PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only guy that doesn't like the Gen5 trigger?

KevH
12-26-2020, 04:35 PM
I've owned two Gen5's...one of the first G19's and a recent G17 MOS (both since traded away).

I've also owned Gen4 guns (also long gone) and always find myself coming back to the Gen3 or Gen2's. They just seem to fill my hand right and have great triggers.

I have finally just come to accept I MUCH PREFER the factory Gen2/Gen3 triggers (Gen4 had the stupid bump on the trigger bar).

I want to give MRD another chance on a Glock. I'm pondering trying to find an old Gen2 or one of the repro-P80's (if I can find one).

Thoughts?

M2CattleCo
12-26-2020, 04:43 PM
I’m with you.

The old Gen2 & 3 triggers before the dogleg trigger bar we’re pretty dang good.

The ones since aren’t the same. Unpredictable and more overtravel.

Lon
12-26-2020, 04:50 PM
I’m with you. Much prefer my G2/3/4 triggers. But my G3 trigger w home polish job is by far my favorite. Then I added a Smooth faced Johnny Glock trigger to the factory trigger bar. Very nice.

Clusterfrack
12-26-2020, 05:02 PM
KevH, same here. I just got my first G5, a 17MOS, and after spending some time with it, I prefer the trigger on every one of my G4s.

GJM
12-26-2020, 05:12 PM
If we are having a candid conversation, if you want a great trigger, you don’t buy a Glock.

I like early Gen triggers better, but I prefer the mag well, ejection/extraction, and accuracy of the Gen 5 pistols. Pick whatever trade off works best for you.

blues
12-26-2020, 05:27 PM
If we are having a candid conversation, if you want a great trigger, you don’t buy a Glock.

I like early Gen triggers better, but I prefer the mag well, ejection/extraction, and accuracy of the Gen 5 pistols. Pick whatever trade off works best for you.

I like all of the ones I've owned from Gen 2 to Gen 5.

Clearly, there's just something wrong with the boy.

HCM
12-26-2020, 05:48 PM

https://youtu.be/-LCsiWL6gn0

blues
12-26-2020, 06:02 PM
I've got to admit to being a fan of Foghorn Leghorn.

That's no joke, I say, that's not a joke son.

M2CattleCo
12-26-2020, 06:05 PM

The ejection of my Gen5s rivals a good 1911.

The Gen4s I had dribbled brass every which direction.

I wouldn’t go back.

Full17
12-26-2020, 07:23 PM
I much prefer
https://www.apextactical.com/apex-gen-5-glock-action-enhancement-kit-1

LockedBreech
12-26-2020, 07:44 PM

I have a Gen 3, 3 Gen 4s, and 2 Gen 5s, and I find them nearly identical, though I like the finish on the 5s and the curvy corners. Trigger wise, they're almost indistinguishable. My favorite is probably my Gen 4 17 but that's just because it is the one with the most rounds, most likely.

Maybe starting the first decade-ish of my shooting career on DA/SA hammer guns just made all striker guns feel pretty dang close.

blues
12-26-2020, 07:46 PM
I think I'm just a cheap date and easy to please.

If it goes bang every time and puts the rounds pretty much where I intended...it's done its part.

noguns
12-26-2020, 08:33 PM
Of all my glocks(3-5) I prefer my gen 3 vickers with a Glock minus connector.
It is very easy for me to run that trigger at speed vs my carry gen 5.

SAWBONES
12-26-2020, 08:57 PM
I’m with you.

The old Gen2 & 3 triggers before the dogleg trigger bar we’re pretty dang good.

The ones since aren’t the same. Unpredictable and more overtravel.

Agree completely.

My circa 1989 Gen Two G19s and Gen Three G26 have excellent, smooth-as-buttered-glass triggers (admittedly
after a little polishing of all the linkage parts).

The Gen Four triggers were definitely the worst of all, but Gen Five triggers are still under par compared to Gens Two & Three.

GJM
12-26-2020, 09:25 PM
The Glock design is just one of those serendipitous things, that happens maybe once in a lifetime. Look at it critically. It looks like crap and has a blocky shape that makes concealment harder. Feels almost as bad as it looks when you hold it, and on top of that, points funny. Has plastic magazines and a plastic frame which takes more width than necessary and sometimes requires the Glock shake to get the mag falling. Pre Gen 5 pistols dribbled brass everywhere, and you quickly learned to wear a long sleeve shirt when shooting it. Accuracy was so so. The front sight wants to twist as you tighten it, accentuating a left shooting tendency. Did I forget to say many to most people shoot them to the left. The Glock requires you to death grip the pistol to make the gun function, as the frame is so light. Lots of shooter elbow issues come from strangling a Glock. The trigger has 4-7 walls, if that is how you want to describe the gravel before the trigger breaks.

