PDA

View Full Version : Glock Non-MOS Dilemma

Pasanova
12-25-2020, 10:56 PM
I finally took the plunge. I'm running a Glock 17 Gen 5 MOS with a Holosun RDS and am loving it. I have a customized Glock 17 gen 4 with a standard slide. I would like to get the slide milled.

I have a feeling that I'm going to change brands/models of RDS on the pistol as the technology evolves. Does anyone know of a company that utilizes various plates for one cut like Wilson Combat or the standard Glock MOS? I would hate to get my slide milled for a Trijicon RMR and later want to an Aimpoint ACRO for instance.

Utm
12-25-2020, 11:02 PM
Agency arms AOS is probably what you're looking for. You can use various adapter plates

HCM
12-25-2020, 11:07 PM
I finally took the plunge. I'm running a Glock 17 Gen 5 MOS with a Holosun RDS and am loving it. I have a customized Glock 17 gen 4 with a standard slide. I would like to get the slide milled.

I have a feeling that I'm going to change brands/models of RDS on the pistol as the technology evolves. Does anyone know of a company that utilizes various plates for one cut like Wilson Combat or the standard Glock MOS? I would hate to get my slide milled for a Trijicon RMR and later want to an Aimpoint ACRO for instance.

Agency arms AOS system and the Unity Tactical ATOM system.

Agency does AOS cuts. Unity only sells ATOM slides but L&M precision can do the ATOM cut.

If it’s a Glock, L&M can also do MOS cuts on non MOS guns.

Paul D
12-25-2020, 11:38 PM
I asked this same question back in 2017 (Link (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?25034-Converting-non-MOS-Glock-slides-to-MOS-configuration)): Mark of L&M said no regarding Gen 3/4 guns but I think it will apply to Gen5 guns.

FROM Mark in that thread:

The short answer is, no.

The reason being that the rear sight dovetail on a conventional Glock slide is much farther forward than on the MOS slide and there is not room between that and the striker safety plunger for the MOS adapters.

I did such a "conversion" for a customer by milling out the dovetail, TIG welding in material, reshaping the rear of the slide to essentially move the rear dovetail to the MOS location, etc. etc. Turned out to be a major "science fair project" that I wouldn't care to repeat. And for what can reasonably be charged for such work the new minimum wage laws would prevent it anyway. :rolleyes:

The ATOM adapter system allows for the swapping of supported optics by changing out the adapter with the limitation of the design being that the rear sight is placed in front of the optic [a whole 'nother internet war in and of itself].

exuberant
12-26-2020, 12:57 AM
CHPWS can mill a Glock MOS cut in the rear dovetail section of your slide, and cut a new rear sight dovetail in front of the MOS cut. You're probably better off getting the AOS cut from Agency Arms, but I've heard their lead times are incredibly long and it's hard to find AOS plates in stock.

sickeness
12-26-2020, 05:08 AM
I know this ain't the answer you are looking for but I was faced with a similar dilemma and ended up biting the bullet and buying a used stripped OEM MOS slide which was probably the most economical option.
I considered the the AOS cut but the lead time is 3+ months, AOS plates are only in stock about once or twice a year and pre-cut AOS slides run $500+.

My specific reasoning was that I am heavily invested in 6354DO holsters and a milled-in RMR won't fit in that holster without dremeling some shroud clearance.

Lon
12-26-2020, 08:55 AM
Another option which costs a little more than a mill job is to buy a already cut aftermarket slide. Brownells has RMR cut slides for the Gen 4. I’ve had/have 3 of their slides and I like them.

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/slide-parts/slides/rmr-cut-slide-for-glock-17-gen-4-prod121024.aspx

I’m going through the same dilemma w a G26 project I’m working on. Decided on a aftermarket slide for now. I chose an AIM surplus slide because it worked with the RMR to 509T adapter. The brownells slide doesn’t.

HeavyDuty
12-26-2020, 09:57 AM
Another option which costs a little more than a mill job is to buy a already cut aftermarket slide. Brownells has RMR cut slides for the Gen 4. I’ve had/have 3 of their slides and I like them.

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/slide-parts/slides/rmr-cut-slide-for-glock-17-gen-4-prod121024.aspx

I’m going through the same dilemma w a G26 project I’m working on. Decided on a aftermarket slide for now. I chose an AIM surplus slide because it worked with the RMR to 509T adapter. The brownells slide doesn’t.

Thread drift, but I was giving serious thought to milling my 26.5. That’s on hold now that a 26.5 MOS is showing on the Glock.eu website.

Lon
12-26-2020, 10:12 AM
Thread drift, but I was giving serious thought to milling my 26.5. That’s on hold now that a 26.5 MOS is showing on the Glock.eu website.

I think it’ll be pretty cool when it’s done.

