PDA

View Full Version : New Production Class 509?

Brianjkeene
01-01-2021, 02:53 PM
Assuming 5”, lightened slide, better texture, and better trigger. I hope for more but doubt it.

GJM
01-01-2021, 03:09 PM
Looks like it has an optic cut?

Brianjkeene
01-01-2021, 03:14 PM
Looks like it has an optic cut?

Yep. Most of all I’m happy to see FN seem to care a little more about the civilian market. US made Scars, the 503 (meh), and the continued variations of the 509 series is encouraging.

Trukinjp13
01-01-2021, 07:20 PM
Color me intrigued.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nephrology
01-02-2021, 12:26 AM
I don't think I'll ever care about plastic FN pistols. Not for a minute.

TheNewbie
01-02-2021, 07:24 PM

I wish they were a contender, but my feelings at the end of the day are pretty much the same as yours.

In other news, my new Taurus 856 has yet to malfunction. It has also yet to be fired.

GJM
01-02-2021, 07:35 PM

I said the same thing about the M&P plastic pistols, and now I have been shooting 2.0 ones since late summer. I keep an open mind as today’s dog can be tomorrow’s hotness, and vice versa.

Whirlwind06
01-03-2021, 09:41 PM
Even if they are great guns I don’t have the desire or resources to switch platforms anytime soon.

Nephrology
01-03-2021, 10:09 PM
Even if they are great guns I don’t have the desire or resources to switch platforms anytime soon.

Yup, certainly not in the current gun market.

LittleLebowski
01-03-2021, 11:07 PM

Yup.

Wendell
01-04-2021, 03:52 PM
I was very impressed by a FNS Compact, but then there's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wkQ2NOE7Rs

45dotACP
01-04-2021, 07:25 PM

Yeah, if I was going to carry a plastic people popper pistol, there are maybe two companies that I would give a shit about. Neither of them are FN.

At this point, I gotta think that getting into the plastic people popper pistol game is a serious lose lose proposition unless you bring something exceptional to the table. Lots of guns exist that already do whatever it is you might want from a gun. You could pick the generic, garden variety 9mm (Glock anything), you could pick the plastic gun that shoots very softly for it's size (PX4C), you could pick the gun that has an extraordinary trigger (PPQ or P-07 with CGW parts) or has accuracy on par with a well made 1911 (HK VP9), the Plastic gun with a decent thumb safety for you 1911 heretics (M&P or Sig 320) or you could pick the lowest priced gun cut for a red dot (APX or Canik).

With FN never really committing to improve their product lines and always just jumping to something new (FNP-FNX-FNS-FN509) there is basically no reason i'd see to chose their company's handgun over any of the other banzillion plastic people poppers on the market. Especially when almost all of the above mentioned firearms already have a fairly well established track record.

Hell I'd probably pick a Canik over a FN.

GJM
01-04-2021, 08:23 PM
I don’t think it would take much to turn the 509 line into an attractive striker option, and more choices is a good thing. Hopefully FN is listening and will do what it takes.

45dotACP
01-04-2021, 10:28 PM
I don’t think it would take much to turn the 509 line into an attractive striker option, and more choices is a good thing. Hopefully FN is listening and will do what it takes.And that's really the problem though isn't it? It wouldn't have taken much for the FNS to be an attractive striker option...or for the FNX to be an attractive DA/SA option.

But they never did. They never were.

I hope they sort it out, I really do. But it doesn't seem like they're listening much.

Oh well. Tons of fish in the sea.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

GJM
01-04-2021, 10:55 PM
And that's really the problem though isn't it? It wouldn't have taken much for the FNS to be an attractive striker option...or for the FNX to be an attractive DA/SA option.

But they never did. They never were.

I hope they sort it out, I really do. But it doesn't seem like they're listening much.

Oh well. Tons of fish in the sea.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Two thoughts.

I am not sure that it is fair to say that FN isn’t listening, as the 509 has many features that are improvements over the FNS.

The main thing I take away from this, though, is that pistols take a while to develop and even longer to be tested in the real world, where things that the developers never anticipated arise. There is a reason that early adopters tend to catch most of the arrows.

Trukinjp13
01-05-2021, 06:30 AM
Two thoughts.

I am not sure that it is fair to say that FN isn’t listening, as the 509 has many features that are improvements over the FNS.

The main thing I take away from this, though, is that pistols take a while to develop and even longer to be tested in the real world, where things that the developers never anticipated arise. There is a reason that early adopters tend to catch most of the arrows.

I agree with this. And the simple fact is, the fns was flawed in many areas. Why would you band aid it? It would never have been right. The 509 has a lot of the internals from the fns. It’s more a fns 2.0 than anything. I had a fns with a lot of rounds through it. I very much welcome this upgraded pistol.