Yet with all that, I have been carrying a Glock for decades, and it is the first pistol I would grab if there was trouble. Go figure.

blues
12-26-2020, 09:50 PM
Yet with all that, I have been carrying a Glock for decades, and it is the first pistol I would grab if there was trouble. Go figure.

You're starting to sound like me. That can't be good for either of us. ;)

SecondsCount
12-26-2020, 10:32 PM
I've only been able to shoot an early G19.5 and I really liked it and will have one someday. The trigger reminded me of an HK LEM, only shorter, with a smoother pull than any previous Glocks I have shot.

I hated the G19.4 that I had, like the G19.2 and 3, but not enough to shoot on a regular basis.

YVK
12-26-2020, 10:43 PM
I've no talent, patience, or frustration tolerance to deal with Gen4 or older out of box triggers. I can manage without excessive amount of curse words if Gen4 has a minus connector and 5 lbs striker spring but then it isn't a Gen4 anymore.
Gen5 I am ok out of the box with, 5 lbs spring is desirable but optional.

MGW
12-26-2020, 11:10 PM
Glock triggers are Glock triggers. If I had to pick my favorite Glock triggers have been well used Gen 3’s. For me I don’t really think it makes a difference in actually shooting performance between a Gen 3-5 though.

BehindBlueI's
12-26-2020, 11:20 PM
Gen 5 is the best out of the box trigger in a Glock I've experienced. Never fired a Gen 1. Maybe after eleventy-bajillion dry fires the Gen 2s are as good as some of you seem to recall, I recall it more like stirring a bucket of sand with a broken boat oar.

Yung
12-26-2020, 11:54 PM
Having casually plinked with other people's Gen 2 to 4, owning and occasionally shooting an Apexed M&P9 1.0 and voluntaried 320, and then finally starting serious learning on a P10C and a G45, I can't honestly say I noticed anything significant between any of their triggers. The differences between different double-actions, however, have really stood out to me.

ECVMatt
12-27-2020, 12:35 AM
The older I get, the more I like my guns stock. Recently, I have begun removing most of the doodahs and returning most of the factory parts to my handguns. I'm good with a factory Glock trigger, but have been shooting them for quite a while. I agree with Blue on this one; I want it simple and I want it to go bang. I would be willing to bet that almost everyone on this forum shoots better than me and I am OK with that. I tend to use my handguns for hunting, camping, and hiking and care more about absolute reliability and safety over split times. I have a few Gen 5's and do like those triggers better than my Gen 3's.

I am not knocking anybody for their modifications, just commenting on my regression or perhaps progression from age.

For me, the Gen 5 trigger is an improvement and a gun I can keep almost entirely stock. That is a big win for me.

Navin Johnson
12-27-2020, 01:02 AM
Just curious...... From a combat perspective would a particular generation or generations make a difference in the outcome of a social even?

Would a particular generation change the outcome of a competitive event?

Spartan1980
12-27-2020, 01:16 AM

This right here. You don’t buy a Glock. You buy a 1911 and pay a reputable Smith to work it.

I guess I’m weird, I’ve tried Glock multiple times and sold them all for a myriad of reasons already mentioned. I bought a 17.5 specifically for GSSF matches and it’s the first Glock I can actually tolerate enough to say that I could learn to like them if I had to.

My last one was a 34.4 MOS bought used but pristine off of a tactical Timmy. I took it to the range, fired a mag, didn’t believe it and fired another just to make sure. That thing had a 2.25lb trigger all day long that broke cleaner than my tuned TRP. I took it home and yanked out all of the ZEV Ultimate parts and springs, put them in a bag and sold them online. Then installed all new factory Glock parts. I would have never had any confidence that it was close to being safe with the ZEV stuff in it. That’s not a slap on ZEV as I’ve no idea who installed it and their qualifications. After that it had the absolute shittiest trigger on the planet. High Point has never produced a trigger that shitty. No amount of polishing or disconnector tweaking and swapping without compromising the factory coatings would fix it, so I sold the gun.