Nephrology
12-26-2020, 10:16 AM
Nice. Now that I am sold on dots I am going through the same dilemma. My current plan is to a G26 and a G19 slide off to AOS for their cut + ACRO plates and then to get 2 ACROs to go with them, but I tapped my gun funds for the year on an AR upper + all the parts needed to fully rebuild my AR pistol into something nicer. This is my next big gun purchase planned, however. hopefully Aimpoint releases the P-2 between now and when I have the money set aside :)

JCN
12-26-2020, 10:54 AM
Nice. Now that I am sold on dots I am going through the same dilemma. My current plan is to a G26 and a G19 slide off to AOS for their cut + ACRO plates and then to get 2 ACROs to go with them, but I tapped my gun funds for the year on an AR upper + all the parts needed to fully rebuild my AR pistol into something nicer. This is my next big gun purchase planned, however. hopefully Aimpoint releases the P-2 between now and when I have the money set aside :)

Any reason you favor the battery eating Acro over the new Holosun closed emitter pistol offering?

https://www.holosun.com/index/product/detail/id/117.html

Nephrology
12-26-2020, 11:20 AM
Any reason you favor the battery eating Acro over the new Holosun closed emitter pistol offering?

I want to get dots on two guns I trust for carry first, and I trust the Aimpoint products more than the holosun. I'm happy with the P-1 I have now. I'll be saving up for this and hopefully Aimpoint drops the improved ACRO in the interim.

For non-carry guns I'd be perfectly happy with any of the holosuns I am sure.

edit: FWIW I've had my ACRO on ~7 since I got it back in september/october, battery still going strong. Setting 8/10 was more than bright enough for shooting yesterday in the bright CO sunshine. Next time I change the battery I'll leave in on 8 and see how long it lasts.

YVK
12-26-2020, 11:31 AM

In a context of this thread (adapter plate enabled slides), the aftermarket Holosun adapters are vaporware. Both of my G19 Glocks are adapter enabled, one is Unity Atom, another Agency AOS. I can't get a plate for Holosun. Unity doesn't have one, Agency doesn't offer one for retail purchase. The Acro plate I can get from both.

JHC
12-30-2020, 01:34 PM
No MOS, no problem. or ?

Use the rear sight's dovetail.

Wild.

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2020/12/30/review-leupold-deltapoint-micro

It appears one's normal iron sight "index" might translate straight to this micro. Wild.

HCM
12-30-2020, 02:32 PM
No MOS, no problem. or ?

Use the rear sight's dovetail.

Wild.

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2020/12/30/review-leupold-deltapoint-micro

It appears one's normal iron sight "index" might translate straight to this micro. Wild.

I’d rather do something like a raven concealment Baylor mount with an RMR.

That small window is going to be an issue shooting one-handed and in unconventional positions. Hard pass.

Pasanova
04-01-2021, 01:52 AM
Wanted to give everyone an update. This has been a 3-4 month project with a bunch of run around.

I sent my slide to CH Precision and had my slide milled for a MOS cut. The rear sight dovetail was milled in front of the MOS plate due to it being a Gen 4. I mailed slide out in January 2021. Got a call in early February and they advised that the new rear sight dovetail was cut out of spec. CH requested that I send my send my Holosun 509T and Taran Tactical MOS sights to them for fitting. I mailed the parts and it was crickets. I called at the end of Feb and was told that the slide was finished. Two more weeks pass and nothing arrives. I call again. I'm told that the slide is being refinished and should be out in a week.

Sooo...the slide arrived last week. They weren't able to fit my Taran rear sight. It's all filed down and not returnable. Instead, a Savigney rear sight is fitted to the slide. The Taran front sight is attached to the slide. The irons shoot 6 inches high at 25 yards.

I had them attached a CH 509T plate. Now...to the 509T. The rounds...Federal 147 grain FMJ and 147 grain HST hollow points are impacting 4 inches high at 25 yards. The bad news..the optic is maxed out and I can't lower the POI any lower..........

I'm calling them tomorrow..Please beware

RJ
04-01-2021, 07:20 AM
Wanted to give everyone an update. This has been a 3-4 month project with a bunch of run around.

I sent my slide to CH Precision and had my slide milled for a MOS cut. The rear sight dovetail was milled in front of the MOS plate due to it being a Gen 4. I mailed slide out in January 2021. Got a call in early February and they advised that the new rear sight dovetail was cut out of spec. CH requested that I send my send my Holosun 509T and Taran Tactical MOS sights to them for fitting. I mailed the parts and it was crickets. I called at the end of Feb and was told that the slide was finished. Two more weeks pass and nothing arrives. I call again. I'm told that the slide is being refinished and should be out in a week.

Sooo...the slide arrived last week. They weren't able to fit my Taran rear sight. It's all filed down and not returnable. Instead, a Savigney rear sight is fitted to the slide. The Taran front sight is attached to the slide. The irons shoot 6 inches high at 25 yards.

I had them attached a CH 509T plate. Now...to the 509T. The rounds...Federal 147 grain FMJ and 147 grain HST hollow points are impacting 4 inches high at 25 yards. The bad news..the optic is maxed out and I can't lower the POI any lower..........

I'm calling them tomorrow..Please beware

That's very unfortunate. I hope you get it worked out.