At the end of the day. I do not know if many pistols that come out are worth dumping a proven platform that you are invested in. HK or Beretta etc. But sometimes you have tried different things and never really found what works best for you. At that point we venture out and sometimes we find something that works very well for us.

Sometimes I do not understand y’all. A company gets hate for never really changing their design. Or a company gets hate for trying to evolve their product and implement changes they were told they have to do. So is it we should never have changes or we should? Pretty sure a lot of people have been crying for Glock to do a pretty serious upgrade in ergos and most think the trigger need to catch up with other brands.

rob_s
01-05-2021, 06:33 AM
I don’t think it would take much to turn the 509 line into an attractive striker option, and more choices is a good thing. Hopefully FN is listening and will do what it takes.

I only really care about what other plastic gun makers do because it’s the only thing that keeps Glock inching forward. ;)

Default.mp3
01-11-2021, 08:56 AM
https://fnamerica.com/products/fn-509-series/fn-509-ls-edge/

Looks like the noticeable changes are:

Long slide
Window in slide
New striker
Flat face trigger
Factory FO front sight
Factory magwell

GJM
01-11-2021, 09:07 AM
https://fnamerica.com/products/fn-509-series/fn-509-ls-edge/

Looks like the noticeable changes are:

Long slide
Window in slide
New striker
Flat face trigger
Factory FO front sight
Factory magwell

They are proud of it — MSRP $1,499.

LittleLebowski
01-11-2021, 09:12 AM

Signature checks out :D

LittleLebowski
01-11-2021, 09:14 AM
I only really care about what other plastic gun makers do because it’s the only thing that keeps Glock inching forward. ;)

Honestly, I think Glock losing the Army contract was the best thing for us as consumers. Glock finally made the 43x and 48.

Trukinjp13
01-11-2021, 10:18 AM
I like it. Keep making tweaks and new models. Invest in your product FN. I would prefer that grip texture make it to all models. Then you only have two types.

Also, this should give us 509 owners a factory flat trigger option to buy.

HCountyGuy
01-11-2021, 10:59 AM
As long as it also improves on the 509 trigger it should be good to go. That’s my only issue with the 509, the stock trigger is absolute garbage.

Default.mp3
01-11-2021, 11:05 AM
They are proud of it — MSRP $1,499.Does potentially make it a very hard sell. Interestingly, I've also heard very vague rumors, but from folks that are certainly in the know, that there will be yet another 509 release later this year that will be even better than this model (though I have no idea what was meant by "better").

nwhpfan
01-11-2021, 11:58 AM
Glock Killer

GJM
01-11-2021, 12:44 PM
Well, their timing could be OK. In the past we would have said to buy a Glock 34 and 5,000 rounds of ammo. Now we would have to say to buy a Glock and 1,000 rounds of ammo, so by that measure the new 509 looks better. :p

JodyH
01-11-2021, 01:37 PM
How long until FN drops the 509 and brings out the 1509 that takes a completely different magazine, internals and holster?
Then completely drops all support for the 509.
Like they've done with every other pistol they've ever released.

That's why nothing FN makes (except Lego AR's) interests me.

Kanye Wyoming
02-07-2021, 05:29 PM
About 2 years ago give or take I traded in a gun I had no use for any longer in exchange for an FN 509 midsize (509M). I liked it. Not as much as the VP9 or VP9SK or Shadow Systems MR918, but I liked it. It felt really good. Typically I didn’t do quite as well with it on drills as with the VP9 or MR918, but pretty close. Even though my best results with the VP9 tended to be a little better than my 509M bests, over time it became apparent that I shot more consistently with the 509M. It concealed IWB with a tucked in shirt very well, much better than its size would suggest, and didn't jab me or poke me anywhere whether sitting or standing. Must have something to do with the shape. There was no ammo you could get it to choke on. With Talon Pros on, the grip texture was just right. Objectively speaking the trigger kinda sucks, particularly compared to the VP9, but for some reason it works well for me.

I then picked up the optics ready model and a few months ago put a Holosun 507C on. Around the same time I also had the VP9 milled and a 507C installed. What I now shoot most often are the 509M with optic and VP9 with the same optic. Damned if I don’t leave every range session thinking WTF, how can this be, this 509M just shoots so flat and effortlessly and consistently, and I feel more confident with it than even the VP9.

I’ve occasionally been tempted to get the Apex trigger that a lot of people rave about, but then each time I shoot it I feel like even if the Apex is “better,” maybe I’m better suited to a mediocre trigger for some reason, or at least this mediocre trigger. Although I do think it has gotten better over time.

Along the way I saw some YouTube videos about how the 509M locks up if immersed in water, and that was concerning. Then again, I don’t own a boat, if I did own a boat it would be in New Jersey or Maryland where I wouldn’t be able to have a gun with me anyway, when I hike it is rarely near water that I am likely to find myself in, and to the extent I ever had any Navy Seal aspirations, the Seals are probably not quite so desperate as to need stout 58-year-olds.