The 17.5 feels like nirvana in comparison. The lack of repeatability in Glock and S&W M&P triggers from gun to gun is maddening. H&K doesn’t seem to be a crapshoot so why can’t the ones that are everywhere show some consistency?

Every Gen 5 I’ve shot has had better triggers than any previous Gen Glock that I’ve ever owned or handled. All the rest of the .5 updates are just gravy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drummer
12-27-2020, 01:20 AM
No, I had the same conversation with a coworker this week.

Although I have no data to support it, I feel like I prefer gen 3 or 4 triggers.

In my mind, it comes down to how you handle the trigger.
If you attack it in one constant press, such as a revolver, then you will probably prefer the Gen 5. If you want to prep the trigger to the utmost before firing, then Gen 3 or 4 seems better for staging.

All that said, I haven't noticed enough of a difference on B8s at 25 yards between a 19.4 and 19.5, both stock except sights to say for sure.

willie
12-27-2020, 01:39 AM
As long as the brass doesn't hit me in the face, I don't care which model if it works.

SecondsCount
12-27-2020, 02:01 AM
Gen 5 is the best out of the box trigger in a Glock I've experienced. Never fired a Gen 1. Maybe after eleventy-bajillion dry fires the Gen 2s are as good as some of you seem to recall, I recall it more like stirring a bucket of sand with a broken boat oar.

I don't just recall the Gen 2, I own one. Glock triggers have always sucked but I like the clean lines and how the gun fits the hand so I have held on to it.

JBP55
12-27-2020, 03:25 AM
I prefer the Gen 5 Glocks and their triggers to all previous models. I like them even better after a little work.

Bucky
12-27-2020, 06:28 AM
Surprisingly, I’ve gotten little trigger time on the Gen 5s, assuming of course the 43 and 48 don’t count. Speaking of which, my 43 and 48 triggers were so sharp and uncomfortable, I couldn’t sand them enough to make it right. They both sport Apex triggers now.

The 43 has the Apex trigger component only, everything else as it came from the factory. It made the pull feel so much better, even though it’s clocking in 1/2 pound heavier.

I don’t think it’s so bad to have a reasonable amount of trigger cleanup by someone competent. No one bats an eye at someone getting an LTT Beretta or a 1911 from a reputable smith, both are essentially guns with trigger jobs. I guess the problem with Glocks is basically everyone can work on a Glock, but not everyone should work on a Glock.

blues
12-27-2020, 08:57 AM
The only thing that ever really bugged me about Glocks early on was the blocky feel in the hand. But I got so used to it, that when the smaller grip came standard on later models, it felt unnatural and I had to install one of the backstraps so it would feel right again. Otherwise it felt, to use a technical term, "squirmy".

I've never been bothered by the triggers as received, various mandated NY triggers etc.

I guess I can thank my parents for not spoiling me and being content with what I had. ;)

YVK
12-27-2020, 09:18 AM
Just curious...... From a combat perspective would a particular generation or generations make a difference in the outcome of a social even?

Don't know anything about combat and social events.

Competition: some professional Glock tuners commented that earlier generations lend themselves better to trigger modifications and improvements, so maybe in a highly modified realm earlier generations have advantages.
In addition, confidence is a big part of competitive performance so if someone feels that they have a better trigger, that may change how aggressive they are etc.

Lost River
12-27-2020, 09:34 AM
I really don't get too worked up about any of them.

The Gen 3s is where I have stopped buying (at the moment) as my current needs are met.

A 17.2 with a Brownells optics cut slide, 19.3s, 34.3 (the 34 is my favorite iron sighted model) and a couple of 3rd Gen .45 ACPs all meet my needs. If I need more accuracy than the stock barrel can provide, a custom barrel makes sense. The Gen 5 primary draw for me is the reported accuracy, but I don't see picking one up any time soon, unless a really great deal is come across.

The 17.2 I have seems to be Goldilocks in terms of a proper trigger for street professional/street work. It is probably is the 4# range, which is fine. That gun has a lot of good things going on with it.

https://i.imgur.com/rfELkck.jpg

Not super fancy, it just works.

Casual Friday
12-27-2020, 09:36 AM
I've owned gen 2 and gen 3 Glocks in the past and I think the gen 5 triggers, and the gen 5 guns in general absolutely dunk on all the previous generations, and it's not really even close in my opinion.

