PDA

View Full Version : The best Revolver for Self Defense

Glenn E. Meyer
12-22-2020, 02:15 PM
https://www.handgunsmag.com/editorial/six-best-revolvers-for-home-defense/386911

From my IDPA feed:

Kimber K6S TLE
Colt King Cobra
Taurus Judge
Ruger GP100
Smith & Wesson Model 69
S&W Performance Center M&P R8

Let the games begin. Which of this would you put in Grandma and Grandpa's underwear drawer for the bad times?

Of course, I have an opinion but I don't want to spoil the fun. :)

Spartan1980
12-22-2020, 02:20 PM
Any of them, but if I'm consciously stashing a firearm for bad times, it won't be the Judge. Any of the others would be my choice along with at least a dozen more. If a Judge was literally all there was, I'd grab it in a heartbeat but I'd never put it there to grab if you get my meaning.

Rex G
12-22-2020, 02:26 PM
GP100. No contest. It is a good revolver. It kilt the bear that kilt me. (Paraphrasing Hatchet Jack. ;) )

In two words: It fits.

Rex G
12-22-2020, 02:50 PM
GP100. No contest. It is a good revolver. It kilt the bear that kilt me. (Paraphrasing Hatchet Jack. ;) )

In two words: It fits.

Longer version: The original 1980s factory grip, on the GP100, is a perfect fit in my hand. My trigger finger naturally comes to a resting position, perfectly-placed for a DA trigger stroke. The length of the stroke, and the reset, are as natural as can be, for my hand/finger size, which had originally been programmed with L-Frame S&W revolvers. Having handled S&W revolvers that have gone “out of time,” or been “shot loose,” and one experience with an N-Frame leaf spring that snapped in two, inside my duty Model 58, DURING my duty shift, I appreciate the durability of the GP100.

I still have my first GP100, which I bought in the very early Nineties, and which I used, in 1993, in the “Gravest Extreme,” in a contest with “No Second Place Winner.” (Credit to Mas Ayoob and the late, great Bill Jordan, respectively, for those quotes.)

Had the Safariland 070 duty holster, for the GP100, not been so darned heavy, I might have continued to use a GP100 as my police duty revolver, until I retired. The polymer inside the 070 is heavy, per unit of volume, and the model for the GP100/Python was amazing heavier than the 070 holsters made to accommodate K-Frames, the 1911, Glocks, and SIGs.

In the Nineties, one cherry-picked among multiple samples of GP100, to find those with smoother actions. Then, someone at Ruger learned how to consistently make the actions smooth. Anecdotally, recent samples have to be closely inspected, for fitting issues, as some at Ruger have forgotten what QC means, but at least Ruger CS still has a reputation for quickly making things right.

The GP100 is not sock/underwear drawer gun, for me, but a normal carry gun. Life is good. :)

4given
12-22-2020, 02:52 PM
I would pick the GP 100

45dotACP
12-22-2020, 03:07 PM
GP100 for me. You can put compact grips on to enhance concealment and those grips have no effect on how shootable the gun is.

Which is very. I can produce on demand shots to an IDPA headbox (not the down zero part) at 20 yards with no warmup not having fired the gun in months. That's about as good as I'll be able to shoot a DAO pistol without significant practice.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

03RN
12-22-2020, 03:28 PM
Id pick the R8 with Ahrends grips

Stephanie B
12-22-2020, 03:39 PM
Of all of them on the list, about the only one I'd agree with would be the GP.100.

If you're talking about a sock-drawer gun that almost any adult can use, I'd go for a police trade-in Model 10/64. The ship may have sailed on the cheap ones (like the 64s that Southern Ohio Gun was selling three years ago for under $250), but they still can be found from time to time. Slap a set of CT laser grips on them and, for ~$500, you've got a gun that can be used by almost anyone. Maybe take those who would use it to a range every year and change out the ammo and batteries then. Add in a couple of boxes of Winchester Ranger +P or Gold Dot +P and you're good to go.

A Judge would be a last pick, and by that, I mean if the only choice was a mattock. The Model 69 is probably a lousy pick for most people: .44 Special ammo is not always readily available and .44 Magnum is a round for those who know what they're doing (and only a fool who desires to live the rest of their life wearing hearing aids will shoot one indoors).

The others (King Cobra, R8, K6S) are pretty frigging pricey for a sock drawer gun. The price of a R8 would get one two laser-equipped Model 10s and, in normal times, enough range ammo for practice for awhile.

CleverNickname
12-22-2020, 03:39 PM
Kimber K6S TLE - too new/unvetted IMO.
Colt King Cobra - too expensive
Taurus Judge - too Taurus-ey
Smith & Wesson Model 69 - Most older women I know are recoil sensitive, or would be if they were shooters. So 44 Mag for a grandma? Really?
S&W Performance Center M&P R8 - I still don't like S&W for the dumb lock. And what does the extra cost get you over the Ruger?
Ruger GP100 - yes

4given
12-22-2020, 06:21 PM
I'd go for a police trade-in Model 10/64.

That's my wife's nightstand pistol. Prison trade in. I hand picked it out of a lot of 14. 4" round butt 64 with Houge Bantam grips and 135 gr Gold Dots. She loves it.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?40587-His-amp-Hers-M64-M65-Restoration

Duelist
12-22-2020, 06:26 PM
Of all of them on the list, about the only one I'd agree with would be the GP.100.

If you're talking about a sock-drawer gun that almost any adult can use, I'd go for a police trade-in Model 10/64. The ship may have sailed on the cheap ones (like the 64s that Southern Ohio Gun was selling three years ago for under $250), but they still can be found from time to time. Slap a set of CT laser grips on them and, for ~$500, you've got a gun that can be used by almost anyone. Maybe take those who would use it to a range every year and change out the ammo and batteries then. Add in a couple of boxes of Winchester Ranger +P or Gold Dot +P and you're good to go.

A Judge would be a last pick, and by that, I mean if the only choice was a mattock. The Model 69 is probably a lousy pick for most people: .44 Special ammo is not always readily available and .44 Magnum is a round for those who know what they're doing (and only a fool who desires to live the rest of their life wearing hearing aids will shoot one indoors).

