PDA

View Full Version : The second round of CMP 1911 sales is beginning

CleverNickname
01-03-2021, 02:43 PM
If you missed the first round of CMP 1911 sales that started in 2018 (like I did), you can now submit an order form for the second round of sales. The order forms have to be postmarked between January 4 and March 4, 2021.

https://thecmp.org/sales-and-service/1911-information/

Borderland
01-03-2021, 03:17 PM
I have mine already. I was on the fence when they called because it was about 16 months from application to offer. I purchased and thought if it doesn't please me I can sell it. My dealer said if I didn't want it he would buy it and cover my cost. After I looked at it I decided to keep it. He was disappointed. The one I received was a service grade with a fresh repark and taken out of service at that time. Colt slide and RR frame. Slide to frame fit was very good, actually better than my Gold Cup Trophy. I've never shot it but may in the future. If you want one with the carried-in-combat look ask for a field grade.

I know, I'll be banned from future sales if the CMP finds out I sold it, but that's a rule I can live with. The CMP is a great org and worthy of our support.

Suvorov
01-03-2021, 03:29 PM
Thanks!

I have always wanted to get a GI 1911 and kicked myself bloody after seeing my the BEAUTIFUL example my buddy got from the CMP.

olstyn
01-03-2021, 03:38 PM
Every time this topic comes up, I think it sounds cool and then balk at the pricing, especially given that there's no way to inspect before you buy. The idea of spending $850-1050 plus shipping & FFL fee and potentially getting a gun in nasty shape which may or may not even run is pretty offputting for me. I'm sure most of the guns are fine, but it's still playing the lottery to some degree.

Suvorov
01-03-2021, 03:44 PM
Every time this topic comes up, I think it sounds cool and then balk at the pricing, especially given that there's no way to inspect before you buy. The idea of spending $850-1050 plus shipping & FFL fee and potentially getting a gun in nasty shape which may or may not even run is pretty offputting for me. I'm sure most of the guns are fine, but it's still playing the lottery to some degree.

True, but where else are you going to get a military 1911 for under 1K?

I’ve been pretty close to pulling the trigger on AutoOrdinance “GI” 1911s before just for the “look”.

olstyn
01-03-2021, 04:08 PM

Probably nowhere.

It's just hard for me to justify, since it's filed under "that would be neat to have" rather than "need" in my brain. Then there's the fact that if I had one, I'd want to actually use it, which would mean buying a holster, mag pouches, etc., and getting set up to load .45 (I've never owned a 1911 or any gun in .45, so I have none of those things)...and deciding whether to commit sacrilege by replacing the GI sights with something more usable.

Borderland
01-03-2021, 05:13 PM

I’ve been pretty close to pulling the trigger on AutoOrdinance “GI” 1911s before just for the “look”.

About the only ones I know of are maybe an Argentine Colt which the military and police used from the 30's to the 60's. Those have increased in price substantially lately so they may not be the <1K 1911 they once were, IDK.

Borderland
01-03-2021, 05:28 PM
Probably nowhere.

It's just hard for me to justify, since it's filed under "that would be neat to have" rather than "need" in my brain. Then there's the fact that if I had one, I'd want to actually use it, which would mean buying a holster, mag pouches, etc., and getting set up to load .45 (I've never owned a 1911 or any gun in .45, so I have none of those things)...and deciding whether to commit sacrilege by replacing the GI sights with something more usable.

They aren't shooters. No lowered ejection port and the sights suck. It's also been reported that the slides weren't hardened so prone to cracking with a lot of use.

I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with mine. A relative is working on a history PhD (now there's another way to spend your money foolishly) and wants to shoot it. His main interests revolve around WW2 and he's shot my carbine already. Should be fun for at least one day at the range and maybe worth credit in anything he publishes. I'll be immortalized.;) I've already told him I'm not buying a Garand but he knows another relative that has one.