The mag well, the increase in accuracy of the Marksman barrels, the lack of finger grooves, actual useable grip texture, smooth-ish triggers with a clean break and reset, and positive ejection are all real improvements that Glock made. Put forward serrations on all the models and remove the half moon cutout on the front of the grip and that takes the gen 5 from 95% to 99.9% perfection.

M2CattleCo
12-27-2020, 09:45 AM
^ I fell in love with the smooth, clean Gen5 trigger in ‘17.

I’ve owned a few of them and they don’t stay that way. They get gritty and unpredictable after a couple cases of ammo.

Lost River
12-27-2020, 09:50 AM

This is only from my perspective.

When you show up some place, you go get issued your gear, including weapons. In the case of pistols, it really does not matter much what it is to a degree. You sign for your stuff. You go run a qual (sometimes) and go to work. What you are given really has very little to do with anything, and they have very little to do with the big picture. You are the guy who affects the outcome. The hardware (as long as it runs right) does not, and it is just a tool. Just stick the thing in your belt and go.

https://i.imgur.com/UU60N7C.jpg

You could get issued a Bongo truck or a Suburban. How you use your tools will determine success or failure

WobblyPossum
12-27-2020, 10:04 AM

I’ve owned a few of them and they don’t stay that way. They get gritty and unpredictable after a couple cases of ammo.

I’ve owned two different G19.5 guns. I sold one with about 6k rounds through it earlier this year to fund a G26.5. The trigger was still as smooth as it came from the factory. I still own the other one and it has about 3.5k through it. The trigger is even better than it was when I first got it. No grit to speak of. How many cases of ammo are we talking?

blues
12-27-2020, 10:12 AM
This is only from my perspective.

When you show up some place, you go get issued your gear, including weapons. In the case of pistols, it really does not matter much what it is to a degree. You sign for your stuff. You go run a qual (sometimes) and go to work. What you are given really has very little to do with anything, and they have very little to do with the big picture. You are the guy who affects the outcome. The hardware (as long as it runs right) does not, and it is just a tool. Just stick the thing in your belt and go.

You could get issued a Bongo truck or a Suburban. How you use your tools will determine success or failure

This has always been my point of view and why I never get involved in these debates.

I was issued a couple of firearms in the early 80's at my first post of duty...and continued to receive and make due with issued gear for the next twenty something years, regardless of assignment or locale. Had no input into the selection process, but for what I personally purchased and was allowed to qualify with...until that option was removed sometime in the mid to late 90's.

My job was simply to be competent with anything assigned to me, and to keep it maintained. I never had a problem doing that, despite liking some firearms more than others.

And so it goes.

pew_pew
12-27-2020, 11:04 AM

I’ve noticed that too. They get worse rather than better for some reason.

I’ve got them going pretty decent with minus connectors, 5lb striker springs, and reduced power plunger springs but it’s a weird thing.

spinmove_
12-27-2020, 11:54 AM
As many have already said, figuring out which Glock trigger is best is like figuring out which Dem is best fit to be president. There’s really not any great choices.

That said, I’ve got a Gen 2 G17, have shot a few Gen 3 17s/19s, have a couple Gen 4 19s, and have a Gen 5 17. My favorite is my G17.5. But I also make the same exact modifications to their triggers regardless of their generation. Minus connector, gen 3 smooth trigger bar (unless it’s a Gen5), and very light polishing on contact surfaces. That’s it.

My Gen 4s are probably the worst as they’re generally heavier and grittier despite having 10s of thousands of dry presses through them as well as thousands of rounds downrange. My Gen 2 is better. Smooth take up then a distinct break, very workable. My Gen 5 is hands down the best. Smooth all the way through and the break is just a nice rolling crescendo that’s super predictable.

At the end of the day I still much prefer to shoot my 92G with a D spring.

ECVMatt
12-27-2020, 12:17 PM
I’ve noticed that too. They get worse rather than better for some reason.

I’ve got them going pretty decent with minus connectors, 5lb striker springs, and reduced power plunger springs but it’s a weird thing.

I have only read about this on PF. However, this seems to be a place where people actually shoot and use their guns hard so I wouldn't be surprised if an issue popped up here first.

So far my Gen 5's have not changed, but I have lower round counts than I normally would because of the continued ammo shortage.

The local PD that services my school switched from 1911's to Glock Gen 5 17's and 45's. I work with a couple of guys regularly that are also on the SWAT Team. They shoot quite a bit as they still have access to ammo. I asked them about the Glock trigger getting mushy last time they were by and they have not seen this in any of the the guns used by team members. This was the first they had heard about this, so they were going to ask around for me.

