PDA

View Full Version : ()$(_+_% Stun Guns!

Glenn E. Meyer
12-23-2020, 10:58 AM
So, there is an aggressive panhandler in our area that is frightening women. Supposedly, the law picks him up and let's him go. The Nextdoor group is all upset. Thus, some self-defense dood is selling stun guns to put in your purse. Yep, the old sparky that you would have to dig out of your purse because they will 'disable' an attacker.

Of course, Dr. Big Mouth (me - hey, mentioning my degree!) has to say that this is bullshit. Don't do this. Get an OC, learn how to use it, take a legit H2H class - not Some Dood Dojo of Doom. Some Dood is incensed and wants me to come and try it. Kind of like the old, Well, would you stand in front of 25 ACP?

Bah, yeah, I've been electrified with those in a class or two, oh, hum, ouch. I explain it. I've been at gun shows with friends and their wives and the latter get all excited by seeing the arc. They think they will drop you dead like on the TV or movies.

Bah. Didn't mention a Glock as that might frighten the horses.

LHS
12-23-2020, 04:23 PM
Some of those "stun guns' are literally sex toys. Ask Sumdood if he wants to drive the bum away or give him a happy ending.

So, there is an aggressive panhandler in our area that is frightening women. Supposedly, the law picks him up and let's him go. The Nextdoor group is all upset. Thus, some self-defense dood is selling stun guns to put in your purse. Yep, the old sparky that you would have to dig out of your purse because they will 'disable' an attacker.

Of course, Dr. Big Mouth (me - hey, mentioning my degree!) has to say that this is bullshit. Don't do this. Get an OC, learn how to use it, take a legit H2H class - not Some Dood Dojo of Doom. Some Dood is incensed and wants me to come and try it. Kind of like the old, Well, would you stand in front of 25 ACP?

Bah, yeah, I've been electrified with those in a class or two, oh, hum, ouch. I explain it. I've been at gun shows with friends and their wives and the latter get all excited by seeing the arc. They think they will drop you dead like on the TV or movies.

Bah. Didn't mention a Glock as that might frighten the horses.

Bergeron
12-23-2020, 04:40 PM
Well, if SD is insistent upon this “come and try it” attitude, you could tell him that you’ll show up with spray in a pocket, and he can start with his zapper in a purse, and go from there.

Failing that, offer to take a zap from him if he’ll take a spray from you.

Once, to make a point, I held one of those zappers on my leg, turned it on and counted out loud to five.

JAD
12-23-2020, 04:43 PM

Failing that, offer to take a zap from him if he’ll take a spray from you.

Or a couple of beanbag rounds, if he’s allergic to capsicum.

Glenn E. Meyer
12-23-2020, 04:51 PM
Haha. How about my SIRT Glock and trainer Spyderco? No, I said my piece and folks can take it or leave it. In my youth, I did some H2H and we did stun guns, big deal, yawn. Since I just turned 73 and an old fart, I will just offer advice. My last foray into such, I screwed up my hand. It swelled up, I had to go to urgent care, the orthopedic hand dr. dood, wear a contraption on my hand and go to physical therapy for a bit. My wife would brain me if I offer to fight someone, haha.

A better test would be for one his students to try to get out the stun gun and block against the training knife.

Joe in PNG
12-23-2020, 04:59 PM
I've actually used a stun gun for bug bites- including a wire and plate to pass the current through the limb instead of on the surface.

It was about the same as the zappy thingy they plugged me into during knee surgery rehab.

jnc36rcpd
12-25-2020, 03:10 PM
I was involved in my agency's Explorer program when I was a young puppy cop (and former Explorer). Another former-Explorer working for an allied agency was part of a test project for "The Source". The Source was a fairly bright (for the early eighties) full-size plastic flashlight with a "stun gun" in the tail. The light was designed to be used for wristlocks and takedowns. My colleague was giving a class on the Source to an Explorer meeting when an off-duty officer wandered in. Spike listened to the presentation, picked up the Source, and began experimenting with it. He sparked it a couple time, then applied and reapplied it to his wrist. After that had no effect, he then sparked it against his bald head, exclaiming "This is a piece of junk,kids!" Completely destroyed the credibility of the class.