Cory
01-03-2021, 05:49 PM
I really want one. It would be great to set next to my USGI M17. Eventually I want a Garand as well.

I really can't justify the cost though. Especially when I don't have a 1301 that I think would be a more essential gun for social work.

Sammy1
01-03-2021, 06:12 PM
I was issued a Remington Rand 1911 in the Army when I became a MG, (we had shiny new Berettas in the armory but they were never issued out). I had to shake the dirt out of it from being on the M60 range prior to pistol qual. I didn't have any issues with it, qualified no problem and no malfunctions. I would really like a Remington Rand 1911.

Duelist
01-03-2021, 06:25 PM
I want one. I don’t know how badly, but I do want one. And I may decide to make it happen this time around, but there will have to be holes in my safe to fund it.

That makes me less excited about it.

Borderland
01-03-2021, 07:00 PM
I want one. I don’t know how badly, but I do want one. And I may decide to make it happen this time around, but there will have to be holes in my safe to fund it.

That makes me less excited about it.

They make new safes everyday I'm told. ;)

Ivantheterrible
01-03-2021, 07:20 PM
I got one on the last go around and very pleased with what I got. An Ithaca frame, Remington slide, and Colt barrel.

Don't worry about condition. The CMP guarantees that the pistol will be in the grade they classify it in. Over the years, I have bought 3 M1s and one 1911 from CMP and never dissappointed.

Duelist
01-03-2021, 07:33 PM
They make new safes everyday I'm told. ;)

Funding is the problem, not room.

Suvorov
01-03-2021, 09:39 PM
Funding is the problem, not room.

I believe that Trump will be sending you a check soon that should cover it.

As for sights and the desire to modify the gun - I already have a 1911 that I could chase that rabbit down the hole with, I’m wanting a crude sighted 80% pistol that I can throw in my Tanker Holster, shoot hardball with, and wonder if it was once carried by a Sherman commander facing down a Panther.

Tango
01-04-2021, 05:50 PM
These warhorses are just that, warhorses. They were used over decades. Buy one, make it your own and use it everyday. Sitting behind glass isn't for these sidearms!!! If I were to buy one, I would have it looked over, put on modern sights and get it done in a color I like. Then in the holster and off to work it would go.

Pistol Pete 10
01-04-2021, 07:48 PM
I finally got mine, my number was 15,512 so a lot of people must have backed out. The gun has been reparked, I've shot it and it's a good pistol. Mainly a keepsake but will shoot it a little.

Cory
01-04-2021, 07:51 PM
These warhorses are just that, warhorses. They were used over decades. Buy one, make it your own and use it everyday. Sitting behind glass isn't for these sidearms!!! If I were to buy one, I would have it looked over, put on modern sights and get it done in a color I like. Then in the holster and off to work it would go.

Old warhorses go to pasture. Old guns go to display.

If I get one I'll shoot it very sparingly. Otherwise it'll probably be on display. I have Berettas for carry and a Dan Wesson 1911 to goof with if I feel the need. The history is the value for me.

DDTSGM
01-04-2021, 08:29 PM

I'd think it would make more sense to buy a similarly equipped (sights and color) modern 1911 and go from there. You'd probably be out less overall:

Service Grade $1050. Pistol may exhibit minor pitting and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips are complete with no cracks. Pistol is in issuable condition. Pistols may contain commercial parts.

Field Grade $950. Pistol may exhibit minor rust, pitting, and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips are complete with no cracks. Pistol is in issuable condition. Pistols may contain commercial parts.

Rack Grade $850. Pistol will exhibit rust, pitting, and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips may be incomplete and exhibit cracks. Pistol requires minor work to return to issuable condition but is functional. Pistols may contain commercial parts.

Granted, these are out of stock, but here you go on pricing:

$1079.00 - Colt - Wiley Clapp TALO special - https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/92061

$799.00 - Springfield Range Officer - https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/92061

If I was buying one it would be to shoot once or twice, then store/display. (Sending a packet in for one.)