I will catch up with them again after the new years and hopefully will have some additional information. Initially they were not very happy with the switch, but now they are extremely happy with their Glocks. They switched because it was becoming more difficult to service their 1911's and there was more options for holsters and support gear.

I am really liking my Gen 5's so far and I am hopeful that doesn't change as I get more rounds through them.

pew_pew
12-27-2020, 12:32 PM
I wouldn’t say my Gen 5s got mushy, but more like a lot of drag and grit. I had one 19 that developed a 3 stage trigger. The firing pin block was causing a hiccup in the take up.

Maybe they need to be kept real clean? I don’t clean a lot. Just add lube unless it looks really bad. I’ve also put in the Lone Wolf channel liners. They are a lot smoother than the Glock channel liners and I think that helps a little. I haven’t polished the spring cups but I imagine that’s another good area to hit.

I don’t mind it. Glock triggers are fine even when they are bad ones. It’s more just that I like to tinker and see what changes can be made and what effects they have.

I may try a Gen 5 Johnny Glock trigger in one of the guns just for fun. My theory is that since the Gen 5s seem to have much tighter tolerances, the parts stack up and create more drag. I imagine with some type of aftermarket trigger that’s polished real well, you’ll eliminate any of these negative tendencies that seem to creep in to the gen 5s as they get more rounds.

Savage Hands
12-27-2020, 12:42 PM
I've owned two Gen5's...one of the first G19's and a recent G17 MOS (both since traded away).

I've also owned Gen4 guns (also long gone) and always find myself coming back to the Gen3 or Gen2's. They just seem to fill my hand right and have great triggers.

I have finally just come to accept I MUCH PREFER the factory Gen2/Gen3 triggers (Gen4 had the stupid bump on the trigger bar).

I want to give MRD another chance on a Glock. I'm pondering trying to find an old Gen2 or one of the repro-P80's (if I can find one).

Thoughts?

Next time LMK, I’ll trade you my Gen 4’s for a Gen 5 all day long...

JHC
12-27-2020, 12:43 PM
No, I had the same conversation with a coworker this week.

Although I have no data to support it, I feel like I prefer gen 3 or 4 triggers.

In my mind, it comes down to how you handle the trigger.
If you attack it in one constant press, such as a revolver, then you will probably prefer the Gen 5. If you want to prep the trigger to the utmost before firing, then Gen 3 or 4 seems better for staging.

All that said, I haven't noticed enough of a difference on B8s at 25 yards between a 19.4 and 19.5, both stock except sights to say for sure.

It seems I’ve shot more pretty B8s with a Gen 3 or 4 minus/KKM combo than others but I haven’t made a science out of it. I really like my current G45 and 19X triggers and run like a DA press they have been great for getting good hits under time pressure vs pure slowfire.

But those anecdotal hunches aside I think they’re all similar enough I might find more differences between individual specimens across Gens than a general rule about a Gen. One son has a Gen 4 G19 with the heaviest roughest minus trigger of any Glock I’ve tried and the other has a Gen 4 G19 with perhaps the very best I’ve ever felt.
The bad one got a special inspect and upgrade on a trip to Smyrna and the tech on that one reported he tried multiple swap outs of everything relevant without discernible changes. He acknowledged that was a rough one alright.

Overall I have grown pretty fond of the triggers in general. I like 1911 triggers and good wheelie triggers but in striker guns I like the Glocks just fine.

Doc_Glock
12-27-2020, 01:38 PM
The only thing that ever really bugged me about Glocks early on was the blocky feel in the hand. But I got so used to it, that when the smaller grip came standard on later models, it felt unnatural and I had to install one of the backstraps so it would feel right again. Otherwise it felt, to use a technical term, "squirmy".

Blockiness is a feature not a bug.

And I shoot Gen 5 triggers best due to their general squishiness.

M2CattleCo
12-27-2020, 01:58 PM
Yep.

The flat sides makes the Glock index and track better than more ‘ergonomic’ grip shapes.

If the triggers stayed smooth and mushy they’d be great. I like smooth mush/creep. Gritty mush not so much.

The same as most here, I leave ‘em stock and don’t go chasing a better trigger. As long as it works and the safety stuff works, I carry it.