The others (King Cobra, R8, K6S) are pretty frigging pricey for a sock drawer gun. The price of a R8 would get one two laser-equipped Model 10s and, in normal times, enough range ammo for practice for awhile.

Even today, I had my choice of used blue Kframes at the LGS. .22lr, .22 Mag, .38, .357. Even one lonely .44 Mag. If I’m buying, and it’s gonna be a revolver, from the guns I saw today, grandma is getting a 15-3 or a K22 depending on ability to handle recoil.

They had several super UgHawks. For whatever reason. But no GP100s at all.

BehindBlueI's
12-22-2020, 06:27 PM
Let the games begin. Which of this would you put in Grandma and Grandpa's underwear drawer for the bad times?

How is Grammy and Paw-paws hand strength? Because some of those options are pretty damned stout. A 5 shot .44 magnum? C'mon....

Of the available options, probably the GP100. A Model 10 might be more betterer, though, depending.

JTMcC
12-22-2020, 07:06 PM
None of my 4 grandparents would of stood still for me thinking I could "pick" their guns, they'd already done that and held strong preferences. Same for my kids grandparents.

So that just leaves ME picking for ME and that would be the R8 hands down.

Blades
12-22-2020, 07:10 PM
Since I just bought it I'm going to say my 3" barrel SP101.

JRV
12-22-2020, 07:18 PM
Hand size? Strength issues? Arthritis? Eyesight issues?

My main concern with an older relative would be giving them a gun with a trigger that, at best, makes them less accurate and, at worst, is too far forward from the backstrap and too heavy to be pulled with an imperfect or compromised grip.

I’m going to go against the grain and just note that Kimber revolvers have incredible out-of-the-box triggers, as do the new Colts. They also come with very good sighting options.

If this is a Ronco Showtime Rotisserie Cooker gun (set it and forget it), six rounds of .38 in a steel gun with a “smedium” grip size, shorter trigger reach, premium trigger, and great sights would make for a nice option.

A second choice option would be an LCR 3” .357 loaded with .38s. Slightly more recoil than the steel options and one less round, but those triggers are incredibly light and smooth for factory guns.

Adam
12-22-2020, 07:22 PM
What a pile of hot garbage.

GP100 or the R8, probably the latter and with no dongs hanging off the rail that shouldn't exist.

Scal
12-22-2020, 07:23 PM
Anyone who includes a judge in a “good self defense revolver” lineup is.....let’s say....suspect. It involves less profanity than what initially came to mind.

deputyG23
12-22-2020, 07:29 PM

Model 10/64 is my recommendation when people ask my advice about a gun to keep in the house.
The RB M10 pictured was one of my authorized duty/off duty revolvers back in the day and now does duty as a “fire extinguisher” firearm.
My wife has enough residual hand strength left from a stroke she suffered twenty years ago to cycle it six times if needed.

Rex G
12-22-2020, 07:46 PM
For those concerned about the older folks’ hand strength, well, I am the grandpa, so I named my choice, for myself. ;)

FWIW, my father-in-law had amazing strong hand strength, into his very late Eighties, and might have managed a DA trigger stroke even into his early Nineties. We managed to get his Security Six away from him, however, when his mind started going, and he stopped recognizing family members.

Totem Polar
12-22-2020, 07:59 PM
I’d be fine with the Kimber, Colt, or GP. I’ve owned all three, more or less.

The R8 is sorta big. The 69 is sorta inappropriate.

The Judge?
GTFOOH...

Chuck Whitlock
12-22-2020, 08:11 PM
Which of this would you put in Grandma and Grandpa's underwear drawer for the bad times?

How is Grammy and Paw-paws hand strength? Because some of those options are pretty damned stout. A 5 shot .44 magnum? C'mon....

Of the available options, probably the GP100. A Model 10 might be more betterer, though, depending.

I'd lean toward an SP101 or new Colt Cobra with .38's.

Borderland
12-22-2020, 08:20 PM
I’d be fine with the Kimber, Colt, or GP. I’ve owned all three, more or less.

The R8 is sorta big. The 69 is sorta inappropriate.

The Judge?
GTFOOH...

This was the Judge. Sixty nine wasn't lost on me.

https://i.ibb.co/jfJPt5c/Judge.jpg (https://ibb.co/Rbjk8Sx)
upload image sites (https://imgbb.com/)

My choice isn't on the list but WTFDIK.

45dotACP
12-22-2020, 10:48 PM
A point worth noting:

My dad has psoriatic arthritis and one of his bad spots is the base of his thumb. My model 64, even with softy loads, was one of his least favorite guns to shoot.

He rented and later purchased a PC model S&W shield and both his accuracy with the gun, and his comfort shooting it were remarkably better. He got a up Lula mag loader because loading mags by hand sucked for him. He locks the slide back just fine and manipulates the gun well otherwise.

Revolvers are not always the best guns for the elderly or those with limited hand strength. Especially because there is no reciprocation of a slide to dampen the recoil

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

OlongJohnson
12-22-2020, 10:59 PM
Haven't we been averaging a new variation of this same thread about once a month for the past several?

And GP100, duh.

HeavyDuty
12-22-2020, 11:14 PM
I’m still impressed with how my K6 shoots. I wish I had the financial wherewithal to put some serious volume through it.

Bucky
12-23-2020, 06:32 AM
Model 10/64 is my recommendation when people ask my advice about a gun to keep in the house.

The 10 is a classic, for sure. I’m curious why the 10 is the go to, versus one of the K frames with non fixed rear sights?

gato naranja
12-23-2020, 07:39 AM
https://www.handgunsmag.com/editorial/six-best-revolvers-for-home-defense/386911Let the games begin. Which of this would you put in Grandma and Grandpa's underwear drawer for the bad times?

This grandpa chose a 4" GP-100 for his "retired geezer revolver." With the right load(s), it should be competent for any task I am likely to use it for from here on out. With a slightly reduced power hammer spring, factory compact grips and a Dawson front blade (green FO), it works well for all the old cats remaining under this roof.

