PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts?

Harry_huge
12-25-2020, 02:41 PM
Semi-auto .357 handgun, worth it, or get a .45?
Any thoughts?

GearFondler
12-25-2020, 02:54 PM
Ehhhhh... What's it for? Just to ring steel? Self-defense? Flexing on IG?
Need more data.

Duelist
12-25-2020, 02:58 PM
Hi, Harry. Your question is far too vague for anyone to be able to guess at an answer.

Elements that should factor into your decision would be:
1-your experience with shooting in general, and handguns specifically
2-your use case for this firearm
3-your access to/ability to make ammunition

Then and only then does the specific handgun and its caliber come into play, whereas you only provided for consideration two different calibers in your post. No adequate answer or advice can be given to the question “Should I get a .357 or a .45?” without additional background.

BehindBlueI's
12-25-2020, 03:15 PM
.357 Sig? No, not worth it.

.357 Magnum? The Coonan is a neat 'fun gun' but I probably use it for anything serious.

JonInWA
12-25-2020, 03:37 PM
.357 Magnum Semi-Auto-Which one?? They're a bit of a snowflake; if you're fixated on .357 magnum performance and ballistics, just get a 10 mm semi-auto

.357 SIG-Which one? With many, you can simply get a .40, and then get a .357 SIG barrel for it and have immediate interchangability.

Best, Jon

maximus83
12-25-2020, 04:01 PM
Any thoughts?

I wouldn't get into either of these calibers with a new handgun starting today, unless I had a specific reason. Collector, handgun hunting, tired of all 9mm's and want something different, etc. Would help to have context on your planned use.

If you decide to go this way, I don't believe you'll have as much success finding a reliable semiauto platform in .357 magnum. Whereas there are plenty of good options for .45 acp. Top of mind options would be 1911 (the usual suspect makes), H&K, M&P (I'm referring to the full and mid-size that I owned in the past, can't vouch for the Shields).

Clusterfrack
12-25-2020, 04:13 PM
I dislike having extra calibers if I have no good use for them. I’ve eliminated .45 and .40 for that reason. Unfortunately, a few new calibers have crept in: .300 BLK and .300 PRC, but at least they add functionality.

Joe in PNG
12-25-2020, 04:51 PM
If one wants to go traditional, try a .38 Super.

HCM
12-25-2020, 05:00 PM
Any thoughts?

Like .357 the revolver cartridge or .357 SIG ?

For what purpose ? Mission drives gear section.

Lost River
12-25-2020, 05:16 PM
If I was in the market for a 35 caliber that was not a 9mm, I would get a .38 Super, as you can load it up to some pretty impressive levels.

If you really want to hot-rod, the 9x25 Dillon in a Glock is an option, which is a 10mm necked down to a 9mm that can run a 125 grain projectile at around 1700 FPS.

That is faster than some factory .357 loads.

I would not choose a semi auto chambered in a .357.

YVK
12-25-2020, 05:43 PM
Any thoughts?

Yes. Thread titles in technical part of the forum should be more descriptive.

Navin Johnson
12-25-2020, 08:48 PM
Too much info kills click bait......

JCN
12-25-2020, 10:24 PM
Dunno. Guns are fun. Do they have to have a purpose? :D

https://youtu.be/-nckNHwJGuM

HCM
12-25-2020, 11:21 PM
Dunno. Guns are fun. Do they have to have a purpose? :D

https://youtu.be/-nckNHwJGuM

Fun is a purpose, but you need to be honest about it.

For me anything that is not a Glock or SIG striker fired 9mm, AR or 870 is a fun gun.,

willie
12-26-2020, 03:06 AM
I suggest a stock 1911 38 Super with a Bar Sto barrel fitted by Bar Sto. Pay them to do a trigger job and check extractor, ejector, and disconnecter. Otherwise, buy a Glock 357 Sig and start hoarding ammo. You can reload the 38 Super. The Sig round is difficult to reload. It is obsolete. It's no longer cool. I have a HK P2000 and a ton of money in the gun, mags, and ammo. Therefore, I think it's great, but it ain't cool.