HCountyGuy
12-27-2020, 02:12 PM
Can’t say that I’ve noticed much difference in the few Glocks I’ve messed with as far as generational triggers. A Gen 5 with a Lone Wolf 3.5 connector is pretty nice though. I’m leaning towards getting an Apex Action Enhancement Kit though, because I got to try one and it’s pretty nice. Smooth break, short reset and nearly no overtravel.

Actsda
12-27-2020, 03:16 PM

Thoughts?

No, your not. Been shooting Glocks since 94'. My original gen 2 guns are still the best shooting/triggers on any Glock's I've handled. They have crisp walls that are predictable. Have a couple of gen3 guns that have good triggers and a couple that do not (creepy and mushy). The gen 4 is the worst in inconsistency across individual guns from what I've seen. Have a G22 gen4 that I have tried all kinds of combinations of stock parts to no avail and have settled on it's very creepy long pull as being a mini-DAO type pull. I can still get very good accuracy in slow fire with it but not my preferred type of trigger. It feels pretty much like the gen 5's that I've handled. It comes down to what you like/prefer in triggers. If a long, slow, rolling break is your thing than the gen 5's are great. I have tried to come around to gen 5's, because I like Glocks, but every time I feel the trigger its a no go for me. They do appear to be the most consistent triggers, gun to gun, of any of the generations. Also, I have heard that the gen 5 triggers actually get grittier instead of smoother once they have a couple thousand rounds through them.

blues
12-27-2020, 03:31 PM
Different sized frames but my Gen4 G17 is a better shooter than my Gen2 G19...and may be the most accurate of any Glock I have fired to date. (Shooting them since 1987 or 1988.)

I think there are too many variables to make a definitive statement for the entire line of any particular generation. In my case, it's probably how the gun fits my hand, the added barrel length, its weight and how it recoils.

That said, I like 'em all and have no intention of getting rid of any of the generations, especially since the Gen 2 and 2.5 were what I carried in the service of Uncle and have sentimental value on top of their continuing capability as worthy firearms.

RJ
12-27-2020, 07:32 PM
No love for Gen 1’s? :)

(Photo taken at National Firearms Museum, Buffalo Bill Center of The West, Cody WY)

On topic:

I’ve shot my early Production G19.5 about 6,500+ rounds. Some of that was with an Overwatch trigger and trigger bar. I have upgraded to the latest TMH, but currently have the original parts back in. Same trigger, connector, same striker block, etc. I don’t have any noticeable grind or drag, but I’ve taken it apart and put it back together many times looking for binding in the action. Part of the attraction of a Glock for me is even a fumble-fingered guy like me can work on them with a punch and roll of duct tape.

I’ve had two slimline Glocks, both triggers were fine. I just bought a G34.5 and the trigger was also fine, really.

I guess I accept the feel of a Glock trigger since I like the fact it’s partly tensioned, and you have to move it 1/2” to release; as opposed to my VP9 which IIRC had 1/4” of travel.

I do like all the other Gen 5 stuff, as was said earlier, too.

Hot Sauce
12-27-2020, 08:32 PM
IME internals' tolerances play as big if not bigger part in the equation as part design/generation.

From the samples I had:

Gen 2 with a total heavy crap trigger and a wall you needed a sledgehammer to break through.
Multiple examples of smooth rolling break Gen 4s (with Gen 3 trigger bars).
One Gen 4 that refused to improve with $5 worth of patience in 25c trigger jobs. Only cured it with an SSVI Tyr trigger on a--strangely--Gen 4 trigger bar. :confused:

I stayed with only hand polishing. All stock dot connectors, all stock springs, because I never wanted a lighter or shorter trigger, just a smoother one with a rolling break.

Recently ordered some Apex plungers, but my guess is they may work better in one combo and not in another.

I've considered NP3ing the part combos I've found to already work to my liking, for the extra butter.

TLDR: Lesson learned was to treat each Glock as it's own animal, swap and (responsibly) polish the different examples of the same stock parts until achieving a combo that gives you the reasonable (Glock like, not 1911 like) characteristics you're looking for.

GJM
12-27-2020, 08:39 PM
Differences in Glock triggers are definitely felt in dry fire, but I am not sure how much difference they make in live fire. Gripping hard equalizes many triggers.

If trigger was so important, Glocks wouldn’t do as well as they do in competition.

EVP
12-27-2020, 09:35 PM
My g45 started off decent and had a nice rolling type break type quality to it. Then it started getting gritty and developed hitches. I don’t really notice it unless I am doing a slow trigger press. My striker lug plating is flaking we’re it contacts the back of the cruciform.