I have a 1903 (CMP rifle) and Garand (private sale), as well as another Garand I built during a CMP armorer course (sold as a CMP Special). I've shot all three to sight in, and in the case of the 1903 to see how it did at 600 - hit paper is about all it would do. Other than the CMP Special, which I shoot semi-regularly, I doubt that I'll shoot either the other Garand or the 1903 again.

farscott
01-04-2021, 08:54 PM
I have been torn on the CMP 1911 and finally decided to pass. Unlike a CMP M1 Garand where the only real source of reasonably priced rifles came from the DCM/CMP, there are lots of 1911 pistols out there. I have many in my safes, from a Colt reproduction of a WWI Colt to full-house customs. So I already have a gambit of shooters. As such, the only reasons for me to buy a CMP 1911 would be for my collection or to have a connection to the GIs who used these pistols. For me, the WW1 repro fits both the collection and connection. So I decided to leave the CMP 1911 for someone who really wants one.

MattyD380
01-04-2021, 10:06 PM
I kinda want one. Then I think I could get a new Colt government which has the same aesthetic but is... more “functionally relevant”?

But it’s still not the same. I never applied on the last round. Might do it this time. I guess I can always pass if I’m not in the market at the time.

revchuck38
01-04-2021, 10:09 PM
I have no desire for a CMP 1911...I shot them as a young Staff Sergeant and they were okay, no more. I do, however, have a hankering for an 03A3. I might have to look into this.

Tango
01-04-2021, 10:13 PM
Old warhorses go to pasture. Old guns go to display.

If I get one I'll shoot it very sparingly. Otherwise it'll probably be on display. I have Berettas for carry and a Dan Wesson 1911 to goof with if I feel the need. The history is the value for me.

Rock on!!!

I am fortunate/unfortunate enough to have my passed away Grandfather's Remington Rand. Came home from WWII with him. That specific gun, is well taken care of and no changes will be made.

It is funny how we all view the same things differently. When my Grandfather passed, my Dad took ownership of the gun. He ran that gun as one would any other tool. We were at a shooting event, in the pouring rain and mud. There it was with him. Guys milling about were getting antsy as here was a WWII Remington Rand being shot hard, in extremely wet/muddy conditions. He just shot it like someone who was shooting a few year old Glock would. Yes, it was cleaned afterwards but no different than the 1911 I was carrying. The only reason it became a backup gun was due to the sights and my Dad's eyes aging. Hence the introduction of a Ruger 1911 for primary activity.

There would be, "better" ways to get a duty 1911 than going the CMP route. The CMP route though is the only one that gets you a legit US Military 1911, with all that history attached to it, and the ability to be able to continue that service story through your own carrying of it on the job, as a civilian, etc.

JonInWA
01-06-2021, 08:40 AM
If you want a somewhat verifiable, somewhat genuine piece of history, the CMP route is a good route to go, and the 1911s don't seem to be unreasonably priced for what they are. Of course, in most cases, you're probably getting an accumulation of several guns' history, as these guns in most cases seem to be a cornocopia of mixmaster components (both vintage and newer) due to unit and arsenal rebuilds. They're authentic, but not necessarily what you might want in a 1911 with a provinenance.

For a 1911A1 to be carried and shot, I strongly recommend a more current Colt Series 70 Reproduction, with it's far superior steels, more thorough-hardening, and better (i.e., actually usable...) sights. For an exemplar of an earlier 1911, the Colt 1911 WW 1 Repros would be a good way to go. For actual shooting, these Repros offer a much superior gun in my opinion.

Best, Jon

claymore504
01-06-2021, 09:17 AM
I am going to get in on this round for sure. A buddy in my unit got his and I checked it out a couple weeks ago. Very nice for sure!

Duelist
01-06-2021, 10:39 AM
If I get one, it will be entirely, 100% due to nostalgia. One of my grandfathers was a young WWII infantry officer in Europe who crossed the beach at Normandy a couple of days after D-Day carrying a 1911. He was in the Battle of the Bulge. He was wounded in action twice, and got a Bronze Star for taking out a tank after being wounded the first time.

