PDA

View Full Version : Langdon 92 Elite Centurion vs CZ Shadow 2 - I'm torn

RSW1
12-26-2020, 08:02 AM
In searching for my "next" handgun I usually know what I want, but this time I find myself torn between the Langdon 92 Elite Centurion or the CZ Shadow 2.
The Langdon comes with the LTT trigger bar and trigger job, whereas the Shadow 2 is "stock" out of the box although we'd all agree there's nothing stock about the Shadow.

I'm not shooting competition, but I do want an effortlessly accurate gun. I think a good example of that is the HK VP9 I shot recently. Easy 1" groups at 6 yards without really
even trying. So why not the VP9? I'm not big on striker fire, plus it doesn't really fit right in my hand (accurate or not).

I've now handled both guns in question, but haven't shot either. The Beretta (LTT) has good balance, feels good in your hand, and has a "light" feel to it compared to a
standard 92. Plus of course most of us want to own a 92 at some point ;). The Shadow 2 is well balanced, surprisingly heavy (unloaded) and is built to be a hyper-accurate
competition gun. You'd think the Shadow would be the clear choice but it is quite heavy and is really only good for competition. Not to say you couldn't use it for self defense,
but it's not really practical for toting around.

Anyway, hoping someone on the forum had a similar dilemma or can offer some thoughts.

Thx

Jared
12-26-2020, 03:44 PM
I’ve had a Shadow 2, and multiple 92 variants although never the Langdon Centurion. Did have a Wilson Centurion, and an older 92FS Centurion though.

Really, this comes down to exactly what you want. The 92 is more of a service pistol suited to home defense, concealed carry, etc. It is absolutely capable of being a winning competition gun. More than one major match has been won by shooters using 92s.

The Shadow 2 should really be considered the better competition pistol. It is suboptimal for Concealed carry and home defense because it doesn’t have a firing pin block and decocking the pistol requires pulling the trigger. Both of these are no-go’s for me when looking for a handgun for defense.

So ultimately you’re going to have to decide if you want a dedicated competition/range gun (Shadow 2) or a pistol that is more versatile but is less optimized for competition (92). That’s what it really comes down to.

JSGlock34
12-26-2020, 03:57 PM
Why the Centurion as opposed to a full size LTT 92 if shooting groups is the primary use? A full size LTT92 would be more of a direct comparison to the Shadow 2 (though the 92X Performance is Beretta's answer to the Shadow 2 on the competition field).

Clusterfrack
12-26-2020, 04:02 PM
RSW1, I’m responding from the range. My solution is to use a S2 for competition and a P-07 for defense. I find both to be effortlessly accurate.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201226/1a1448b431f2c9f8efe0121b20d109cb.jpg

RSW1
12-26-2020, 04:06 PM
Why the Centurion as opposed to a full size LTT 92 if shooting groups is the primary use? A full size LTT92 would be more of a direct comparison to the Shadow 2 (though the 92X Performance is Beretta's answer to the Shadow 2 on the competition field).

Fairly simple. I like my P226 from a size/weight standpoint. The Centurion is pretty much the same size. Nothing against the 92 full size. I just like a slightly smaller pistol.

JSGlock34
12-26-2020, 04:17 PM
Personally I wouldn't purchase a Shadow 2 unless I was shooting USPSA Production.

Jared
12-26-2020, 04:20 PM
Personally I wouldn't purchase a Shadow 2 unless I was shooting USPSA Production.

RSW1

This is sage advice in my experience, and rather succinctly sums up what I was posting about.

RSW1
12-26-2020, 05:32 PM

I heard a LOT of people say that. Not for completion?, the Shadow is a bit much unless you just "want one".

JSGlock34
12-26-2020, 05:51 PM
I heard a LOT of people say that. Not for completion?, the Shadow is a bit much unless you just "want one".

I'm not a collector by nature. When I read your post, you say the Shadow 2 is "really only good for competition" and "I'm not shooting competition". I think that sums up my thoughts on these choices.

Clusterfrack
12-26-2020, 06:34 PM
I'm not a collector by nature. When I read your post, you say the Shadow 2 is "really only good for competition" and "I'm not shooting competition". I think that sums up my thoughts on these choices.

I was just about to agree with you and Jared. Then I started thinking about the really nice 1911s I used to own. Even if I weren't shooting USPSA Production, I'd rather have a Shadow2 than any of them. These are the most reliable, best shooting guns I've ever owned. They fit me better ergonomically than anything else I've tried.