And if I run it dry and/or ammo disappears, I suspect it also has a shot at winning "best contemporary revolver for use in the role of a bludgeon or thrown object" award.

revchuck38
12-23-2020, 08:24 AM
The 10 is a classic, for sure. I’m curious why the 10 is the go to, versus one of the K frames with non fixed rear sights?

It's really hard to knock fixed sights out of alignment, and the sharp edges of the S&W rear sight would snag easily on the socks in the drawer.

JonInWA
12-23-2020, 08:31 AM
GP100 hands-down, for durability and reliability. Or its predecessor, the Security/Service/Speed-Six.

One of the things that's quite nice about the GP100 is that you can go with either the OEM full-size Ruger grip (the rubbers one with the hardwood insert, not the Hogue abomination they offered as OEM when their more or less in-house grip manufacturer, Letts, went out of business-fortunately, they've found an alternate source in the last ear or so, so now both are offered as OEM and available after-market from Ruger) or the simiilar, but proportionationally downsized Ruger Compact grip.

For me, the Compact grip works superbly-both ergonomically and for concealment.

Best, Jon

Stephanie B
12-23-2020, 08:56 AM

It's really hard to knock fixed sights out of alignment, and the sharp edges of the S&W rear sight would snag easily on the socks in the drawer.
^^^^ This.

Also, when one considers the likely use distance for a home-defense revolver, fixed sights are going to shoot well into Minute of Critter (https://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/2006/08/that-didnt-hurt-for-long.html).

Duelist
12-23-2020, 09:51 AM

This is true. But I traded away a 3” 13-3, and one of the reasons was because the adjustable rear sight on the 15-4 I replaced it with is much easier to see for shooting.

Guerrero
12-23-2020, 09:57 AM
Haven't we been averaging a new variation of this same thread about once a month for the past several?

And GP100, duh.

Yes, but we SQUIRREL!

Glenn E. Meyer
12-23-2020, 11:11 AM
Having started the thread, I will now comment. I can't take the selection seriously as it had some guns that weren't practical for anything but the boutique user or the gullible. The Judge, a 5 shot 44 mag and the upscale Performance Center gun - give me a break. The standard 38/357 guns - sure, as most are saying.

I don't like articles like this with such titles. Want to discuss a selection of revolvers, fine. Silly titles - no.

That being said - my home SD revolver, I've mentioned before - given my little hands (hey, I should run for President, I'm in the right age group) is a SW 632 inch SS comp'ed gun with a fiber optic sight. The J fits my hand better and I can load with with 32 SW Long wadcutters up to flame throwing 327 magnums.

Now, really, I go for a Glock or two in a bedroom safe. If I need the revolver, I would have to go get it, so the crook can wait for a bit.

JonInWA
12-23-2020, 12:05 PM
Colt and Ruger adjustable rear sight blades are more buried in the bodies of the rear sight housing-and then there's always Bowen Rough Country and similar after-market options.

Best, Jon

revchuck38
12-23-2020, 12:49 PM
Colt and Ruger adjustable rear sight blades are more buried in the bodies of the rear sight housing-and then there's always Bowen Rough Country and similar after-market options.

Best, Jon

Someone who would do that wouldn’t be putting it in a sock drawer. :)

Lester Polfus
12-23-2020, 01:04 PM
As my dad’s arthritis progresses, his Beretta 92 is becoming less viable when it comes to loading mags, manipulating the slide and such.

He is warming to the idea of a GP100 with Wolff springs, a couple thousand trigger pulls provided by me and some Safariland comp 3 with one of their $20 loading blocks.

We will start with wadcutters and work our way up the power scale. Honestly, if we end with wadcutters it isn’t the end of the world.

Just waiting for prices and availability to settle down.

Stephanie B
12-23-2020, 01:20 PM
As my dad’s arthritis progresses, his Beretta 92 is becoming less viable when it comes to loading mags, manipulating the slide and such.

He is warming to the idea of a GP100 with Wolff springs, a couple thousand trigger pulls provided by me and some Safariland comp 3 with one of their $20 loading blocks.

We will start with wadcutters and work our way up the power scale. Honestly, if we end with wadcutters it isn’t the end of the world.

My only quibble is that I've had little luck with wadcutters and speedloaders. If you're going to handload, I'd suggest semi-wadcutters.

gato naranja
12-23-2020, 02:20 PM
My only quibble is that I've had little luck with wadcutters and speedloaders. If you're going to handload, I'd suggest semi-wadcutters.

I've had NO luck with wadcutters and speed loaders; I always end up putting them in speed strips. I can generally - though not always - persuade SWCs to cooperate.

Wicked City
12-23-2020, 03:20 PM
So just to be sure--the linked article in the OP is specifically mentioning revolvers for home defense, not self defense like this thread is asking.

I know home defense falls under the self defense category. However when I hear self defense I mainly think CCW, or woods carry. Home defense has a much different meaning to me. Maybe that's why the article mentions the Judge, since they are looking at if for home defense. I don't think many people consider the Judge a good CCW gun.

With that being said, I'd also go with GP100 for all of the above. 4in for home defense. 3in for CCW.

I recently saw an interesting video on why a retired NY cop chooses a revolver specifically as a nightstand gun, which he differentiates from a home defense gun. See this link:
https://youtu.be/7Dm__FAVzBs?t=301

Totem Polar
12-23-2020, 03:43 PM
This is true. But I traded away a 3” 13-3, and one of the reasons was because the adjustable rear sight on the 15-4 I replaced it with is much easier to see for shooting.

The fixed sight vs tier-2 eyes is the only reason I let my Denny Reichard-tuned NY-1 go.

I now have several options with adult sights, including a nice 66-1 that sits in my hill people kit bag with either Speer 135 GDHP (.357 version) or Remington Golden Saber (ditto). I think the GS is in the chamber, with 3 loaders of GDHP in the zipper front.

At any rate the sights are much better and the trigger not terribly worse.

