

bac1023
01-05-2021, 10:43 PM
Awesome

Mine should be shipping this week

JCN
01-06-2021, 09:51 AM
Looking at magazines and fitting holsters:

I think if I Dremel relocate the mag release notch, CZ Shadow magazines might work. Which might be easier than trying to work up a mag extension.

The gun is similar in dimension but wider than a Shadow and just barely fits in the RHT Shadow holster. The aggressive serrations on the Alien are going to be tough on a holster though. I think it’ll probably work in a Double Alpha trigger guard holster but I don’t want to chew up the trigger guard just yet.

The dot window is similar but smaller than an SRO. I’ve heard it might be a rebadged C-MORE.

foxj66
01-06-2021, 10:41 AM
Looking at magazines and fitting holsters:

I think if I Dremel relocate the mag release notch, CZ Shadow magazines might work. Which might be easier than trying to work up a mag extension.

The gun is similar in dimension but wider than a Shadow and just barely fits in the RHT Shadow holster. The aggressive serrations on the Alien are going to be tough on a holster though. I think it’ll probably work in a Double Alpha trigger guard holster but I don’t want to chew up the trigger guard just yet.

The dot window is similar but smaller than an SRO. I’ve heard it might be a rebadged C-MORE.

Those mags look wider than a standard shadow 2. Odds are a basepad from one of the modern guns will be the same I would try a P320, M&P and P10 base to see if one fits.

TicTacticalTimmy
01-06-2021, 12:22 PM
Given that the gun is from CZ, if it doesnt use CZ75 mag pattern it most likely uses the P09/P10 mag pattern.

I am seriously jealous btw!

JCN
01-06-2021, 12:26 PM
Those mags look wider than a standard shadow 2. Odds are a basepad from one of the modern guns will be the same I would try a P320, M&P and P10 base to see if one fits.

When I held them up against each other, they are very similar dimensionally with the top cut and while the shadow is more rounded than square of the Alien, they are very similar overall.

When I put a shadow mag in the Alien it doesn’t rattle at all. A TSO magazine doesn’t fit.

I think it just needs the catch.

The squareness of the Alien mag would require a very specific baseplate. I don’t own any of the guns you suggested or the basepads, but I do have a ton of Shadow mags and extensions.

If it just takes a small notch to make my 23 round Shadow CO setup work in the Alien, I’ll take that over trying to find other basepads that still would need follower modifications to get the capacity.

YVK
01-06-2021, 12:28 PM
I really hope this gets an approval for some division.

JCN
01-06-2021, 12:52 PM
I think it would be a monster in Production. The trigger really is like a single action.

I don’t know that I care to get a “retro” slide dot if that’s required in CO because height over bore.

If the gun can handle 9 major, I might consider it goofing off in Open.

But for me it’s just a novelty and fun gun at this point. I might run it in IDPA-ish Outlaw matches where there’s a 15 round capacity.

It really feels like a GT3 in terms of performance, fit and finish (and price).

bac1023
01-06-2021, 01:32 PM
Given that the gun is from CZ, if it doesnt use CZ75 mag pattern it most likely uses the P09/P10 mag pattern.

I am seriously jealous btw!

It’s not from CZ, though it’s from the same country.

TicTacticalTimmy
01-06-2021, 01:42 PM
It’s not from CZ, though it’s from the same country.

I guess that post was unclear, I meant "CZ" as in the international country code for Czechia.

TicTacticalTimmy
01-06-2021, 01:42 PM
Double post please delete

JCN
01-06-2021, 01:47 PM

The Alien mag body is 21mm wide at the rear
The Shadow 2 is 20mm wide

Trigger weight is 3.75# and might come down with break in.
Very short and crisp.

JCN
01-06-2021, 03:22 PM
Bah. I did some more test fitting and the upper part square flare is necessary to engage the magazine catch. So no dice with the narrower upper of the Shadow magazine.

Clusterfrack
01-06-2021, 03:35 PM
Thanks for being the beta tester here, JCN. That is an expensive gun. I’m definitely not an early adopter, and am typically very cautious about new designs because they almost always disappoint. However, I’m excited about the Alien. It’s the first really novel pistol design I’ve seen in a while that has promise. I hope it succeeds, and more models are introduced. A carry version would be very interesting.

bac1023
01-06-2021, 03:42 PM
Thanks for being the beta tester here, JCN. That is an expensive gun. I’m definitely not an early adopter, and am typically very cautious about new designs because they almost always disappoint. However, I’m excited about the Alien. It’s the first really novel pistol design I’ve seen in a while that has promise. I hope it succeeds, and more models are introduced. A carry version would be very interesting.

The gun has been put for over two years.

Clusterfrack
01-06-2021, 03:44 PM
The gun has been out for over two years.

Yes, I do know that. But for a "conservative" gun buyer like me, that's a new design. (I didn't mean 'beta tester' in the strict sense).

bac1023
01-06-2021, 03:49 PM
Yes, I do know that. But for a "conservative" gun buyer like me, that's a new design. (I didn't mean 'beta tester' in the strict sense).

Hopefully the standard pistol without the extras eventually makes it into the country. Should be slightly less money.

JCN
01-06-2021, 04:31 PM

I am surprised there isn’t more information available out there regarding it and modifications.

But I suspect I might be in the minority of how I use these things. It’s the same with our GT3s.

They aren’t garage queens and are used for sport.

Right now the Alien doesn’t really have a US competition purpose, but it is a heck of a sweet shooter. I think height over bore for CO might be a little issue and so is dot window size. Right now 17 round magazines kill it for me.

But who knows what magazine restrictions might happen with the current political landscape.