Full17
12-26-2020, 07:44 PM
Another option for le$$...

https://fimegroup.com/alpha/

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2019/5/25/review-arex-rex-alpha/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h50rUlB1WwM

Jared
12-26-2020, 08:20 PM
I was just about to agree with you and Jared. Then I started thinking about the really nice 1911s I used to own. Even if I weren't shooting USPSA Production, I'd rather have a Shadow2 than any of them. These are the most reliable, best shooting guns I've ever owned. They fit me better ergonomically than anything else I've tried.

Definitely give you a point there! I’m in the same boat, I’d rather have a 92, PX4 or a good CZ over another 1911. I still own a brace of 1911s that have some sentimental value to me but I’m not looking to add any more.

For what the OP is looking to do though, I think he could just about flip a coin between his stated options.

JSGlock34
12-26-2020, 08:22 PM

Fair point. I just view the Shadow 2 as very one dimensional. No doubt it can serve very well as a range gun.

JimLob65
12-26-2020, 08:26 PM
I own a WC Cen Tac and Brig Tac, and a LTT Elite full sized, all with trigger jobs, and a Shadow 2 and an AccuShadow 2, and pretty much think that Jared hit the nail on the head in post #2. The Beretta is a much more appropriate carry/ home defense pistol than the Shadow 2 due to weight, the ability to decock and the inclusion of a firing pin block. FWIW I agree that the Centurian feels noticeably lighter than a full size Beretta because it is more balanced and much less nose heavy.

If, however you are primarily concerned in punching holes in paper or shooting competition you can’t go wrong with the Shadow 2. As an added bonus with a minimal amount of time and money you can easily warm over a Shadow 2 to achieve a really awesome trigger. Generally, to approach the competition capability of the Shadow 2 with a Beretta you might consider stepping up to a 92X Competition which, with the substitution of a 11 or 12lb mainspring results in an awesome trigger. Even there, though you don’t have a decoder, and it is even heavier than the CZ! The Berettas aren’t far behind though, and have the capability of handling all three tasks very well indeed.

I absolutely love my Berettas, my Shadow 2s and my 92X Performance. They each offer a bit of a different shooting experience. I, however am more of a collector looking for different shooting experiences, and I like to spend money rather stupidly:cool::cool:!

Bucky
12-27-2020, 06:46 AM
I'm not shooting competition, but I do want an effortlessly accurate gun. I think a good example of that is the HK VP9 I shot recently. Easy 1" groups at 6 yards without really
even trying. So why not the VP9? I'm not big on striker fire, plus it doesn't really fit right in my hand (accurate or not).

If you can do 1” at 6 yards with a VP9, the 1” at 12 yards will be a walk in the park with a Shadow 2. Right now I’m shooting my Shadow 2 more accurate at 25 yards than any of my other pistols (and I have a few that I should shoot better), it’s closest rival being a 1911 in .40.

So as a range toy, the Shadow 2 will put a smile on your face.

BTW, I’ve been playing a lot with my Shadow 2s in competition (one production and one carry optics), and I typically carry a 92 Compact for EDC, so obviously I’m a fan of both platforms.

tlong17
12-27-2020, 08:13 AM
In searching for my "next" handgun I usually know what I want, but this time I find myself torn between the Langdon 92 Elite Centurion or the CZ Shadow 2.
The Langdon comes with the LTT trigger bar and trigger job, whereas the Shadow 2 is "stock" out of the box although we'd all agree there's nothing stock about the Shadow.

I've now handled both guns in question, but haven't shot either. The Beretta (LTT) has good balance, feels good in your hand, and has a "light" feel to it compared to a
standard 92. Plus of course most of us want to own a 92 at some point ;). The Shadow 2 is well balanced, surprisingly heavy (unloaded) and is built to be a hyper-accurate
competition gun. You'd think the Shadow would be the clear choice but it is quite heavy and is really only good for competition. Not to say you couldn't use it for self defense,
but it's not really practical for toting around.

Anyway, hoping someone on the forum had a similar dilemma or can offer some thoughts.

Thx

"Yes"

:cool:

beenalongtime
12-27-2020, 10:02 AM
Before the Centurion model came out, I looked at the CZ, twice, at my LGS. There was a customer, retired LEO, that would buy guns, just to shoot and see what they liked, then trade them in, or consign them and get something else. He was old enough verses what he had in the bank/lack of family, that several times good deals were had by those who let him buy first.
I decided to go with the LTT full size, which was coming out at the time, which was several hundred dollars more then he wanted for the CZ (offered at $900)
Later, he traded in a 75 BD, with two magazines through it. I picked up that, although I was hoping he would by the CZ SP-01 Tactical, because of my decocker preference. (shoot similar to what I carry).
I bought the LTT Centurion, because it is similar to my carry, I like the size and prefer the grip over my Wilson Centec (rounding that point off).
I bought the Red dot Centurion slide, but not the full size. Centurion is my preference.