PDA

View Full Version : Why isn’t there a carbine kit for a Beretta 92

Wheeler
12-23-2020, 09:47 AM
So the thread about the 870 scattergat with a TDA trigger group along with my desire to have a carbine that uses 92 series magazines that isn’t a CX4 and doesn’t have Keltec stamped on it somewhere got me to looking for a MechTech conversion kit to stick on top of my M9. Imagine my dismay when I found there wasn’t nor had never been such a thing. Is there any reason other than marketing? Because I’d really like to see such a thing that didn’t compete with a Korth in cost.

JSGlock34
12-23-2020, 09:53 AM
I'm not sure if Wilson Combat still offers their AR9 with the Beretta receiver. Not an inexpensive solution, but takes Beretta 92 magazines.
https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Images/Rifle824_R.jpg

CleverNickname
12-23-2020, 12:36 PM
I'm not sure if Wilson Combat still offers their AR9 with the Beretta receiver. Not an inexpensive solution, but takes Beretta 92 magazines.

A better solution would be the Stern Defense MAG-ADB92 magazine block (https://getstern.com/mag-adb92/), a lower with a milspec 5.56mm magwell, and your choice of 9mm upper. I have the Glock magazine version of the Stern Defense magazine block and it works great.

Old Man Winter
12-30-2020, 06:58 PM
Nordic Components PCC is available with a Beretta 92 mag well.

TicTacticalTimmy
01-16-2021, 08:00 PM
https://caagearup.com/product/roni-stabilizer-roni-stab/

awp_101
01-16-2021, 10:04 PM
Imagine my dismay when I found there wasn’t nor had never been such a thing. Is there any reason other than marketing?
Because neither McClain nor Riggs ever requested one...

HCM
01-16-2021, 10:35 PM
So the thread about the 870 scattergat with a TDA trigger group along with my desire to have a carbine that uses 92 series magazines that isn’t a CX4 and doesn’t have Keltec stamped on it somewhere got me to looking for a MechTech conversion kit to stick on top of my M9. Imagine my dismay when I found there wasn’t nor had never been such a thing. Is there any reason other than marketing? Because I’d really like to see such a thing that didn’t compete with a Korth in cost.

Because carbine conversion kits suck and unless you live somewhere like Israel where you can only own 1 gun there is no good reason not to just get a dedicated carbine.

GearFondler
01-16-2021, 10:58 PM
Because carbine conversion kits suck and unless you live somewhere like Israel where you can only own 1 gun there is no good reason not to just get a dedicated carbine.If memory serves me correctly, the MechTech for the 1911 does not allow the thumb safety to be activated which is just crazy balls silly and dangerous. If I remember correctly.

GyroF-16
01-16-2021, 11:13 PM
Depending on budget, I’d look (again) at the CX4 (which I own, and am pleased with), and the Wilson Combat AR9 https://www.wilsoncombat.com/9mm/ (which was more money than I was interested in spending on a PCC).
I have a large supply of B92 mags, so I get the attractiveness of commonality. With the CX4 and a trigger upgrade from Papa Sierra
http://sierrapapacx4.com and an RDS, it’s a decent PCC.

Wheeler
01-17-2021, 07:58 AM
Because neither McClain nor Riggs ever requested one...

Your logic is impeccable sir. I should have taken this into consideration. :)

gato naranja
01-17-2021, 08:19 AM
Because carbine conversion kits suck and unless you live somewhere like Israel where you can only own 1 gun there is no good reason not to just get a dedicated carbine.

This.

But...

I have yet to find the perfect 9mm PCC. They all have at least one feature or functional issue that is a dealbreaker; this is weird considering there have been over 100 years to get it right. Beretta should blow the dust off the Modelo 38 blueprints, make it a semiauto that takes 92 magazines and then proceed to toss the CX4 TDP into the recyclables bin.

Wheeler
01-17-2021, 09:15 AM
If memory serves me correctly, the MechTech for the 1911 does not allow the thumb safety to be activated which is just crazy balls silly and dangerous. If I remember correctly.

That's not exactly correct.

Thumb Safety Lever – only the original GI style safety will function with the 1911 CCU. Extended length and ambidextrous safeties will not function as a safety but the CCU will function and fire in all other respects.

Suvorov
01-17-2021, 09:51 AM
I’d just be ecstatic if someone came out with a magazine conversion block for the Ruger!

zaitcev
09-07-2021, 11:43 PM
I’d just be ecstatic if someone came out with a magazine conversion block for the Ruger!
It's not easy, the notch on Beretta magazine is quite low. I'm going to look into it, but no promises.

Jim Watson
09-08-2021, 08:50 AM
Could you not cut an extra notch in the Beretta magazine? It would still work in the pistol.

Borderland
09-08-2021, 10:46 AM
This.

But...

I have yet to find the perfect 9mm PCC. They all have at least one feature or functional issue that is a dealbreaker; this is weird considering there have been over 100 years to get it right. Beretta should blow the dust off the Modelo 38 blueprints, make it a semiauto that takes 92 magazines and then proceed to toss the CX4 TDP into the recyclables bin.

I like carbines but I've never considered a 9mm carbine. There just isn't enough juice in the 9mm to justify the extra size and weight. Ruger's PC was a good idea but it's too heavy at 7 lbs. Come on man, you can do better than that. My M1 carbine weighs about 5 lbs and they designed that in 1942.

zaitcev
10-07-2021, 01:18 PM
As predicted, Beretta 92 is not easy. I knocked out a couple of all-3D prototypes, but they aren't working great. They are getting more complex with every revision, too. A complex design is not good. Harder to make, more to fail, costs get higher. You don't want a $100 adapter than only lasts a 1000 shots, right? I am about to go to metal for the one at the top of the picture. I'll report if it worked at the range.

zaitcev
10-07-2021, 01:32 PM
Could you not cut an extra notch in the Beretta magazine? It would still work in the pistol.
Ah yes, the AR-18 solution. Why, it certainly could work.

I think the biggest downside of it is that you have to do it yourself, unless someone sets up a business to modify and resell those magazines. It is a tedious work that you'll have to do every time you buy a new mag.

TicTacticalTimmy
10-09-2021, 01:15 PM
Ah yes, the AR-18 solution. Why, it certainly could work.

I think the biggest downside of it is that you have to do it yourself, unless someone sets up a business to modify and resell those magazines. It is a tedious work that you'll have to do every time you buy a new mag.

If curtting a notch is a viable solution, Might it be simpler to just 3d print a jig to act as a file guide for someone to easily do this at home?

I'm imagining a sleeve that fits over a B92 magazine body with a notch cut out for where the file/dremel should go. That should be pretty hard for the end user to screw up right?