I think the problem with the gen 5 triggers seems to be multi faceted for different people.

I guess the rub with Glock is that they don’t care to do anything about it. They sell everyone they make and more. Most of the trigger issues could probably be easily corrected with a better process or coating but who are we? They don’t need to do anything and they will still sell. Make minor changes to a product and they sell like hot cakes, change the color and sell 100k+ of them.

It would be awesome if Glock used higher quality components and coatings but at the end of the day how much of it really matters?

LOKNLOD
12-27-2020, 11:39 PM
It would be awesome if Glock used higher quality components and coatings but at the end of the day how much of it really matters?

For the enthusiast who shoots enough to make problems show up, replacing a $20 part (that really costs less) is not that big a deal, but raising the price a few dollars (or taking a few dollars less profit to keep the price the same) makes a dent across the other million guns you sell.

Bucky
12-28-2020, 05:40 AM
No love for Gen 1’s? :)

Probably the best variation of the G19, given it’s a shortened G17 grip. The Gen 2 and 3 are awkward to me. The Gen 4 without back-strap works better for me.

BehindBlueI's
12-28-2020, 08:51 AM
I think it's a bit funny how many people saying they preferred the older triggers are simultaneously talking about the changes they made to the older triggers.

SAWBONES
12-28-2020, 10:32 AM
I think it's a bit funny how many people saying they preferred the older triggers are simultaneously talking about the changes they made to the older triggers.

Not necessarily "changes" per se, just the same trigger-linkage polishing that many us do with each and every Glock they've owned, regardless of generation.

Without using anything but OEM parts on any Glock I've owned (which includes 11 guns in all generations but the first), the Gen 2 and 3 guns' triggers smoothed up fine; the Gen 4 & 5 guns' triggers not as much.

JHC
12-28-2020, 10:32 AM

Yep, that's accurate in my case. With Gen 3s and 4s I always used an OEM minus connector to get the trigger in the 5 lb range as I measure them. With my Gen 5s I've left the dot connectors undisturbed and measured with my scale, they're about there too.

M2CattleCo
12-28-2020, 10:44 AM
Probably the best variation of the G19, given it’s a shortened G17 grip. The Gen 2 and 3 are awkward to me. The Gen 4 without back-strap works better for me.

Grip chop a 19X or 45 and that’s what you’ll have.

blues
12-28-2020, 10:51 AM
I've never personally changed any trigger...Gen 2, 2.5, 4 or 5. Agency armorer made mandated changes (NY triggers) on gov't and personal guns if we qualified and carried them.

I believe they were replaced to the current standard triggers when I sent those guns in to Glock / Smyrna for upgrade of internals and repairs in the last couple of years.

Never would have bothered on my own.

ST911
12-28-2020, 11:01 AM
I don't remember if anyone posted it earlier in the thread, but I'll note... Current gen5 trigger is like the old-school NY1/(-) combination some have done for years. The old style black NY leaf was better for that than the current OD NY1 with the integrated coil.

I much prefer the gen5 trigger to the earlier.

Archer1440
12-29-2020, 10:15 AM
Not a Glockfan here... or much of a Glock expert either, but earlier this year I got to dry-press a G43X belonging to one Larry Mudgett, who IS a Glockfan, and whose Glock was entirely stock, and I found it to be the finest stock Glock trigger I’ve ever pressed. Almost as good as my VP9’s.

A clear improvement over previous examples I have handled.

M2CattleCo
12-29-2020, 10:44 AM
The triggers in my 43s and 48s are a lot different than the ones in my Gen5 17s.

The triggers in the small frame guns are a lot smoother with a heavier, crisper break.

I don’t generally prefer crisp in handgun trigger, but the Gen5 17s are unpredictable enough that I can slow fire the little ones better. Like sometimes it pulls smooth, sometimes gritty, sometimes it’ll actually pop before it drops the striker, sometimes it lets off crisp, sometimes it creeps off and makes you dip the front sight.

I start the trigger press with my finger off the trigger and smash through all of it. It’s the only way to shoot a Glock IME.

I liken it to a wildly exaggerated Geissele SSA trigger.

Absolutely Garbage for precision, just fine for ripping rounds off.

GJM
12-29-2020, 11:42 AM
The triggers in my 43s and 48s are a lot different than the ones in my Gen5 17s.

