PDA

View Full Version : Shield 45acp discontinued?

h1x
12-21-2020, 09:58 PM
Looking to get another 45 for carry and noticed on the Smith&Wesson site under shield it only shows the 9mm. Went to some of the other on line shops and some are saying its discontinued or out of stock. Is this permanent or are the manufacturers just pumping out whats popular now. I also looked at springfield for a XDS 45 and it only showed the XDE 45 being made now....

Joe in PNG
12-21-2020, 10:09 PM
I don't know about that, but Bud's has them (https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/110545/smith+%26+wesson+12474+m%26p+performance+center+sh ield+m20+45+acp+double+action+33+ported+nts).

zaitcev
12-21-2020, 10:47 PM
Looking to get another 45 for carry and noticed on the Smith&Wesson site under shield it only shows the 9mm.

Seems to show it fine for me:
https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/mp-shield-m20?sku=11531

Admittedly, I had to click through the whole selector to get to that URL, starting with "No Restrictions" and so on.

RJ
12-22-2020, 07:03 AM
https://us.glock.com/en/pistols/g36

?

No experience with them, but it’s a subcompact in .45.

HeavyDuty
12-22-2020, 08:53 AM
https://us.glock.com/en/pistols/g36

?

No experience with them, but it’s a subcompact in .45.

The one Glock that I’ve owned that I couldn’t get rid of fast enough... I’d love to see them rethink it, because I feel there is a market for a reliable subcompact .45 in their line.

mmc45414
12-22-2020, 08:59 AM
Admittedly, I had to click through the whole selector to get to that URL, starting with "No Restrictions" and so on.
I found it as well without issue.
Just checking in here to say that I have one and like it. It is just a little bigger enough that my hands can get three fingers on the grip without the extended magazine. Though I do admit I have not carried or shot it that much, but it is pretty cool.

psalms144.1
12-22-2020, 03:36 PM
I had one, and like the 45FS I paired it with, it was exceptionally accurate and reliable. My problem is I insist on actually shooting my carry guns quite a bit, and .45 ACP in a package that thin and light just wasn't working for my aging hands and wrists. I could shoot it just fine - speed not surprisingly below comparable single stack 9mms with increased accuracy, but, after 100 rounds or so, my hands and wrists would sing to me for quite a while.

I sold it to a friend who's younger and shoots a LOT less, and he's totally happy with it.

If they made a version with the M&P's safety on it, I'd probably pick another one up, just 'cuz.

zaitcev
12-23-2020, 12:12 AM
The exceptionally thin grip of Shield 45 accentuates the recoil, at least for me. Although, .45 ACP is just powerful for a gun as small as this, no matter what. I have a Charter Arms .45 ACP revolver with a round grip that kicks harder than Shield 45. It's just not as fun as I used to think.

I am quite impressed by the reliability of the Shield, because I had some trouble with other guns in the same format, in particular Kahr P45 was a problem child. It didn't think it was possible to make a small .45 run with a 1000 round interval between babbles, but here we are.

pew_pew
12-23-2020, 11:41 PM
I noticed that their website is new. I think things haven’t been carried over yet.

Although, I seem to remember that they always make lots of model deletions and additions about this time of the year so who knows?

I’ve shot a 45 shield before and thought it was very pleasant. I’ve been wanting one but would love the regular shield grip texture on the 45 for carry.

Vista461
12-24-2020, 12:01 AM
My wife shoots my 45 shield better than her 9mm shield, and she likes it more too.
She’ll likely be stealing it at some point.;)

deputyG23
12-24-2020, 11:58 AM
One of my subordinates bought one right after their introduction and let me borrow it for the weekend.
Felt good in the hand, accurate at seven yards and closer, and decent trigger pull.
Chronographed a few loads through it and the slowest was some 2000-era Speer Lawman ball which averaged 698 FPS.
Fastest was Georgia Arms 185 grain +P with a Speer Unicor (aka Gold Dot) at 947 FPS.
Another inch or so of barrel would have improved those readings, I believe.

Squib308
12-24-2020, 09:14 PM
I’m not a huge fan of the shield 9mm, but the shield 45 shoots amazingly well in my hand. It’s the only M&P I’ve kept. Got no use for it but can’t bring myself to sell it.

claymore504
12-26-2020, 09:15 AM
One of my subordinates bought one right after their introduction and let me borrow it for the weekend.
Felt good in the hand, accurate at seven yards and closer, and decent trigger pull.
Chronographed a few loads through it and the slowest was some 2000-era Speer Lawman ball which averaged 698 FPS.
Fastest was Georgia Arms 185 grain +P with a Speer Unicor (aka Gold Dot) at 947 FPS.
Another inch or so of barrel would have improved those readings, I believe.

They have a 4 inch model now as well.

zaitcev
12-26-2020, 03:35 PM
I’m not a huge fan of the shield 9mm, but the shield 45 shoots amazingly well in my hand. It’s the only M&P I’ve kept. Got no use for it but can’t bring myself to sell it.
Pretty much my situation too with having no mission for the Shield 45. I took it to Steel Challenge, because it's the only match that favours its small magazine capacity, but that's about it. I'm a victim of the sunken cost fallacy too: I have extra magazines, holsters, etc.

revolvergeek
12-30-2020, 06:44 PM
I am quite impressed by the reliability of the Shield, because I had some trouble with other guns in the same format, in particular Kahr P45 was a problem child. It didn't think it was possible to make a small .45 run with a 1000 round interval between babbles, but here we are.

No experience with a Shield, but the Kahr C45 was very very slow to shoot for me. Rather like a CA Bulldog .44 spl with warm load. I loved the Kahr in theory but eventually gave up on it and sold it off.