Much later, Frank Repass zapped various officers on the line as we attempted a course of fire during a Streamlight class at an IALEFI RTC.

I suspect these devices have some utility in defensive tactics, but as discussed regarding the Taser, one needs to prepare for failure. I'd also remark that there is probably no real testing of these products as there has been of the Taser and various OC products.

Glenn E. Meyer
12-25-2020, 03:45 PM
I was also thinking that in my environment folks wear pretty heavy clothing. That might interfere with even the minimal impact of these pieces of crap. Sum Dood has not answered my analysis. My wife and daughter both laughed at finding it in your purse in real time. Same comment I made for a friend who SD techinque was for his wife to carry a Taurus 85 in her purse and hand it to him when the zombies lurch forward. Gave him a whole bunch of info on female carry techniques. At least, I got him to have her ditch the Taurus for a G42.

45dotACP
12-25-2020, 10:06 PM
About the only utility I see in a stun gun is as a device you can use in training knife defense. One dude has the stun gun, the other dude doesn't want to get zapped. Put them on a mat and let them fight for it.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

willie
12-27-2020, 12:50 AM
Being an old man, I would not desire having to get that close to an attacker in order to use a stun gun. But I will say this about shocking devices. I have seen cattle prods used on people. They bring about immediate compliance. When someone refuses to exit the back of a patrol car at the jail, a cattle prod will make the dude jump out. They were known as "hot shots". Before anyone asks me if I would have want that done to me, I will say no, of course not. But I got enough sense to get out of the damn car. I liked the electric chair too but never wanted to sit in one for real.

Mas
12-27-2020, 09:03 PM
@Glenn : What does NY law say about carrying and using "stun guns"?

Glenn E. Meyer
12-28-2020, 09:39 AM
They are legal it seems: https://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/resources/stun-gun-laws-new-york.htm

Mas
12-28-2020, 10:29 AM
Thanks, Glenn.

BillSWPA
12-28-2020, 11:33 PM
Long before I knew better, I bought a stun gun at a gun show. Years later, after reading multiple accounts of their ineffectiveness, I put it against my arm and turned it on. It was unpleasant, but certainly not disabling. If used for self-defense, it would seriously only succeed in getting the attacker mad at the user.

Flamingo
03-25-2021, 06:07 PM
Here is a pretty good video on how crappy stunguns are:

https://youtu.be/me60gWzbMXw

Polecat
04-01-2021, 12:03 PM
So, really she has pretty marginal technique. A lot of noise making little contact. I wonder if she would have deployed it on his median, ulnar or radial nerve just behind thumb, to effect release. I have only seen one online,vid where it made sense. Guy was basically using it as blows came in against the attacking limb. I am curious too as to efficacy of different brands as outlined in a paper available on the Saber Red site. Would love to see a True Taser product with smaller size and designed to “drive stun”

More optimum targets I would think are subxiphoid area (solar plexus), neck, axilla. All of these have large neural plexi which should cause more pain and activation, but really just speculation until one has a nice selection of devices, and suitable volunteer.

Dave

Glenn E. Meyer
04-01-2021, 12:20 PM
So, really she has pretty marginal technique. A lot of noise making little contact. I wonder if she would have deployed it on his median, ulnar or radial nerve just behind thumb, to effect release. I have only seen one online,vid where it made sense. Guy was basically using it as blows came in against the attacking limb. I am curious too as to efficacy of different brands as outlined in a paper available on the Saber Red site. Would love to see a True Taser product with smaller size and designed to “drive stun”

More optimum targets I would think are subxiphoid area (solar plexus), neck, axilla. All of these have large neural plexi which should cause more pain and activation, but really just speculation until one has a nice selection of devices, and suitable volunteer.

Dave

I doubt that the women for whom the stun gun was recommended in our little Nextdoor conversation for purse carry would have the slightest idea where any of the anatomical targets above are located. If they did because they trained, they would be better off without the stun gun and something else. Using it as an impact weapon is a different story.