I’ve moved a small fortune in fixed sight revolvers over the last year or two, to be frank. At the impending dawn of 2021, there is no reason to be putting up with 1921 sights. Imma gonna coin a phrase right now:

“Systemic Absurdity.”

Rex G
12-23-2020, 04:00 PM
For those worrying about fixed sights and advancing age, let’s keep in mind that “silhouette point,” as advocated by the late, great Jim Cirillo, works with every revolver, whether fixed-sight, “enhanced” fixed fights, such as Novak and C&S, factory adjustable, or enhanced adjustable, such as Bowen Classic Arms.

If one’s eyeglasses/contacts are not in place, or the light is deficient, silhouette point is all that any of us may be able to do. Some well-known competitors, names not remembered, at the moment, used the term “shooting of of the notch.” Mas Ayoob used a different term, IIRC, in his _Stressfire_ book.

There is, also, “shouting out of the notch,” looking over the top of the weapon, which is exactly how I defended myself, one night, in 1993. A normal sight picture would have meant that I would have been unable to see the knife in his left hand. Yes, the sights were within my visual field, for reference regarding windage, but this was target-focused shooting. My opponent did not need to have rings, or an “X,” on his chest, for me to hit that X.

HeavyDuty
12-23-2020, 04:48 PM

The fixed sight vs tier-2 eyes is the only reason I let my Denny Reichard-tuned NY-1 go.

I now have several options with adult sights, including a nice 66-1 that sits in my hill people kit bag with either Speer 135 GDHP (.357 version) or Remington Golden Saber (ditto). I think the GS is in the chamber, with 3 loaders of GDHP in the zipper front.

At any rate the sights are much better and the trigger not terribly worse.

I’ve moved a small fortune in fixed sight revolvers over the last year or two, to be frank. At the impending dawn of 2021, there is no reason to be putting up with 1921 sights. Imma gonna coin a phrase right now:

“Systemic Absurdity.”

Bowen Rough Country rears are the only way I can tolerate S&W adjustable revolvers - the original sight picture is unworkable for me due to all the different angles and planes.

Joe in PNG
12-23-2020, 04:54 PM
So just to be sure--the linked article in the OP is specifically mentioning revolvers for home defense, not self defense like this thread is asking.

For the same price points, one would probably be better suited to look at longguns for "home" defense over any handgun. If cost is a factor, and one is only able to afford one single gun, then something that could be carried would be a better use of funds.

I know home defense falls under the self defense category. However when I hear self defense I mainly think CCW, or woods carry. Home defense has a much different meaning to me. Maybe that's why the article mentions the Judge, since they are looking at if for home defense. I don't think many people consider the Judge a good CCW gun.

The general consensus here regarding the Judge is that it's a terrible handgun all around. The manufacturer has a well deserved reputation for making jankey guns. It's too big to be a proper 5 shot .45, but not exactly a great shotgun. A shell made for small game doesn't suddenly become a hall clearing, gibbet spraying, Cone-0-Death because it's getting launched from a shorter barrel. .410 is a small, light load with not a lot of pellets coming out to begin with, and a short, revolver barrel isn't helping to push those few little pellets into an especially useful velocity.

Stephanie B
12-23-2020, 07:16 PM
I posted this in the "One S&W" thread; it probably should have gone here:

Other than being a 3”, this Model 65 is set up for being a perfect sock-drawer gun.

Squeeze grips, put red dot on Intruding Critter, press trigger. Repeat as necessary.

ralph
12-23-2020, 07:56 PM
For the same price points, one would probably be better suited to look at longguns for "home" defense over any handgun. If cost is a factor, and one is only able to afford one single gun, then something that could be carried would be a better use of funds.

The general consensus here regarding the Judge is that it's a terrible handgun all around. The manufacturer has a well deserved reputation for making jankey guns. It's too big to be a proper 5 shot .45, but not exactly a great shotgun. A shell made for small game doesn't suddenly become a hall clearing, gibbet spraying, Cone-0-Death because it's getting launched from a shorter barrel. .410 is a small, light load with not a lot of pellets coming out to begin with, and a short, revolver barrel isn't helping to push those few little pellets into an especially useful velocity.

I couldn't agree with you more.. But, it's stunning how many Cleetus's and Lukey-Bob's think that somehow, a .410 launched from a handgun is the ray-o-death.. Personally, I've run into a few of these types, and it's a waste of time trying to dissuade them, cold hard facts roll off their pea brains like water on a duck...

Joe in PNG
12-23-2020, 08:01 PM
I couldn't agree with you more.. But, it's stunning how many Cleetus's and Lukey-Bob's think that somehow, a .410 launched from a handgun is the ray-o-death.. Personally, I've run into a few of these types, and it's a waste of time trying to dissuade them, cold hard facts roll off their pea brains like water on a duck...

There's also the derpy idea that it doesn't need to be aimed- or any shotgun at close range.

Lost River
12-24-2020, 08:25 AM
The firearms industry is really having a tough time coming up with material I guess, if that is what they come up with for article material.

Of the list, for a house gun, the GP-100 makes sense.

That said, if I was offering options, I would have put on the list:

4" standard Model 19. .38/.357

3" Performance center Carry Comp Model 19 (for those who want a fancy gun) .38/.357

https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/model-19-0

4" Model 10. .38 Special

3" adjustable sighted, Model 60 J Frame (the gun you tuck in your old man shorts to answer the door)

https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/model-60-0

2.5" Model 325 Nightguard .45 ACP

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/archive-model-325-night-guard

Ruger

Speed six
Security six
GP-100

Any of the above Rugers in a 4" barrels would work, though I prefer adjustable sight versions.

Of the above, I think the 2.5" Night Guard loaded with some 250 grain full meplat .45 Auto Rim would be Big Medicine. My friend Jim Wall of the Milt Sparks shop killed his elk 2 years ago shooting .45 Auto Rim out of his century old 1917.

https://i.imgur.com/BnLGEVm.jpg

If it is good enough for that, then it would probably work on a disadvantaged socialist trying to redistribute wealth..

Stephanie B
12-24-2020, 09:16 AM
There's also the derpy idea that it doesn't need to be aimed- or any shotgun at close range.