If I get one, it is to hang up and remember the old man, who was once a tough young man.

He’d probably just shake his head at me for getting it, though.

DDTSGM
01-06-2021, 12:44 PM
I have no desire for a CMP 1911...I shot them as a young Staff Sergeant and they were okay, no more. I do, however, have a hankering for an 03A3. I might have to look into this.

CMP is kind of a quaint operation when it comes to sales, behind in technology, which makes the process maddeningly cumbersome, but the upside is all the folks I met were great. Think Chick-fil-a, except slow and selling rifles.

Pretty sure the only way you are going to get an '03 anything is to visit the store, or through the mail, they don't accept online or phone orders. Plus, the don't offer the '03's online as they do Garands.

I bought my 03A1 Scant Stock at the CMP South store, in Anniston, AL. The have a store at the Talladega shooting park, my understanding from my trip there was that the Talladega store was for in person sales only. The CMP North store is at Camp Perry. Here's a link:

https://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/cmp-stores/

Good luck.

DDTSGM
04-06-2021, 05:38 PM
Has anyone else who sent in a packet received their randomly generated number?

I have a couple of questions for those who may have been involved in the first one, or, who have information:

1) How many 1911's were available during the last go round?

2) Do the randomly generated numbers start at 0000001 and go up from there?

3) When will the Biden Administration find out about this and try to shut it down? (kinding on that one, I hope)

Thanks!

CleverNickname
04-06-2021, 06:54 PM
Yeah, I got mine this afternoon.

Borderland
04-06-2021, 06:55 PM

I have a couple of questions for those who may have been involved in the first one, or, who have information:

1) How many 1911's were available during the last go round?

2) Do the randomly generated numbers start at 0000001 and go up from there?

3) When will the Biden Administration find out about this and try to shut it down? (kinding on that one, I hope)

Thanks!

I have a 1911 A1 from the 1st lottery. They started the lottery numbers at around 1400 and went to around 18600. That would make 17-18K available in the 1st lottery. The 1st shipment was supposed to be 8K so I think they got several shipments in the first round, maybe 2018 and 2019. Looks like the 2nd round numbers are starting around 22000 but there isn't a lot of info posted on that one yet. They're pretty tight lipped about how many are available. I asked politely in May 2020 when I got mine and all they would say is we have plenty. I think they finally ran out in Dec. 2020. I got this info here. http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110

I've seen some from the 1st lottery sold on GB in the $1700 range.

I think congress and the Sec of the Army has to approve the transfer each year. Obviously they did that last year or CMP wouldn't be having round 2.

It took me 17 months to get mine after I got a lottery number. I wasn't sure I wanted one but sent the application in anyway. It didn't cost anything. I had a standing offer to buy it if I didn't want it so there wasn't any downside. I got a nice RR with a Colt slide so I kept it. Never shot it and probably won't.

bofe954
04-06-2021, 07:37 PM
I got a RGN for the 2nd round too. I started shooting SS in USPSA right when they created the division, used to shoot nationals all the time when it was in Barry. I am a big 1911 fan.

I have a garand and some other WW2 and WW1 stuff so I have always wanted to pick up a USGI 1911.

What turned me off was the thought of paying 3-5K and the potential for getting ripped off.

Really for the price of the service grade I figure it's a bargain. I'd probably buy something nicer and spend more otherwise, and either way it would just be a safe queen, so I'm happy to spend less. Dream scenario for me would be a matching frame and slide, don't care who made it, don't care about the rest of the parts.

DDTSGM
04-06-2021, 09:01 PM
Looks like the 2nd round numbers are starting around 22000 but there isn't a lot of info posted on that one yet.

I think congress and the Sec of the Army has to approve the transfer each year. Obviously they did that last year or CMP wouldn't be having round 2.

