PDA

View Full Version : H&R 999

03RN
01-05-2021, 06:56 PM
When my grandfather died my dad got it. I was 12ish and I roamed the woods with it untill my folks split and I went to IL with my mom.

My dad and I are no longer on speaking terms so I cant ask for it but looking at gunbroker the prices seem reasonable unlike s&w 22s.

I loved shooting it but was not very good with it but cant blame the gun. That being said, are they decent? Iirc its not quite K frame size right? I still have 2 hks speed loaders which is what got me thinking.

SCCY Marshal
01-05-2021, 07:16 PM
a buddy would call them an entertainment value. H&R made good guns and one is absolutely worth buying. The lack of refinement and budget nature are a part of the fun. Those quirks help you set your serious streak aside and just let the inner child have a good time. Bumming the woods with one will be every bit the adventure it was before and your kids will get to do it soon enough.

FNFAN
01-05-2021, 07:22 PM
When my grandfather died my dad got it. I was 12ish and I roamed the woods with it untill my folks split and I went to IL with my mom.

My dad and I are no longer on speaking terms so I cant ask for it but looking at gunbroker the prices seem reasonable unlike s&w 22s.

I loved shooting it but was not very good with it but cant blame the gun. That being said, are they decent? Iirc its not quite K frame size right? I still have 2 hks speed loaders which is what got me thinking.

Ha! First handgun I ever shot. Shaved lead and spit powder like a demon. Loved it!

gato naranja
01-05-2021, 07:33 PM
They were a neat and affordable woodswalking revolver as well as a decent utility .22. I used to borrow a well-taken-care-of one frequently, and it was a blast to plink with... good times.

Lester Polfus
01-05-2021, 07:53 PM
Ha! First handgun I ever shot. Shaved lead and spit powder like a demon. Loved it!

Also the first handgun I shot. It also spit lead and powder, and shooting sessions were often interrupted by the need to find the rear sight on the ground.

When my dad graduated engineering school after working his ass off in the oil fields in the summers to pay for it he bought a H&R 999, a Yamaha acoustic guitar and a Harley Sportster, after not being able to afford much more than beans and rice for four years. I think some times he had to choose between the beans and the rice.

It was the only firearm in our home for a long time.

They are known to go out of time.

They are still cool. I supposed I'll own his someday, but I'm not looking forward to it.

CCT125US
01-05-2021, 08:31 PM
Passed down from my aunt. The double action is manageable, and the single action is terrific. The adjustable sights are pretty slick, especially the front elevation screw.

Right target was 7yd single action, SHO with Russia's finest....

7yd freestyle, 45 rds IIRC, and Russia's attempt at forming yak dung into a bullet like object.

And the break action is just old school cool.

ECVMatt
01-05-2021, 08:39 PM
I have drooled over the 999 since I was a boy. I have no knowledge to contribute other than to encourage you to get one so you can report back to us how great it is and then I can justify buying one as well!

SCCY Marshal
01-05-2021, 09:42 PM
...Right target was 7yd single action, SHO with Russia's finest....

7yd freestyle, 45 rds IIRC, and Russia's attempt at forming yak dung into a bullet like object.

Show the back of the box. Or is the usage intent on the side? And how many cases spit gas in your face?

Duelist
01-06-2021, 02:00 AM
The only handgun in my house for years when I was a child was my dad’s H&R 650. First gun I ever fired. I bought ny Ruger Single Six because of that gun.

03RN
01-06-2021, 07:38 AM
a buddy would call them an entertainment value. H&R made good guns and one is absolutely worth buying. The lack of refinement and budget nature are a part of the fun. Those quirks help you set your serious streak aside and just let the inner child have a good time. Bumming the woods with one will be every bit the adventure it was before and your kids will get to do it soon enough.

Thats the plan. I have a single six but I have also found a need for a rimfire trainer

mtnbkr
01-06-2021, 08:15 AM
A buddy has a 999. It's accurate enough, but the DA trigger is tough. SA is shootable and the gun feels well made and durable overall. I wouldn't turn one down for the right price.

Chris

Jim Watson
01-06-2021, 09:07 AM
I would consider a 199 SAO as a plinker.
I once looked at a 777 Ultra Sportsman but it was getting bid up high for a plinker.

gato naranja
01-06-2021, 09:25 AM
The double action is manageable, and the single action is terrific.

That is how I remember most of them. Even the cheaper H&Rs could have decent SA pulls.

(I used more of the "budget" H&Rs than I did the flagship top-breaks.)

There were probably at least four or five H&R .22 revolvers in use for every S&W or Colt in my neck of the woods, and until they wore loose or a spring broke they were loads of fun to pot at beer cans and shotgun hulls. Unfortunately, some of us young lads were not as careful with them as we should have been... a case of "familiarity breeding contempt" or some such thing.

Lex Luthier
01-06-2021, 09:32 AM
My son in law has his grand dad's 999. I'll have to put a few cylinders through it sometime soon.

Adam
01-06-2021, 04:43 PM
I too grew up shooting a 999. My dad guesses its round count somewhere around 100k and it wasn't without a broken part or a few, which in those days were always repaired by a gunsmith who "Can't find the part, have to make one..." and get it back a year later. It's just a bit slow on timing now, I'd like to get it back up to 100% functionality. Ugly, goofy, super cool.

medmo
01-07-2021, 05:17 PM
Definitely worth it. My dad had one that I got to shoot as a kid and I loved it. I picked one up in good shape for my kids as a plinker. It’s not a S&W for sure but it’s a hoot. It was made in the early 1950’s. The top break eject of 9 spent shells is a joy for kids of all ages. It still is on duty as a snake/toad gun and my son and I use it for playing range HORSE occasionally. Only problem is spitting which seems to be from a build up on forcing cone area. It gets nasty after a brick or so but doesn’t take long at all to clean it up.

medmo
01-08-2021, 01:52 PM
I came across it at a LGS quite a few years ago and it was an immediate “need to have.” It came with what looks like a factory wood box lined with pleather and felt with a compartment for tools. Behind the felt, hand written in pencil on tbe wood is a woman or girl’s name, (unless it’s a boy named Sue),Los Angeles, Dad and a 1950’s date. It’s a keeper.