So, should we open nominations for the Official P-F Derp Gun? Maybe subcategories for semis and revolvers, with an overall Grand Champion of Derp?

gato naranja
12-24-2020, 11:14 AM
The firearms industry is really having a tough time coming up with material I guess, if that is what they come up with for article material.

That trend has been accelerating for some time. I will admit, though... with enough people out there like me - a guy who now thinks a S&W 640 and an LTT 92 Elite (or good 9mm 1911) might actually fulfill 99% of my handgun needs - they almost have to come up with filler. In a world awash in AR long guns and SFA pistols, I'd want to be the guy who gets to write about Remington Model 8s and Radom P 35s, not the poor schlep who has to appeal to the general run of gun buyers and rag readers.

It is sort of fun to witness people discovering revolvers for the first time... and I get the chance often, being surrounded by a younger set that have been targeted by semiauto marketing hype for their entire lives. They won't bother to dig for Elmer's or Skeeter's thoughts, so there is still a need for quality articles on wheelguns.

Speed six
Security six
GP-100

Any of the above Rugers in a 4" barrels would work, though I prefer adjustable sight versions,

The SP101 in its 4" .357 iteration is a delightful revolver for use with .38 Special +P if one can live with only five holes in the cylinder. I had considered giving the one we had to my parents for the role of the "load it and leave it" (in the drawer) gun that was so beloved of the elderly acquaintances of my childhood;* circumstances made that impossible, and it is one of the surprisingly few firearms which I still regret trading away. Unlike with the GP-100, I actually like the rubber Hogue monogrip made for the SP101.

*The generation that were already responsible adults at the advent of the Great Depression.

OlongJohnson
12-24-2020, 12:03 PM

Perilous times. The situation you describe is exactly what led to them trying to build some excitement with "assault weapons" back in the '80s and we know where that led.

Dave T
12-24-2020, 12:41 PM
Since the title of the OP includes "for Self Defense", I will throw this out for your consideration.

After retiring from law enforcement I ran my own firearms training business for 10 years. Most of that was training/certifying folks for concealed carry permits so I got a lot of beginners and new gun owners, or soon to be gun owners. It was the rare class when I wasn't asked...what's the best gun for self defense, or concealed carry. When I tried to get into the weeds, as we are inclined to do here, I frequently saw their eyes glass over. I had lost them. Eventually I came up with a simple, stock answer:

The best handgun for self defense or concealed carry is...they one you will have with you.

No gun and you're chit out of luck. Any gun and you at least have a chance of defending yourself short of grappling. Yes it needs to be of sufficient power (what ever that is). Yes it needs to be controllable so you can hit your target. Yes you should be able to reload slicker than puppy chit on a tile floor. Yadda, yadda, yadda!

And I tried to explain, the correct answer can be different for different people. Some were willing to carry a steel Government Model Colt or Browning Hi-Power. Others wouldn't carry anything bigger than a Baretta Tomcat. I just hoped and encouraged them to practice some with what ever they had. Most didn't but a few, like the 1911 or P-35 guys did.

Same thing applies to choosing a revolver. You probably won't have your pet 6.5" M-29 with you. You might have a J-frame or an LCR every time and a few will have a K or L frame (my 386 NG fits here) or the GP100 so many favor. Best is a combination of features but number one on the list, IMO, you have to have it with you.

Dave

Edster
12-24-2020, 07:51 PM
At the impending dawn of 2021, there is no reason to be putting up with 1921 sights. Imma gonna coin a phrase right now:

“Systemic Absurdity.”

I can't "like" this enough. If the firearms market wants a new idea, please try putting usable, upgradeable sights (both front and rear) on revolvers as a standard thing.

I genuinely gave a 642 an honest try for a couple of years. It was with reluctance I decided it wasn't the right gun for my needs.

I tried a Crimson Trace grip. It was useful as an option but I didn't want to break myself from a hard-earned habit of finding the sights first.

I tried painting the front orange and the rear black. That helped a little but it didn't make them any bigger or more visible in iffy light.

Then there was the challenge of finding ammunition that actually hit where the sights were regulated.

As good as the aluminum J frame is as an "always" gun, one magazine from a buddy's Glock 43 with just the stock sights made the truth painfully clear. I could give up a small amount of concealment flexibility but gain a lot in better hits.

Totem Polar
12-24-2020, 07:58 PM
As good as the aluminum J frame is as an "always" gun, one magazine from a buddy's Glock 43 with just the stock sights made the truth painfully clear. I could give up a small amount of concealment flexibility but gain a lot in better hits.

Right? Tout le monde rips on the worthless plastic OEM glock sights, but if S&W put a big white bucket on the rear of a 642, and large, plain white dot up front, the gunternet would think it’s the second coming.

There’s really no excuse. Thanks to S&W, people are buying 2” Kimber revolvers, and being really happy with them. Serves S&W right.
:D

gato naranja
12-24-2020, 09:47 PM
I can't "like" this enough. If the firearms market wants a new idea, please try putting usable, upgradeable sights (both front and rear) on revolvers as a standard thing.

Ruger ought to think about putting Novak-style rear sights on every SP101 that doesn't get fully adjustable rears, but no-o-o-o-o...

...and to add insult to injury, they seem to put the WC cylinder taper on every .38/.357 SP that goes out the door.

Rocket surgeons.

JHC
12-25-2020, 08:22 AM
For those worrying about fixed sights and advancing age, let’s keep in mind that “silhouette point,” as advocated by the late, great Jim Cirillo, works with every revolver, whether fixed-sight, “enhanced” fixed fights, such as Novak and C&S, factory adjustable, or enhanced adjustable, such as Bowen Classic Arms.

If one’s eyeglasses/contacts are not in place, or the light is deficient, silhouette point is all that any of us may be able to do. Some well-known competitors, names not remembered, at the moment, used the term “shooting of of the notch.” Mas Ayoob used a different term, IIRC, in his _Stressfire_ book.