It took me 17 months to get mine after I got a lottery number. I wasn't sure I wanted one but sent the application in anyway. It didn't cost anything. I had a standing offer to buy it if I didn't want it so there wasn't any downside. I got a nice RR with a Colt slide so I kept it. Never shot it and probably won't.

Thanks for the info. If they started at 22,000 for the numbers, if they have about 10 available I should get one. I'm sure that given the opportunity I'll buy one, simply to have. Like you, I probably won't shoot it.

Borderland
04-06-2021, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the info. If they started at 22,000 for the numbers, if they have about 10 available I should get one. I'm sure that given the opportunity I'll buy one, simply to have. Like you, I probably won't shoot it.

I think it's a crap shoot on what you get. Someone I know got one with a bar code on it. Whatever it is, you won't loose any money if you decide to sell it. Tip, if you want a 1911 ask for a field grade. If you want an A1 ask for service grade. The field grades have generally not been refinished or re-parkerized. I've seen some really nice ones. The Service grades have generally been A1's and re-parkerized. I wanted an A1 and that's what I got.

Good luck.

CleverNickname
04-06-2021, 10:14 PM
If they started at 22,000 for the numbers, if they have about 10 available I should get one.
They started lower than that. My RGN is 21xxx, and I've seen other people posting elsewhere with 20xxx numbers.

DDTSGM
05-25-2021, 04:07 PM
CMP called me today. The lady was very helpful, I was tempted to ask a bunch of questions just because she was so pleasant.

In a nut shell. the only two grades available wre RACK and FIELD:

Field Grade $950. Pistol may exhibit minor rust, pitting, and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips are complete with no cracks. Pistol is in issuable condition. Pistols may contain commercial parts.

Rack Grade $850. Pistol will exhibit rust, pitting, and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips may be incomplete and exhibit cracks. Pistol requires minor work to return to issuable condition but is functional. Pistols may contain commercial parts.

I took field grade. I doubt this will be shot very much, I have a couple other 1911's.

I know many feel these aren't worth the price, but, I'm willing to pay that price for a piece of Americana.

As an indicator of where they are, my random number was 2200*

Suvorov
05-25-2021, 04:26 PM
CMP called me today. The lady was very helpful, I was tempted to ask a bunch of questions just because she was so pleasant.

I took field grade. I doubt this will be shot very much, I have a couple other 1911's.

I know many feel these aren't worth the price, but, I'm willing to pay that price for a piece of Americana.

As an indicator of where they are, my random number was 2200*

Congratulations. Sadly I got busy with life and missed the boat. While I would have liked to be in on this the fact that their releases options were limited makes me feel a little better……

CleverNickname
05-25-2021, 04:27 PM
I got called on Friday, and my gun shipped out today. Should be able to get it from my FFL tomorrow.

I got the option for all three grades when I got called, and got a service grade. I have to wonder if they just happened to run out of service grades soon after I made my order, or if it's just the luck of the draw as to what's available when they call. i.e., do they open up a crate of 1911's and whatever grades are in that crate is what they have to sell until that crate is completely sold, and then they open another one? Or are they totally out of service grades for round 2? It seems pretty early in round 2 for them to permanently run out of service grades.

Also for what it's worth, my RGN was 217xx, but my order number was 199xx. RGNs are people who express an interest in buying, and orders are people who actually bought, so it appears that about 9% of people submit a packet but when they're actually called they don't end up ordering a 1911 for whatever reason.

CleverNickname
06-01-2021, 02:15 PM
I got called on Friday, and my gun shipped out today. Should be able to get it from my FFL tomorrow.
Well it was delivered to the FFL a week ago but I wasn't able to pick it up until today because the FFL took his sweet time getting into the office. Apparently he's working minimal hours because of COVID or something. Anyways, here's my gun, a service grade Ithaca(?) frame with a Remington Rand slide. It's about what I expected.