There was also an issue with the strikers having a tendency to break, which was much more concerning. Apex then came along with a heavy duty machined striker, so I got two of those and installed them.

Except for those occasions when carrying something smaller and more invisible is imperative, the 509M has evolved into the gun I have on me every waking hour.

There I said it. Come at me, bitches. :)

Bucky
02-08-2021, 05:32 AM
Is FN still offering the flexible frame feature?

https://youtu.be/mdTsFB1ejo8

Trukinjp13
02-09-2021, 04:28 PM
Is FN still offering the flexible frame feature?

https://youtu.be/mdTsFB1ejo8

[emoji2359] different gun.

Trukinjp13
02-09-2021, 04:29 PM
About 2 years ago give or take I traded in a gun I had no use for any longer in exchange for an FN 509 midsize (509M). I liked it. Not as much as the VP9 or VP9SK or Shadow Systems MR918, but I liked it. It felt really good. Typically I didn’t do quite as well with it on drills as with the VP9 or MR918, but pretty close. Even though my best results with the VP9 tended to be a little better than my 509M bests, over time it became apparent that I shot more consistently with the 509M. It concealed IWB with a tucked in shirt very well, much better than its size would suggest, and didn't jab me or poke me anywhere whether sitting or standing. Must have something to do with the shape. There was no ammo you could get it to choke on. With Talon Pros on, the grip texture was just right. Objectively speaking the trigger kinda sucks, particularly compared to the VP9, but for some reason it works well for me.

I then picked up the optics ready model and a few months ago put a Holosun 507C on. Around the same time I also had the VP9 milled and a 507C installed. What I now shoot most often are the 509M with optic and VP9 with the same optic. Damned if I don’t leave every range session thinking WTF, how can this be, this 509M just shoots so flat and effortlessly and consistently, and I feel more confident with it than even the VP9.

I’ve occasionally been tempted to get the Apex trigger that a lot of people rave about, but then each time I shoot it I feel like even if the Apex is “better,” maybe I’m better suited to a mediocre trigger for some reason, or at least this mediocre trigger. Although I do think it has gotten better over time.

Along the way I saw some YouTube videos about how the 509M locks up if immersed in water, and that was concerning. Then again, I don’t own a boat, if I did own a boat it would be in New Jersey or Maryland where I wouldn’t be able to have a gun with me anyway, when I hike it is rarely near water that I am likely to find myself in, and to the extent I ever had any Navy Seal aspirations, the Seals are probably not quite so desperate as to need stout 58-year-olds.

There was also an issue with the strikers having a tendency to break, which was much more concerning. Apex then came along with a heavy duty machined striker, so I got two of those and installed them.

Except for those occasions when carrying something smaller and more invisible is imperative, the 509M has evolved into the gun I have on me every waking hour.

There I said it. Come at me, bitches. :)

My middy is dang good.

I wonder how the water issue is with the apex extractor since the void is filled?

Kanye Wyoming
02-09-2021, 09:48 PM
My middy is dang good.

I wonder how the water issue is with the apex extractor since the void is filled?
The striker or the extractor?

I saw a video a while ago in which the guy tested it with the Apex striker. If I'm remembering correctly, if you submerge it in water and leave it for 20 seconds or so, then grab it and shake it for a second, it will fire.

Extractor - I know not.

Trukinjp13
02-09-2021, 10:29 PM
The striker or the extractor?

I saw a video a while ago in which the guy tested it with the Apex striker. If I'm remembering correctly, if you submerge it in water and leave it for 20 seconds or so, then grab it and shake it for a second, it will fire.

Extractor - I know not.

Yeah, uhm. I meant striker.....

Brianjkeene
03-09-2022, 12:56 AM
Interestingly, I've also heard very vague rumors, but from folks that are certainly in the know, that there will be yet another 509 release later this year that will be even better than this model (though I have no idea what was meant by "better").

Digging up a super old threat. But, Default - have you heard anymore rumors on this better version of the 509 that was to be released?

Polecat
03-09-2022, 07:34 PM
FN rep used to respond, don’t know if he is still around?

Brianjkeene
03-09-2022, 07:38 PM
FN rep used to respond, don’t know if he is still around?

As I think more about it, it’s probably likely they were talking about the 509 adopted by the LAPD. I would love to see a steel frame 509 with replaceable grips similar to a Q4/5 SF.

Default.mp3
03-09-2022, 08:54 PM
Digging up a super old threat. But, Default - have you heard anymore rumors on this better version of the 509 that was to be released?Can't say I have, I don't really interact with one source any more, and the other is the below mentioned FN handgun rep that's no longer the FN handgun rep.

FN rep used to respond, don’t know if he is still around?@TomV (https://pistol-forum.com/member.php?u=13553) has left FN and now is with Staccato.