The triggers in the small frame guns are a lot smoother with a heavier, crisper break.

I don’t generally prefer crisp in handgun trigger, but the Gen5 17s are unpredictable enough that I can slow fire the little ones better. Like sometimes it pulls smooth, sometimes gritty, sometimes it’ll actually pop before it drops the striker, sometimes it lets off crisp, sometimes it creeps off and makes you dip the front sight.

I start the trigger press with my finger off the trigger and smash through all of it. It’s the only way to shoot a Glock IME.

And that is the magic of the Glock. Objectively less than ideal in so many ways, but when you shoot action competition games or defense oriented drills, and look at the points and the timer, the Glock punches way above its weight.

blues
12-29-2020, 02:05 PM
...the Glock punches way above its weight.

And takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'.

Rex G
12-29-2020, 09:31 PM
I am not happy with the Gen5 trigger, but, I never really loved the Gen4 or Gen3, either. The Glock trigger is what it is. That is one reason my Glocks are relegated to the safe, now, in these days of isolation, as I need live-fire confirmation, with Glocks. Dry-fire ain’t enough. (Long-stroke DA is my least-perishable trigger skill set, and so I have been revolving-around, lately.)

I am, of course, able to tell the difference. Each Glock generation means another adjustment.

One of my Gen4 G19 Glocks, a MOS, had a dismal trigger, the worst of the lot, Gen3, 4, or 5. When I started trading-off my G19 pistols, this year, it was the first to go. (Compact Nines vex my aging hands.) The Gen4 G17, that I bought in 2015, to be my duty pistol, was quite nice, out of the box. The next Gen4 G17 that I bought, to be the spare, was not nearly as good. So, my sample of six Gen4 Glocks, G26, G19, and G17, have been all over the place.

My only Gen5 Glock, that I bought new, as-delivered from the factory, is a G19x. I later added a Gen5 G17, but got it pre-owned, and it was a Wilson Combat G17, so its trigger may have been cleaned-up while at WC, but, notably, its trigger is very much like that in the G19x.

It is difficult for me to remember the triggers in the Gen3 Glocks I bought during the 2002-2004 time that I first bought into Glock, when I used a pair of G22 duty pistols. I phased them out, in 2005, after switching to SIGs. I bought a pre-owned Gen3 G17, in 2012, with a quite sweet trigger, by Glock standards. The parts appeared stock.

My best Glock trigger, is in a Gen3 G17C, acquired relatively recently, but it should be, as its first owner had sent it to Robar for the full meal deal.

Gio
12-29-2020, 11:07 PM
I prefer the gen5 triggers to any other Glock trigger in both stock form and modified. I find them more forgiving and shootable than previous generations, and I can get them lighter modified while still being more reliable on most primers without needing an aftermarket striker.

Ed L
12-30-2020, 03:10 AM
And that is the magic of the Glock. Objectively less than ideal in so many ways, but when you shoot action competition games or defense oriented drills, and look at the points and the timer, the Glock punches way above its weight.

Do many people shoot Glocks in competition with stock triggers?

JHC
12-30-2020, 06:55 AM
Rex G interesting observation about the long DA pull being least perishable - I think I find it so also. A few months ago I was surprised to see pretty decent DA wheelie hits after a couple years of not firing a shot out of one.

Gio - "more forgiving" is I think a good way to put it.

JBP55
12-30-2020, 08:46 PM
I prefer the gen5 triggers to any other Glock trigger in both stock form and modified. I find them more forgiving and shootable than previous generations, and I can get them lighter modified while still being more reliable on most primers without needing an aftermarket striker.

I concur.

MGW
12-30-2020, 09:07 PM

I agree 100% with you on this. I wouldn’t say I love my 43x and 48 triggers but they are much better than any of the Gen 5s I own. I still have to really think about the trigger press on my G45. I don’t on my 48. If fact, out to 15 yards I often shoot better groups with my 48.

Someone put a slimline trigger in a 17 for me and I’ll stop bitching (mostly) about Glocks.

Gio
12-31-2020, 10:21 AM
Do many people shoot Glocks in competition with stock triggers?

My trigger is not far off stock for uspsa. I use a 4.5# spring instead of a 5.5# spring and that’s it. Also, an interesting observation ive had shooting some GSSF matches where you’re required to have a stock trigger for all but one division, my time and hits are nearly identical between a stock g19 and a modified g34.