There is, also, “shouting out of the notch,” looking over the top of the weapon, which is exactly how I defended myself, one night, in 1993. A normal sight picture would have meant that I would have been unable to see the knife in his left hand. Yes, the sights were within my visual field, for reference regarding windage, but this was target-focused shooting. My opponent did not need to have rings, or an “X,” on his chest, for me to hit that X.

Quoting you just because I like this post so much and it's as good as any to offer an observation. ;)

OK so I've got two new synthetic lenses since bilateral cataract surgeries and I have spectacular 20/10 distance acuity. But close in focus is just like any old person; challenged. And a few inches in sight radius makes a noticeable difference ie my 5" 1911 front sight doesn't look too bad but the little front blade on my Model 36-1 2" looks really rough.

I certainly have a tendency with paltry front sights to have my hits go high at speed because of the unconscious desire to see some front sight which leads to canting the barrel up where I can see the front sight. Then compounding this with target focus - high hits.

I observed the higher POI even even with the full size guns shooting target focused and Kevin B remarked to me that it's pretty common for POI to raise in target focused shooting. That was news to me but I'd just observed it in practice myself. FWIW.

OK, back to revolver sights, I don't see anywhere near this effect shooting the 351 .22 mag with its big white ball front sight vs the shortish black ramp front sights on my Model 36 and Model 10 3".

So yes to Totem Polar 's point. OEM sights need an upgrade in this market.

Polecat
12-25-2020, 08:47 AM
Quick thoughts on some revos:

Ruger LCR seem heavy and Low capacity in the .22LR and WMR, should offer aluminum cylinders with 8 and 9 rounds.

All should offer the night Fision as factory standard.

Duelist
12-25-2020, 09:23 AM
Quoting you just because I like this post so much and it's as good as any to offer an observation. ;)

OK so I've got two new synthetic lenses since bilateral cataract surgeries and I have spectacular 20/10 distance acuity. But close in focus is just like any old person; challenged. And a few inches in sight radius makes a noticeable difference ie my 5" 1911 front sight doesn't look too bad but the little front blade on my Model 36-1 2" looks really rough.

I certainly have a tendency with paltry front sights to have my hits go high at speed because of the unconscious desire to see some front sight which leads to canting the barrel up where I can see the front sight. Then compounding this with target focus - high hits.

I observed the higher POI even even with the full size guns shooting target focused and Kevin B remarked to me that it's pretty common for POI to raise in target focused shooting. That was news to me but I'd just observed it in practice myself. FWIW.

OK, back to revolver sights, I don't see anywhere near this effect shooting the 351 .22 mag with its big white ball front sight vs the shortish black ramp front sights on my Model 36 and Model 10 3".

When I bought my M60, I had the choice of several all-steel Jframes. One was an M60-1, another an M60-9 LadySmith, and then there were a couple of 640s.

The 60-1 had the skinniest, most useless little silver blade I’ve ever seen on a gun. It looked like a piece of a table knife or butter knife had been brazed on there - serrations and all.

One of the 640s had a trigger action that was to die for, but it had been shot loose with a bunch of .357s. The other had a terrible trigger but was basically unfired. They had integral front sights that were superior dimensionally to the 60-1, but were still milled integrally with the barrel, and silver.

The 60-9 had a great trigger, but was basically unfired, and had a substantial, black, and pinned ramp front sight. It is very easy to see and use (for now, anyway).

I got the 60-9. I will likely replace the front sight at some point. And I imagine I will probably put a big dot on my 642 at some point. For now, Testor’s Orange painted on the front and Sharpie blackened rear is what the 642 gets.

I am aware of the “coarse index” methods such as “shooting out of the notch”, using the silhouette, etc. That can be done with any sights, not just miniscule old revolver sights, but it’s still nice to be able to hit the target precisely when that is called for. Hence, getting the 15-4 instead of keeping the 13-3, and the 60-9 now gets most of my Jframe range time.

jtcarm
12-25-2020, 05:27 PM
I am grandpa and don’t have a sock drawer gun.

A 3” 64 is either AIWB or on my nightstand.

Since grandma is freaked if there’s no manual safety, a 3913 sits on a shelf in my closet for her.

Glenn E. Meyer
12-26-2020, 03:04 PM
3913 LS? I love that gun but didn't get one when I had the chance (broke - sigh).

SW should reintroduce the 3913 MILF (sorry for the bad taste).

willie
12-26-2020, 04:16 PM
I have owned and shot as many revolvers as most here. I recommend any Colt, S&W, or Ruger double action revolver in at least 38 Special. The longer the barrel the better. Though I would not suggest to Blues that he select a single action revolver for this purpose, I have a Ruger New Model Vaquero .45 Colt in my sock drawer. Ammo is factory lead. In the same drawer I have a Mossberg Shockwave in 20 gauge. The drawer is that wide. In my plan these are last ditch weapons.

Pol
12-26-2020, 11:08 PM
Anecdotally, recent samples have to be closely inspected, for fitting issues, as some at Ruger have forgotten what QC means, but at least Ruger CS still has a reputation for quickly making things right.

A couple of folks over at S&W have also forgotten.

gato naranja
12-27-2020, 07:57 AM
I have owned and shot as many revolvers as most here. I recommend any Colt, S&W, or Ruger double action revolver in at least 38 Special. The longer the barrel the better. Though I would not suggest to Blues that he select a single action revolver for this purpose, I have a Ruger New Model Vaquero .45 Colt in my sock drawer. Ammo is factory lead. In the same drawer I have a Mossberg Shockwave in 20 gauge. The drawer is that wide. In my plan these are last ditch weapons.

Our GP-100 and 870P are probably last ditch weapons as well as utility guns, but our normalcy bias keeps us from thinking too much about the former. Neither firearm is something we ever suddenly have an urge to take to a range and shoot recreationally, though with reduced power loads, they remain manageable at our age.