I now own a grand total of one semi-automatic centerfire handgun that's not a Glock 9mm. :)

Inkwell 41
06-01-2021, 02:30 PM
Well it was delivered to the FFL a week ago but I wasn't able to pick it up until today because the FFL took his sweet time getting into the office. Apparently he's working minimal hours because of COVID or something. Anyways, here's my gun, a service grade Ithaca(?) frame with a Remington Rand slide. It's about what I expected.

I now own a grand total of one semi-automatic centerfire handgun that's not a Glock 9mm. :)

I wonder what stories it could tell.......

CleverNickname
06-01-2021, 02:36 PM
I wonder what stories it could tell.......
I'm pretty sure Audie Murphy used it to kill Hitler.

Borderland
06-01-2021, 09:23 PM

That's a nice one. Worth more than you paid on the open market. Guaranteed.

CleverNickname
06-05-2021, 03:23 PM
I went and shot my 1911 today and my aim was pretty bad, mostly due to the fact that the gun has tiny iron sights and my eyesight isn't what it was 5 years ago. I seriously could not see the front sight at all the majority of the time, so it was mainly point shooting. Point shooting should've worked better than it did, except the 1911 has a weird grip angle compared to the Glocks I normally shoot, so point shooting didn't quite result with rounds on target where I wanted them. Oh well, it was bought to be a safe queen more than anything else.

DDTSGM
06-09-2021, 09:56 PM
Got mine yesterday, Ithaca slide and frame. Rebuilt by RIA, frame stamped FJA (Ithaca inspector), according to SN built in 1943.

Only mar/mark on it aside from wear on the edges of the slide, was a light gouge where folks had drug the slide stop while installing it. I understand this is common, still, I just don't understand how the average joe couldn't figure out how to do it w/o scratching the frame.

Field striped and cleaned, it wasn't really dirty, installed a new 18lb SpringCo recoil spring, lubed it with EWL, going to shoot tomorrow. Then I'll probably clean it and put it away.

Edited - added info about provenence.

bofe954
06-10-2021, 07:16 AM
except the 1911 has a weird grip angle compared to the Glocks I normally shoot

Heresy!

Borderland
06-10-2021, 08:03 AM
Got mine yesterday, Ithaca slide and frame. Rebuilt by RIA, frame stamped FJA (Ithaca inspector), according to SN built in 1943.

Only mar/mark on it aside from wear on the edges of the slide, was a light gouge where folks had drug the slide stop while installing it. I understand this is common, still, I just don't understand how the average joe couldn't figure out how to do it w/o scratching the frame.

Field striped and cleaned, it wasn't really dirty, installed a new 18lb SpringCo recoil spring, lubed it with EWL, going to shoot tomorrow. Then I'll probably clean it and put it away.

Edited - added info about provenence.

Nice. You're lucky the slide and frame match. I know it may not be the original slide but it's still a plus. I think about 90% of the rebuilds have mismatched slide and frames. Mine's a Colt slide on a RR frame.

TheNewbie
06-10-2021, 09:08 AM
When were the last 1911s taken out of any kind of mainline service?

I’m not talking about special mission units (SF, Delta, Recon, etc), but about regular military, National Guard, etc.

revchuck38
06-10-2021, 09:19 AM

I’m not talking about special mission units (SF, Delta, Recon, etc), but about regular military, National Guard, etc.

I was in Afghanistan in '03-'04 and saw one guy carrying one in a tanker holster. He was probably a reservist in a unit at the far end of the pipeline.

03RN
06-10-2021, 10:05 AM

My brother in law carried a 1911 in 06-07 iirc in Afghanistan. Active duty Marine SS

S Jenks
06-11-2021, 08:05 PM
Received mine today. Field grade, Ithaca frame from 1945 with Colt slide. Mag appears to be new. Obligatory crappy cell phone pics:https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210612/c63d98b45f345f982eabb26bc575f7b5.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210612/88dd6f7f2f1cc61966d1b9544d220d15.jpg