Rex G
12-26-2020, 04:47 AM
Any thoughts?

Welcome to the forum! :)

Um, worth what?

Do you mean 357 SIG, or .357 Magnum?

I am not sure that 357 SIG actually fulfilled its promise, as real-world velocity is so little more than 9mm +P, for the same actual bullet diameter and weight, but some folks seems to like it. I have considered a 357 SIG barrel, for my SIG P229R DAK, a former duty pistol, which I retired from service as soon as my chief OK’ed 9mm as an alternative duty cartridge. The high bore axis of the SIG was enabling the .40 to create a perfect storm of torture for my aging thumb, hand, and wrist, as I reached age 50. I have read enough accounts that 357 SIG has noticeably less felt recoil than .40 S&W, to tempt me to convert an old faithful workhorse duty gun to a milder-recoiling cartridge, now that I am retired. Converting to 9mm would be more involved, requiring more parts.

The problem? Unlike during previous ammo panic-buying sprees, 357 SIG has disappeared from inventories. This is not a good time to start needing 357 SIG ammo.

.357 Magnum is a personal favorite, in revolvers, but auto-loaders that chamber it are rare birds; largely collectibles. Coonan and Desert Eagle come to mind. There is nothing wrong with shooting collectible guns, of course. As with 357 SIG ammo, this is not a good time to start needing .357 Magnum ammo. I am fortunate to have a residual supply, though it is not ample.

My aging hands appreciate the mild pressure of .45 ACP, fired from all-steel pistols, having recoil characteristics that are easy on the joints, and the blast is nicely gentler to the ears. The 1911 design, a personal favorite since before I owned pistols, and was reading history books, has a low bore axis, which mitigates muzzle flip, and is a “natural” home for the .45 ACP cartridge. So, yes, I personally like .45 ACP.

Having said all of the above, Luckygunner dot com seems to regularly have 9mm +P 124-grain Speer Gold Dots in stock, a “.355 near-Magnum” that I favor, in my full-sized Glocks.

farscott
12-26-2020, 08:07 AM
As many here have read all too often, my .357 Magnum semi-auto is a 9x23 Winchester Series '80 Colt. Only recommended if you reload as 9x23, but Winchester factory 9x23 ammo is available at a lower cost per round than M855.

That being said, that Coonan Compact is pretty freaking cool.

CraigS
12-26-2020, 08:10 AM
I don't understand this thought of using a revolver cartridge in a semi-auto or a semi-auto cartridge in a revolver. There are so dang many cartridges available for each style handgun I see no point in mixing them. Already a 10MM or 38 super has been suggested instead of a .357.

JCN
12-26-2020, 09:29 AM
Fun is a purpose, but you need to be honest about it.

For me anything that is not a Glock or SIG striker fired 9mm, AR or 870 is a fun gun.,

For me when I say “purpose” I mean “[functional] purpose” otherwise it gets a little existential.

To your Glock and striker Sigs statement... are you saying those aren’t fun? Or that anything else is “just for fun?”

Because revolvers and other DASA I use for dry fire trigger training and finger strength, it’s not fun but it’s functional for a purpose of improving my general shooting ability.

HCM
12-26-2020, 04:17 PM
For me when I say “purpose” I mean “[functional] purpose” otherwise it gets a little existential.

To your Glock and striker Sigs statement... are you saying those aren’t fun? Or that anything else is “just for fun?”

Because revolvers and other DASA I use for dry fire trigger training and finger strength, it’s not fun but it’s functional for a purpose of improving my general shooting ability.

Anything else is just for fun.

The ones listed are tools for killing people who need killing (or training for same) which is potentially part of my job, though we don’t always think it be like that, sometimes it do.

Guns used for subsistence hunting (or partial subsistence hunting) would also be tools though that isn’t applicable to me.

Stephanie B
12-27-2020, 01:42 PM
As Mas has written, you can now get .356 TSW barrels for some flavors of Glock (https://gunsmagazine.com/discover/the-356-tsw/).

GearFondler
12-27-2020, 01:52 PM
The OP hasn't even responded... This thread is pointless.