(The last session of 3" 00 buckshot run through that stubby pump gun gave me the notion of "gifting" any boxes of magnum shells to people who don't mind taking the consequences. In a 4" GP-100, full power .357 ammunition remains viable for me, if not for la gata naranja.)

willie
12-27-2020, 08:40 AM
12 GA 3 inch buckshot punishes the shooter even in heavier sporting shotguns. Low recoil 2.75 buckshot is mild. Perhaps you can trade the 3 inch stuff for something else. I shoot the Ruger 45 Colt from time to time and keep it near by when fishing or playing afield. I even have shot loads for a deadly serpent if he should be in the wrong place.

SCCY Marshal
12-28-2020, 08:48 AM
Assuming a house gun, I'd ignore the list and channel the spirit of the late Stephen Camp (https://hipowersandhandguns.com/favorite_handguns-S&W%20Model%2064%20Snub.htm). A 2" S&W model 10 with Barami Hip-Grips, grip adapter, and painted front would stow in any number of places, be easily slipped into the waistband for door answering and either occasional or regular carry. Be a K-frame both at the range and in a fight while having less barrel for an adversary to grab. Barring that, just give me a 4" pencil barrel with square butt and I could still happily go through the rest of my life.

Ruger LCR seem heavy and Low capacity in the .22...WMR, should offer aluminum cylinders with 8 and 9 rounds.

You may change your mind the first time you stab yourself with an ejector rod while trying to knock nine fired magnums loose at the same time. I'm pretty cool with their chosen six-round capacity in that chambering.

Given Smith's spotty track record with aluminum cylindered rimfire snubs, I dig Ruger's steel. I've spoken with several 43C owners who sent their gun back to mothership once or even several times. My LCR has been run hard, beat up, soaked, and just keeps going. A buddy is on his second 3" LCRx in 22 WMR after his daughter claimed the first as her new nighstand and errand-running gun. Other than being fussy about primers, as many 22 magnums are, they have both run like tops.

Item #1 on my list of things to do after this current panic settles is score a normalized availability 3" LCRx in 22 Long Rifle, replace the stock with the boot grip standard on the 2" guns, bake myself an OWB field holster, zero for my squirrel rifle load, and use as a kit gun during big game season to possibly pot upland game but definitely stay out of my way. And I'd only choose Long Rifle over WMR for ammo commonality in my hunting supply crate and quieter report prioritized over flatter trajectory. Were it just a backcountry camping gun, I'd instead lean toward the magnum.

The LCR was made right, in my opinion. Not sure I'd trust an aluminum cylindered gun to handle life in the field like I've personally seen the existing ones earn a reputation for. Personally okay with a design seeming to lean toward rugged service life over the greatest weight reduction. But my mission profile is probably different from most.

JHC
12-28-2020, 10:39 AM
You may change your mind the first time you stab yourself with an ejector rod while trying to knock nine fired magnums loose at the same time. I'm pretty cool with their chosen six-round capacity in that chambering.

Interesting. I love my 351 but I don't think I've ever turned it over and with a single SHARP smack of the ejector rod, got all 7 to drop clean. Always a bit of picking. You don't see that with the LCRx?

SCCY Marshal
12-28-2020, 11:38 AM
Interesting. I love my 351 but I don't think I've ever turned it over and with a single SHARP smack of the ejector rod, got all 7 to drop clean. Always a bit of picking. You don't see that with the LCRx?

Yes and no. The rule of IF. If you keep the cylinder clean, if you use a load it likes, if you get the muzzle vertical, if you give a sharp rap to the rod, they scoot out as reliably as a K-frame thirty-eight. Nickled cases also help.

Use ammo that expands tightly, start hitting promers with second strikes which stake them more tightly in place, let if get dirty, start getting lazy with reloads, you run into problems. The ejector rod is very much full-length in 22LR but not in WMR. So J-frame rules apply in lack of tolerance for shortcuts.

Still easier to get along with than any seven or nine shot 22 WMR revolver I've ever tried. The nines in particular have been brutally intolerant of anything outside the ideal.

DueSpada
12-28-2020, 11:12 PM
Kimber K6S TLE
Colt King Cobra
Taurus Judge
Ruger GP100
Smith & Wesson Model 69

That list hardly seems a sincere effort for "Six Best Revolvers for Home Defense". More like the usual
gunmag ad copy fluff. One would like to see guns that had a bit of a track record. The absence of the
S&W Model 10 tells the tale.

Joe in PNG
12-28-2020, 11:19 PM
Kimber K6S TLE
Colt King Cobra
Taurus Judge
Ruger GP100
Smith & Wesson Model 69

That list hardly seems a sincere effort for "Six Best Revolvers for Home Defense". More like the usual
gunmag ad copy fluff. One would like to see guns that had a bit of a track record. The absence of the

One could speculate that the list is written more to confirm the pre-existing biases of the potential readers, and thus hopefully entice them to buy the mag for validation.

JHC
12-29-2020, 06:07 AM
The absence of the

Of my wheelie stable I'd gravitate to my 3" Model 10 or so cool Royal Hong Kong Police surplussed 4" pencil barrel Model 10. Both have old days buttery actions.

That said I've got a AIWB holster from FIST for a 4" N frame and my Model 28 is not that bad in it. It's trigger is pretty heavy albeit smooth. It's a 28 no dash that is tight as a bank vault but I sense the recent dry fire is tuning the DA pull a bit.

And I'm just theese close to ordering a Dale Fricke Gideon for my 6" Model 14. ;)

(2021 is looking like a year of transition to shooting a lot more .38 because I've got a shitton of brass whereas I haven't saved a bit of my 9mm for the past 20 years)

revolvergeek
12-30-2020, 06:29 PM
https://www.handgunsmag.com/editorial/six-best-revolvers-for-home-defense/386911

From my IDPA feed:

Kimber K6S TLE
Colt King Cobra
Taurus Judge
Ruger GP100
Smith & Wesson Model 69

Of course, I have an opinion but I don't want to spoil the fun. :)

Of that list either the Ruger GP100 or the S&W Performance Center M&P R8 (my preference). The Kimber is smaller and harder to shoot, the Original King Cobra was mostly junk and the new one is promising but unproven, the Judge is ... well the Judge (.410 is *mostly* useless out of short 2-3" barrels and Taurus quality control has bit me several times now), and the 69 is fun but only holds 5 rounds. If you are going to load The Grams up with low recoil ammo, more is better. 8 wadcutters with a red dot sight and a weapon light could settle a lot so stuff...

revolvergeek
12-30-2020, 06:32 PM

This is VERY good advice.

Malamute
12-30-2020, 08:47 PM

Just saw this.

Are you in the general practice of taking a fine or deliberate sight picture on most everything you shoot with a pistol or rifle even in the fastest shooting?

This has been brought up before, how one shoots fast, what sight picture. I may be doing it wrong, but Ive had the most success shooting fast on moving stuff or just quick shooting by looking over the sights. I dont try for a perfect sight alignment, I want to see whats going on and whats around the target as well. Ive always shot shotguns this way, just looking over the sights, not trying to "aim" them closely on the target, and can shoot rifle or pistol sights the same way, or shoot rifle sights on a shotgun on skeet clays as well as the common shotgun beads.

If youre trying to put the sights right on things yet still see more of the front sight, if I can make a suggestion, you may need to adjust how you see the sight picture. My sight picture for fast shots or moving stuff has the sights slightly lower on or even below the target. Set the gun up on a rest aimed at something, raise your head just slightly so you can see just over the sights and more of the target, and try to get used to shooting with that sight picture for quick stuff. It worked well cleaning off a line of empty shotgun shells with a lever 22 as quick as I could run the lever, gradually going out to 25 yards, then on running rabbits and squirrels. Stuff thrown in the air starts to get easier. Ive never been able to get a clean perfect sight picture in a hurry. Bazillions of rounds of rimfire shooting may have helped me refine doing it wrong, but it seems to work pretty well.

JHC
12-31-2020, 06:15 AM
Just saw this.

Are you in the general practice of taking a fine or deliberate sight picture on most everything you shoot with a pistol or rifle even in the fastest shooting?

This has been brought up before, how one shoots fast, what sight picture. I may be doing it wrong, but Ive had the most success shooting fast on moving stuff or just quick shooting by looking over the sights. I dont try for a perfect sight alignment, I want to see whats going on and whats around the target as well. Ive always shot shotguns this way, just looking over the sights, not trying to "aim" them closely on the target, and can shoot rifle or pistol sights the same way, or shoot rifle sights on a shotgun on skeet clays as well as the common shotgun beads.

If youre trying to put the sights right on things yet still see more of the front sight, if I can make a suggestion, you may need to adjust how you see the sight picture. My sight picture for fast shots or moving stuff has the sights slightly lower on or even below the target. Set the gun up on a rest aimed at something, raise your head just slightly so you can see just over the sights and more of the target, and try to get used to shooting with that sight picture for quick stuff. It worked well cleaning off a line of empty shotgun shells with a lever 22 as quick as I could run the lever, gradually going out to 25 yards, then on running rabbits and squirrels. Stuff thrown in the air starts to get easier. Ive never been able to get a clean perfect sight picture in a hurry. Bazillions of rounds of rimfire shooting may have helped me refine doing it wrong, but it seems to work pretty well.

Depending on definitions of the first bolded part, I'd say definitely not. I'm very much a sight shooter and a "flash" sight picture since I was a kid. I've only recently in the last few years started to experiment with target focus shooting. But to put flash sight picture in perspective here is an example of what I mean with flash sight picture from a couple weeks ago. R1s shot from ready at 7 yards, times noted, not pushing, just shooting for process, visual confirmation, patience, press. Basically an "up drill". The hits pretty precise but the sight picture not what I'd call precise. Just flash.

Closer than 7 yards with the need for speed, just visually confirm with just a silouette metal on meat thing shooting. Works for lower and upper alpha shooting. Definitely not precise there.

Re the 2nd bolded part - that's really interesting and something I've never really done. I grew up duck hunting and was really a pretty lousy wingshot. I was also growing up shooting slowfire precision pistol and I remember I was always trying to sight with the shotgun bead and never understood why I sucked at it so bad. Starting to connect the dots.

Also, the only luck I ever had at running game, rabbits, was with a shotgun. Probably only because a rabbit is so much slower than a blue winged teal with a tailwind. But no luck with a .22 rifle. Not a ton of repetitions at it though.

In pistol competition against Texas stars I've shot pretty well but shot quickly in correct sequence the movement of the targets can be minimized.

What you're describing sounds very clear and I'll give that some work.

Thanks for putting so much into this suggestion!

Malamute
12-31-2020, 10:09 AM
If I can get time Ill see if I can make a couple pictures to better illustrate what Im trying to say.

Ive only hunted small game with a shotgun a few times, i didnt like the shot in the meat or the gutshot effect it had, so mostly used pistols and rifles.

Malamute
12-31-2020, 10:16 AM
Depending on definitions of the first bolded part, I'd say definitely not. I'm very much a sight shooter and a "flash" sight picture since I was a kid. I've only recently in the last few years started to experiment with target focus shooting. But to put flash sight picture in perspective here is an example of what I mean with flash sight picture from a couple weeks ago. R1s shot from ready at 7 yards, times noted, not pushing, just shooting for process, visual confirmation, patience, press. Basically an "up drill". The hits pretty precise but the sight picture not what I'd call precise. Just flash.

By "flash" sight picture do you mean a "normal" sight picture of top of front sight and top of rear sight even and quickly put on spot (6 oclock, right on or whatever is normal for slower fire) you intend to hit, just doing it quickly?

JHC
12-31-2020, 10:33 AM
By "flash" sight picture do you mean a "normal" sight picture of top of front sight and top of rear sight even and quickly put on spot (6 oclock, right on or whatever is normal for slower fire) you intend to hit, just doing it quickly?

No, by "flash sight picture" I mean no effort to center the post or even it up. Just front post on the spot to hit and shoot. Grip, press, index etc make the hit or not. That is how I have understood it from "The Modern Technique" described here.

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2017/6/30/col-jeff-coopers-modern-technique-of-the-pistol/

Others esp here term it "see what you need to see" etc. As ranges increase more sight alignment is needed this way depending on the individuals skill with the other components (grip, index, press etc).